We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Transfer character to different account service?

This gets asked every once in a while but I was wondering if Turbine has any plans of ever implementing a cross account character transfer service..? I have two accounts, one which I never use but would love to get my level 50 Guard onto my main account. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who wants to do that.

Re: Transfer character to different account service?

You aren't I had to re-roll my lvl 54 Hunter when I decided to transfer to a different one of my accounts.

I was not happy.

However I do understand that they want to prevent the whole character selling thing.
    --

It has been asked for a lot. There are a lot of limitations with the character transfer tooling. One of the reasons for not offering this service is that I doubt their tooling is capable of performing this transfer. Expanding the capability of the tool is not a high priority. For example:

1) It took six months after Codemasters shut down before EU to EU servers became available.

2) It is not possible to transfer between EU and NA servers because the tooling does not support it.

3) Customers with character on the EU servers can not copy their characters to Bullroarer to test content. The character copy tool can't handle the EU data format.

4) It is not possible to return to a server you transfered off of.

Even if your request is something Turbine wanted to do, you got a long wait. Point 4 has been a limitation for two years. We have no clue as to when 3 or 2 become available. Maybe Turbine will get 2 and 3 resolved in 2012. There is little financial incentive for Turbine to allow it. The ability to combine accounts allows customers to minimize their purchases of content packs and expansions.

For example, I bought a second account years ago because the maximum number of slots per account was 5. I could not play all seven classes. If I were to strip the two high level characters off that second account, I would not need to buy two copies of the expansion packs going forward. In my case, both accounts are lifetime accounts. It does not make economic sense to give up the extra Turbine Points - 6,000 points per year. If it was a regular account that I was paying for game time or Premium account. It would make financial sense to get those characters off the second account.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; May 22 2012 at 07:53 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Is there a way to copy the characters looks somehow, so if I want to reroll my char on a second account I can make him look exactly the same?

Muriell

Quote Originally Posted by Muriell View Post
    Is there a way to copy the characters looks somehow, so if I want to reroll my char on a second account I can make him look exactly the same?

Muriell
    When I create a new character I write down the numbers by the selection. For the color choices I make a partial diagram, just enough so I know where the setting is (relative to the top/bottom, and nearest letters in the title or edge). Same for the last setting (waist/chest whatever it's called). Also note down the origin (such as Mirkwood, Lothlorien, etc) as this affects the color selections. This gives me enough to make a very close copy of the look if I create the same character on another server (as close to an exact copy as what you can get having to eyeball some of the settings). This should work for you.

If you don't have the numbers for an existing character, take several screenshots: front, side, back, midway between front/back, etc. Enough to allow you to make a copy of the look. Will need to put LOTRO into windowed mode if you don't have two systems to use. Had to do this when I made a new character on Bullroarer and liked it so I recreated it on a live server. This was also before they had the numbers on the character creation screen.

You can also use a Barber in-game to get some of the values/settings (limited, but helps). Just use cancel after so you don't pay anything for looking.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

This is another service I wish they would offer in the store. Perhaps someday they will but as Yula has indicated the financial gains may never out weigh the costs to implement it.

Welden
    Welden of Elendilmir

I also have two subscriptions (as a holdover from when the maximum number of character slots was less than the number of classes), so I can understand the desire for this. But transferring between accounts would both be technically very difficult (as Yula mentioned) and it would also bring up problems with character selling. Either of those reasons alone would likely prevent it happening.

I like Muriell's suggestion of being able to save appearance settings and assign them to a new character, though. That sounds much more feasible and quite useful.

Warcraft used to offer this service and may still do so. They restricted it to just between IDs owned by the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    There is little financial incentive for Turbine to allow it. The ability to combine accounts allows customers to minimize their purchases of content packs and expansions.
    Actually there is. I have two accounts. One is mine (my main) and one is my wife's (my secondary). When I started playing in 2008 I let my son create a character on our secondary account to play LOTRO with me. Now that he's 15 going on 16, and his RK is lvl 54 he wants to be able to play with his dad AND mom instead of just dad. But if what is posted above is true, then there's no way for us to make a 3rd family account, that we own, and transfer his lvl 54 RK over to his own account because the lack of tooling and Turbine worried about character selling.

But here's what they are missing from me & my family: If I could create a 3rd account for my son and get his lvl 54 RK transferred to it then I would be buying a 3rd copy of Isengard, a 3rd copy of Rohan and whatever other new expansions come out plus have a 3rd VIP account. So they are missing out the $50 I paid for Isengard pre-order, the $70 I paid for Rohan pre-order, and the $120 a year I would pay for a 3rd subscription.

