We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What recipes are aquamarine shards for?

Just popped a steel lockbox (60-69) open, and inside were 6 aquamarine shards. No one on glff on riddermark at the time I opened it knew what they might be for.

Any ideas?

Re : What recipes are aquamarine shards for?

T7 Recipe not available through guild or NPC or random kill drop but can be acquired from the store for 1000TP

Cheers
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001df064/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Re : What recipes are aquamarine shards for?

Quote Originally Posted by lunafatal View Post
    T7 Recipe not available through guild or NPC or random kill drop but can be acquired from the store for 1000TP

Cheers
    Example?

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Re: What recipes are aquamarine shards for?

Read sarcasm and Turbine's potential store abuse
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001df064/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Example?

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer
    The only example I know of was some of the tier 6 Lore Master pet treat recipes. Turbine forgot to populate them in game. They were only available in the store 3? months or so. It is real easy for this situation to happen.

The crafting developer creates the recipes, the entries in the recipe book, the material list that is part of the recipe and the materials themselves. Populates them in the game data. The store folks pull the recipes out of the recipe data table and populate them the store.

All it takes is someone forgetting the completion steps in the game data. Attaching the recipe to a NPC so it sold. Putting the recipe in a loot table. Putting the special material as loot on a specific mob. Things go awry.

At one point you could get the shell pieces for the Turtle bracelets from Turtles in the Water works. Turbine removed the turtles. There was a big shortage of the shell pieces.

There have been cases of crafting materials being put in the game. There is no active recipe that calls for that crafting material. Scholars had that situation for a long time. There were a couple materials that were not used. Eventually Turbine took those materials out of the game.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    At one point you could get the shell pieces for the Turtle bracelets from Turtles in the Water works. Turbine removed the turtles. There was a big shortage of the shell pieces.
    Not sure what you're saying here. There are turtles in the Water Works now, and I've gotten speckled shell fragments from them.
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    Not sure what you're saying here. There are turtles in the Water Works now, and I've gotten speckled shell fragments from them.
    The turtles were there (in the waterworks), then they removed them, then they eventually put them back and to the best of my knowledge they're still there.
    Must remember to engage brain before using keyboard

So, what about the Aquamarine Shards now?
    Put into the game 2009, but never used?
    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Item:Aquamarine_Shard

Replaced by Mithril Flakes?
    Wer Hilfe will, muss Informationen liefern.
    >> Lotro World transfer status <<

Quote Originally Posted by Amrundir View Post
    So, what about the Aquamarine Shards now?
    No idea.
    Put into the game 2009, but never used?
    Never seen one in game. Never seen any recipe that calls for them.
    Replaced by Mithril Flakes?
    Nope.

One of the problems with the Lorebook is that there is a dump of the game data. You will find all these disconnected entries. Like a crafting mat that somebody created. Put in the game data. Nobody populated to a resource node, vendor or loot table. You can't acquire it. Nobody added to the material of a recipe.

It is not only crafting materials. You will find recipes, NPCs, mobs, loot items, instances ... All in the lore book as extracted from the game data. It is incomplete. There is something missing. It will never be completed. It was for content what was canceled.

Rarely does Turbine go and clean up the data tables. Once in a while, somebody will come along and go - neat - I will reuse this item. Often people are afraid to clean up - because they are not sure what is going to happen. Often are afraid to reuse the item - because they are not sure what is going to happen.

It is pretty easy to miss an obscure usage. When the crafting developer changed the names on some low level crafted gear as part of a stat upgrade. The developer made a bunch crafting quests not completable because they required the now removed item name.

If Turbine had better export tooling you wouldn't see this data. It would be exported. A crawler would go over the data and delete all the incomplete entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    You may be too new to Lotro. You may have missed out on some history. Or forgotten it.

Back in the Moria days. Turbine added the Filikul raid. Nobody could do the raid to start with because we had to complete a server event to unlock the raid. As part of the server event, Turbine populated the Water Works with those turtles. We got a bunch of those shell fragments. Nobody knew what to do with them. The recipe was only found in the not open Filikul raid. It resembles this aquamarine shard issue.

In update after the launch of Filikul, took all the Turtles out of Water Works. You couldn't get the shell fragments any more. We cried and fussed for six+ months asking Turbine please add some Turtles somewhere in Middle Earth to get the fragments.

Eventually Turbine went the cheap route, turned the Turtles back on in the Water Works. Driving people crazy again because the Turtles were by far the highest level mob in the Water Works.

Turbine has a problem that can't seem to solve. They don't understand how a feature works. They don't have any mechanism to make sure that it is complete and working. It is almost as if they are building cars. Nobody understand the car well enough to know if all the features work. Nobody turns on the headlights. Somebody didn't install the fuses. Turn signals don't work. Somebody forget to connect the wires. The car doesn't start. Nobody put in gas in the tank.

