We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

in-game voice chat advice?

Hey folks,
    I wasn't entirely sure where the best place to pose this question, but UI seemed sort of appropriate.
    Anyways; I'm having trouble with the in-game voice chat. I can hear people (mostly), but they can't hear me.

Here are the brief highlights to my issues
    - People can't hear me (more details below)
    - Other people's voice volume varies dramatically but they are always significantly lower than the rest of the game sounds (more details below)

Here's a little more explanation to those issues:
    First, I also have vent and people seem to be able to hear me just fine and I can hear them just fine (and of course in the cases where I can't I can adjust individual people's volumes specifically)
    I mention that because it makes me believe the issues are with LOTRO and not something I'm doing wrong... but on the same hand I find that hard to believe because I would think people would complain about the in-game chat all the time if that were the case.

When I say "People can't hear me" I mean my little voice chat icon turns red when I press my button but no one can hear me. Under the audio panel when I check the Mic Test box the box to the right never turns green no matter what settings I choose. I've tried testing while holding down the trigger button to talk as well as not pressing anything.
    Here's my current settings:
    Voice Enabled: [checked]
    Hands Free Voice: [unchecked]
    Voice Volume: 1.00
    Voice Microphone Gain: 1.00
    Voice Capture Threshold: 0.10
    Voice Playback Latency (MS): 250.0
    Voice Playback Device: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
    Voice Capture Device: Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) [this is my only drop-down choice]

When I say "Other people's voice volumes are significantly lower than other game sounds" I mean I literally have to adjust all of the game sound/music levels to somewhere between 0.05 and 0.10 in order to make other people's voices audible to the degree I need. Of course, this makes me have to pump the volume up on my speakers/headphones pretty significantly and I need to turn it back down when I do anything other than play LOTRO.

I applaud anyone that was able to read through this entire post, and I am extremely grateful to anyone that might have some suggestions.

For other information, I'm running Win7 64-bit and here is the export from my DxDiag:
    -------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0 888&SUBSYS_104382FE&REV_1001
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 65535
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
    Driver Version: 6.01.7601.17514 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    Date and Size: 11/20/2010 02:44:23, 350208 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    HW Accel Level: Basic
    Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: No
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
    Default Sound Playback: No
    Default Voice Playback: No
    Other Files:

Description: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
    Default Sound Playback: No
    Default Voice Playback: No
    Other Files:

---------------------
    Sound Capture Devices
    ---------------------
    Description: Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)
    Default Sound Capture: Yes
    Default Voice Capture: Yes
    Cap Flags: 0x1
    Format Flags: 0xFFFFF
    [LEFT][B][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=#ffffff][COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR]'[/COLOR]l[/COLOR][COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR]'[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[COLOR=#ffffff]'[/COLOR]l[COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=red]===== [COLOR=black]:::[/COLOR]Brandywine
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white][B][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=white][COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR]'[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR]'[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[COLOR=#ffffff]'[/COLOR]l[COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]===== [COLOR=#000000]:::[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white][B][B][COLOR=#ff0000][B][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=#ff0000][B][B]========== [COLOR=#000000]:::[/COLOR]
    [/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white]========== [COLOR=#000000]:::[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/LEFT]

Re: in-game voice chat advice?

I use Teamspeak and there I'm able to hear and be heard just fine

In LOTRO's voice chat I have pretty much the same settings as you (music volume downed, voice volume maxed), can hear fine and can even be heard, although not as good as in TS

LOTRO's voice chat is simply too weak and many people have this problem I'm afraid
    Retired for good.

Re: in-game voice chat advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiolas View Post
    I use Teamspeak and there I'm able to hear and be heard just fine

In LOTRO's voice chat I have pretty much the same settings as you (music volume downed, voice volume maxed), can hear fine and can even be heard, although not as good as in TS

LOTRO's voice chat is simply too weak and many people have this problem I'm afraid
    Thanks Chiolas, can you do me a favor and try checking your mic test functionality in the audio menu and see if the green bar fills up when you talk after checking the box?
    [LEFT][B][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=#ffffff][COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR]'[/COLOR]l[/COLOR][COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR]'[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[COLOR=#ffffff]'[/COLOR]l[COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=red]===== [COLOR=black]:::[/COLOR]Brandywine
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white][B][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=white][COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR]'[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR]'[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[COLOR=#ffffff]'[/COLOR]l[COLOR=white].[COLOR=#4169e1]l[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]===== [COLOR=#000000]:::[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white][B][B][COLOR=#ff0000][B][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=#ff0000][B][B]========== [COLOR=#000000]:::[/COLOR]
    [/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][B][COLOR=white][B][COLOR=white]========== [COLOR=#000000]:::[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/LEFT]