We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Instruments

Instruments

Is there an up to date online guide to Minstrel instruments and their effects post RoI? I have had a search but can't find anything current aside from a huge list of all the instruments in the game which isn't tremendously helpful in terms of comparing their virtues.

At present I'm using Theorbo for healing duty and Drum for DPS/soloing ... is this sensible or am I making a basic error?

NB. I don't do PvMP so that doesn't figure in my choice, just pure PvE.

Re: Instruments

There is a full list of instruments located here --> http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Category:Instrument

Enjoy the Cowbell

Unfortunately, most minstrels have decided that "Battle-Singer" instruments are slightly worse than Cowbell, and hence keep using their cowbell.

Similarly, Clarinet feels slightly better for power-efficient healing.

I do swap in an "of Harmony" instrument in some pulls for the morale; then I can have my nice Harp.

This guide also touches on it lightly ---> http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/...in-roi-part-2/

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daredent View Post
    There is a full list of instruments located here --> http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Category:Instrument
    Yes I'd seen that list but I didn't find it particularly helpful. For example, Looking at the Premium instruments all "of the war-singer" variants look identical to me. Is this really the case? Does it no longer matter what type of instrument we choose but rather what variant we choose? Or am I missing something fundamental?

Quote Originally Posted by Binidj View Post
    Yes I'd seen that list but I didn't find it particularly helpful. For example, Looking at the Premium instruments all "of the war-singer" variants look identical to me. Is this really the case? Does it no longer matter what type of instrument we choose but rather what variant we choose? Or am I missing something fundamental?
    I was under the impression that this was the case (which I quite love, personally). As such I've been carrying two drums, one for DPS/solo and one for healing/groups.

Edit. Looking at my woodworker's recipes right now (glad I was on her when I saw this, lol) and it seems all the instruments that are "of" something are identical across the board. It's the basic (aka output 1 of the recipes) that vary per type of instrument.

If it helps, here's screenshots of the different instruments (missing: lute and flute due to lack of having the recipes)

And since Turbine forums doesn't like more than 5 images, here's a link to a screenshot of the recipe variants. Since they're all the same no matter what instrument it is, I just did the set using the drum recipe.
    Last edited by xxforcardassia; Feb 01 2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: screenshots added for reference

I use the standard Cowbell for solo DPS, the standard Clarinet for blue-intensive heals, a Conservation instrument for my standard 4B/3Y setup (for the Anthem discount), and a Battle-singer instrument for the rare (but treasured) cases where I get to DPS in a group (for the threat reduction)

adding in the extra image from 2 posts above:

Ex. Premium Cowbell > Battle Singer Drums

This is because -2% power for ballads / calls and cries > -11% threat no matter the situation when DPSing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000c08ff/signature.png]Winterfell[/charsig]

For My BW Brethren or Those Who Love Stick Figures [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=322130] 3 Years of Stick Art [/url]
    R.I.P NIDOR (1970-2012): You shall be missed but never forgotten, thank you.

Perfectly justifiable. Considering that I slot Smooth Voice and Absolute Pitch, though, I've never really been in a situation where my power was being sapped too much on account of my Ballads.

Thanks so much, that was exactly the information (and debate) that I was looking for ... really helpful.

Here are the standard Flute, standard Lute and the instruments "of Conservation", missing above:

I loved the sound of the theorbo when healing... I think that I am also going to craft a theorbo of conservation for my minstrel.

BTW, what exactly means "+0.2 critical healing mod"? Is it +20%? Is it a critical magnitude or the chance?

Óscar

I believe it refers to the healing output, not the chance (in a similar vein to Silver Tongue)

I currently rock an exquisite premium lute for healing and a theorbo of the battler singer for dps. I never use intruments I can't stand the sound of.

My minstrel has just reached 60 and I am wondering where to get a level 60 instrument, other than the rep gated ones. My woodworker who is kindred does not have any recepies in this level range, which is strange because he is 75. I am tired of this drum I have been hitting since level 40. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Osolep View Post
    My minstrel has just reached 60 and I am wondering where to get a level 60 instrument, other than the rep gated ones. My woodworker who is kindred does not have any recepies in this level range, which is strange because he is 75. I am tired of this drum I have been hitting since level 40. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    There are Woodworker recipes at the docks, I believe, in Lorien that give level 60 instruments.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#00cc00][B]Founding Member: Sapience Fan Club and Adoration Society[/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by wikjif View Post
    There are Woodworker recipes at the docks, I believe, in Lorien that give level 60 instruments.
    The recipes in Lothlorien are rep-gated (as is the use of the item crafted). Those recipes are on Telain Galadhrim, on the flet above the main stairs. There's also some instruments you can barter for (without crafting) from Talan Fanuidhol (from the vendor Idhbrennil).

So to answer this question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osolep View Post
    No, there's no non-rep gated minstrel instruments for level 60. But seeing as Galadhrim rep is probably the easiest in the game to obtain (next to the Mathom Society), it may as well be non-gated

Cheers! I will begin building rep with the Galadhrim.