We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

You All Need to be Consistent with your 1v1s

Apparently today my main Braydan disrupted a 1v1 at the STAB, and for that I apologize to the player and monster player (you all know who you are I'm sure). Of course I got the usual chat messages chastising me, however there is another side to this story. Mine.

First let me start off by saying it is a safe bet that most toons have charged into a 1v1 not knowing what it was at one time or another in their pursuit of happiness in The War. I had thought that I had picked up on the unwritten rule that 1v1s only happen at the Xroads because that is the only place (until today) I had ever seen any take place.

It makes sense to me to reserve 1v1s for the Xroads because it is a location, fairly central that can be seen from a long way off in all directions. If you're not aware that a 1v1 is going on at the Xroads when tracking, it will be made obvious to you long before you are within range of attacking the MP because you would see players standing around with monster players watching 2 going at each other.

Shame for having a 1v1 on the STAB. I tracked the monster from the TR ford, announced in the OOC a few times that I was, and there was no Tell to warn me it was a 1v1. Yes, there was a channel message that said 1v1, but we all know how quickly stuff scrolls off the chat window, and I only saw the message after the fact when I scrolled back through the chat log. But, that aside, the STAB? Norbog gully and TR ford below, no open space to see others just standing around, especially when tracking from below? And since the observers were all standing around outside EC watching the fight it was impossible to see them from the STAB anyway because of distance fade.

More and more folks will be coming into the moors, especially now with the announcement of Riders of Rohan expansion, and will want to advance their toons before that rolls out in the fall. The moors is not just for level 75 toons with better than 3rd Age LIs. If it were, the stable master at TH and Riv wouldn't allow level 40s into the moors. I don't much care for 1v1s, but that's a personal opinion. I am about as fond of them as I am of sparring, which is nil. However, if you don't want to see more 1v1s get disrupted I suggest we do agree on a "safe zone" such as the Xroads (or any other open field). This won't guarantee 1v1s won't be disrupted, but as the word gets out about the "safe zone" folks will learn to approach the area with a bit more caution.

Just my thoughts.

Re: You All Need to be Consistent with your 1v1s

We actually do have a safe zone. It's called Candy Mountain. It's the small, snow-covered mountain just northwest of TR rez. There's only one way up it, and that's a narrow path you can see from the rez.

If you're on Candy Mountain, you've made it clear that you're there for spars, and anyone but the most loathesome loser will respect that. So if you're sparring. especially if it's a pre-arranged spar, use Candy Mountain. No, it's not the most convenient location, but it's the only place used for nothing but sparring. The vast majority of players on this server respect that.

If you spar anywhere else, most players will try to respect that. However, as with you, people often don't notice it's a 1v1. Unless the 1v1 was on Candy Mountain, or you broke it up, were told about it, and broke it up again, no one should be chastising you.
    [CENTER][color="#1188FF"](███████████████ THERE IS NO DEATH[COLOR=Grey]╠[U]▀‼▀▀▀▀!!!▀▀▀▀‼▀[/U]╣[/COLOR]THERE IS THE FORCE ██████████████)[/color][/CENTER]

Wow! And see I knew nothing about Candy Mountain and been running in moors for awhile now, so thanx for that info. I'll make sure to take note of where this Candy Mountain is and behave when up there.

I'd say 'candy mountain' is the only place one can hope for pure 1v1 duels. There have been multiple times where I would find a freep all alone, and we'd hit up a sort of 1v1. All of a sudden one or more freeps ride in and clobber me to death. Since that happens to me quite frequently, I consider open land battles as free-for-alls. Creeps, as well as freeps, are always in danger in a kill or be killed state of mind. Except on 'candy mountain'.

Plus, it's been quite the norm to be ambushed by solo freeps mid-battle. Here I am, an innocent little orc minding my own business killing a group of NPCs. Then a flash, and I'm dragged into a one-sided joke of a fight.

Also, apologies to Braydan. Met on my Captain, and is a good person to trade with. Hence, I feel bad in raids when I must follow orders to attack this Hunter. That's the name of the game, I'm afraid. No hard feelings, and good luck out there.
    Last edited by Aztec_Soul; Jan 25 2012 at 10:20 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140100000b9311/signature.png]Mavirthael[/charsig]

6 Chestnut Street, Branway, Breeland, Crickhollow

I agree, spar anywhere but CM and expect to be interrupted. Its no bad on you to attack a creep when you see one. For the record if you ever see me fighting a creep please stick some arrows in his back, we can sort out the 1v1 problem later.
    Xalfang R10 warg, Xalweb R8 Spidey, Xalgnakah R8 Defiler/Bruzrat's pocket-healer, Euanggelion R8 Warden.

If there's a 1v1 on stab, I'm going to kill the creep. Stab is a hotspot, no way to know its 1v1s or not. Candy mountain is for sparring, as is crossroads. Feel free to 1v1 elsewhere, but don't expect not to get ganked.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000003ada9/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

The only 1v1s I've ever seen left alone in a hotspot (TA Lawn/Stab) is Medo v Chiron, and I think thats just because no one else could be bothered to get into a 15 minute fight with those two
    Merlinros - Brandywine
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1pDdg8Ha0A[/url]

I'm glad I got this off my chest by using this forum. Better to do it here then start some #### in OOC chat in game.

As awesome as LOTRO is as an MMO, I have found that the moors is its most challenging aspect. When your enemies think better than you, it forces you to learn how to think better than them. Sometimes by using their methods.

@Aztec, no hard feelings at all and thanks for the vote of confidence. The moors are brutal and that's where the fun is. I fight, I die, I rez and get back in the fight only to die again, and again, and again...rinse and repeat.

@Philosmanic, I absolutely enjoyed your post "My view on PvP balance." Just awesome info, and I may never have learned of it had I not posted this thread, so kudos to you. With your permission I would like to reference your post when I get asked about the "rules" in the moors.

If it's not CM, it's possible free reknown. Do your 1v1s wherever you want but expect them to be disrupted if you're not at CM.
    Quit.

Find me on Steam and ESO, same name.

Red face Re: You All Need to be Consistent with your 1v1s

Creeps be carful with your 1v1, remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoges View Post
    The only 1v1s I've ever seen left alone in a hotspot (TA Lawn/Stab) is Medo v Chiron, and I think thats just because no one else could be bothered to get into a 15 minute fight with those two
    Yeah, I got into a 1v1 with Chiron once. We called it a draw after 15 minutes or so. Did one of them ever win?

Quote Originally Posted by Noridan View Post
    @Philosmanic, I absolutely enjoyed your post "My view on PvP balance." Just awesome info, and I may never have learned of it had I not posted this thread, so kudos to you. With your permission I would like to reference your post when I get asked about the "rules" in the moors.
    Heh. Glad someone got something out of that post. The vast majority of the responses almost unanimously flamed it, with one or two exceptions. Someone actually gave me negative rep for it! Luckily, I appealed and the mods took it off.
    [CENTER][color="#1188FF"](███████████████ THERE IS NO DEATH[COLOR=Grey]╠[U]▀‼▀▀▀▀!!!▀▀▀▀‼▀[/U]╣[/COLOR]THERE IS THE FORCE ██████████████)[/color][/CENTER]