We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What is everyone's RP experience on LotRO?

I've been RPing for years. Mainly on MUSHs. Because of the all text medium of those games most have people that use proper punctuation to the best of their ability.

I've been a member of a kin, and while everyone is very friendly in it, we had a RP event scheduled for tonight. Around 30 people turned out. It was very chaotic. People RPing between the fellowship channel, emotes, and say. Very improper use of grammar. It was just hectic.

The nail in the coffin for me was when someone used OMG in their emote.

Now... I hope someone out there will tell me there is much better RP out there. I like the kin and the members, but... the RP is atrocious.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e412d/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: What is everyone's RP experience on LotRO?

Which kin?

I don't really want to kin-bash. So I'll refrain from mentioning names. The people have been really friendly, but the RP was just awful.

Everyone's understanding of RP can be different. For some, it's /me sips beer in the Prancing Pony. For some, it is composing elaborate poems in Elvish and then precenting them. For others it is having a nice little competition on how many goblins they can kill in Moria. I'm in a very small & casual kin, but my experiences with the "Event RP" in public events has been very positive. (On Laurelin as a heritage of starting there with a few European players of a former LotR-themed NWN server.)

On my kin's dealings, there are times when we go "heavy RP" and do everything in character. And then there's times of grind & wild mass OOC on /k. Though we try to keep /say and /emote strictly IC. Others are assumed to be OOC, unless for example /f is used for shouting - though funnily enough considering the default colours, as the /emote range is longer than /say, /emote is also somewhat suitable as a shout. (/say and /emote are only range-limited channels - RP over /k, for example, can be trouble, unless you all are telepaths.)

Finally, experience on RP can and will vary. The first version of Mithfindel the character was a grey-haired Noldo Elf! (His story has since changed a bit, including the hair color being ash blond, and thus "grey" only in comparison to dark-haired Noldor.)

Which server are you on? I can't speak for the others, but I know Landroval has a very diverse and populated community of RPers. Almost everyone I meet while there has a good grasp on punctuation and grammar. Every now and then I will run into people whose typing makes me cringe, but many are willing to learn and make themselves better.

My advice to you is to hang in there. Perhaps visit the Prancing Pony during the evening hours and hang out for a bit - you are bound to find something that suits your tastes.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]