We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Happy Birthday Tolkien

Taking a moment away from all of the other madness of the forums to remind everyone that today would be Tolkien's birthday . Take a bit of time to remember the man who sparked a tremendous influence in fantasy writing and, later, gaming. If you have a quote, poem, or memory pertaining to Tolkien, post it up!

I'll part with a Bilbo quote to you all:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

This nerd moment has been brought to you by Doomsie, Tolkien nerd extraordinaire.
    Doomsidoo - R5 defiler. DD
    Myfriend - R4 reaver. Ridder

Re: Happy Birthday Tolkien

Happy Birthday!

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it. It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. (Galadriel - FOTR)
    . Montras (Main - Hunter 95); Goswen (Minstrel - 95): Monntras (Captain - 21) ; Amtu (Black Arrow R8) Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle

Here's another quote I love:

Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.
    . Montras (Main - Hunter 95); Goswen (Minstrel - 95): Monntras (Captain - 21) ; Amtu (Black Arrow R8) Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle

San Mateo, CA, USA

I raise my can of 7-Up to the Inklingest of The Inklings. Bravo, Tollers!

I know I'm a bit late but Happy Birthday Tolkien. Thanks for making such an amazing series for the entire world to enjoy.

One of my favorite quotes was already used. [The one from Gandalf]

Its a rather long quote, but I think it rings true in today's daily struggles as much as it would have in Frodo's time....

Sam: It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#daa520][SIZE=3][FONT=palatino linotype]Razzgash R12 Warg -- Razzgrish R12 Blackarrow -- Razztankz R12 Warleader
    Razztoxin R11 Weaver -- Razzhealzu R10 Defiler -- Razzbladez R9 Reaver[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Happy Birthday Professor

My favorite of Tolkien has to be his well known poem.

The Road goes ever on and on
    Down from the door where it began,
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow if I can,
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many path and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say.

I always like going South; somehow, it feels like going downhill.
    - Treebeard