We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Andreg got your goat while Tracking an Old Goat? Look here! (contains spoilers)

!!!If you enjoy finding things out by yourself, be warned this is a list of spoilers!!!

Completing the Tracking an Old Goat deed awards a +1 Honor, a Plain Heritage Rune of Legend and 5 TP.
    The quests reward IXP, rep with Theodred's Riders, silver and a choice of armour.

Starting at Amlan's Camp at the edge of the Gravenwood, pick up the initial quest, A Dark and Lonely Forest and receive Andreg's whistle. The camp is at 83.1S, 14.6W. Each of Andreg's quests will only be bestowed at a certain location and you should not be in a fellowship. You should be solo or the all of the quests may not get triggered.

DO NOT TURN IN ''A DARK AND LONELY FOREST'' UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED ALL SIX OF THE HIDDEN QUESTS!!!! Doing so will dismiss Andreg forever and you won't be able to complete the deed. Use the esc button or close the quest page by the "x", DO NOT HIT CONTINUE or the questline will fail.

If you don't like having Andreg running after you, aggroing everything, click on his PORTRAIT and use the "dismiss pet" function. That will make him disappear, but you can still use the whistle to call him back. You can log off and take as much time between quests as you wish. The whistle will stay in your bag until you turn in the final quest. It is not necessary that you do them all at once.

Use the whistle to talk to Andreg and he bestows two quests, Grave Corruption and Eyes in the Forest. He will offer these two quests while you are in Amlan's camp. To keep things orderly:

At 83.1S, 14.6W Amlan will offer A Dark and Lonely Forest, giving you the whistle to summon Andreg.

At 83.1S, 14.6W Andreg will offer Grave Corruption and Eyes in the Forest

At 81.9S, 12.4W Andreg will offer Cruel Traps
    At 81.9S, 12.4W Andreg will offer Orc Mischief

At 83.0S, 13.8W Andreg will offer Hunting the Pack
    At 83.0S, 13.1W Andreg will offer Lost Caws

At 80.9S, 10.6W Saeradan will accept the final turn in of A Dark and Lonely Forest.

There are other quests in the area that are easy to confuse as being part of this deed, but it is only these six quests with the final wrap-up seventh quest that completes the deed and gives you the red seal in your deed log. The wrap-up quest A Dark and Lonely Forest ends with Saeredan (and a huge sigh of relief!) at the Rohirrim Scout Camp.

A few of the quests that are easily confused with the deed quests are as follows: There is a named signature hound, Drugrir close to the location where the Scouting the Path to the Rohirrim Camp objective of Eyes in the Forest is satisfied. (Don't worry, nothing will be completed until you actually click on the quest dialog and turn it in.) Killing this mob drops a quest bestowal item that IS NOT part of the Tracking an Old Goat deed. Currently, there are three quests in Gravenwood that have been temporarily removed as they were not completable after U5. Hopefully this will be resolved soon, but they do not affect Tracking an Old Goat.

There is a small range within these coordinates where Andreg will still offer his quests, but it is quite small so being at each location, solo, is necessary. You can whistle for him when you get to the location.

Unfortunately, I have heard mixed reports and have no first hand experience as to whether or not Andreg will offer quests to other people if you accidentally turn in the final wrap-up quest. If anyone can say for certain if Andreg will offer his quests and what conditions you were under at the time, i.e. in a fellowship or solo, at a bestowal location, if you had the whistle, if you had turned in the final quest early by accident etc, I would be very grateful. If any of the above is incorrect, please feel free to tell me and I will fix the post.

Fix no.1, thanks to ChromiteSwiftpaw

Nah, not hearsay. As long as you haven't done the FINAL QUEST you can pick up quests from someone else's Andreg. You can witness this when you're towing your Andreg around and suddenly a moving ring appears on your minimap that isn't your Andreg. It's someone else's where you can go pick up the quest from.
    I haven't done it, but it supports what has been said about regaining the questline without your own Andreg. (The emphasis on "final quest" is mine.)

