We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3 months to get a Kinship house?

My brother and I are playing through LOTRO for about 5-8 days now - enjoying it as an imersive RP and story telling experience. We put together our own Kinshinp and were really looking forward to setting up our Kinship house and decorating it.

But after some head scratching and research on the lotro wiki we've discovered that a Kinship has to be 3 months old to own a kinship house?!?!?

Is this info true? Is there any way to get a kinship house earlier?

3 months from now we'll probably be finishing our journey through the game (and may then move onto something else) - but its a big bummer to find out we wont be able to enjoy setting up our own shared house as part of the experience

Re: 3 months to get a Kinship house?

Um, if you only plan to play this game for a couple of months, I don't really see why you'd want a kin house anyway. You do realize that lots of people have been playing this game for upwards of 5 years? Hrm, your join date is Mar 2007, so just coming back or what?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000002f807/01008/signature.png]Hrodberht[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Feralon View Post
    Is this info true? Is there any way to get a kinship house earlier?
    You could always buy an older kinship from someone else. Otherwise no.
    3 months from now we'll probably be finishing our journey through the game (and may then move onto something else) - but its a big bummer to find out we wont be able to enjoy setting up our own shared house as part of the experience
    Buy a pair of personal houses. You might be able to find two homes next to each other. Put your brother's characters on your home's access list. Your brother does the same. Have fun.

I have two accounts. I have two deluxe homes. My characters share them. I do not have the convenience of next to houses. I wanted the same address for both accounts. That address is near the NPCs and the exit. It does not take long to ride out and come back in.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

If you're not going to be playing LoTRO long enough for your kin to get a house, you won't be seeing a whole lot of LoTRO. The game is not focused on a race to level cap and then departure. It's much more of an "enjoy the journey, pause to smell the roses" kind of game. And if it comes to that, the game isn't actually "complete" yet. New areas are still being added and we're heading--slowly--towards the climactic events of the books.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by Hrodberht View Post
    Um, if you only plan to play this game for a couple of months, I don't really see why you'd want a kin house anyway. You do realize that lots of people have been playing this game for upwards of 5 years? Hrm, your join date is Mar 2007, so just coming back or what?
    I own 2 lifetime accounts and I originally played at pre-launch. Although I consider LOTRO the most visually beautiful MMO I've seen so far and I love the lore and the immersion factor there are other aspects of the game that I just cant get past in order to play this game long term (too many of the classes, sound affects and combat animations just feel wrong to me - for example watching a minstrel swing a sword and then quickly whip a flute out of their pocket to play a quick tune and then take another swing with their sword...I mean I just cant get past how odd some of those things are) - and too many of the classes seem to be screaming at the mobs all the time - the sound affects are just loud. abnoxious and also not immersive to me.

But I'm enjoying the opportunity to get some quality playtime in with my brother and I do enjoy the captain (and probably only the captain) so I'm having fun with what will likely be a single playthrough from 1 - 75 and then I'll move on most likely because of the longer term issues I have with the game.

But decorating a house and filling it with stuff is something we both love to do and too many MMO's dont offer that feature so it was something we were both looking forward too

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    If you're not going to be playing LoTRO long enough for your kin to get a house, you won't be seeing a whole lot of LoTRO. The game is not focused on a race to level cap and then departure. It's much more of an "enjoy the journey, pause to smell the roses" kind of game. And if it comes to that, the game isn't actually "complete" yet. New areas are still being added and we're heading--slowly--towards the climactic events of the books.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer
    We aren't racing at all. We log about 4-5 hours a night and we spend alot of time crafting (I've got 2 crafters and he has one) but I still expect it wont take us more then 3 months to reach max level at 25-30 hours a week. Maybe I'm wrong but given the pacing so far to level 20 and how much time we spent not actually leveling and doing stuff in the other starter zones.

If your saying the journey to max level will take more then 300-400 hours played then maybe we'll still have time to enjoy a Kinship house for the last stages of our time in middle earth

If your saying the journey to max level will take more then 300-400 hours played then maybe we'll still have time to enjoy a Kinship house for the last stages of our time in middle earth
    It is easily doable in 300 hours. Four hours a level. Especially since are not new to Lotro. One thing to remember, once you leave - you kinship will soon be disbanded. The kin hall will be released and all its contents will be destroyed.

Personal house are pemanent ownership. You will be locked out of your home. The home and its content will still be there for you.

If decorating is more important than longterm playing I suggest you move over to Sims.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Personal house are pemanent ownership. You will be locked out of your home. The home and its content will still be there for you.
    This is your best advise. You don't want to risk losing everything like that in the event you decide to take a break. Like others have said, find a community where you can get houses next to each other and grant each other the correct permissions!

One thing to remember, once you leave - you kinship will soon be disbanded.
    Really? After "we" all left a while back, when I recently logged on again the guild was still there. I made a new character, grabbed guild leadership from the previous leader, transferred it to the new char, and left with both my chars. Not really sure why I did it like that, I guess it's just in case I want it back for some reason.

The way I understand it, the clock is ticking again, so after a while somebody else can grab the guild from my leader char, but it will still stay around "forever".

It's just that personally, I'd never buy a house. The running costs are crazy, and they don't stop when you're not playing... and a single mule provides more storage space for free.

Other: Zyhar

Current objective: Continue towards Moria.

I think what was meant was that if the two of you leave (and presumably, your characaters are the only ones in your kinship) then they will be nobody else in aforementioned kinship, and it will disband.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000104486/01008/signature.png]Everferth[/charsig]

After waiting so long, hovering by the kinship house we wanted, issuing crazed prayers that it not be taken, my head would pretty much explode if they made them easier to get.

I know, I know - it shouldn't bother me if people suddenly get things easily, when I had to work for them, but it would complete devalue the glee and I hope they don't cave to, 'me, now.'

Quote Originally Posted by Kargor View Post
    Really? After "we" all left a while back, when I recently logged on again the guild was still there. I made a new character, grabbed guild leadership from the previous leader, transferred it to the new char, and left with both my chars. Not really sure why I did it like that, I guess it's just in case I want it back for some reason.
    In larger guilds, there is always someone that is active - Still playing the game. Someone willing to use Usurp to become leader.

When you do a small kin like what you are talking about. A two person kin. You both are going to quit after 3 or 4 months. The kinship going away. That what happened to some of my friends storage kins. They had a single player kinship. They did not log in for six months. All gone.

You could appoint a caretaker player. You are making the following assumptions which may not happen:

1) They continue playing.

2) They usurp the leadership

3) Now they are leader. You come back. They are willing to let you have leadership. They could lock you out. My kin.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Feb 11 2012 at 01:03 PM.

@the OP: check the requirements in game for a kinship house purchase. They may have shortened the time requirements from what is listed on a website.

While not related to housing, as a captain, you get all your "shout" related skills in the first 10 (I believe) levels. Point being, yes, you are yelling a lot during those first levels of play because that is all you have. As you gain more skills and spread things out, it's less annoying.

You mentioned minstrel skills--I assume your brother is playing a minstrel. If you aren't so annoyed as to give up, you might want to consider a different class combo. Minstrel+champ/guardian/hunter...captain+champ/burglar/lore-master, something like that. There will be less of the shouts and cries, and a bit more balance in your duo.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    @the OP: check the requirements in game for a kinship house purchase. They may have shortened the time requirements from what is listed on a website.

While not related to housing, as a captain, you get all your "shout" related skills in the first 10 (I believe) levels. Point being, yes, you are yelling a lot during those first levels of play because that is all you have. As you gain more skills and spread things out, it's less annoying.

You mentioned minstrel skills--I assume your brother is playing a minstrel. If you aren't so annoyed as to give up, you might want to consider a different class combo. Minstrel+champ/guardian/hunter...captain+champ/burglar/lore-master, something like that. There will be less of the shouts and cries, and a bit more balance in your duo.
    We are playing Guard/Captain so not too much shouting going on - the amount my captain shouts is livable for me and the rest of the class is pretty fun. I was throwing out the minstrel more of an example of my issues with the game overall in terms of why I likely wont play it long term (and haven't before when I've tried it) - My wife usually plays healer and she played minstrel when we tried LOTRO at launch and the constant noise and lack of immersion drove us away. I'm loving the game within the narrow focus of my brother and I's little duo. And LOTRO is hands down the best MMO I've ever seen (even given its current age) and since I've moved to a triple monitor rig visuals have become even more important to me then they were before (and they were always high on my list of things that matter).

