We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Well there is always the future!

I was just informed the LOTROcon.com link was broken on our site. Not sure how long, but if you haven't otherwise RSVP'd, please do so, that I can update our head-count. Still holding at 29 as of this morning. Give or take non-announced arrivals.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

I would love to go but it seems very expensive to go three days at the park. More expensive than actual cons I've been to. :/
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000016c89/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [url=http://furrowhamstudios.mymiddleearth.com/]Furrowham Studios[/url] [url=http://secondbreakfast.guildlaunch.com/]Second Breakfast[/url]

No doubt all three days actually at the park has its cost. This event is intended as a social event, more than a full-on "con" treatment. We only have planned activities for Saturday. The Friday and Sunday activity is strictly come-as-you-are, and "PUG" around however we decide. The dinner also does not require entering the park on Friday.

The original though was to organize the Tolkien Moot on Sunday, off-site, as an open and free gathering. Too much time was needed, and without a budget, which commercial "cons" have and we don't, it wasn't feasible for 2012. I'm working on both budget and programming for 2013.

You are always dealing with a Catch 22 with these things. Location, cost, timing, programming. No matter where it was, somebody couldn't come due to distance. No matter where we hold it, either we have cost issues, quality of venue issues, or have to pair back programming options. I suspect the earlier push for a LOTROcon back in 09 had problems akin to any of those. For now, I think it is important to get an event on the docket and make it go. We can adjust, expand, and program from there.

We have our start. From here, the next thing will be to organize regional gatherings for pre and post screening gatherings of The Hobbit. Planning for 2013's main event.

July is here, time to RSVP at LOTROcon.com!

Last call for RSVPs, LOTROcon.com

Please have any final RSVPs in by End-of-day Wednesday.

Thankee

Some final notes.

The Dinner of Special Magnificence
    will be held starting at 8 p.m. at TOMO Habachi Steakhouse located at Hotel Breakers. No admission to the park is required to attend. If you plan on attending this event specifically, contact me.When crossing the causeway to Cedar Point, stay in the far LEFT lane, and as you pay the parking toll ($12 per day, one pass-out per day) indicate you are going to Hotel Breakers.

The Second Breakfast, Saturday morning, will be held in the Perkins restaurant, also in Hotel Breakers. Figure we'll be there at 8 a.m. through 10 a.m. and will have a table reserved for us. As before, no admission is required, save for the parking toll. This will be our kick-off, and I'll have printed agendas and contact information for those there.

I will be sending email to those who RSVP'd. However, in case your contact email is wrong or otherwise, you can PM me here. I'll be checking messages and mail through Friday afternoon. I will be sending my personal contact information to attendees for those who can not otherwise attend per the schedule.

See you folks there!

Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    Some final notes.

The Dinner of Special Magnificence
    will be held starting at 8 p.m. at TOMO Habachi Steakhouse located at Hotel Breakers. No admission to the park is required to attend. If you plan on attending this event specifically, contact me.When crossing the causeway to Cedar Point, stay in the far LEFT lane, and as you pay the parking toll ($12 per day, one pass-out per day) indicate you are going to Hotel Breakers.

The Second Breakfast, Saturday morning, will be held in the Perkins restaurant, also in Hotel Breakers. Figure we'll be there at 8 a.m. through 10 a.m. and will have a table reserved for us. As before, no admission is required, save for the parking toll. This will be our kick-off, and I'll have printed agendas and contact information for those there.

I will be sending email to those who RSVP'd. However, in case your contact email is wrong or otherwise, you can PM me here. I'll be checking messages and mail through Friday afternoon. I will be sending my personal contact information to attendees for those who can not otherwise attend per the schedule.

See you folks there!

Idk what's going on but I showed up for the 2nd breakfast and Perkins said the font do resurves and had not hear of lotro con idk If I just didn't i didn't have the correct info or what but I would really like to be apart I some of these events if someone could PM me with some kind of info or a number I could text to try and catch up with everyone
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000004d02f/01003/signature.png]Stryka[/charsig]

Check your pm. We are here. Perkins was slammed hard but we are here. Check the website too for my direct contact info. We are starting into the park now.

Event Report and Plans for 2013

For what the expectations were, in the weeks leading to LOTROcon 2012, the event was a success. It achieved the required goal of simply occurring, and having an acceptable number of attendees for the agenda, date, location, and inaugural year. Attendees enjoyed the event and are all looking forward to a return trip in 2013. A large number of cancellations did occur, which was expected with no financial hook.

It is clear that programming the “fun day” does not have much point with small numbers, and likely is not needed otherwise. Specific points, such as breakfast and “after parties” were popular, but in many cases, people wanted to spread out and do their own thing. Communications will be key. Through mobile apps that allow the entire group to know what is happening with each other, and allow folks to group and scatter as desired.

Parking was affordable, and provided access to the beach and Hotel Breakers without added cost. Even those not going to the park, were able to gather. Likewise, the hotel was central to the entire park and was a good meeting place. The experience and observations gained will certainly lead to a vastly evolved event in 2013, and will lead more immediately to our next event in December of 2012.

Off-site locations for the “after party” need to be scouted out for next year. The Tolkien Moot event is a necessity to make the entire event round-out better. Follow-up events will come from this first year. Although it will return to Cedar Point in 2013, if all goes well, there is no reason not to consider more remote locations in the future.

Changes for 2013.

Event Concept -
    LOTROcon will be more directly promoted as a Sons of Numenor event, which is open to the public. The Tolkien Moot will be cross-promoted under a new name, and sponsored by the Tolkien Society Smial founded by Sons of Numenor. This will broaden the audience of the collective events, and advance the desire to have the Tolkien Moot become optionally detachable from LOTROcon proper.

Event Location -
    Cedar Point will be the primary event venue to days 1 and 2. Hotel Breakers’ Hibachi Steakhouse will again serve as host to the Friday dinner. An off-site venue will be used for the Tolkien Moot on day 3.

Event Timing -
    I anticipate another late July timeframe.

Event Programming -
    Day 1 programming will retain the dinner at Cedar Point, and informal post dinner gatherings off-site. Day 2 will retain the breakfast at Cedar Point. The mini-golf tourney will be subject to pre-registration prior to Cedar Point opening, and contingent on sufficient participation. The afterparty will start off-site at Dairy Queen, with groups free to break-off to where they may. No other formal agenda will hold for day two. Groups wanting to ride roller coasters, shop, see shows, play games, and eat, will be able to find each other and follow-groups through the LOTROcon Mobile App for 2013. Day 3 will be off-site. Agenda items will include the Second Breakfast, Kickoff presentation, Vendor Display, Panels, Lunch, Music Keynote, Panels, Keynote Tolkien Presentation, Closing.

Event Communications -
    There will be a central LOTROcon Mobile app, compatible across at least the iOS and Android platforms, with Windows Phone being possible. This app will host updates on events, activities, updates, etc. An open “Wall” will allow people to communicate among each other, so people can find each other, meet-up for rides, or anything else. Printed maps will be distributed electronically to pre-registered attendees, featuring tactical travel details, tips, etc. Printed copies will be on-hand at the Friday dinner and Saturday breakfast, as well as on the mobile app and website. Live audio and video streaming will be used at select activities.

Event Promotion and Marketing -
    LOTROcon and the Tolkien Moot will be cross promoted. Which event title takes top billing will depend on the audience. The LOTROcon - The Hobbit events in December will be used to keep the name fresh, and sling-shot promotion for LOTROcon 2013. Promotion of LOTROcon will persist all year long. Existing electronic promotion will be increased. Within LOTRO, server captains will be recruited, to engage the full LOTRO community.

Event Sponsorship and Support -
    Direct, in-kind, and Vendor sponsorship will be pursued to bolster the value-added proposition to attendees and the event budget. The nature of LOTROcon and the Tolkien Moot, will mean a very very wide range of sponsorships can be sought. Sponsors will be targeted to defray specific costs of the event. Turbine will be advised of the event, with hope of being of more direct in-kind aid to the event. Select artists and craftsmen will be sought to

Event Collateral -
    Polo shirts, for LOTROcon and the Tolkien Moot. Welcome Bags. VIP “spiff” bags. Donated premium give-aways and door prizes.

Event Budgets and Funding -
    Preliminary budgets are being drafted now, based on a mix of event needs and projected sponsorships. Direct sponsorship aid for LOTROcon and or the Tolkien Moot will be sought. Some sponsorships will be targeted to pay for collateral needs, others to cover venue costs, possible VIP expenses, and otherwise subsidies attendee perks and discounts.

Follow-up Events -
    Pre and Post screening gatherings of LOTRO and Tolkien fans, for The Hobbit in December of the next two or three years. Small gatherings of LOTRO and Tolkien fans at comic conventions globally. “The Cooking of Middle-earth” is an early development project, which is being considered for locating at The Culinary Vegetable Institute not far from LOTROcon’s current location. However a conflicting annual event may impact that possible event.

Thanks for the Update

I live in Dallas, and this week is the "Quakecon," the annual gaming conference... That got me thinking about the possibilities of LOTRO-CON and I got on the forums and found you're thread. Upon seeing the dates had passed, of course the first thing I wondered is, "How did it go?" Thanks for the update.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2