We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best hunter virtues?

I am currently using...

Determination
    Justice
    Valour
    Loyalty
    Honesty

as my line up, however im only level 32 and before I commit to this build I was hoping for some input from seasoned players. What are your builds? I am a solo playing hunter, not often do I fellowship with other unless its an occasional skirmish. I want to make sure I am the best possible trait wise for soloing.

Re: Best hunter virtues?

At the moment Zeal is the best all-round virtue trait, but it is very hard to get high rank on that one until you're at Moria. When you get Zeal up, I would probably swap it for Honesty or Justice.

Defensive virtues give much much much more than stat virtues....thats mostly due to the changes in stat effects with RoI, and the fact that no virtues give stats like crit, finesse, or physical mastery. The amount of, say, +agi or +max morale you get from even a L12 virtue is negligible compared to what you get from mits and armor and resists.

You want to look for the following stats:
    Physical Mitigation
    Armor
    OOCPR
    Resistance
    Tactical Mitigation

I'd say in that order, too. Innocence, Zeal, Empathy, Compassion, Charity are the best bet. OOCPR is going to be more or less important to you depending on your traits, gear, and whether or not you mind always using regen food, but as a soloist and especially a skirmisher, you dont want to have to wait for power.
    Last edited by droid; Jan 09 2012 at 06:25 PM.

i'm currently using:

valour (morale)
    zeal (morale, phys mit)
    compassion (phys mit)
    tolerance (tac mit)
    fidelity (tac mit)
    Forgotten_Legend, The Baconnaire
    Malinon - 75 Champion | JAZRAIEL - 100 HUNTER | Taeran - 75 RuneKeeper

As droid and Forgotten_Legend said, everyone in my kin, no matter what class they are, currently do not unslot +tact and +physical mitigation virtues. Presently, it's impossible to do without any of those for the new raid, and it helps a lot everywhere else. On any alt I do level up, I won't be even bothering to level up any other virtues other then the ones that give me tact mit and phys mit, other then valour.

Which, to me, is a bit sad. Before ROI, virtues helped us gain a bit of an edge over the raid, every single one of us had different virtues traited, because each of us needed different things to help round out our characters just that little bit. Now every single one of us running arround with the same virtues traited.

Turbine: either fix your game, or let us slot all of our virtues so we can use some of the ones that we all worked so hard for before the expansion, to have to not be able to use them.

Honestly, I've seen very little armour, nevermind jewellery, that even offers tact and phys mitigation, other then perhaps for tanks. And even then finding one that does, with agi AND morale? Impossible! Yes, I know morale isn't everything, but when you get devastated for nearly 4k every 30 or so seconds in Saruman, that makes it REALLY difficult for the two healers you have with you.

Some of you are giving tips for raiding hunters, read OPs post again:

Quote Originally Posted by Vorez View Post
    ... I am a solo playing hunter, not often do I fellowship with other unless its an occasional skirmish. I want to make sure I am the best possible trait wise for soloing.
    For soloing, having the up-to 650 extra morale from Valour and Zeal is far better than having extra up-to 800 phys or tact mitigation, as 800 phys or tact mitigation is max 3-4% less incoming damage where 650 morale can be a big contribution to morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    Some of you are giving tips for raiding hunters, read OPs post again:

For soloing, having the up-to 650 extra morale from Valour and Zeal is far better than having extra up-to 800 phys or tact mitigation, as 800 phys or tact mitigation is max 3-4% less incoming damage where 650 morale can be a big contribution to morale.
    Zeal, no doubt, because that gives you the phys mit too. Valour, I'm less sure about for the soloist...OOCMR is nice but not really that necessary, and Might is of course largely pointless for a Hunter. So that extra 300ish morale, by endgame where a decently equipped soloist might have 4-5k morale, is only maybe 6% extra morale.

Empathy would be my suggestion instead, since that 540 armor rating (which is probably 5% extra Common mit right there) and 600 resistance would make up for most if not all of that morale lost....and its always better for Hunters to avoid/mitigate damage than try to absorb it, since that makes things like Agile Morale and morale pots more effective over time, which of course is important for solo hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten_Legend View Post
    i'm currently using:

valour (morale)
    zeal (morale, phys mit)
    compassion (phys mit)
    tolerance (tac mit)
    fidelity (tac mit)

I use the exact same set of virtues.
    "For them to perceive the advantage of defeating the enemy, they must also have their rewards." ~Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Yosoff View Post
    I use the exact same set of virtues.
    Why not use virtues which add to agility?

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by elammakil View Post
    Why not use virtues which add to agility?
    Because agility is easy to come by with other means, phys- and tact- mitigation is not

Determination is the highest agility virtue there is. Max-agility you can get from DET is +42 (iirc, virtue at level 16). If you already have 2.5k-3k agi, 42 more can be considered less worth than better survivability. It's a good trade. High mit and morale virtues gives you the possibility to use agi-jewellery and phys-mastery settings, runes and gems on your legendaries instead of + morale-stuff.

Note: I think everyone in this thread speaks about what is good for grouping/instances. If you are a solo-player who only does landscape and normal questing another virtue-set might be better than those mentioned. 'Normal' enemies in LoTRo don't do tactical damage. This means the tactical mitigation-virtues are pretty much useless if you only 'hunt' in those places. In that case taking determination instead or tolerance or fidelity is probably a very smart move

Hope this helped and not only added to the confusion

Regards and happy hunting!
    /T
    Dawarad HNT | Dawadan MIN | Dawfast CMP | Dawaran CPT | Dawmur GRD | Dawared WRD | Dawagrim RK | Dawaras LM | Daweric BRG | Dawagar MIN | Dawarar CMP | Dawnakh WRG | Dawbag BA | Dawgil WVR | Dawglob WL |

im am a pure soloist and im pve and standard quests. when i get home let me look up what i have slotted, cant remember why for each but seemed logical when i changed them last which was ages ago.
    Burn the books!

So what exactly -IS- tactical mitigation good for? Not needed for open world PvE mobs?

Where does tactical damage come from as far as PvE and Instances/Skirms/Raids?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambien View Post
    So what exactly -IS- tactical mitigation good for? Not needed for open world PvE mobs?

Where does tactical damage come from as far as PvE and Instances/Skirms/Raids?
    Most instance bosses use tactical damage like shadow damage, and having Tact Mits really helps cut down the random hits you'll receive throughout different fights. All of ToO is tactical damage save a few adds, for example. Stacking tactical mits instead of the raw morale from some of the virtues can help a healer a lot by mitigation a good percentage of the AoE or random aggro attacks.

I leveled my hunter solo, and my style was similar to yours.

What i liked most, were OOCPR & Physical Mitigation, then Morale; so the best virtues for me were Compassion, Charity, Zeal. You are supposed to kill anything before they reach you, lower downtime, and survive (=flee) those situation in which you are outnumbered in melee.

Other virtues you can slot depend on what level they are: on one hand, it's pointless imho to grind them at earlier levels, on the other hand, the virtues from the starting areas (Ered Luin, Bree, Shire, maybe LL) are so easily attainable that you can get them all with no significant slowdown... Determination, Justice, Mercy are useful. You also get some resistance, which can be convenient to counter bleeds, fears and disease (for poison, you have the skill)

Mobs mainly do physical damage, the only thing you need Tactical Mitigation for, while leveling, is skirmishes if you do them in group and can't handle threat: some lieutenants and bosses deal tactical damage (as i learned the hard way).
    Three fighters for the Free People under the sky
    Six less frequently used, on their benches of stone
    Nine they are in total, doomed to guild crafting
    One will never move from the oven, 'cause I can't play Burglar

OUT of Combat Power Regen?

Pardon me while I go put babies in a blender...

/facepalm
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000002964/01002/signature.png]Cassandra[/charsig]

[url]http://my.lotro.com/character/windfola/cassandra[/url]

Yes, OOCPR is not of much use, especially not if you use the 30 minute OOC regen food from Bree (lvl 5-20) Evendim (lvl 20-45) or Moria (lvl 45+).