We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thumbs down Re: New Neighbourhoods or dismissing "abandoned" houses...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    It frees up housing and no one loses anything.
    Someone most definitely loses something...

Re: New Neighbourhoods or dismissing "abandoned" houses...

Quote Originally Posted by -LoNgHiLL- View Post
    Someone most definitely loses something...
    How so?

If I own a house in Breeland and then come back after two years, I'd find my old house had been "reclaimed" by the system and put back on the market. All my belongings would be in escrow and I would have a token to buy a house of the same type as I had before.

I've lost none of my possessions and lost no money on the house. What exactly is anyone losing?

All my belongings would be in escrow and I would have a token to buy a house of the same type as I had before.

I've lost none of my possessions and lost no money on the house. What exactly is anyone losing?
    You have lost your house. Your house is no less yours than all your "belongings," it is no less a possession than your other "possessions." You purchased the house and the location, and the town. That is a specific house, you spent your time in it, you decorated it. You can't just get that same exact house again, unless of course you are lucky, and it is still on the market when you return.

You are not thinking of the sentimental value of the digital belongings, you are just thinking of achievement. You have achieved house, you have house badge!

You have lost your house. Your house is no less yours than all your "belongings," it is no less a possession than your other "possessions." You purchased the house and the location, and the town. That is a specific house, you spent your time in it, you decorated it. You can't just get that same exact house again, unless of course you are lucky, and it is still on the market when you return.

You are not thinking of the sentimental value of the digital belongings, you are just thinking of achievement. You have achieved house, you have house badge!
    So you buy the identical house in another neighborhood using the free token. If anything is lost, it's the neighbors (assuming you even HAD neighbors and not just another empty house).

Again, I don't see it as a loss of anything.

To which there really is only one thing to say..........but it would probably get me banned so let me just say........ROFL instead

Again, I don't see it as a loss of anything.
    That was the point I was making... so don't push your view on others! You do lose your neighbors, your location. I would not want to find "my" house in the hands of someone else. Focus on changing other aspects of the system. I have had my house and my mates have had their houses since day one. We are all together... We will be playing the game til day zero. It has been 5 months since we last played. Do we deserve to lose our houses? Should we lose our houses? I'd rather lose the items inside, as they are mostly replaceable, the house is not.

Quote Originally Posted by NickStern View Post
    To which there really is only one thing to say..........but it would probably get me banned so let me just say........
    Oh? Really?

They should change the wording when you purchase a house to make that up-front payment a deposit(security deposit, first & last months rent, etc.), instead of a purchase. That way they can reclaim the house when upkeep isn't paid. Only instead of upkeep, call it rent.

That was the point I was making... so don't push your view on others! You do lose your neighbors, your location. I would not want to find "my" house in the hands of someone else. Focus on changing other aspects of the system. I have had my house and my mates have had their houses since day one. We are all together... We will be playing the game til day zero. It has been 5 months since we last played. Do we deserve to lose our houses? Should we lose our houses? I'd rather lose the items inside, as they are mostly replaceable, the house is not.

Oh? Really?
    But it could be EXACTLY the same house in another neighborhood. MOST houses in most neighborhoods don't HAVE neighbors. The location would be the same.

If you're playing, you're not going to lose your house. This is the whole point. It's the people who ARE NOT playing who would lose the house in favour of those that ARE playing.

It's a simple equation.

Person A owns a house but left the game. He is bringing NO revenue to the game.
    Person B cannot get a house because of all the houses tied up by people like person A.
    If Person B COULD have that house, he would potentially bring in revenue as he:
    - buys furnishings on the T-Store
    - buys adventure packs so he can earn new furnishings
    - potentially buys other things related to housing.

Person A revenues: 0
    Person B revenues: >0

Pretty simple math, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejo View Post
    They should change the wording when you purchase a house to make that up-front payment a deposit(security deposit, first & last months rent, etc.), instead of a purchase. That way they can reclaim the house when upkeep isn't paid. Only instead of upkeep, call it rent.
    Eek, I prefer they just remove upkeep altogether, once you buy, it is yours, maybe just increase the price of housing.

But it could be EXACTLY the same house in another neighborhood. MOST houses in most neighborhoods don't HAVE neighbors. The location would be the same.
    No it specifically wouldn't be the same. You would not be entering the same neighbor hood anymore, your neighbors would be in another neighborhood. In my case, if one of us lost our house this way, and it was snatched up before we got notice, they could not get that house back and would be somewhere else.

If you're playing, you're not going to lose your house. This is the whole point. It's the people who ARE NOT playing who would lose the house in favour of those that ARE playing.
    Well now change 5 months to 1 year 5 months. Now do I deserve to lose my house? Should I?

Well now change 5 months to 1 year 5 months. Now do I deserve to lose my house? Should I?
    What I do not get is people who feel entiteled to keep what they do not pay for despite the reality that it is a requierment.
    If you have not payed maintenance in 5 months a year or 1.5 years yes you should lose your house.
    Your holding on to something you cvant use you can not enter once it is locked you can not access the contents of the containers what good is the house doing for you.
    The fact they do not boot means others often can not get houses they want because they are not available.
    In my Kin house neighborhood I have found every house locked except 3 due to non payment.
    In my personal house neighborhood every house is locked for that reason.
    How does this benifit anyone or add to the game experiance.
    I want a vital active neighborhood not a slum filled with worthless non paying non playing bums.

TURBINE WAKE UP BOOT THE BUMS OUT.

How does this benifit anyone or add to the game experiance.
    It benefits me, my kin, and our friends, when we come back as we always do, and it definitely adds to our game experience. It would greatly take away from our experience to lose said property. You should be able to figure out how.

Oh and by the way, we pay and play, just not 365 days a year.
    Last edited by -LoNgHiLL-; Apr 17 2012 at 05:00 PM.

Worthless, non-paying, non-playing, bums?

That's a violation of the CoC. Relax.

I have my house. I rarely... very rarely... okay almost never play this anymore. Too bad, so sad. Find yourselves a new neighborhood, or even a new server, if you are desperately seeking a home of your own. Better yet, invest in a Kin Hall... 99% of the neighborhoods have at least 1 available Kin Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Panahasi View Post
    Worthless, non-paying, non-playing, bums?

That's a violation of the CoC. Relax.

I have my house. I rarely... very rarely... okay almost never play this anymore. Too bad, so sad. Find yourselves a new neighborhood, or even a new server, if you are desperately seeking a home of your own. Better yet, invest in a Kin Hall... 99% of the neighborhoods have at least 1 available Kin Hall.
    See your the type of self entiteled that ruins games for others.
    You think you have it you do not use it but I aint going to release it because I do not want someone else to have it.

You and many others like you are the reason that Turbine needs to reverse the stupid policy they implemented of not booting bums out of thier houses for non payment, although at the time they did it for a good reason, but now the kindness they showed is being exploited and abused it has lead to other problems due to thinking like yours.

See what your clearly blind to is the neighborhoods are full of locked houses for non payment they havs spawned all the instances they can..... so finding another neighborhood is not an option. If you Payed you may understand that but I doubt it.

I already have a kin hall every other house is locked due to non payment my Kinnies can not get houses near the kin halll due to people that think like you. So again your suggestion is with out merit.

Changing servers is not an option as older more populated servers have this problem as well and in greater amounts. No Kin should be forced off a server to find houses no one should be forced off a server to find houses to allow self entitled people like you to keep something they do not use. Most Importantly Transfers are on hold so even if as a kin we thought that rediculous suggestion had merit it is not currently possible.

Iyt is well past time Turbine fix the mistake they made through good intentions and realise anyone that has not paid in a year or more for upkeep should be booted from the houses. I fully support permenant escrow so they do not lose anything if they do come back and they should get a token for a free house of the same type, but if they chose to be go\ne so long then they should be the ones to do the leg work to find open housing not current paying playing members.

It benefits me, my kin, and our friends, when we come back as we always do, and it definitely adds to our game experience. It would greatly take away from our experience to lose said property. You should be able to figure out how.

Oh and by the way, we pay and play, just not 365 days a year.
    Then pay your upkeep, and there's no problem. To answer your question, YES you should lose your house (though you would be able to get another one at no cost).

People who are actually playing the game and using its features should be given consideration before those that are not.

