We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Should I try out scripting...

I've been playing LotRO for a bit now and noticed how plugins are Lua based. Now, I haven't done Lua but I am familiar with C, C++, Java, PHP and a few other languages and thought I might try my hand at plugin creation.

I recently just noticed the plugin support actually.

I've noticed a bunch of great little resources posted here, though should I take a look into it? I would like to see how Lua works and how to make plugins etc. I come from playing WoW and using plugins made it much more fun, but I never did get into writing any plugins. I did debug some to get them working with patches etc but never actually sat down and learned Lua properly.

I'm sure I could think of cool things to do with it and LotRO. Besides, I love programming and being a code monkey so perhaps I should look more into it.

What would you suggest?

Re: Should I try out scripting...

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxDragun View Post
    I've been playing LotRO for a bit now and noticed how plugins are Lua based. Now, I haven't done Lua but I am familiar with C, C++, Java, PHP and a few other languages and thought I might try my hand at plugin creation.

I recently just noticed the plugin support actually.

I've noticed a bunch of great little resources posted here, though should I take a look into it? I would like to see how Lua works and how to make plugins etc. I come from playing WoW and using plugins made it much more fun, but I never did get into writing any plugins. I did debug some to get them working with patches etc but never actually sat down and learned Lua properly.

I'm sure I could think of cool things to do with it and LotRO. Besides, I love programming and being a code monkey so perhaps I should look more into it.

What would you suggest?
    By all means, give it a shot. It shouldn't be terribly difficult to get the hang of it with your programming background. There are however two big things to remember, first it's still basically a Beta interface and there is virtually no support for it from Turbine -the two Turbine devs who seem to do all the Lua work seem to be doing it on their own time. Second, there is currently very little of the game interface that is exposed to Lua so it is not capable of many of the things you may have seen in WoW. While they do continue to expose new parts of the game, it is a very slow process and can require a lot of patience (as noted above, the devs seem to be tackling this on their own time, which would explain the severely limited interface exposure).

Re: Should I try out scripting...

Only if you find it enhances your enjoyment of the game. As Garan said, what is possible right now is a little limited - but there is still a heck of a lot that can be done. Most of the time a small bug will crop up that stops your plugin being perfect, and this is the biggest time sink - getting around code limitations.

But... if you find the challenge of producing interesting and useful plugins enjoyable - YES!
    Formerly know as [B]MrJackdaw[/B]
    Author of [I]Bevy-o-Bars, SortPack, VBar[/I] and [I]BuffFrame[/I]
    Characters; [B]Dirmac[/B], [B]Dvarlin [/B]and [B]Fathiriel[/B]