We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Angry Crafting recipes!?

Hi, I just opened 50 (that's rigth FIFTY) jorneyman scholar scoll cases. Do you wan't to know what I found inside?

[Master Journeyman Tailor's Journal Recipe] 9
    [Master Journeyman Jeweller's Journal Recipe] 12
    [Master Journeyman Metalworker Journal Recipe] 8
    [Master Journeyman Weaponsmith Journal Recipe] 14
    [Master Journeyman Woodworker Journal Recipe] 7

And before that, I opened a lot of scroll cases, I got something like 20 recipes of theese type in bank.
    So, since useful recipes are not dropping from scoll cases, and are not sold by NPC, how to get them?

EDIT: checked: I got exactly 87 recipes of theese 5 types in bank, and I never saw anything else dropping from journeyman scholar scroll cases.
    Last edited by Vellrad; Dec 17 2011 at 01:13 PM.

Re: Crafting recipes!?

Little confused on the issue here. The scrolls should say what kind of recipes they hold before you open them. Shouldn't have to open anything else other than the ones for your craft. Or are you saying that the wrong recipes are dropping from ones that claim be scholar recipes?

Probably good to clarify the issue. Though it don't look much like a new player 'question'...

For scholar, you can buy every recipe you need on the journeyman level besides the journal recipes. That is most likely why you haven't found any.

If you're still having the issue for Tier 3 crafting, report it as a bug. Otherwise it should be WAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Odailin View Post
    Little confused on the issue here. The scrolls should say what kind of recipes they hold before you open them. Shouldn't have to open anything else other than the ones for your craft. Or are you saying that the wrong recipes are dropping from ones that claim be scholar recipes?

Probably good to clarify the issue. Though it don't look much like a new player 'question'...
    He's saying that out of all of the possible recipes for Scholar, he's only gotten a few of them, and multiple copies of those few.

Quote Originally Posted by Odailin View Post

The issue is, I had over 50 [Journeyman Scholar Scroll Case].
    Description:
    "On openinng, the scroll case will reveal a rare Journeyman Scholar recipe."

The only recipes dropping from it, are those 5 listed.
    Never saw anything different.
    Had mine traded for skimrish tokens, if thats the case, and only couple looted from mob/quest.

And I consider this a new player thing, as I'm playing less than week.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    For scholar, you can buy every recipe you need on the journeyman level besides the journal recipes. That is most likely why you haven't found any.
    Buy? From who?
    NPC?
    He got only couple (no potions however).
    AH?
    Never seen any, bad luck maybe.
    Last edited by Vellrad; Dec 17 2011 at 01:38 PM.

What recipes are you looking for?

The journeyman scholar scroll cases only contain the tier 2 scholar one shot recipes. There are five of them.

The unlimited use recipes are not found in these scroll cases. You have to buy them from the correct vendors. Or kill mobs level 10-20 hoping for them to drop. Open landscape chests in the correct area. Get them from another player. Or buy them from the Lotro Store with Turbine Points.

You will find this situation through out the game. There are two groups of recipes. One shots and unlimited use. You only get one shots from a one shot source. You only get unlimited use recipes from a unlimited source. It is possible to get two recipes at once on kill because the game makes two rolls - one for unlimited and one for one shots.

Tier 7 uses a simple mechanism. The vast majority of single use recipes are available in unlimited quantities at NPCs. The unlimited use recipes come in scrolls cases. There are two kinds of cases for each craft. They stack. So cool. Some one shot recipes are raid recipes. They drop in group content. Something to look forward to - instance recipes - one shots or unlimited use like the Turtle Shell bracelet recipe.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Dec 17 2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    The issue is, I had over 50 [Journeyman Scholar Scroll Case].
    Description:
    "On openinng, the scroll case will reveal a rare Journeyman Scholar recipe."

The only recipes dropping from it, are those 5 listed.
    Never saw anything different.
    Had mine traded for skimrish tokens, if thats the case, and only couple looted from mob/quest.

And I consider this a new player thing, as I'm playing less than week.

Buy? From who?
    NPC?
    He got only couple (no potions however).
    AH?
    Never seen any, bad luck maybe.
    Ah, if it says rare then it will only drop the Single Use recipes. Since there are very few Single Use recipes for Scholar... there you have it. You may want to /bug it anyway though just in case, I had forgotten about the potion recipes. The Novice Scholar should have everything else though, like fire oils and class consumables.

Now, the important question is how did you obtain these scrolls? If they were a random mob drop, they should have the normal unlimited use recipes. If you obtained them from a bounty quest then they will only contain the single use recipes, which for Scholar is only the journals.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    What recipes are you looking for?

The journeyman scholar scroll cases only contain the tier 2 scholar one shot recipes. There are five of them.

The unlimited use recipes are not found in these scroll cases. You have to buy them from the correct vendors. Or kill mobs level 10-20 hoping for them to drop. Open landscape chests in the correct area. Get them from another player. Or buy them from the Lotro Store with Turbine Points.

You will find this situation through out the game. There are two groups of recipes. One shots and unlimited use. You only get one shots from a one shot source. You only get unlimited use recipes from a unlimited source. It is possible to get two recipes at once on kill because the game makes two rolls - one for unlimited and one for one shots.
    Just a note Yula: All recipes now drop in Scroll Cases, at all tiers. No more finding a specific recipe, they modified it in Update 5 to act like the Westfold ones act.
    Last edited by TinDragon; Dec 17 2011 at 01:44 PM.

Oh, thanks for info then.
    I'm afraid I will have to forget about drinking potions then :/

Oh, thanks for info then.
    I'm afraid I will have to forget about drinking potions then :/
    I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway. Unless you're looking to make the wound/disease/poison/fear pots, you'll be fine. I end up vendoring most of my morale/power pots because I find and win significantly more than I can use before I start finding and winning those of the next tier.

(And just a note, bounty quests will always drop the single use recipes, so if you're aiming for normal recipes like pots don't spam the scholar bounty reward.)

Just a note Yula: All recipes now drop in Scroll Cases, at all tiers. No more finding a specific recipe, they modified it in Update 5 to act like the Westfold ones act.
    I've been unlucky then. I have not found a tier 1-6 recipe since the update. I did spend some time in Moria working on deeds and earning item XP.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway. Unless you're looking to make the wound/disease/poison/fear pots, you'll be fine. I end up vendoring most of my morale/power pots because I find and win significantly more than I can use before I start finding and winning those of the next tier.

(And just a note, bounty quests will always drop the single use recipes, so if you're aiming for normal recipes like pots don't spam the scholar bounty reward.)
    Well, actually I was hoping for morale pots, because what kills me most (except of lag) is lack of HP caused by fact that I had to use meaningless potion, instead of bigger I don't posses :/

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I've been unlucky then. I have not found a tier 1-6 recipe since the update. I did spend some time in Moria working on deeds and earning item XP.
    I noticed it at first because I was tearing through Urugarth on my 75 and was getting Master scroll cases instead of recipes. Logged on to my alt afterwards to test and got some Artisan scroll cases in an area I knew I was getting actual recipes in before Monday.

Well, actually I was hoping for morale pots, because what kills me most (except of lag) is lack of HP caused by fact that I had to use meaningless potion, instead of bigger I don't posses :/
    Other than the crit ones (purple backround), any higher potions than what they're giving you will be level-gated anyway. Try asking in Regional chat or OOC if anyone either has the recipe that they can give you, or can make you some more potions. You should be around Bree at your level and there's always tons of people there.

Also as an unrelated note, I see you're an LM. To save yourself on health, there's two things you should be doing... either using the bear to tank so that you're not taking damage besides the inherent morale loss from your skills, or use the raven to get flanks, and then use Wizard's Fire to heal yourself.
    Last edited by TinDragon; Dec 17 2011 at 01:58 PM.

Alright, a related but slight change in subject... So how does a character get the normal scrolls beyond Tier 3?

Sorry, but I completely missed the Update, Patch Note or Dev Diary explaining this change to scrolls. I completely understand the scroll cases. Just wondering where my alts are going to get their higher tier recipes from.
    Last edited by AccessDenied; Dec 17 2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Better phrasing

Also as an unrelated note, I see you're an LM. To save yourself on health, there's two things you should be doing... either using the bear to tank so that you're not taking damage besides the inherent morale loss from your skills, or use the raven to get flanks, and then use Wizard's Fire to heal yourself.
    How can I do this?
    That bear is ###### tank, having half of mine HP, and unable to hold aggro for a second (with both signs of power and honey oaats).

How can I do this?
    That bear is ###### tank, having half of mine HP, and unable to hold aggro for a second (with both signs of power and honey oaats).
    Force taunt will be a 10 second window where the mob can't hit anything other than the bear. For the bear to tank though, you gotta give it time to build its aggro.
    That's why I prefer the flank&tank method, where you just stand there and take the hits, then heal yourself with the Istari Heal. (Wizard's Fire + Flank = Istari Heal)

Quote Originally Posted by AccessDenied View Post
    Alright, a related but slight change in subject... So how does a character get the normal scrolls beyond Tier 3?

Sorry, but I completely missed the Update, Patch Note or Dev Diary explaining this change to scrolls. I completely understand the scroll cases. Just wondering where my alts are going to get their higher tier recipes from.
    Expert (Craftname) will have higher recipes, with the exception of Scholar, which had up to Tier 5 but seems to have disappeared now. I believe it's a bug.

Expert (Craftname) will have higher recipes, with the exception of Scholar, which had up to Tier 5 but seems to have disappeared now. I believe it's a bug.
    Thanks for the insight into the Scholar situation. That was exactly what I was talking about and, after posting my question, I noticed only Scholars seemed to be affected. Unfortunately I always forget where the 'Subscribed Threads' link is located in these forums!

Not just Scholars, actually. A few other Expert profession vendors lost their T6 recipes as well (except Cook, which seems to be unaffected).

Class trainers also sell crafting recipes. I know the hunter trainer has some-- can't recall off the top of my head, though, how many different ones. Of course, only the class can buy from a class trainer, so ask some friends who have different classes what they can get for you from their trainer.

This link might help to see what recipes are available.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Scholar

My memory is fuzzy now, but I remember getting a lot of good t6 scholar recipes from rep vendors in Mirkwood. As I was leveling, I could sometimes get althelas recipes from the Expert Scholar, sometimes drop only (keep checking the AH) and sometimes the guildhall.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>