Most modern software is highly compartmentalized like cars. Many people working together each doing one little specialized piece of the car. At the end, there are car level people that make sure all the features work. Turbine has lost this capability. In software development we call these people integration test, system test and Quality Assurance.

Aquamarine shard is obviously an example of this situation. We got one piece of the puzzle. We don't know if the puzzle can be finished. Good thing to check is go to the Lotro Store. If there is an extant recipe, it should be in the store even if there is no way to get the recipe in game.

I'd say, the aquamarine shards match the other crafting levels. Tier 5 (master) has beryls to polish by jewellers and beryl shard as crit item. All other tiers have their corresponding items, too.
    T6 (supreme master) has aquamarines, so it would be logical, to have aquamarine shards as the crit item for that tier. Instead we got Mithril Flakes.

Aquamarin Shards are still somewhere in the databases. And now, they found their way into the loot table for steel boxes.

Tier 5 (master) has beryls to polish by jewellers and beryl shard as crit item. All other tiers have their corresponding items, too.
    T6 (supreme master) has aquamarines, so it would be logical, to have aquamarine shards as the crit item for that tier. Instead we got Mithril Flakes.
    <Jewel> Shards never come from polishing <Jewels>. They only come from mob drops from"shard-droppers". Os such is my expereince and my jewller has polished thousands of <Jewels>.

Edit: I mis-read the quoted post. Apologies.
    Last edited by mjk47; Mar 10 2012 at 04:26 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by mjk47 View Post
    I'd say, the aquamarine shards match the other crafting levels. Tier 5 (master) has beryls to polish by jewellers and beryl shard as crit item. All other tiers have their corresponding items, too.
    <Jewel> Shards never come from polishing <Jewels>. They only come from mob drops from"shard-droppers". Os such is my expereince and my jewller has polished thousands of <Jewels>.
    I don't believe Amrundir was trying to imply that they did. He did call them a crit item though, when they are just an ingredient for one shots and/or guild recipes. Which may have led to the confusion. He was simply pointing out that the tier the jewel is polished in matches with the tier that the shard is used in. For example as a tier 5 jeweler one of the gems to polish in that tier is beryl and therefore a beryl shard is used as an ingredient in tier 5 recipes. Logically based on this pattern then a aquamarine shard would be intended for tier 6.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
    I don't believe Amrundir was trying to imply that they did. He did call them a crit item though, when they are just an ingredient for one shots and/or guild recipes. Which may have led to the confusion. He was simply pointing out that the tier the jewel is polished in matches with the tier that the shard is used in. For example as a tier 5 jeweler one of the gems to polish in that tier is beryl and therefore a beryl shard is used as an ingredient in tier 5 recipes. Logically based on this pattern then a aquamarine shard would be intended for tier 6.
    Ah yes, you are indeed correct. I mis-read. Apologies if any offence caused. Will correct my original post.
    TANSTAAFL

Sorry for the confusion. DemonWolf said, what i originally wanted to say. No crit item, but ingredient. And matching just for the names.

But, some years ago, there where questions in advice channel "who can make me beryl shards from beryls?"

I just opened a level 60-69 loot box and received 10 aquamarine shards,

I bugged it.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
    [...] simply pointing out that the tier the jewel is polished in matches with the tier that the shard is used in. For example as a tier 5 jeweler one of the gems to polish in that tier is beryl and therefore a beryl shard is used as an ingredient in tier 5 recipes. Logically based on this pattern then a aquamarine shard would be intended for tier 6.
    Excepting tier 2, which uses "opals" and "bloodstones" but the shards are "sapphire shards". Of course, Turbine keeping any patterns fully consistent throughout the craft system would be a bloody miracle, so chalk this up as the exception that proves the rule.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    You may be too new to Lotro. You may have missed out on some history. Or forgotten it.

In update after the launch of Filikul, took all the Turtles out of Water Works. You couldn't get the shell fragments any more. We cried and fussed for six+ months asking Turbine please add some Turtles somewhere in Middle Earth to get the fragments.
    The shell fragments weren't completely gone. From the Waterworks, yes. But there was also Gonflad, an Elite Turtle rarespawn on Tyl Ruinen (Evendim) who occasionally dropped a shell fragment. I camped Tyl Ruinen for two (real life) months, several hours a day, to get 20 adamant shards in total and three shell fragments. (The rarespawn trigger was you had to kill three certain unnamed turtles on the island and then Gonflad would spawn. This could happen every two or so hours)
    I got two priceless turtleshell bracelets (crits) and was extremely happy. But I'm glad they are now obtainable much ... much easier.
    Ow... and there are also shell fragments in Nornuans loot table. But I don't know for sure if they were there in the beginning...
    Knight of Iluvatar - Gilrain. Playing LotRO since july 2007.

Miridor -85- HTR. Avine -75- LM. Emero -75- RK. Branth -75- WRD. Garnata -53- BRG.