Tracking an Old Goat by Thoroniell, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daragh; Jan 16 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: clarification

Re: Andreg got your goat while Tracking an Old Goat? Look here! (contains spoilers)

+1 rep for this post!
    Silverlode refugee

Re: Andreg got your goat while Tracking an Old Goat? Look here! (contains spoilers)

Any way to get the Quest back?i mean...after finishing the last q
    i miss 3 more quests(my main after RoI still needs 3 qs)
    where was your guide back then when we needed it!??! >: (

+rep

[Tangaar Captain R 7][Barukhazad Minstrel R 9]

Quote Originally Posted by Tangaar View Post
    Any way to get the Quest back?i mean...after finishing the last q
    i miss 3 more quests(my main after RoI still needs 3 qs)
    where was your guide back then when we needed it!??! >: (

+rep
    As far as I know, there is no way to restart or regain this questline. I've heard rumors that you can get missed quests from someone else's Andreg, but it is just hearsay.

I was still screwing up this deed on my main when we both needed a guide

Quote Originally Posted by Daragh View Post
    As far as I know, there is no way to restart or regain this questline. I've heard rumors that you can get missed quests from someone else's Andreg, but it is just hearsay.
    Nah, not hearsay. As long as you haven't done the final quest you can pick up quests from someone else's Andreg. You can witness this when you're towing your Andreg around and suddenly a moving ring appears on your minimap that isn't your Andreg. It's someone else's where you can go pick up the quest from.

Unhappy Re: Andreg got your goat while Tracking an Old Goat? Look here! (contains spoilers)

Every time i think about this deed my chest ache's, i'm usually very cautious when finishing quests but i missed the Cruel Traps one and now i'll never be able to complete it.

Sad , very sad.

Turbine PLEASE fix this... I'm stuck with a deed that I can't finish...
    only 1 away...
    “Denn die Todten reiten Schnell. (For the dead travel fast)” Bram Stoker, Dracula

This is driving me crazy. The quest box just says that any quests you have in progress with Andreg will be canceled if you do the final one, so I checked and had none more in progress. It doesn't say anything about a deed! Even though the deed is in progress at the time, it says nothing about the quests coming from Andreg, so it's not like we're ignoring some obvious piece of information. I like the mobile quest giver but he needs to actually give the quests! I never got Cruel Traps and it seems like that is the one missing for a lot of other folks as well. Please fix this, Turbine.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000002cab3/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [FONT=book antiqua][COLOR=#808080][SIZE=2]
    . . . plus too many alts![/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by koifishkid View Post
    This is driving me crazy. The quest box just says that any quests you have in progress with Andreg will be canceled if you do the final one, so I checked and had none more in progress. It doesn't say anything about a deed! Even though the deed is in progress at the time, it says nothing about the quests coming from Andreg, so it's not like we're ignoring some obvious piece of information. I like the mobile quest giver but he needs to actually give the quests! I never got Cruel Traps and it seems like that is the one missing for a lot of other folks as well. Please fix this, Turbine.
    Thankfully, this quest is being fixed in update 6:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...t=#post5937544

Posters on that other thread seem to fall into two camps:

1. Those who got lucky and completed the deed. They seem to assume that those of us who failed the deed must have rushed through the content and failed to read the text.

2. Those of us who did take the time to read the text carefully, completed all the quests in progress (the text says nothing about quests that have not been bestowed yet) and still failed the deed.

Re : Andreg got your goat while Tracking an Old Goat? Look here! (contains spoilers)

For my part i am stucked with the total opposite situation : i have done the five quests in the forest with Andreg, but when i arrive at the Rohirim scout camp, nothing happens. No interaction possible with Andreg, with Saeradan, nor with Amlan if i return to first camp. I am stucked with two quests, "Eyes in the Forest" and "A Dark and Lonely Forest", which are in fact twice the same quest : going to the Rohirim camp following the path.
    So, what does exactly say "Eyes in the Forest" :
    "Andreg has asked you to help him scout the Gravenwood -- specifically the path to the Rohirrim scout-camp -- for signs of Gwyllion's passage."
    So, starting from the first camp, where Amlan is, summoning Andreg, i follow the path to the Rohirrim camp.
    Nothing happens, until the path crosses another chunk of the server, another "zone" of Gravenwood, where my Andreg disappear, and the whistle in my inventory becomes red, i can't use it. So i continue the path alone, in direction of the Rohirrim camp, keeping an eye on my inventory, until the path returns in the right server chunk, and there my whistle becomes again useable. I resummon Andreg, follow with him the path to the rohirrim camp, and there, nothing at all.
    What i suppose, as you are all talking about a message warning to not finsih the main quest (which i can't finish), and about a point where something happens on the path, is that what is supposed to happen to me on the path doesn't trigger, because it is certainly on this piece of path where Andreg doesn't follow me and where i can't summon him as it's part of another server chunk.
    Anyone else has experienced that ? Any solution ? i have read many threads about this very poorly designed quest line, but have found no one in my case

There is a named signature hound, Drugrir close to the location where the Scouting the Path to the Rohirrim Camp objective of Eyes in the Forest is satisfied.
    Taogan, have you gotten just off the path (to the right) to where this hound is? You don't need to defeat it, but it seems to be the evil thing that signals Gwyllion's passage. It'll probably aggro on you once you get close enough to finish the Scouting the Path quest. The text is misleading, it sounds like you need to get *to* the camp, but you actually need to scout off to the side of it. If memory serves, the spot where Drugrir is and the location to finish that quest, is to the south and slightly west of the Rohirrim camp. If Andreg disappears and the whistle turns red, it means you've left the zone.

http://lotro.allakhazam.com/db/map_new.html?area=52
    Under the "d" in Gravenwood is the spot to head for.

Re : Andreg got your goat while Tracking an Old Goat? Look here! (contains spoilers)

Oh you are right !
    In fact i was logically thinking that something would happen on the path between the first camp where Amlan gives me the quest and the Rohirrim Camp where he tells me to go... But no ! it's BEYOND the Rohirrim camp, to the south ! and not even on the path !
    I'm an old school lotro player, i don't use the quest guide cheating thing, i read the quests, as we had to do in old times... a time where they really had to be logical and to think of the player when they were writting the descriptions of the quests
    Well i have finished that deed now, thank you for your help
    But guess what... it's not getting better :
    Saeradan gives me a pickaxe to go dig at the big tree. I do that, fight the monster, come back to Saeradan, who is angry because i have lost his pickaxe (what the hell, i have lost nothing, it disappeard from by bag and there's nothing to pick on the floor). Then he gives me a new pickaxe and says : click on the new pickaxe in your inventory to start a new quest.
    Guess what... there's no pickaxe in my inventory... *sighs* (and yes i have verified many times each item i have in my inventory, there is really no pickaxe...).
    I don't know if it was the same develloper but really, this is not acceptable

I remember bits of that quest with the pickaxe (grats by the way, for getting that deed done!) but since any item you use during a quest is now part of the tracker, you might try putting the quest tracker up and trying using it from that display. I don't remember enough of that particular quest to be of much help, but I know there are a few Gravenwood quests that were removed temporarily as they weren't completable after U5. If you can't finish this quest, it might be bugged as well. If so, definitely report it!

can anyone else see the quest tracking for this deed.? due to the patch i cant even see how many quests i have done in gravenwood so i have no clue how close or far away i am to complete this deed..

none of the gravenwood quests even show in my quest tracker even tho i know i did all of these quests.

Angry

I'm on this now and it's beyond annoying! I've run all over by where that named dog is and not triggered anything. I think it's the last I need and I can't seem to get past it.

This is outdated information, the quest chain can be restarted from Amlan at your convenience. I believe they did several other changes to the quest chain as well, like making the kill of the signature mob unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubousensei View Post
    This is outdated information, the quest chain can be restarted from Amlan at your convenience. I believe they did several other changes to the quest chain as well, like making the kill of the signature mob unnecessary.
    I believe you can only restart the chain ONCE unless they've made other unannounced changes since the whole uproar was declared 'solved'.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Thumbs down

Worst. Quest. Ever.