Honestly my dream MMO is to take the class flexibility and combat flow/timing of EQ2 or RIFT but go with LOTRO's visuals and overall world design and I'm in heaven. I've played pretty much every MMO since UO and they all come with their own pros and cons and quirks and many MMO's have managed to be 'best-in-class' in some aspect.

For LOTRO I'd have to say its easily best in class for visuals and world building and the player base is one of the nicest I've met both in game and on the forums (minus the guy in this thread with the Sims comment but I guess WoW cant hog all the ashats in the world right)

I'm crossing my fingers that maybe they relaxed the waiting requiremens but since Kingoms of Amular just came out I'ev also got something else to do (as does my brother) so for now we'll just park out characters and wait 2 months before playing again. I realize our entire kinship will disappear after we stop playing but for us thats ok with both of us. Comparing LOTRO's waiting mechanic to EQ2's guild housing where you have to level your guild before you can buy a house - it might take you 3 months in EQ2 to do enough writs and other things to level up your guild but at least its a grind you feel you have some control and choice about while still accomplishing the same thing

You know... If you're bouncing from game to game and don't want to play LoTRO without a kin house, you could set up the kinship and play something else for 3 months (only logging in once a month to keep the kinship active), then come back, buy the kin house and doing the playing you're planning on. Probably want to do some playing in the mean time so you'll have the funds to buy the kin house, though.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

You will need 8 members or alts to make the kin, if you go below that number you have 5 days to get another member or it disbands. The leader has to be inactive 65 days (with the successor or other officers/members not usurping the role) for the kin to be dissolved.

While you are waiting both of you should get a deluxe house in the same neighborhood, preferably a new one with all the kin houses open, that way when you are rank 7 there is a good possibility one kin house will still be avail to you to buy in that same neighborhood. Yes, you will have both ports in the same area but it makes up for it in convenience to be able to run to the kin from your house. It takes a long time but anticipation of the event is one to look forward to and is a real thrill to finally reach.

and to the poster who said to go join sims.... pffft. lots of lotr enjoy the housing and decoration aspects to the game.

So you want a kinship house for a game that you don't expect you'll be playing for longer than the 3 months it takes to gain the house...correct?

Why even bother making a kinship? Do you want to have an active community built around you in this kinship, or is it just for you and your brother?

If you do want to make an actual kinship with other members, it seems a little cruel to recruit x people when in 3 months you and your brother will be leaving. If you do go through with making an active kinship, what would your plans be with it? You couldn't possibly make a raiding kinship, once again due to the fact you're leaving, so it would be a solely RP kinship?

It all boils down to one question: Why bother making the kinship in the first place? It just seems like a waste of effort on your part.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001dd565/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Palladius View Post
    So you want a kinship house for a game that you don't expect you'll be playing for longer than the 3 months it takes to gain the house...correct?

Why even bother making a kinship? Do you want to have an active community built around you in this kinship, or is it just for you and your brother?

If you do want to make an actual kinship with other members, it seems a little cruel to recruit x people when in 3 months you and your brother will be leaving. If you do go through with making an active kinship, what would your plans be with it? You couldn't possibly make a raiding kinship, once again due to the fact you're leaving, so it would be a solely RP kinship?

It all boils down to one question: Why bother making the kinship in the first place? It just seems like a waste of effort on your part.
    The kinship is just my brother and I and we've filled it with my wife's old toons plus mine and his and a few alts. We want the kinship house for a couple reasons:
    1) We enjoy housing in general
    2) We enjoy the time and effort it will take to fill the Kinship with stuff from our journey
    3) There are ZERO neighborhoods on our server with 2 deluxe houses available in the same hood.
    - so if we just bought individual houses there wouldn't be any connection between us
    4) I'm not sure I understand the 'but you'll just be wasting your time argument I keep seeing from folks.

Is the 2 years I played UO wasted now that I have moved on? What about the 2.5 years in DOAC? I played WoW for 3 years with my wife but dont play anymore - was all that time wasted too? I just watched Safehouse last friday but now the movies over and I likely wont see it again - did I waste my time and money on that?

I'm 43 years old, My brother is 36. We live in seperate states. We both enjoy playing together and we love RPG's and fantasy settings. This is a great way for us to share something together and work together for a common goal. A Kinship house is a great mechanism that lets us pool our resources together to accomplish something in the game TOGETHER that still fits our play schedule and time contraints without requiring commitments with other players or larger groups that we cant make

I dont know why that simple concept seems like a 'waste of time' in so many peoples eyes. The value for me is the quality time I get with my brother. And that value goes up if ther is something we can do in the game that requires both of us contributing together

Have you started playing yet? Which server are you on?

I have a personal kinship and kin house on Brandywine which I'd be happy to lend out to you for a few months. It's just me in the kin, and I could pull down the decorations and throw them in the chests and let you decorate. I'd even leave kin chat so you could chat in peace--it's not as if I use it for anything.

If you're on my server and interested, send an in-game mail to Zoltan.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Have you started playing yet? Which server are you on?

I have a personal kinship and kin house on Brandywine which I'd be happy to lend out to you for a few months. It's just me in the kin, and I could pull down the decorations and throw them in the chests and let you decorate. I'd even leave kin chat so you could chat in peace--it's not as if I use it for anything.

If you're on my server and interested, send an in-game mail to Zoltan.
    Landroval I think...bummer we almost rolled on Brandywine though. I can chat with my brother and see what he thinks about maybe rerolling to take you up on your offer? On the flip side we are both hooked on Kingdoms of Amular atm so we might already have a good time sink for the next 3-4 weeks before we get back to playing LOTRO and that puts us 5 weeks into the 12week wait

The reason people are saying it's a waste of time is that you said in your OP that you didn't think you would play for much longer than it took to get to cap, because you dislike many of the game's components. A kinship is something I at least think should be taken seriously, if you're going to make one you should at least have some form of commitment to the game, but as you don't that statement is irrelevant.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001dd565/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I would rather see you buy houses than tie up a kinhouse. Let the kinhouse be for people who plan to stay... you said you are not going to be here in 3 months, then get houses a you will learn how to travel between each others houses. You can buy a house in Bree, Shire, Thorin's Gate and just outside Duillond... there has to be houses there for you instead and those you can have right away.
    ~ Itariele RK 105 ~ Itarille LM 105 ~ Gladden ~ Elendilmir

=^_^=

It is easily doable in 300 hours. Four hours a level. Especially since are not new to Lotro. One thing to remember, once you leave - you kinship will soon be disbanded. The kin hall will be released and all its contents will be destroyed.

It may be right a kin house goes if the kin disbands, but I left Vilya with a personal Kin Hall a couple of years ago. All characters were still in the kin. I recently went back to find it locked but still intact WITH its ciontents. It seems so long as the kin requirement of 8 members is maintained the Hall stays just like the houses. I did cost a few gold to redeem it but all is active again now

Quote Originally Posted by Itarwen View Post
    I would rather see you buy houses than tie up a kinhouse. Let the kinhouse be for people who plan to stay... you said you are not going to be here in 3 months, then get houses a you will learn how to travel between each others houses. You can buy a house in Bree, Shire, Thorin's Gate and just outside Duillond... there has to be houses there for you instead and those you can have right away.
    There are more empty Kinship houses then deluxe houses available (at least on Landroval) by a factor of 2-3. Seems to me we'd be more considerate getting a Kinship house then 2 deluxe houses since the deluxe is whats most in demand while Kinship lots are a dime a dozen in comparison.

The standards are so small they aren't even worth getting (which seems like others agree since they are empty in droves). Deluxes are super hard ot get and there are zero neighborhoods that have 2. Most have zero and a very short list have a single deluxe available to purchse. While many neighborhoods have 3 or even all 4 kinship lots still open.

If they were hard to come by in terms of availablilty we would definately be concerned about keeping a resources locked up that other more long term players might want but it seems like the 'right' thing to do in terms of that is actually get a Kinship instead of both getting deluxes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast