We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The Great Captain Solo Thread

I thought someone had tried to start one of these before, but after browsing 10 pages deep I wasn't able to find it. That said, let's get a nice list of what we can solo post-ROI. With the level of DPS we can put out along with some of the awesome set bonuses we get, Captains are capable of amazing things now. I'll start with my couple minor achievements.

Grand Stair Hard Mode
    Stoneheight T1

I had done Stoneheight T2 through the first boss, pretty sure boss 2 would be easy as well, but ran out of time and haven't been back since. The last boss/challenge for StH T2 would be pretty difficult with all of the stuns and massive hits the one guy throws out.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000343aa/signature.png]Anthyr[/charsig]
    [URL="http://dragonswrath.mmoguildsites.com"]Visit Dragon's Wrath[/URL]

Re: The Great Captain Solo Thread

I've not been trying much recently, but have done

Stoneheight T1
    Stoneheight T2 (first 2 bosses only, couldn't hack 3rd yet)
    GS Easy mode
    SH Easy

GS Easy and SH Easy modes were trivial for me. 20% return on revealing mark + whaling away with minimal strategy worked fine. Stoneheight T1 wasn't much harder, trash took longer than bosses it seemed. I should try SH hard mode and GS Hard mode. But the rewards in Stoneheight are better. In fact, for those who like rewards rather than challenge, you can down the first Stoneheight T1 boss in about 6 minutes (counting the trash lead ins), and get 4xTier 4 relics and 2-3 50k runes...

I should really try soloing grand stairs to complete the Moria metadeed.

Other than STH T1 / NCF T1 which are rewarding and fun (I laugh every time when I switch between slapping the hobbits and dpsing the cauldron), I do SH HM sometimes, it takes about 7.5 minutes and gives destiny points daily.
    I tried Warg Pens HM, but died half way on the last boss (now I would go with different traits, but the whole instance takes too long and I did not find time for that yet).
    Ishtarien - Captain 105
    Ishtarel - HNT 105 / Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Lunasa - MNS 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship - [EN] Eldar -> [EN] Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    I've not been trying much recently, but have done

Stoneheight T1
    Stoneheight T2 (first 2 bosses only, couldn't hack 3rd yet)
    GS Easy mode
    SH Easy

GS Easy and SH Easy modes were trivial for me. 20% return on revealing mark + whaling away with minimal strategy worked fine. Stoneheight T1 wasn't much harder, trash took longer than bosses it seemed. I should try SH hard mode and GS Hard mode. But the rewards in Stoneheight are better. In fact, for those who like rewards rather than challenge, you can down the first Stoneheight T1 boss in about 6 minutes (counting the trash lead ins), and get 4xTier 4 relics and 2-3 50k runes...
    I agree, Stoneheight T1 is definitely where it's at if you need to farm item xp and relics.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000343aa/signature.png]Anthyr[/charsig]
    [URL="http://dragonswrath.mmoguildsites.com"]Visit Dragon's Wrath[/URL]

Yeah, I've also done Stoneheight T2 up to the third boss. IMO, the second boss T2 was easier than the first boss T1. However, my best so far has been getting one of the two bosses down to 1/2 morale, and that's with popping all my CDs. I'm sure if I could somehow manage to take one of them down, the other one would be easy. Cappies do really well against only one target, thanks to 20% revealing mark.

I haven't bothered with Northcotton Farms, because it seems incredibly annoying. The first boss seems doable (if painful, thanks to the constant kiting), and the third boss would be easy. But I don't think I could manage the second boss, unless those clouds do a lot less damage than I remember. I know my 65 burg went down in a few seconds standing in them.

I got couple solo kills so far NCF t2c, SHT t2c, Sword Halls HM, GS HM, troll OP in the moors, boss in delving(wight first to the left on freeps entrance), boss cow in BB in the moors ..... more solo stuff coming soon!!!
    Last edited by sarefx; Jan 23 2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: more info

I've been doing Dungeons just recently solo to complete the rescue the elf prisoners deed. The first part of freeing all the prisoners is very easy to be honest and I go through it quickier than if I was with a group as I can avoid the wandering brutes easier and the trash isn't as harsh as it was when I was 65.
    The challenge, which took me a few attempts to nail down, was keeping the prisoners alive during the last boss fight.

Still got to do it a couple more times to complete the freeing all the various prisoners deed
    Camaris, Level 100 LM of Elendilmir.

there should be some sort of rule that you can't use P2W shiz
    Kraken, Thesungodra

This seems an appropriate thread to ask this, any other captains have groups asking you to main heal and main tank at the same time in 3-mans and the like?

Quote Originally Posted by Neverwhere616 View Post
    I agree, Stoneheight T1 is definitely where it's at if you need to farm item xp and relics.
    t2 NCF is much better. you get over twice the runes and more relics.

it is pretty boring to do it solo t2, so i dual box champ/capt :P you can pull everything in between bosses and do the instance in 10m.

bringing a buddy in to farm it with two is one of the best ways to get relics/runes.
    Last edited by IGolbezI; Jan 25 2012 at 02:25 AM.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Well, I think there is nothing you can´t do solo...^^

But: Anyone who kill the OP WOOD(!!)troll solo yet? (moors)

Quote Originally Posted by jchudz View Post
    This seems an appropriate thread to ask this, any other captains have groups asking you to main heal and main tank at the same time in 3-mans and the like?
    Havn't experienced that myself, but if they did I think I'd laugh at them. Our self-healing isn't up to that sort of misuse.
    We can Heal OR Tank any 3-man, but if we could do both at once why would we bother to bring anyone else with us?

No so much of that. I have had healers who seemed to think captains don't need healing. I've had a tank or two who didn't think they had to pull adds off me when I was healing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlazkanAssassin View Post
    Havn't experienced that myself, but if they did I think I'd laugh at them. Our self-healing isn't up to that sort of misuse.
    We can Heal OR Tank any 3-man, but if we could do both at once why would we bother to bring anyone else with us?
    I actually have chosen to do this. It's utter suicide for an Isen 3-man, except for maybe trash pulls on T1. However, for a 3-man skirm, Cappy healtanking is the way to go, and it makes you feel incredibly epic.

What you do is heal the group as needed, while focus-DPSing on the lieutenant. You let the DPS pull the adds off you, but you always keep aggro on lieutenants. Since it's a skirm, the adds will go down fast, so you'll get an RC every 15s. Combine that with revealing mark, and you can easily stay alive long enough for your group to burn down the adds and kill the lieutenant.

Since no one is focusing on tanking or healing, which would severely gimp their DPS, your group will tear through the skirms with a vengeance. It's an incredibly fun, somewhat reckless way of doing things, and my favorite way to earn marks.

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    there should be some sort of rule that you can't use P2W shiz
    For challenge soloing like this, it's generally accepted that it doesn't count if you used anything that you bought with TP. People differ on the use of DP perks, but personally I think they're okay.

Use every consumable you have, though

Quote Originally Posted by sarefx View Post
    I got couple solo kills so far NCF t2c, SHT t2c, Sword Halls HM, GS HM, troll OP in the moors, boss in delving(wight first to the left on freeps entrance), boss cow in BB in the moors ..... more solo stuff coming soon!!!
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to call "proof or it didn't happen" on the bolded ones. Every Captain I've talked to gets ripped apart in the final boss of Stoneheight T2 (although the rest of it is pretty easy). Additionally, how in the world did you kill the cauldron in NCF T2? The gas clouds will kill even an uber cappy in only a few seconds, the hobbits spawn almost constantly, and we have such low DPS that I bet the cauldron would be hard to down in time even if you could stand there and hit it without worrying about the hobbits/clouds.

Troll OP in the moors could be possible, but I know some really good Captains that have tried that and failed, and I know I can't handle it. Since it's something that isn't widely accepted as possible (like STH t1), you have to prove you did it.

SH HM solo, used a herald and had it song-brothered for infinite power via inspire. i think i cut it a bit close but it's possible with new mitigations and captains much better dps

P.S. no i didn't use any of the store pots on my hotbar, i use those in the moors lol
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020100002a9685/signature.png]Repede[/charsig]

what kinda proof u want? lol SHT t2c I barely got it down, NCF t2c is very easy also I solo it once a week, Troll OP is freaking easy if u cant solo that u should not be in this thread, Wood Troll is whole different story, gonna try it some time since I got 1st age woot. Trick for SHT t2c: at least 65% phisical miti, Dagor set to spam DB/PA, 12k morale, 90% melee offence, and good crit chance.

The only undeniable proof is a video with your combat tab open. That would be best.

However, a screenshot works just fine. See legion45's post right before yours for a great example.

If this is gonna be a "I can solo ____" bragging thread, great. The Champion version has motivated lots of Champs to try crazy things, and has lead to some really awesome solos. But they also require proof for the difficult ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sarefx View Post
    what kinda proof u want? lol SHT t2c I barely got it down, NCF t2c is very easy also I solo it once a week, Troll OP is freaking easy if u cant solo that u should not be in this thread, Wood Troll is whole different story, gonna try it some time since I got 1st age woot. Trick for SHT t2c: at least 65% phisical miti, Dagor set to spam DB/PA, 12k morale, 90% melee offence, and good crit chance.
    It's ok Milnor, I believe you

How much ICPR are you guys running? I ask because I spied a few of your builds and two of you seem to be almost allergic to power. I don't find that BB Inspire is enough for some of the longer fights.

I get alot of power from DB/PA crits with my dagor set, specially in underlvl content where ur crit chance is higher.

I think Tangaar figured out you only get like 98 power above and beyond what it takes to use DB/PA in the first place. Does this make that big of a deal?

Yay! A captain solo thread! Now I just have to go and solo something meaningful...

There is of course a long list of stuff I HAVE soloed but which I didn't really feel was an accomplishment, so no pictures (I can GET pictures though, if people really refuse to believe me for some reason):

Carn Dum
    Urugarth
    Barad Gularan
    Inn of the Forsaken level 75 T1 (A great place to make gold at 75!)
    Inn of the Forsaken level 75 T2 (It's so long! And just refuses to end! Didn't do the challenge on account of my captain not being a lore master)
    Ettenmoors outpost tyrant, creep version (It really is trivial, honestly, unless someone comes to play with you while you fight it; the wood troll on the other hand...well, that one I'd love to see proof of a captain soloing, since I sure can't!)
    Grand Stairs challenge (I think I have a screenshot somewhere, but I think Igash is something that's accepted as soloable by now)

I've also soloed Fil Gashan challenge (second boss was the hardest...curse you spammable stuns!), but frankly it was too hectic and I couldn't get good screenshots...I'll go back there for proof next week or at some point in the future!

Oh, there's also a few I do have pictures of handy:

Sword Halls Hard Mode (it's been done, but I can do it too!)

Frankly pretty easy, herald helped contribute some cursory DPS and let me use To Arms.

Northcotton Farms Tier 2, first boss:

Pretty trivial, used a standard of war to make it go faster since I could just stand in melee for most of it. This fight is accepted to be soloable at 75 I think.

Northcotton Farms Tier 2, second boss:

Couldn't really take a better shot as I was too busy running around for most of it. Used Amanda (my trusty disposable mook!) as a DoT on the cauldron since I was slapping hobbits and kiting pools half the time. Finished a bit past the last warning, so barely in time, but didn't use Oathbreakers (didn't have it), so could do it a tad faster. Winning the race approaches the limit of captain DPS though, hardest fight in the instance.

Northcotton Farms Tier 2, Thadur:

Pretty easy, hardest part was getting past that stupid pot to get to him. Amanda valiantly took all the stun poisons and half the distributed damage for me...not sure I could have managed the fight using a standard. Very effective way to get bulk relics (Stoneheight final boss is harder, and farming the first few is about the same return...plus this gives DP! Precious, precious DP...)

That seems to be the limit on pictures on this forum, so...yeah, enough for now. I'll be back though! With more pictures! And perhaps a video or two on request, though I'd probably have to turn my graphics down.

Coming Soon: FG (this time with pictures!), Stoneheight Tier 2 challenge, 16th Hall, probably other stuff if I'm bored enough!
    Last edited by azurebob99; Jan 25 2012 at 09:33 PM.

More pictures!

This time, I beat up Barz in the Rift...sure it's level 50, but it's actually not as trivially easy as one would imagine. Or maybe it is. Won't bother showing the trash unless someone requests it...pretty much all the pulls from clearing appear as waves in the boss fight anyway.

Starting:

Second Wave:

Third Wave:

And the end of the fight:

Takes about 20 minutes just for Barz (or took me that long). Also something like an hour to beat up the tedious, repetetive trash pulls...got 2 gold and a boot gem out of the box (at least gems are BtA now, so I guess some seventh string alt will be getting Rift boots at 50), so not worth the time to farm it, but it was fun. Difficulty I'd say is a tad harder than Northcotton tier 2, but easier than Stoneheight tier 2's final boss (harder than the first two though, probably). Poor herald didn't last beyond the troll/keeper wave, too much AoE no matter where I put her, so used a standard for most of it.

As for the rest of the Rift, Zurm is more or less the same boss, so that's soloable. Don't think Fruz would be though, or Zogtark. Narnulubat MAY be possible, but you'd need locks to even try. The rest again probably not. Feel free to prove me wrong though!

I tried same thing just now, its not that bad, gonna try to solo more stuff in rift lol here are screens for none believers =P gonna do NCF and SHT tomorrow again with screens lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, first and third bosses of Northcotton are pretty trivial. Only time I ever really had issues with first boss was when I lagged or didn't notice the egg, and the Spider healed up to full again. However, I'm having issues with the second boss. I can't seem to kill the cauldron, keep myself alive, and slap the hobbits all at once. My DPS is still low enough that I need to spend a large part of the fight hitting the cauldron, but that means standing in the clouds, which I have trouble surviving.

Megumi, are you doing all this traited HoH? I tend to prefer MoW, because it gives far more damage, which means more healing from Revealing Mark (which I have at 20%). Also, it gives me double the uses of DB and +5% crit chance, which means far more uses of RC. Other than unlimited power (which is awesome), why'd you go for HoH? Just curious.

Also, you really only need screens of the boss kill. If you can kill the boss, we'll trust that you handled the adds on your own

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast