We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Time to help Withy grow

Greetings all Whitywindlers,

While being bored earlier today i decided to wander around the LOTRO forum. What i found is that it seems ours is a small but comfy server that doesnt get the attention it deserves in the big scheme of things. So what i propose is this: lets put together some threads both on Whity section and general forums to popularize what Whity has to offer. To show the other servers that we are evolving in spite of our size. We should make like some threads about some special people from our server, kin leaders, people that inspired us and make our server tick. And maybe even resurrect the server raid progression thread in a less conflictual manner.

We should make some epic (in the manner that Whity can deliver) Ettens battles, take some snapshots and make a story, do more in server events (Legends has always supported events in any way we could so if any kin has an idea were up for it).

So even if we are small we have a great community of wonderful people and others should know about it. And that way maybe we will have more people coming in from other servers (where the community is not that nice).

Landrovas,
    Officer of recruiting for Legends of the Rohirrim kinship
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000003234c/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [COLOR=#006400][SIZE=3]Bla bla bla signature fail bla bla.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Time to help Withy grow

A Very good idea Mr. Landrovas sir .
    I myself love Withywindle server cos of the friendly and cosy enviroment.
    Some days I feel like the whole server is one big kinship and we all help eachother

If you need any help from me,please let me know

!Live long and prosper!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000002876/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Please do refrain from turning this thread into something of a kin war. If you have something to say about how we can make this server better known and help it grow do it. If not make a thread, spill your sorrow there.
    That being said i ask even of you to start doing some good publicity to this server (instead of teh usual Whity is fool of noobs) else your game quality will be affected alongside ours (Whity is your home as long as you dont transfer). Yes maybe we are noobs but many arent and there is no need to let all who read our forum threads think we are savages that do nothing but troll.....cuz frankly ive played on other servers and we are one of the most civilized server community where even the trolls behave better.
    Last edited by Landrovas; Dec 02 2011 at 04:12 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000003234c/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

That being said i would like to invite the kin leaders (or representatives) to evaluate what their respective kins may be able to do in terms of server wide events. As an example, one kin may be very large but with limited possibilities to help organise an event but maybe with great possibilities to contribute with prizes for a competition. Whereas other kins may be more casual and role-playish and might take on a role in managing invitations or such. I see no reason why we couldnt make regular events (like races, sparring tournaments, lotteries, funky *hunter pack* raids) if we share the loads.
    We know we can do large events (weve had a wedding, had a race) but as weve seen there are flaws that can be overcome with colaboration. Im sure that if u start entering events in the official LOTRO calendar we will see an influx of new people coming to our nice server .

I like the initiative, I do, but I think in a lot of respects the ship has sailed, so to speak. While there are a few who would check the server sub forums regularly, I think it would be especially hard to actually try and get people to look at our events and such when there is very little we can do that could be inherently unique. Events like races and weddings are somewhat common on other servers. I think that perhaps posting something on the general forum could be helpful, but no doubt Turbine would just end up moving it to the Withy subforum anyway. I think we should perhaps outline events that can be more unique to our server, although no doubt this would be a fairly challenging task. Let alone actually organizing it to the point that it becomes truly memorable.

I think that, at the end of it, Turbine has to be the one to boost our server's population. Make it a recommended server, direct new players to it and etc. In terms of transfers, I very much doubt that we'd get many of those, as there is very little that we, as a server, can provide that other servers cannot. Even in terms of being a small, community based server, there are others like Gilrain for example that can provide a similar experience.

With all that negativity out of the way, however, I do want to see the server grow and advance. So, you have me and my kin's backing for any initiative you want to take. Whether it can be fruitful or not, I suppose, is a question that can only be answered in time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000000088e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

(65 RNK) Herunar
    (65 CMP) Meluimir

I've played on Whity for the first 6 months or so, before transferring my character to Snowbourn. I did like everything about Whity, except for a few things not worth mentioning here

As far as I like your idea, I do think BerenCamlostEU is right. The ship has sailed. I've heard a lot about Whity from other people, and a lot of people seem to have moved to Snowbourn aswell, from Whity. I myself always wanted to come back someday to Whity, but right now I don't care too much about this game. Too much whining on the forums about stuff people don't like, and too much of the same going on in global. Skirmish Raids. Haven't people got their stuff by now? :P

On the other hand, any instance I would like to play and organise, I can get people for. Even GS, SG, Forges, Fil Gashan, STH, NCF, Watcher, Turtle, BG, DN, anything. And they do fill up pretty quickly. If and when I ask for experienced players, it's what I'll get, and I don't have to explain any single thing, people just know what to do, which is very different from Whity, where there would always be one or two who had no clue what to do, but thought they were the best players of the server. I really don't need to name any names here now, do I?

Anyway, a lot of people never come to these forums, and the ones that do, refrain from posting here it seems. I always keep checking the Whity forums also, because it's still my home. Snowbourn is just some rebound thing, untill I feel comfortable enough to return to Whity, or when Guild Wars 2 will be coming out which me and Veni will be playing together. If that game is actually better than LOTRO, it's time to delete LOTRO. But untill then, I keep playing.

If for some reason, GW2 is released within the next few months, and it does turn out to be a ####ty game compared to LOTRO, I might return to Whity and help with anything I can do to revive the server. But it will be hard, very hard, because there aren't many people playing these days, because of a lot of other games being released and because people are waiting on Update 5 and so on. Still, I'd like to give it a shot, since this game does mean a lot to me, in many aspects, and I wouldn't want to see Whity die like this.
    Whitywindle - Hardist (Champion) & Mepida (Minstrel)

Well yes organising stuff may be hard but lets face it its kinda fun . I mean we spend all our ingame time doing the sameeeee thing and basically the only reason why its remotely fun its the fact we do the same things but with people we like. So even if making events will not double the population of the server (O.o) it will be fun to make something else for a change .
    As far as unique events i dunno what we could do.....a Greenpeace protest maybe :P those always get attention :P. we should all go at the base of Orthanac and protest against the cutting of the forests :P. Or start a LOTRO school where we teach new players how to play instances and things about their classes. Or since Christmas is coming we should put our nice music bands to good use and host some Carol festivals in various locations (u dont honestly wanna spend christmas time only doing skirm raids :P).
    Many things can be done if we break from the grinding routine Turbine has imposed on us (and trust me im a F2P that has most of the QP and expansions, i know a thing or two about grinding :P ).
    Next week i will be putting together a test event sketch and well see what we can do (now i have an exam so not much time...)

I love special events and I know I am not the only one(hinting to Rosslin hehe).
    Even just walking in underwear to Prancing Pony and drink beer makes my day extra special.
    When I get bored ingame I go fishing,explore off map places or stand some random place and play my lute, even getting hidden titles can be fun.
    And dont forget the best raid in the game: Moria beerkeg instance :_)
    I would be thrilled to get more people involved in craziness on Withywindle.
    And as you typed very nicely over this post, even if we dont get more people to Withywindle, we will atleast make Withywindle even more fun

How about a Withywindle lottery, would that be possible?

Live long and prosper!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000002876/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Yes our server needs more (active) players.
    It is an issue that hoovered my mind and the minds of some of my mates for a while now.
    Increasing population can only be achieved:
    1. if new game players pick this server or/and
    2. other severs current players open or transfer characters to this server.

In the first option i do not believe there is much we can do. It is more a question of Turbine suggesting smaller servers to new player's accounts, but since there are some more servers on this situation I am not sure it will be very effective.

On the second option thats where we might have a chance to influentiate it, as suggested by Landrovas by arranjing events or happenings with an impact that can cross the bounders of Withy.
    A couple of hughe Etten wars may trigger it for PvMP players.
    Realstate advertising (yes in some servers homesteads are too crowded) with some social events may help.

From my side i will do my best to support initiatives that are brought up to improve Withy's reputation.

Cheers
    [CENTER] [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000039c0f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [COLOR=#ff0000][B]...the untaught fervour champion...[/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Being a small server has advantages and disadvantages. We get to know most individuals and kin by name but we also get to know all the dirty laundry too.

Individual players can make an effort to improve the server but it should also be the responsibility of all kins to foster a environment where smaller kins can call on each other to supplement fellowships and raids.

Get the word out that Withywindle is a friendly and helpful server and people will come. Also make it known that we're not exclusively English either.

I'm not going to comment on the Ettenmoors at present, I'll leave that up to Phakdush, Z, Landrovas and Fraelin but will say that should we throw away ego, exploits and bad attitudes in the interest of good pvp and the server as a whole then we'll see more players taking part as well as transferring over.

Being friendly and helpful in general doesn't mean you're a wimp, it means you look further than the tip of your own epeen and epeen doesn't make a server good.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000005f6d5/01006/signature.png]Gwaithollien[/charsig]

Ninith WDN 75 | Gwaithollien CHM 75 | Cebra MIN 75 | Lylyth RK 68

The moors is in dire need of freeps, hate to say it!

This server seems to have a lot of ftp/prem players that would love to fight in the moors, would be good more action. A lot more consistent action at least, theres normally a creep or two running around, would be nice to see a freep or two more often

Maybe Turbine should open the moors as a quest pack, after all its how old content now? It would push up the population on both sides of the fence, and then with the money made from sale of brands and pots, as well as creep skills, they might make a new PvP map or even do something more interesting.

As for helping the server grow, I'm doing my part creepside, providing a orc to kill for all those heroes.
    "There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
    Phakdush Baka,
    Formerly of The Gramsfoot Canaries, Withywindle.
    Now Cojones De Mitril, Evernight.

hi!Love you all!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000001a5a/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I don't know if this would help but wasn't it mentioned that some servers might get merged or am I just dreaming?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c01000022735a/signature.png]Bubbs[/charsig]

You´re dreaming, but we wouldnt expect any different from you :P

Quote Originally Posted by Phakdush View Post
    The moors is in dire need of freeps, hate to say it!

This server seems to have a lot of ftp/prem players that would love to fight in the moors, would be good more action. A lot more consistent action at least, theres normally a creep or two running around, would be nice to see a freep or two more often

Maybe Turbine should open the moors as a quest pack, after all its how old content now? It would push up the population on both sides of the fence, and then with the money made from sale of brands and pots, as well as creep skills, they might make a new PvP map or even do something more interesting.

As for helping the server grow, I'm doing my part creepside, providing a orc to kill for all those heroes.
    I agree that getting more people to the moors, or at least people there on a more regular basis would be good. Making it accessible to premium/f2p would instantly lose Turbine my subscription though, as this is really the main reason to be VIP as far as I'm concerned.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000046241/signature.png]Blaen[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by prestigep3c View Post
    I agree that getting more people to the moors, or at least people there on a more regular basis would be good. Making it accessible to premium/f2p would instantly lose Turbine my subscription though, as this is really the main reason to be VIP as far as I'm concerned.
    then dont you think like myself its about time they gave us VIPs a new PvMP map, the moors is how old now?
    "There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
    Phakdush Baka,
    Formerly of The Gramsfoot Canaries, Withywindle.
    Now Cojones De Mitril, Evernight.

AW: Re: Time to help Withy grow

Quote Originally Posted by Phakdush View Post
    then dont you think like myself its about time they gave us VIPs a new PvMP map, the moors is how old now?
    We can all just dream about that...

I think we dont need new pvmp zone, more players need to focus their game on actualy pvmp, not pvp and we would be just fine. So many bad stuff on WW makes it bad pvmp, not pvmp itself, but people there....I think pvmp is still great and no need to change vip only, because if someone want to play why wouldnt he pay, u cant ask for everything to be free, earn the money and pay others that created the game so they can earn their money.

Now play, dont QQ creators of game, they are doing absolutely amazing work here.

Quote Originally Posted by zrinko View Post
    Now play, dont QQ creators of game, they are doing absolutely amazing work here.
    Wrong.
    Greetings and goodbye again from Gilrain.

AW: Re: Time to help Withy grow

Quote Originally Posted by zrinko View Post
    I think we dont need new pvmp zone, more players need to focus their game on actualy pvmp, not pvp and we would be just fine. So many bad stuff on WW makes it bad pvmp, not pvmp itself, but people there....I think pvmp is still great and no need to change vip only, because if someone want to play why wouldnt he pay, u cant ask for everything to be free, earn the money and pay others that created the game so they can earn their money.

You are right about 1 thing.. its the ppl that make it better or worse on withy... Me,you,Frae and almost everyone is part of that... And no one can say he is an Angel,even if all always try to look like one...

Almost everyone of the pvmp com would like a new Map for sure,or more focus on this aspect of the game,but simply wont happen....

BUT this is all OT and before the almighty Forum Mod. Monster comes again to clean up we should focus on the topic and discuss about that dont u agree ?
    Last edited by Isdring; Dec 06 2011 at 10:04 AM.

21. Re: Time to help Withy grow

Yes do please discuss PvMP on the designated sub-forum ( i really dont wanna get this thread closed ).
    Now @Cookie : yes a lottery is actually the easiest to do first, since it doesnt involve actually gathering the chars in one place and do something. My idea is: with a small silver fee one can send a mail to a lottery moderator (will be some from every kin or something) who in turn sends it to the lottery manager who writes them down on his PC. Together with his silver he sends one/two/more numbers from 0-100. On lottery day the manager will do a public ./roll on Globallff and the ones that have the closest numbers win (just like a raid roll).
    Now the prizes can be either donated by kins (say bigger ones like relics or symbols or weapons) and/or bought with the entry fee money. And ofc we would do a lottery for every level segment (no use giving a lvl 65 second age to a lvl 10 char :P).
    We could do one like for Christmas and do a little party with carols (if Phingolphin would be as kind to bring his nice Troubadour group along - or any other band i dont know of). And as a little bonus we could make a huge Santa's bag with crafted items for many levels and classes (if many kins accept the invitation we will have many many) and just randomly intercept people on teh server and make them a gift . And we could call teh whole jig Santa Gandalf comes to Middle-earth (or something, suggest names) and register it on the Turbine calendar (maybe we get noticed in Free People's Press).
    So please do add ideas and say what do you think
    Basically it is like a normal lottery only difference is that we gather our own prizes on server.

I fully agree to that Withywindle needs to become a bit more active, I finally made it now to 75 and see less people around to even try to find people for a instance for example. That i'm in a small kin might be the problem to but a few good friends in there and still waiting on the return of a big group.

For a christmas party i will be in, won't be much away with chrismas so would be good to meet up with people from the server.

Santa Gandalf comes to Middle-Earth sounds good Landrovas

Mayby there can also be done Find the Santa Gandalf? Just a selected area where whoever plays santa is gonna hide (Think Bree town would suit well) and the first to find him gets a prize.

If you gonna do that santa bag, let me know i will be able to provide logs and/or planks, can get enough of that farming deeds.

Greets
    Snakerider

Well there is enough untapped potential on the server right now. Many people running kinless (not talking about those that are for a reason), and even more dont know where other people actually ARE. Many people dont know that custom channels exist. So I´d just suggest that people just post something like the following in the lower zones;

"Do you wonder where people meet here? Come join the server-wide global channel and take part in finding groups and all the gossip. Type "/Joinchannel globallff" ; to write there, type " /1 <yourtext> ". Don´t be a stranger!"

Activity starts with strengthening the community. So please spare me the "But Global is eevul!" talk.
    Last edited by Vandervahn; Dec 11 2011 at 06:15 PM.

Nah, if you say gossip it will only make people think you are one of girls from gossip girls, hahahahah. Nobody wants that, right.
    Now since instance finder is on, no need for global at all, which is very nice for majority of people. How many times have u seen lower lvl people ask for runs for hours on global, nobody answer them, because it's just not gonna happen, it's same on all servers like that. And i know 7-10 people that even goes in moors that actualy are on global and never said a word on that channel because as they said, it's like a private channel for few people that spend their life online, each time u tipy leavechannel then joinchannel you catch those people online on main or alts, it sounds like people should start working and looking for reletionship and not be stuck in global all day, doing nothing but talking while only 10% of all talk is LFF. And as for lvl70+, they are all in Galtrev and are using LFF in that region, which is best to find runs if u need end game.

I'm largely an unknown face, but that's okay ^_^ I'll add my two pence anyway.

What unique to Withy despite the people?

Perhaps what Withy is named after?

Withywindle
    A river that flows through the Old Forest and joins into the Brandywine River. Old Man Willow grew on the banks of this river.

Maybe we could hold inter-kin events near/around the Withy river? Kinda punt what our server is named after. Get some kind of server "identity" or pride going? Just an idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast