We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: The new instrument - pibgorn

Quote Originally Posted by DerBarde View Post
    What fix??
    From the bullroarer patch notes for update 6
    Pibgorn is now the same volume as other player instruments and the notes are fixed.

"Sounds" promising
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    From the bullroarer patch notes for update 6
    Patch notes are not completely accurate, the scale is still broken:

C, and ^C, (lowest end of the scale) are one octave too high, plays C and ^C respectively.
    ^g is not ^g, it's g! Plz, can haz ^g? That's right, the high end g sharp is not there!

While a couple of problem notes seem to have been fixed, it is not quite done yet. I was unable to test the range because no one, and I mean NO ONE of the dozens of people on Bullroarer at that moment would give me the time of day... The only way to accurately test it is to fellow with someone and then have that person slowly step away until the sound fades away completely. Then one of the two people can mouse-over the green dot of the other person on the mini-map to see how far apart they are. I can tell you, though, that keyboard-played notes sounded just as loud as ever to me.
    Diamond of Gladden & Landroval.
    Director of Eriador Music Society of Landroval.

Now that Update 6 is live, I can confirm, without a doubt (thanks to Keptwise for helping me test it), that the pibgorn is still broken. The only thing different is that the ABC-played volume is reduced. All other aspects of the scale, range of sound, and volume of keyboard-played notes have not been fixed. And by range, I mean it is still twice that of most other instruments: 30-31 meters.

• C, and ^C, are one octave too high, plays C and ^C respectively.
    • ^A, is also one octave too high, plays ^A.
    • ^d has a strange harmonic warble and is noticably louder than the d
    • all notes above f have the same strange harmonic warble.
    • ^g is not ^g, it's g! Plz, can haz ^g?
    • ^a is 2 octaves too low, plays ^A,
    • overall note duration seems short and inconsistant, some notes are *very* short
    • in duration.

Quote Originally Posted by diamond-tinidril View Post
    [*]overall note duration seems short and inconsistant, some notes are *very* short in duration.
    But I guess that this has to do with quantization enabled in your audio options. When I tested the pibgorn yesterday I too noticed the inconsistant note durations. In my case more by some notes playing far too long considering the duration of my key press. After logging out I remembered that I had switched on quantization recently.
    So I can't say for sure that this is the reason behind it but I'm quite certain.

But I guess that this has to do with quantization enabled in your audio options. When I tested the pibgorn yesterday I too noticed the inconsistant note durations. In my case more by some notes playing far too long considering the duration of my key press. After logging out I remembered that I had switched on quantization recently.
    So I can't say for sure that this is the reason behind it but I'm quite certain.
    Hmmm, it might be... but that would require yet another test... but playing the pighorn with keyboard is an assault on the eardrums!

While the quantize setting may have an impact on keyboard playing, it doesn't effect ABC playing, and this is where we noticed short notes this time. We played a song designed for bagpipe with a drone note. Bagpipe plays it fully, but pibgorn stops short... and we found clarinet also acts this way.... so perhaps the ability to drone was built into bagpipe (and horn) but not traditional melody instruments... *shrug*

quantize setting ... doesn't effect ABC playing, and this is where we noticed short notes this time.
    This is my opinion too but others state that quantization also affects ABC playing. Nevertheless this behaviour (short notes with ABC) seems to be a new bug coming from update 6 ... hurra

We played a song designed for bagpipe with a drone note. Bagpipe plays it fully, but pibgorn stops short... and we found clarinet also acts this way.... so perhaps the ability to drone was built into bagpipe (and horn) but not traditional melody instruments... *shrug*
    Wind instruments (like the others) also stop sounding a note after a certain amount of time except for the bagpipes (??and horn??) and I find this to be perfectly normal. I never explicitly tried the horn on long notes. If I'm not mistaken even the bagpipes only hold the notes from the lowest octave and a few of the middle one.
    At least that's the way it worked before update 6, but I wouldn't be surprised to see horses puke in LotRO.

Bagpipes and horn note durations seem unchanged based on our concert last night. We didn't have a pibgorn piece, though, so can't add anything on that.
    [COLOR=#800000]Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker[/COLOR]

This is my opinion too but others state that quantization also affects ABC playing. Nevertheless this behaviour (short notes with ABC) seems to be a new bug coming from update 6 ... hurra

Wind instruments (like the others) also stop sounding a note after a certain amount of time except for the bagpipes (??and horn??) and I find this to be perfectly normal. I never explicitly tried the horn on long notes. If I'm not mistaken even the bagpipes only hold the notes from the lowest octave and a few of the middle one.
    At least that's the way it worked before update 6, but I wouldn't be surprised to see horses puke in LotRO.

I should clarify that when I said the bagpipe played a drone note fully, I meant that the note in the ABC was set to play the longest duration of a note for bagpipe (before U6) and that the pipes still played it as intended. Similar ABC note durations were also possible with horn, before U6, and I will be hearing a song I made with horn as the drone tomorrow, I'll let you know if it ends up too short. There may be a difference in how long a note will sustain when using "freestyle" (keyboard) play as opposed to ABC play... I'll have to test that, now I'm curious!

Bottom line right now is that the pibgorn is only playable within an approximately 2 octave range from "B," to "f" (everything above "f" has an ear-splitting harmonic) and only usable for a melody line as it overpowers other instruments pretty readily with its, [ahem] "unique" voice, even set to lowest volume.

Edit: oops, I meant usable range starts at "B,"... still only 2 octave range
    Last edited by diamond-tinidril; Mar 14 2012 at 03:23 PM.

I must apologize. I just realized I mixed up my toons. The one I tested the pibgorn with had no quantization enabled.
    But at the moment it makes no sense for me to do any further testing. I experienced massive mini lags throughout this evening. Connection symbol tells me I have zero loss, but chat hung repeatedly, moving NPCs stumbled about, and music passages up to 2 seconds were dropped. The player performing the music experienced the same things.

Why is a Simple Pibgorn (-6% Healing Power Cost) a Level 20 item while the Basic Pibgorn (nothing special) only for Level 65? Shouldn't the Basic one be available to lower level at least for Minstrels?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2