We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: upkeep?

upkeep?

I don't know what hosing upkeep is exactly. Could someone explain it to me?

Re: upkeep?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverleaf_Breeze View Post
    I don't know what hosing upkeep is exactly. Could someone explain it to me?
    More or less Rent.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001a6e4f/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

You didn't buy the house-- you bought the ability to keep paying for the house. Nice to have the extra storage, but since that costs extra, too, well, just keep questing and earning those coppers.
    [COLOR="#6666ff"][FONT=Century Gothic]To many people, free will is a license to rebel not against what is unjust or hard in life but against what is best for them and true.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Upkeep is your endless morgage, utility and other such payments all in one. For no purpose other than to take your money since we get absolutely nothing for it.

I would like it more if this in game "bill" was monthly, or bi-weekly even. I find it rather stupid to treat my "house" like some two bit roach motel down on the sketchy end of town.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000061404/signature.png]Zeedagil[/charsig]

Those filthy hobbit landlords are even worse than Tom Nook... they just keep charging and charging. You'd think 50 gold would be able to buy a house you actually own and not just rent, but noooo...

What is the upkeep for a deluxe house? Is it in weeks or months? Does the upkeep vary depending on what type of racial housing it is?

Maintenance on a Deluxe house is around the 150 Silver mark each week. It varies a little based on the purchase price of the house.

There's no difference between the different racial zones in terms of maintenance costs.
    Confused about the F2P/Premium/VIP account types? [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?377885-What-happens-if...-answers-about-the-account-types]This post may help.[/URL]

Sorry to disillusion some of you, but in the real world, even if you own a house outright, you still have to pay for upkeep. Taxes; repairs; utilities; cleaning; yard work; painting (inside and out); replacement of roofs, fences, sidings; insurance; etc. And if you DON'T keep up your property, you'll soon hear from your neighbors and local government about creating an eyesore or public hazard.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001a1d67/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Realmling View Post
    Upkeep is your endless morgage, utility and other such payments all in one. For no purpose other than to take your money since we get absolutely nothing for it.

I would like it more if this in game "bill" was monthly, or bi-weekly even. I find it rather stupid to treat my "house" like some two bit roach motel down on the sketchy end of town.
    Except we do get something for it: a 15% Discount a the local vendor.
    If you are into crafting ( cooking especially) you can quite easy get your moneys worth.
    Many of the ingredients needed for crafting consumables cost 8+ silver.
    Just buying 125 of those in a week will break even ( on a deluxe house)

And you can pay your house 6 weeks in advance.
    They could make it bi-weekly and double the cost. But now you have more flexibility.
    I have trouble seeing how that can be a bad thing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000053593/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

My mortgage payment is once a month. My water/sewer is once a month. My electric is once a month. My cable modem is once a month. See a pattern here? Do I need to continue?

My property taxes are due once a year - when they come through and reassess my house to be more than it's worth. I love that time of year. It's so wonderful and exciting!

And you only have to worry about city inspectors if you live within city limits....just sayin. There are times I would love to move out where they can't get to us as I've seen worse looking properties than our own (we're remodeling, the yard gets a little messy at times between dump runs) in our neighborhood that have always looked bad here in town that never get any cleaner as the years go by. And yet, I'm pretty sure they don't get fined like the little letters say they will since they still look bad - but that's a whole nother unrelated rant.

Yeah, I can deposit upkeep a few weeks in advance, big whoop. I'm saying that if they're going to treat a pile of pixels with poorly thought out item placement hooks as a "real" house and charge me upkeep fees, why can't I also have the option of doing a payment once a month to cover it all? These weekly payments aren't for a house, they're for some roach motel with limited options.

And the discount at the local vendor does me no good at all since I would have to purchase everything and travel elsewhere to do my cooking or jewelry craft as there are no superior anythings around the elf neighborhood. So my discount is eaten up by travel rations or horse rental fees -- making it less worth my while because I liked the elf houses the best of all three.
    Last edited by Hadoril; Dec 21 2011 at 10:48 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000061404/signature.png]Zeedagil[/charsig]

My mortgage payment is once a month. My water/sewer is once a month. My electric is once a month. My cable modem is once a month. See a pattern here? Do I need to continue?
    And how many hours a month do you work to pay for all those?
    Gametime does not equal real life time.

Pay upkeep once a month. Sure spend 5 hours in game crafting that shiny ring.
    Do I need to continue.

Yeah, I can deposit upkeep a few weeks in advance, big whoop. I'm saying that if they're going to treat a pile of pixels with poorly thought out item placement hooks as a "real" house and charge me upkeep fees, why can't I also have the option of doing a payment once a month to cover it all? These weekly payments aren't for a house, they're for some roach motel with limited options.
    So you want to click once a month, paying 600 silver, instead of clicking 4 times and paying 150 silver each time?
    Again, I fail to see the mayor difference.
    Many of my real life co-workers get paid by the week, and would love to pay 1/4th of their monthly fees each week.
    Flexibility is never a bad thing IMHO.

And the discount at the local vendor does me no good at all since I would have to purchase everything and travel elsewhere to do my cooking or jewelry craft as there are no superior anythings around the elf neighborhood. So my discount is eaten up by travel rations or horse rental fees -- making it less worth my while because I liked the elf houses the best of all three.
    Or you can stall an alt in your house to buy the mats and put them in shared storage.
    No one is forcing you to use rental horses, and travel rations are dirt cheap.
    And you admit part of the problem is you liked the elf house best, which is at a bad location.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000053593/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Flexibility - you just said it right up there.

Why is it so wrong that I would like a button to press once a month for payment? I never said what I wanted was right and everything else wrong - I just want that option. Or how about an upkeep account I can deposit money in that would pull out said funds automatically so I would have to deal with it even less - that would be even better actually. Auto-bill pay would be great. If they're going to give the system an element of reality with upkeep by real life time, why stop at just the one thing?

I don't really care about the vendor discount. It means absolutely nothing to me and isn't the reason I went for a house in the first place. I went for a house because it was something I could fiddle with when I wasn't in the mood for killing things, or pvp or annoying repeatable rep quests.

Except there isn't much you can do with the limited hook system and a lot of wasted interior space. So it's a disappointment I keep paying for because it's something I want to be able to enjoy and I hope that someday housing will get a little love. Even if I never get my monthly pay option or an auto-bill pay housing bank account.

It is Turbine selling you something, then charging you rent for it.
    The Lonely Mountain Band
    Pouncival-Rank 15 aroo-Leader of the Pouncing Pwny
    We Pounce Because We Care

One aspect that was not touched, was that in addition to the 15% savings from the vendor for crafting items, but you also save 15% on repair bills. This is a huge advantage for tanks, due to all of the wear and tear put on our gear. Honestly, I port to my house on a weekly to bi-monthly basis just for that specific reason. While I'm there I pick up 100 stacks of crafting items. And since I have access to my bank and shared storage I place those in the slots for my crafting alts. Though, it would be nice if they implemented the crafting facilities into the Housing areas. This would be even more efficient both in saving Traveling rations, as well as time (the most important consumable).
    May your journeys bring you wisdom and wealth.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d010000019502/signature.png]Druteth[/charsig]