So they just missed out on an extra $200 from my household to allow my son to play his lvl 54 RK that he's worked all the way up by himself to his own account.

That's not enough financial incentive for Turbine?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001c20b4/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Anthronole View Post
    Actually there is. I have two accounts. One is mine (my main) and one is my wife's (my secondary). When I started playing in 2008 I let my son create a character on our secondary account to play LOTRO with me. Now that he's 15 going on 16, and his RK is lvl 54 he wants to be able to play with his dad AND mom instead of just dad. But if what is posted above is true, then there's no way for us to make a 3rd family account, that we own, and transfer his lvl 54 RK over to his own account because the lack of tooling and Turbine worried about character selling.

But here's what they are missing from me & my family: If I could create a 3rd account for my son and get his lvl 54 RK transferred to it then I would be buying a 3rd copy of Isengard, a 3rd copy of Rohan and whatever other new expansions come out plus have a 3rd VIP account. So they are missing out the $50 I paid for Isengard pre-order, the $70 I paid for Rohan pre-order, and the $120 a year I would pay for a 3rd subscription.

So they just missed out on an extra $200 from my household to allow my son to play his lvl 54 RK that he's worked all the way up by himself to his own account.

That's not enough financial incentive for Turbine?

I can completely relate to this.Im in the same boat with my 2 kids and we cannot play at the same time because of shared accounts...were all level 60 -75 .Which means no more buying of expansions for us..Its ironic because we love this game and have no worries what so ever about spending cash.on it. Weve been playing since 2007. But because we cant move one of our characters to a new account were finally calling it a day...no more cash from us.

Well, blatantly obvious as it will become, I fail to see whats so hard about taking one piece of data from one account and sticking it into another. What is this "tool" you refer to?

Perhaps Turbine should consider a service where you are granted the level of experience and deeds that the character had on the other account then when just deleting the other character permanently. With appropriate disclosure should it go wrong. (i.e. We warned you!!)

I would LOVE to see this service.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000001a4e8c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Lovebump View Post
    I would LOVE to see this service.
    Me, too. My family and I have been waiting and hoping for years. Since we can’t play together, we’ll likely close one or both accounts eventually. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart06 View Post
    This gets asked every once in a while but I was wondering if Turbine has any plans of ever implementing a cross account character transfer service..? I have two accounts, one which I never use but would love to get my level 50 Guard onto my main account. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who wants to do that.
    I know I am replying to an old post.... but:

You are probably not the only one to want that, and I myself have been wanting that feature as it allows me to re-distribute characters. There are however also VERY compelling reasons to never allow this:

- It would allow powerleveling and the "selling" of individual characters. (open a second account, transfer a toon to it for $25, give the credentials to some chinese powerleveling service who plays the toon for 24/7 for 3 weeks for like $200, transfer it back to the main account for another $25, voila, you just bought yourself a level 100 toon for $300 - may be worth it to some people)

- It would allow people with a "tarnished" account (e.g. 3 bans in the past) move a character to a "clean" account (never been banned).

- It would confuse things. You may want to sell a level 100 Guard you never play, and some other person will get the character and on the server you have to explain that that is not you anymore, because someone else has it.... etc.

Although I would love to be able to redistribute my characters, I think it causes more problems than it is worth. I just started leveling up the characters I want on a second account, I now have a level 72 mini going upwards and a 85 hunter on that same account, and I will get both of em to 100 this summer I think!
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

It seems to me there are a lot of ways around that issue … like only sell the service to families? Or require the same credit card? My wife and I would love to play together. As it stands, we will likely drop one account or the other.

Any update on this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Have you read the Developer Diary? https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/world-transfers

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Account to account transfers will not happen. It would be TOO easy to "sell" single characters that way, and it will only promote powerleveling.

(In short: you "sell" 1 toon to a Chinese power level company, they powerlevel it to 100 for $200, and 3 weeks later you "buy" the character back to your own account. Or Chinese powerlevelers simply start a free account, powerlevel a toon to 100, and you can "buy" individual toons)

There is too many ways to abuse this, so account to account transfers will very likely never happen.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

It's not Rocket Science...

It's simple enough to keep people from selling their Characters. or transferring them to China (I thought Korea was the base for all this pay-power-leveling nonsense?), Simply require the character to be on the account for a certain period of time before allowing it to transfer... (say 6 mo.) If you're like me, and your kids have been on your account (or my wife's) for quite some time and now want to move to their own, they'll more than meet the criteria. Whereas if someone is willing to wait 6 mo., then pay some [insert random asian nation] person to power-level the char, then wait Another 6 mo. before getting it back...well I guess they've earned it at that point...