We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Housing inspector?

Did anyone get a trophy or a visit from a GM?
    I decorated all nicely just for this but haven't heard a thing if anyone was visited.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000001579/01008/signature.png]Niewen[/charsig]
    1 Twinfall Path, Celous Glorui

Re: Housing inspector?

Just another attempt to get people to actually log into the game.

Or pay their upkeep, or get some more folks moving around.

The chance someone actually visited one of my houses is so small that I didn't bother to even have a look there.

Or to waste money buying deco from the lotro store.
    The Lonely Mountain Band
    Pouncival-Rank 15 aroo-Leader of the Pouncing Pwny
    We Pounce Because We Care

As with the Cremello Steed giveaway on Christmas Day, chances are very high that someone got the Inspector's thumbs up who doesn't even look at the forums.
    [COLOR="#6666ff"][FONT=Century Gothic]To many people, free will is a license to rebel not against what is unjust or hard in life but against what is best for them and true.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Abiyah View Post
    As with the Cremello Steed giveaway on Christmas Day, chances are very high that someone got the Inspector's thumbs up who doesn't even look at the forums.
    Good for them. Reading and interacting on the forums isn't a requirement.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrolen View Post
    Good for them. Reading and interacting on the forums isn't a requirement.
    How would they have known about this event if they don't visit the forums? It's actually a very interesting concept: that someone can win who has no idea that the contest is going on. It's not like with the lotteries, where only those who sign up have a chance.

Also, it can be very enlightening for players to read posts on the forums, for a variety of reasons.

In light of the official announcement of this event:

Quote Originally Posted by Celestrata
    You better tidy up your house, as the GMs are coming to inspect them! This weekend, our team of GMs will be house hunting, looking for residences that please the eye. If a GM visits your house and likes the design, you might win a trophy, or a special music box!

This event will be taking place from today until Sunday across all servers. Good luck!
    I too would like to see a picture of what this trophy looks like, what the house(s) that won look(s) like, and what the speciality of the music box is. And there are quite a few home decorators here on the forums as well. I would expect that they would like to know too.

We can only find out if/when someone who 'won' would post here. So even though, as you state, posting here is not a requirement, some of the forum users would like to know, especially after what happened with the 'herd'.

That there is no one who has posted leads to speculation: did anyone win? How many per server? What criteria? When do those inspections take place? Do I have time to prepare? Why don't they post about their winnings? Why is there no follow up announcement with pictures? Have people won who only pay upkeep but do no longer play and are the winnings still sitting in a mail box? Why not make this an enrolment event?

I find it unfortunate that the announcement indicates (you might win) that there still is an element of chance after the most pleasing houses are selected. For some unknown reason these rewards seem to not be handed out directly. This leads to the inference that only very few rewards were handed out.

Because it is not announced how many houses can win per server, and also not how many houses will be visited, the chance that a random house is visited and has a chance to win is imnsho very tiny. This might be to keep the rewards exclusive, it might also be done for other reasons.

The most influential (addictive) way of giving rewards is on a random interval basis. However, participants can only be pushed so far. Once not enough reinforcement is given, interest diminishes sharply. In this case, some forumers are seeking confirmation of their expectations, and would like to know if their efforts gave them a better chance. No one knows whether his/her house was visited (except those who won, and maybe they don't play anymore). I think that somewhere, somehow, the lack of information about this event (especially after the Cremello steed disappointment) is bad for emotional player investment in the game. Unless hardly anybody knew about it, and there were not many expectations that could be disappointed. After all, no one has to read the forums.
    Last edited by WickedWitch99; Jan 03 2012 at 05:31 AM.

I'd bet that the GMs had to give up as they ran across so many locked houses.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWitch99 View Post
    However, participants can only be pushed so far. Once not enough reinforcement is given, interest diminishes sharply. In this case, some forumers are seeking confirmation of their expectations, and would like to know if their efforts gave them a better chance. No one knows whether his/her house was visited (except those who won, and maybe they don't play anymore). I think that somewhere, somehow, the lack of information about this event (especially after the Cremello steed disappointment) is bad for emotional player investment in the game.
    This, and the rest of the post along with it, states very clearly my unspoken thought behind my previous post. A contest was announced. So, too, a winner, or winners, need to be announced, otherwise it looks like a sham. Announcing the winner is good publicity; it creates interest.
    Last edited by Abiyah; Jan 03 2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    [COLOR="#6666ff"][FONT=Century Gothic]To many people, free will is a license to rebel not against what is unjust or hard in life but against what is best for them and true.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Abiyah View Post
    Did anyone win one of the horses?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000001579/01008/signature.png]Niewen[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Akaara View Post
    Did anyone win one of the horses?
    It seems that way, yes. One person did post in the below thread-link that they did receive a horse. Since it wasn't officially a "contest", the word "win" doesn't really fit; it was more of a gift. It's later in the thread; this page the link leads to has Celestrata's post about the giveaway results.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...giveaway/page7

I had a visit from the housing inspector! I was away last week and did not know about the event.I was super surprised when i logged in on Monday and found a lovely letter from a GM and a trophy in my mail. I'll post some pics of the trophy and my hobbit house when i get home from work
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000c032e/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [B][COLOR=royalblue]#4 Wending Way, Appledell The Shire[/COLOR][/B]

so you didn't even have to be logged in to win. Yes please post pictures.

Here's a photo of the trophy.

and some of my humble home

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000c032e/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

a few more

As you can see my house is nothing fancy but it is cozy
    Last edited by Tumblertwist; Jan 08 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Very nice, and congratulations!

thank you for sharing. looks nice