Imagine walking into McDonalds for a Big Mac. The girl at the counter says, "you can't have one, there are none left." You look behind her and see dozens on the rack. She says, "oh, those are reserved for other customers. Sure, they might never come back, but we'll hold them for them forever." You say, "well, what about me? I'm here NOW."

Something needs to be done. For example all the the neighborhoods on Brandywine in the Bree housing are open. There is no more & trying to get a house on this server is nearly impossible. Mainly kin houses are whats left. How fair is it for current players to be SOL on getting a house because so many are locked do to not paying the upkeep.

Quite frankly if you cannot come back after a year of not paying upkeep you should lose your house.

I am not saying I am satisfied that I have a house and no one else can get one. I think if it is true that Turbine cannot support more houses on the current database, then they should upgrade it. There should be enough houses to meet demand. Or make it so that free players cannot have houses. Must be VIP or Premium. If there will be too many premium players, make a new class of subscriber, for people that were subscribed before F2P was launched, and class them with VIPs.

Then pay your upkeep, and there's no problem.
    So now paying for and playing a game has to be an extra chore? That is how it was in the beginning, and we had to make sure one of us logged in to pay upkeep within every 6 week time period. I am glad that was put to rest. I was/am not okay with the upkeep in the first place, but to have to make sure you put time aside to log into the game...

To answer your question, YES you should lose your house (though you would be able to get another one at no cost).
    I disagree wholeheartedly. That would be an almost worthless gesture.

People who are actually playing the game and using its features should be given consideration before those that are not.
    I play the game, I use its features, I was using them before most of the people you are talking about.

Imagine walking into McDonalds for a Big Mac. The girl at the counter says, "you can't have one, there are none left." You look behind her and see dozens on the rack. She says, "oh, those are reserved for other customers. Sure, they might never come back, but we'll hold them for them forever." You say, "well, what about me? I'm here NOW."
    There is your first problem, you seem to like that disgusting establishment. Well I haven't walked in to one of those for about 15 years. Given those circumstances I would not say that. I would accept that I was late to the party. I should have reserved my own before coming in, now I know for next time.

I think if it is true that Turbine cannot support more houses on the current database, then they should upgrade it. There should be enough houses to meet demand.
    This would require Turbine to spend a considerable amount of additional resources to support an aspect of the game that provides little revenue. I don't see it happening, especially when they're expanding to accommodate a large chunk of people who haven't logged in for years and never will again.

So now paying for and playing a game has to be an extra chore? That is how it was in the beginning, and we had to make sure one of us logged in to pay upkeep within every 6 week time period. I am glad that was put to rest. I was/am not okay with the upkeep in the first place, but to have to make sure you put time aside to log into the game...
    So, you feel that active customers should be blocked from content in favor of players who cant "put time aside" to log in for 5 minutes every 365 days? That does sound like quite the burden.

No one is asking you to do it once every 6 weeks. I think most would agree that just starting by dropping people who haven't logged in for 2 years would do wonders for the housing communities.

I play the game, I use its features, I was using them before most of the people you are talking about.
    So, you're saying that since you used them before hand, you are...entitled?

Given those circumstances I would not say that. I would accept that I was late to the party. I should have reserved my own before coming in, now I know for next time.
    Given your sense of entitlement, I have a hard time believing this would be your true reaction. And guess what? Some of those people who left their Big Macs behind aren't going to be coming back. They will never give another cent to McDonald's. Should those Big Macs rot while the starving, willing to pay customers go hungry?

2 years is a good compromise. It's not like houses were meant to be a 1-time thing scooped up by founders never to be created again--some servers just reached max # of instances sooner than anticipated. Housing needs an update, clearly, and booting people who haven't logged in in 2 years is a good start. Or open new neighborhoods. But even then, booting people *into* these new neighborhoods would be better--so many instances are ghost towns. I don't know how many years it has been since I saw a soul in mine.

The situation where a group of people would all come back after 2 years simultaneously and be upset about not having houses near each other is not going to be common, whereas they could make many people happy who *currently* play by moving them out.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

See your the type of self entiteled that ruins games for others.
    You think you have it you do not use it but I aint going to release it because I do not want someone else to have it.
    No, that's YOU. You're the one hurling insults at players who have been here FAR longer than you. Cry over spilled milk much? Look in the mirror Mr. Pot.

