We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Devs: help us understand the scope of what we're asking for

I realize blue-name responses in the Housing section are scarcer than hens' teeth, but here goes anyway.

A couple of caveats/provisions. I understand that:
    1. Estimating the amount of effort to implement features in a large, complicated software system is an inexact science.
    2. Devs, for the most part, don't make the decisions about how to allocate their time and effort.

That said, could one of the devs give us a *ballpark estimate* of how large an effort is represented by some of the commonly requested housing improvements?

Case A: More hooks are added to the existing system.

Case B: The hook system is replaced with one that allows for free (or "more free") item placement.

Case C: An extensive housing system revamp/rewrite.

Can you (roughly) compare the level of effort in each case to some recently added game features? For example: the Instance Finder, the Draigoch raid, or the stat revamp (consolidation of resistances into physical and tactical, addition of Finesse, removal of stat caps)?

I know these are pretty much apples-to-oranges comparisons, but it would be really nice to have a *general* idea of the scope of what we're asking for in terms of housing improvements.

I believe there must be one or two Turbine devs who would love to give housing some attention if time were allocated to it. But the housing system has been low-priority for so long that I assume either it represents a huge investment of dev resources, or Turbine doesn't think it would generate very much player goodwill and Store purchases. Or both.

Thanks in advance, devs, for any insight you can give us about this. And thanks for your hard work on this great game, too.

Re: Devs: help us understand the scope of what we're asking for

Even if they added more hooks to the housing system as store purchases, I would probably buy them. I need more room to decorate!!!

I like the idea of the hooks being taken away. I think Everquest 2 did a great job on their housing. You could put your items anywhere you wanted in the house, but you had a limit to how many items could go in.

Quote Originally Posted by goddess22 View Post
    Even if they added more hooks to the housing system as store purchases, I would probably buy them. I need more room to decorate!!!
    Oh yes! What I wouldn't give for a nice knick knack shelf! ... and doilies!

Seriously, We have been banging our heads against this wall for so long that the wall has fallen over. Please, devs, at least acknowledge that this thread exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Issachar44 View Post
    That said, could one of the devs give us a *ballpark estimate* of how large an effort is represented by some of the commonly requested housing improvements?
    Software Development houses consider this kind of information top secret business information. It is never given out in public. It is only given to people inside the company who have a "Need to Know" with a Non Disclosure Agreement.

The process is that a lead engineer is asked to cost out their little piece of a feature. That is sent up the chain to be consolidated and presented to the management team. If Turbine works like the software houses that I worked for. It works one of two ways:

1) There is a single lead that consolidates all the costing information for the feature. They submit the costing information to the management team. I've done this role in development before. I am never been allowed to share to information to any one else. Not even a fellow employee.

2) Developers are organized in groups under team leaders and supervisors. Each developer does their little part of the costing information. They send it up the management tree. As you go up the management chain, the various numbers are examined, questioned and massaged at each level before being sent up the next level. The only people that know the cost of any feature are the management team that sets the feature list and their support staff.

I have no idea which one Turbine uses. I know method 1 is used some of the time. Method 1 is the only way pet projects can be done. You have to do your own costing and benefits analysis. Present it to a member of the management team to see if the member will sign off and take it to the management meeting.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Issachar44 View Post
    I believe there must be one or two Turbine devs who would love to give housing some attention if time were allocated to it. But the housing system has been low-priority for so long that I assume either it represents a huge investment of dev resources, or Turbine doesn't think it would generate very much player goodwill and Store purchases. Or both.
    I'd guess your request for estimates won't be answered as it is quite detailed and related to their internal processes. They probably have a long list of game features sorted by priorities etc, and perhaps with rough implementation effort estimates, but I doubt they'd be sharing that. Most of the lower priorities probably never make it but are kept on as "maybe someday" things. And bear in mind that the effort to implement a feature (the software changes needed) is a smallish part of the effort needed to deploy it (design, QA, load testing, maybe marketing, etc).

That said, I'd not be surprised to see some housing stuff at some point. I'm not personally very interested in houses (lifer, but never bothered buying one), but it seems to me there are lots of potential store tie-ins to housing customizations. I expect Turbine has stats on the % of folks who have houses and pay upkeep, the number of hooks people use, etc, and could gauge the potential store market and prioritize the stuff accordingly. Me, I'd rather see content than anything, but I realize many love their houses...

You're right, Yula, and since I also work for a software company I ought to have taken a few more minutes to consider the business realities before posting.

Likely, we won't hear any information about housing until some time after a decision about it has actually been made.

My purpose in asking the question was to calibrate expectations. If a housing update of any kind would be an enormous undertaking, I'd assume that it will probably never come, and stop keeping my hopes up.