We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Where to Farm Hides?

So I've asked this question in the past, and there were lists on the forums at one points that gave good locations to farm the various tiers of hides, but I can't find that info anymore, so I thought I'd ask again, and see if we can't compile an up to date list.

Here's what I've been using:

T1: Bridgefields Wall & Puddifoot's Fields in the Shire
    T2: Wolf den near the Weatherway in the Weather Hills, bears at Withywindle (Old Forest?), Barghests and Barrow-Hounds in the Barrow-Downs drop 2 hides per kill
    T3: Ruins of Ost Durgonn, just north-east of the Last Bridge, the Hoar-Mantles in Kingsfell, North Downs and out by Esteldin drop 3 hides per kill
    T4: Bear Den east of Ost Forod, Hoar-Mantles in MM. Drop 3 hides per kill
    T5: Burnt Tor north-west of Echad Dunann, Hoar-Mantles in Forochel drop 3 hides per kill
    T6 - Magnificent: Library just north of Dolven View
    T6 - Extraordinary: Woods of Lothlorien
    T7: Trum Dreng, Wargs in SE Mirkwood, Starkmoor
    T8: Fang Point, Howling Wood, cows south-east of Eaworth
    Last edited by Drogo1; Oct 17 2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Update with latest, add initial T8 spots
    Mostly Harmless since 1999!
    Silverlode: Ogord - lv85 Hobbit Guardian; Shaewyn - lv75 Hobbit Minstrel; Odorfi - lv61 Dwarf hunter; Ogordi - lv51 Human Warden

Re: Where to Farm Hides?

Quote Originally Posted by Drogo1 View Post
    So I've asked this question in the past, and there were lists on the forums at one points that gave good locations to farm the various tiers of hides, but I can't find that info anymore, so I thought I'd ask again, and see if we can't compile an up to date list.

Here's what I've been using:

T1: Bridgefields Wall & Puddifoot's Fields in the Shire
    T2: Wolf den near the Weatherway in the Weather Hills
    T3: Ruins of Ost Durgonn, just north-east of the Last Bridge
    T4: Bear Den east of Ost Forod
    T5: Burnt Tor north-west of Echad Dunann
    T6 - Magnificent: Library just north of Dolven View
    T6 - Extraordinary: Woods of Lothlorien
    T7:

So, any better places for any of those? How about Tier 7, anyone find a good farming ground for those yet?
    T1: Wolf Den near Celondim or Wolf Den near Michel Delving.
    T2: I think all of the boars and bears East of Adso's Camp drop medium, plus the ruins with all of the bears near there.
    T3: Wargs near Dol Dinen.
    T4: Wolf Den in the Trollshaws (plus you can usually get the rare to spawn and get an Adamant shard out of it)
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

• T5: Starkath in the Misty Mountains is by far the best place IMO (it's the warg area in the NE corner). There are no other MOBs there and it's a complete loop. There are several stealth wargs so if they are gray to you you might have to AOE to find them but once you learn where they are they always spawn in the same spots.
    • T6: Extraordinary: What about the worm den in the Flaming Deeps? I can't remember if they drop hides. Far West side north of the exit to the Water Works. Again, there are no other MOBs here, only worms. Alternatively any beast den in Southern Eregion or Ednewaith should work.
    • T7: Trum Drang in Dunland (NW area). Ox's (neutral), boars (threateners), and wolves (aggro) a-plenty, low concentration of non-beasts.
    [CENTER][COLOR="PaleGreen"]Explorer 100%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Achiever 67%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Yellow"]Socializer 33%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Red"]Killer 13%[/COLOR][/CENTER]

T6 - Magnificent. North of the Burnt Tor is good for this, especially the goats. Some goats are T6 hides, but most are T6.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001e0ecc/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

T5 - There's a camp in Forochel full of saber tooths (except when not controlled by the enemy), I guess wargs are easier to kill, will have to check the place in Misty stated above. The place is just south of the second town or encampent in forochel. You get a deed, plus some rep items (not the 700xp ones though)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000184e62/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

T7: Large Hides. The Turm Dreng area is definitely a good one since all of the mobs drop hides. Oxen sometimes drop 2 or 3. In the Starkmoor there are large numbers of oxen as well, plus a warg/wolf den. All are good for working on your beast-slayer deed as well!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000002cab3/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [FONT=book antiqua][COLOR=#808080][SIZE=2]
    . . . plus too many alts![/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by koifishkid View Post
    T7: Large Hides. The Turm Dreng area is definitely a good one since all of the mobs drop hides. Oxen sometimes drop 2 or 3. In the Starkmoor there are large numbers of oxen as well, plus a warg/wolf den. All are good for working on your beast-slayer deed as well!
    Yeah, I was noticing that the Sig Bulls in Starkmoor were dropping 3 hides pretty often last night. Very good way to get quick stacks.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrolen View Post
    Yeah, I was noticing that the Sig Bulls in Starkmoor were dropping 3 hides pretty often last night. Very good way to get quick stacks.
    It seems as there was a change to quite a few sigs. so they drop three hides instead of two max. The aurochs just west of Esteldin drop up to three each and you can get stacks of Sturdy Hides very quickly.

For T7s, last time I checked the warg area in SE Mirkwood dropped large hides instead of extraordinary so it was a nice out of the way place to farm large hides.

Oh - and T2 another out of the way spot - bears at Withywindle drop Medium hides and there are a pretty large pool to slaughter if people are questing at the wolves den NW of Bree or the Bear den NW of the camp. When farming hides I tend to like places out of the way so I'm not interferring with those questing.
    Last edited by Fipiara; Jan 26 2012 at 01:55 PM.
    [u][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEsCKAb7r0"]Sauron vs. Tom Bombadil[/url][/u][COLOR="Red"] [/color][COLOR="Orange"] A fun what-if video I hope brings a smile[/color][COLOR="Red"][/color]

anyone know a more specific area in Lothlorien woods for hides? i have tried all over and the mobs are spread out and less that 50% drops hides at all? the shrews and wolverines dont seem to drop hides at all

T2: Barghests and Barrow-Hounds in the Barrow-Downs drop 2 hides per kill, plus you're going to be there quite a while for those long (and boring) deeds so why not?
    T3: the Hoar-Mantles in Kingsfell, North Downs and out by Esteldin drop 3 hides per kill. Fast stacks (kingsfell ones are lvl 27 and the ones by Esteldin are lvl 32)
    T4: Again Hoar-Mantles, but this time in MM. Drop 3 hides per kill. (lvl 39)
    T5: Hoar-Mantles in Forochel drop 3 hides per kill. (lvl 49 though, watch out for that)

has anybody tried the Goats in Eregion? or do those not drop T6 hides?

I hate the fact many of the places you lot want to farm are quest mobs and you're intent on decimating the populations making questing difficult or impossible: the wolf den in Trollshaws immediately springs to mind.

Anyone got ideas for Tier 8? Fang Point has been the only candidate I've seen so far, for the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin_Eldar View Post
    I hate the fact many of the places you lot want to farm are quest mobs and you're intent on decimating the populations making questing difficult or impossible: the wolf den in Trollshaws immediately springs to mind.
    Wherever there is an area concentrated with a certain type of enemy, there is usually a quest to accompany it. There is no working around it. If you want gatherers to stay out of these concentrated areas, then you are making gathering difficult or impossible.

Not to mention that neither questing or gathering have some sort of priority of rights over an area. What a civilized pair of players would do is talk to each other and decide to group up for mutual benefit, instead of fighting over kills.
    [CENTER][B]Yalras - Burglar[/B]
    [SIZE=1]Eldar to Evernight[/CENTER][/SIZE]

There's some good spots for T8 hide. Howling Wood seems like the best spot so far IMO. The wargs respawn fast and it's a fairly large POI so you don't have to do much running around. Fangs Point is good too but there's only like 6 wargs there. I didn't notice how quick the respawn was. I don't like waiting so if they haven't respawned by the time you've killed them all, you're wasting time.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

T8 hides - cows!

With the servers being down at the moment I can't check the correct name for the place, but I can try to describe. It is the field to the south-east of Eaworth with some lakes and herds of calves/cows/bulls. They are non-aggressive (only the Bulls are) and you can agro as many as you wish. It is a paradise for classes with good AoE skills (e.g. a captain on a war-steed in the Riddermark discipline ).
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Kadarka - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasa View Post
    T8 hides - cows!

With the servers being down at the moment I can't check the correct name for the place, but I can try to describe. It is the field to the south-east of Eaworth with some lakes and herds of calves/cows/bulls. They are non-aggressive (only the Bulls are) and you can agro as many as you wish. It is a paradise for classes with good AoE skills (e.g. a captain on a war-steed in the Riddermark discipline ).
    I'll check this out. Cows prolly don't give the cripple wound like wargs do. I hate limping around.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by jayspeed View Post
    I'll check this out. Cows prolly don't give the cripple wound like wargs do. I hate limping around.
    Cows stun you :/
    though for me this is the best spot and I could not find anything better. It is amazing to one-shot 4-6 small calves with one captain's cry and watch all those hides ending up in your bags
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Kadarka - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

List updated with the info posted so far
    Silverlode: Ogord - lv85 Hobbit Guardian; Shaewyn - lv75 Hobbit Minstrel; Odorfi - lv61 Dwarf hunter; Ogordi - lv51 Human Warden

T7 & t8?

Any more suggestions for Tier 7 & 8?

Thank you all, this is very helpful

Can anyone who's been in beta offer feedback on hide farming locations before HD launches?