You and many others like you are the reason that Turbine needs to reverse the stupid policy they implemented of not booting bums out of thier houses for non payment, although at the time they did it for a good reason, but now the kindness they showed is being exploited and abused it has lead to other problems due to thinking like yours.
    More biased fallacy spewed by you. You call their policy "stupid" and yet blame me (and "others like" me) for YOUR PROBLEM. YOU are the reason the United States if falling by the wayside right now. YOU are the one feeling "entitled" yet at the same time making demands upon an entity YOU DO NOT control. Your argument is seriously... fatally... flawed.

See what your clearly blind to is the neighborhoods are full of locked houses for non payment they havs spawned all the instances they can..... so finding another neighborhood is not an option. If you Payed you may understand that but I doubt it.
    Again, making false accusations and a$$umptions. Quit while you are behind. We have hashed over this very subject FOUR YEARS AGO. Do you think THEY care? Nope. Save your breath and make do with what you have.

I already have a kin hall every other house is locked due to non payment my Kinnies can not get houses near the kin halll due to people that think like you. So again your suggestion is with out merit.
    How is it without merit IF YOU HAVE ONE? LOL! Now you're being hypocritical.

Changing servers is not an option as older more populated servers have this problem as well and in greater amounts. No Kin should be forced off a server to find houses no one should be forced off a server to find houses to allow self entitled people like you to keep something they do not use. Most Importantly Transfers are on hold so even if as a kin we thought that rediculous suggestion had merit it is not currently possible.
    Transfers are NOT on hold they were renewed last week at least according to a Turbine post.

Iyt is well past time Turbine fix the mistake they made through good intentions and realise anyone that has not paid in a year or more for upkeep should be booted from the houses. I fully support permenant escrow so they do not lose anything if they do come back and they should get a token for a free house of the same type, but if they chose to be go\ne so long then they should be the ones to do the leg work to find open housing not current paying playing members.
    You're demanding drastic changes to a housing code which has been neglected (by and large) since its inception. It took THEM over three years to fix housing hooks. Honestly, do you truly believe they'll change the housing escrow code? Good luck with that.

Who cares how long you've been playing?

People are arguing for change, and that's the only way to get it done. Telling them to shut up and take it is childish and totally opposite of what they should be doing if they want to see change, which is sorely needed.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by wigelbert View Post
    This would require Turbine to spend a considerable amount of additional resources to support an aspect of the game that provides little revenue.
    Yet it should be done, before they start taking peoples houses away from them behind their backs.

So, you feel that active customers should be blocked from content in favor of players who cant "put time aside" to log in for 5 minutes every 365 days? That does sound like quite the burden.
    I don't know what kind of life or schedule you keep, but some people can't put 5 minutes aside, and when you are that busy, after awhile you just forget. You might not remember to until the 366th day. Furthermore not everyone can be in game in an instant. They do not have solid state hard drives, or a perpetually patched up game.

No one is asking you to do it once every 6 weeks. I think most would agree that just starting by dropping people who haven't logged in for 2 years would do wonders for the housing communities.
    Yeah, well I am trying to speak for those that don't have a voice here and that are planning on going back to the game, just haven't been in 2 years for whatever reason. Maybe their computer blew up and they can't afford a new one.

So, you're saying that since you used them before hand, you are...entitled?
    No, I don't know what your fascination with that word is. Did you just learn it in school?

Given your sense of entitlement, I have a hard time believing this would be your true reaction. And guess what? Some of those people who left their Big Macs behind aren't going to be coming back. They will never give another cent to McDonald's. Should those Big Macs rot while the starving, willing to pay customers go hungry?
    Oh? What sense of entitlement? If you possess something you are entitled to it. Housing in LotR:O does not belong to the player community, this is not communism here. Their food is already rotten, whether or not it is edible, have you ever seen any of there food left uneaten over time? You can eat it just fine. It is garbage. They won't go hungry unless they do not possess a working basic intelligence, they can leave and go to another trash establishment.

I'll try to be a bit more civilized this time:

I don't know what kind of life or schedule you keep, but some people can't put 5 minutes aside, and when you are that busy, after awhile you just forget.
    Honestly, if people like this exist. How did they ever invest in an MMO to begin with? All trolling aside, this seems like a far fetched excuse.

Yeah, well I am trying to speak for those that don't have a voice here and that are planning on going back to the game, just haven't been in 2 years for whatever reason. Maybe their computer blew up and they can't afford a new one.
    We can extend the date beyond two years. 2.5 years would mean they've missed half of the game's lifetime. We're not looking to punish anyone, we just want to experience the same features they did.

No, I don't know what your fascination with that word is. Did you just learn it in school?
    I apologize if my weak attempt at troll humor was lost in the rant. I just saw you denying self-entitlement in another post, but a lot of the arguments seemed to indicate otherwise. :P

Oh? What sense of entitlement? If you possess something you are entitled to it. Housing in LotR:O does not belong to the player community, this is not communism here. Their food is already rotten, whether or not it is edible, have you ever seen any of there food left uneaten over time? You can eat it just fine. It is garbage. They won't go hungry unless they do not possess a working basic intelligence, they can leave and go to another trash establishment.
    Turbine owns everything within LOTRO. They could give us all a 6 month notice, tomorrow, before they shut down the servers. By the way you related to the analogy, it sounds like you expect new players to go to another game. You need to realize that it's the active members of this game that are keeping it afloat - new and old alike. If new players don't enjoy their provided features well enough to stick around, it may not be here when you return. The game does need to accommodate the players that might return, but above all, it needs to maintain its profits by getting people to invest more time and money.

Edit to fix quote fail
    Last edited by wigelbert; Apr 18 2012 at 10:13 PM.

Honestly, if people like this exist. How did they ever invest in an MMO to begin with? All trolling aside, this seems like a far fetched excuse.
    Well I wouldn't say it is.

We're not looking to punish anyone, we just want to experience the same features they did.
    ...and I agree you should be able to, but not at the expense of others.

Turbine owns everything within LOTRO. They could give us all a 6 month notice, tomorrow, before they shut down the servers.
    What is your point?

By the way you related to the analogy, it sounds like you expect new players to go to another game.
    No.

It comes down to making the features of the game available to the people playing the game.

If you're actively playing the game, you pay your upkeep and you keep your house.
    If you're not playing, then you will lose your house in favour of those who ARE playing.
    Customers who are here NOW take priority over customers who were here or who might be here. That's just sensible business.

As I pointed out before, making the houses available to active players potentially opens up more revenue for the business.

Again, if you have not paid for your upkeep, you SHOULD lose your house. That's the point of the upkeep. Put another way, I think it's entirely reasonable to take away something from you that you can nearly exactly replace for no cost, in order that the rest of the playerbase can enjoy the system you're currently ignoring at their cost.

Customers who are here NOW take priority over customers who were here or who might be here. That's just sensible business.
    Sure, but it is not honorable. Especially since they changed the rules and gave everyone assurances that they won't lose their house, and instituted an upkeep cap to better accommodate players like myself that play seasonally.

As I pointed out before, making the houses available to active players potentially opens up more revenue for the business.
    How so? Not by a lot...

Again, if you have not paid for your upkeep, you SHOULD lose your house.
    I do pay it, when I go back in the game to play.

That's the point of the upkeep.
    No it is not, at least not anymore, now it is a straight money sink. I am guessing you were not the original operator of this account?

Put another way, I think it's entirely reasonable to take away something from you that you can nearly exactly replace for no cost, in order that the rest of the playerbase can enjoy the system you're currently ignoring at their cost.
    Nearly exactly replace, at least you are closer to the truth now. How would we replace it when others have now taken it and there are now no more houses?

How am I ignoring it? I am definitely not ignoring it.

What you are doing it taking the responsibility away from Turbine and placing it on the players. From the beginning it was always first come, first served with housing, all my kin has had their houses and our kin hall since day one of housing. They are our houses, our game experience would be detrimentally changed were we to lose them. It is not the players that should have to accommodate other players, it is Turbine. Turbine needs to open new housing areas when existing ones fill up of a particular type of home. They don't want to, they have decided that first come first served is fair and works.

Sure it is absurd that there are homes taken up by people that will never play again, but how do you know this is the majority? Why should serious players have to lose out because of this? How do you know which are the ones that are never coming back?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast