We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    Fellowship brother is IMO our premier legendary at this point, do you really not use it much?

TON is reliable for all purposes. The 2.5 minute cooldown has changed it from panic to more routine, perhaps you never adjusted your opinion of it post ROI though.

As to your transfer to Nimrodel "offer", well, no thanks. I'm clearly not worthy.
    lol, you are plenty worthy. I would like to see this awesome self-healing of your's in action. Seriously, I would.

2.5 minute CD isnt' that impressive for a heal. It's rather long by my standards.

And no, I'm not all that impressed with the Fellowship Brother trait. It's alright, but deffinitely not something I feel I must have equipped all the time. I am glad you like it so much though. Reasonable men can disagree afterall.

I surrender, I see the error of my ways. I'll never trait Fellowship Brother again!
    I never said not to use it. Use it if you like it Just cause I dont' think it's all that doesn't mean you should get rid of it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    l I would like to see this awesome self-healing of your's in action. Seriously, I would.

And no, I'm not all that impressed with the Fellowship Brother trait. It's alright, but deffinitely not something I feel I must have equipped all the time. I am glad you like it so much though Reasonable men can disagree afterall.
    Guess I'm done here, don't feel like I'm learning more. Best of luck.

Guess I'm done here, don't feel like I'm learning more. Best of luck.
    Well I didn't mean to run you off.

It's just we were having a circular debate and the only real way to solve it seemed to just have you show me how a Captain's self-healing negates the need to have any Off-Tanks or CC, as neither one of us was doing a good job of convincing the other they were right. I didn't make the comment out of any hostility, but out of pure curiosity I promise ^^

Best of luck to you also.

Well I didn't mean to run you off.

It's just we were having a circular debate and the only real way to solve it seemed to just have you show me how a Captain's self-healing negates the need to have any Off-Tanks or CC, as neither one of us was doing a good job of convincing the other they were right. I didn't make the comment out of any hostility, but out of pure curiosity I promise ^^

Best of luck to you also.
    No offense taken. Had a look at your Capt out of curiosity, clearly you build very differently from me. One thing to keep in mind in self healing is the role of mitigations (less damage taken == more effective power from heals). Anyway, enjoy...
    Last edited by DelgonTheWise; Dec 01 2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typos

neither one of us was doing a good job of convincing the other they were right.
    yeah... that usually doesn't work very well on the internet :P
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b36d8/signature.png]Slartibart[/charsig]
    "O Captain! My Captain!"[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by flyingcircus View Post
    and that is where you're wrong
    a captain can do just fine tackling challenging content when using a standard instead
    It depends on the content.

There are things a Captain using a Herald or Archer can do that a captain using a banner could not.

Banners are good for group situations where you want to increase your own character's stats while at the same time maintaining the group buff on everyone. But anytime you are outnumbered against mutliple strong opponents you will be better served by using your herald, as he/she can CC one of the monsters and take a huge amount of heat off of you. If you were using a banner you would most likely die.

If you would like me to prove this to you come on over to Nimrodel and I will show you by killing a group of monsters with my herald that you will not be able to with your banner.

What is this why are we arguing about fellowship brother and self heal?. I'm asking for a war hounds which is whether you like herald or not is a something new for captain. Dont you want something new for captain, you champion got new bubble and minis got a new awesome dps skill.

All i'm asking is for a new type of pet for captain, why are we arguing about wanting it or not. It something new, you like it use it and you dont like dont use it. Also the new fellowship brother is awesome, it not going to leave my trait slot ever again. If you played captain in any significant degree, the correct decision is to get more new feature added to captain.

Like i said right now i'm will settle for a new look for captain herald. it already stale and the captain herald look predates the moria expansion. I dont see LM complaining about getting new limfran pet even thought it not a useful pet. It something new if you a captain just a agree with me.

Never!

Since we have melee and ranged heralds, I'm thinking they should add a debuffer herald next.

Banners are good for group situations where you want to increase your own character's stats while at the same time maintaining the group buff on everyone. But anytime you are outnumbered against mutliple strong opponents you will be better served by using your herald, as he/she can CC one of the monsters and take a huge amount of heat off of you. If you were using a banner you would most likely die.
    with a standard i have 1k additional morale - my herald has more, granted - but i have much better mitigation and b/p/e than my herald has.. not to mention that my healing from revealing mark is also increased by equipping a standard
    all in all survivability will roughly stay the same in any situation

If you would like me to prove this to you come on over to Nimrodel and I will show you by killing a group of monsters with my herald that you will not be able to with your banner.
    what's it with you and asking people to do a server transfer just to prove a point Oo
    (if you pay both ways for me i'll do it :P)
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b36d8/signature.png]Slartibart[/charsig]

with a standard i have 1k additional morale - my herald has more, granted - but i have much better mitigation and b/p/e than my herald has.. not to mention that my healing from revealing mark is also increased by equipping a standard
    all in all survivability will roughly stay the same in any situation

what's it with you and asking people to do a server transfer just to prove a point Oo
    (if you pay both ways for me i'll do it :P)
    Not so. Herald offers you far more surviviality in many situations than ever your banner could. Against a single target you may have a valid argument, but against multiple targets, not a chance.

And I ask people to come over to my server because i'm lazy and get tired of repeating myself. Much easier just to show them instead.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Dec 02 2011 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faernnaoloth View Post
    What is this why are we arguing about fellowship brother and self heal?. I'm asking for a war hounds which is whether you like herald or not is a something new for captain. Dont you want something new for captain, you champion got new bubble and minis got a new awesome dps skill.

All i'm asking is for a new type of pet for captain, why are we arguing about wanting it or not. It something new, you like it use it and you dont like dont use it. Also the new fellowship brother is awesome, it not going to leave my trait slot ever again. If you played captain in any significant degree, the correct decision is to get more new feature added to captain.

Like i said right now i'm will settle for a new look for captain herald. it already stale and the captain herald look predates the moria expansion. I dont see LM complaining about getting new limfran pet even thought it not a useful pet. It something new if you a captain just a agree with me.
    Well I'm not sure if this was aimed at me or not, but since I was one of the ones arguing about the Fellowship Brother trait I'm going to assume it was.

So let me defend myself.

First, I did agree with you. If you go back and reread my very first post I said I would love to see some new looks and types added to the herald. I was never arguing against this.

Yes, I do want something new - and would love to get a new and stronger type of Herald. A War Hound would be awesome as well, as would an upgrade on the oath keeper for the Lead the Charge Captains, which I feel are long over-due.

My post began by defending the value of heralds, as I think many Captains underestimate their usefulness and that's where the argument began, it had nothing to do with me not wanting new goodies for my pet.

And the Fellowship Brother trait may be awesome for you, but for me it just didn't offer me much. Perhaps if the trait took into account my legacies for the group-wide buff I may would use it, but the gimped inspire it gave out was weak and just caused unnessasary aggro issues for me with very little benefit. The Strength of Will increase it gave everyone was rather pathetic. I just prefer traiting Shield of Dunedain, which is far more effective at keeping my tank alive (which is my highest priority) than the Fellowship trait was, and I just can't part with my In Defense of Middle Earth legendary. I love it too much. +75 to all stats? Yes please ^^

I'm glad it works well for you, but for me - just didn't help me accomplish what I'm aiming to accomplish with my Captain.

And I ask people to come over to my server because i'm lazy and get tired of repeating myself. Much easier just to show them instead.
    thanks but you don't have to show me .. you see i have a captain myself and was able to try it
    so i know that this isn't the case

So let me defend myself.
    please stop.
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by SGWB View Post
    You got me. I had forgotten about Huan. But as a cheap cop-out, I must mention that Turbine doesn't have rights to the Silmarillion..... so
    Well Played Sir!
    "Argle-bargle morble whoosh?"

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000099a14/01003/signature.png]Yvain[/charsig]

thanks but you don't have to show me .. you see i have a captain myself and was able to try it
    so i know that this isn't the case
    Trust me it is the case.

A Captain using his herald will be able to take groups of monsters a Captain using a banner will not be able to. Strategic use of CC can make a world of difference in some situations.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Dec 03 2011 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    please stop.
    Sapien, this is a forum where people are free to express their views and opinions. If you don't like mine, simply put me on your ignore list or simply don't read my posts, because you aren't my boss and i'm deffinitly not going to stop just because you ask me to

Trust me it is the case.
    no i won't trust you Oo
    how often do i have to tell you: i did try it myself and found it to make hardly any difference
    now let it go

Trust me it is the case.
    Why should we? Based on your postings, you appear to me at this point to have a very narrow perspective on Captaining, locked into a HOH+Shield Brother == One True Way To Captain. Maybe that impression isn't correct, but it is how you come across. Trust me, there are now there are plenty of viable setups to run with. Not that you have any particular reason to trust me either, mind you, but really, you should. And come to Meneldor and I'll show you how to Captain some -- just kidding, but, um, that is how you come across.

As to content, just curious what content you are referring to. I ran GS solo last night (yes, not a huge challenge at 75, but the pull before Igash with 5 guys isn't totally trivial solo without "real" CC) in LtC. Used my archer, but not for off tanking, just for the DPS and LtC reflection of Blade Brother inspire. Did fine. Rolled through Sword Halls and Stoneheight solo also (Stoneheight is HIGHLY rewarding to solo at this point, 10 tier 4 relics, 200k IXP pills in 25 minutes or solo, Sword Halls is pretty easy but not worth it). Doesn't seem to be any huge normal challenges in game right now, Draigoth T2 CM is not such once you know the drill. OD T2 CM is still quite a bit harder despite being level 65...
    Last edited by DelgonTheWise; Dec 04 2011 at 08:50 AM.

Rolled through Sword Halls and Stoneheight solo also (Stoneheight is HIGHLY rewarding to solo at this point, 10 tier 4 relics, 200k IXP pills in 25 minutes or solo, Sword Halls is pretty easy but not worth it).
    Hmm... may have to give Stoneheight a shot.

Any particular traiting/gearing that you used, or should almost anyone be able to get through it?

Also, did you try StH T1 or T2?

OD T2 CM is still quite a bit harder despite being level 65...
    That means they actually designed it right =)

Here's to hoping OD becomes as beloved as the Rift.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

no i won't trust you Oo
    how often do i have to tell you: i did try it myself and found it to make hardly any difference
    now let it go
    Fine. Then dont' trust me, but you are still wrong - as using my Herald does allow me to take on groups of enemies I otherwise couldn't. It's just a fact. It does. Like I said, my invitation to come over to my server and let me show you first hand is always there if ever you want to see.

But if you want to stick to your incorrect beliefs that is your choice

Now you let it go ^^
    Last edited by Jeremi; Dec 04 2011 at 02:31 PM.

Why should we? Based on your postings, you appear to me at this point to have a very narrow perspective on Captaining, locked into a HOH+Shield Brother == One True Way To Captain. Maybe that impression isn't correct, but it is how you come across. Trust me, there are now there are plenty of viable setups to run with. Not that you have any particular reason to trust me either, mind you, but really, you should. And come to Meneldor and I'll show you how to Captain some -- just kidding, but, um, that is how you come across.

As to content, just curious what content you are referring to. I ran GS solo last night (yes, not a huge challenge at 75, but the pull before Igash with 5 guys isn't totally trivial solo without "real" CC) in LtC. Used my archer, but not for off tanking, just for the DPS and LtC reflection of Blade Brother inspire. Did fine. Rolled through Sword Halls and Stoneheight solo also (Stoneheight is HIGHLY rewarding to solo at this point, 10 tier 4 relics, 200k IXP pills in 25 minutes or solo, Sword Halls is pretty easy but not worth it). Doesn't seem to be any huge normal challenges in game right now, Draigoth T2 CM is not such once you know the drill. OD T2 CM is still quite a bit harder despite being level 65...
    You should trust me because I've tested it and confirmed it, and welcome the chance to show either of you.

I never said playing Captain the way I do as a Hands of Healing Captain was the "one true way to Captain". I never said anything close to that - and having to put words into some else's mouth is the first sign they are losing the debate. Nor did I ever say there weren't other viable ways to play Captain. What I actually did say was Sheild Brother is your best healing tool as a HoH Captain - and that's simply a fact.

And I'll be happy to come to Meneldor and show you what i'm talking about. What is your Captain's name?

And if you want specefics there are many pulls in Tier3 skirmishes for example that would be very difficult without the use of my Herald. Having him there as a form of CC helps a lot, and I woudn't be able to get through some of them without it.

But...as you noted, I am speaking from a HoH Captain's perspective, so if you play as a different style of Captain you should probably just avoid arguing with me because I'd imagine different styles of Captains have their own array of strengths and weaknsess. I speak only as a HoH Captain - and I am very very confident in my stance that as a HoH Captain strategic use of the Herald can and will improve what you are capable of, and I'm happy to prove it to you anytime you wish.

Now if other styles of Captains have different experiences and find no use for their herald, then fine... I'm willing to accept that in the interests of good-will, as I only play as a HoH Captain - so perhaps LtC Captains have less need for extra CC against large pulls. I wouldn't know since I don't play as them - so perhaps this is partly my fault for not expressly limiting the scope of this discussion to HoH onlyr. I try to, but sometimes I forget. I am only human afterall.

BUT just let me say I do go out of my way on posts to stress I am only speaking from a HoH Captain perspective, and that my comments should be ignored if you play another style of Captain (another reason I think you accusing me of pretending my way is the only way of playing was such a unfair accusation). I do this frequently so as to avoid situations like this. If you play a Lead the Charge Captain then simply ignore my comments and advice as they do not pertain to you, and that is most likely why a lot of them such as my Shield Brother comments make no sense to you
    Last edited by Jeremi; Dec 04 2011 at 02:56 PM.

And I'll be happy to come to Meneldor and show you what i'm talking about. What is your Captain's name?
    Offer declined, "sensei".

And if you want specefics there are many pulls in Tier3 skirmishes for example that would be very difficult without the use of my Herald. Having him there as a form of CC helps a lot, and I woudn't be able to get through some of them without it.

But...as you noted, I am speaking from a HoH Captain's perspective, so if you play as a different style of Captain you should probably just avoid arguing with me because I'd imagine different styles of Captains have their own array of strengths and weaknsess. I speak only as a HoH Captain - and I am very very confident in my stance that as a HoH Captain strategic use of the Herald can and will improve what you are capable of, and I'm happy to prove it to you anytime you wish.
    Do you really run lots of T3 skirmishes? Really? Most consider those a waste of time except as artificial challenges, as the payoff for time spent is awful compared to T1. Do you mean group ones (which nobody seems to run?), in which case why HOH since the self healing is "awful" of Captains per you.

You still seem to think there is a HoH Captain. I think there is a "Captain", who should trait as needed for each instance. For me, that defaults to LtC with Blade brother for current content, such as Draigoth, T1 skirms (raid to normal), school/lib (regardless of my role), 6 mans like Thadur when not main healing 6 mans, etc. It shifts to LoM if I'm tanking (which I've only done a few times post ROI. And it shifts to HoH if I'm main healing a 6 man. In the coming content while exploring it I'll probably chose HoH.

Offer declined, "sensei".

Do you really run lots of T3 skirmishes? Really? Most consider those a waste of time except as artificial challenges, as the payoff for time spent is awful compared to T1. Do you mean group ones (which nobody seems to run?), in which case why HOH since the self healing is "awful" of Captains per you.

You still seem to think there is a HoH Captain. I think there is a "Captain", who should trait as needed for each instance. For me, that defaults to LtC with Blade brother for current content, such as Draigoth, T1 skirms (raid to normal), school/lib (regardless of my role), 6 mans like Thadur when not main healing 6 mans, etc. It shifts to LoM if I'm tanking (which I've only done a few times post ROI. And it shifts to HoH if I'm main healing a 6 man. In the coming content while exploring it I'll probably chose HoH.
    Yep, I only run tier 3 skirmishes. Lots of my friends do as well, so better reword that "noone" comment, as it's innaccurate. Once you master them they aren't that difficult and you get more marks. Plus, I enjoy the challenge - and it's great training.

And if you aren't willing to let me prove it to you on your server or take my word for it, well then I guess this argument is dead. So might as well end it. We don't agree.

And nope, I again disagree with you. I don't believe there is just 1 captain, and believe the traits, gear, and legacies you choose create a very distinct and focused character who will excel in certain situations other captains will not.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Dec 04 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Yep, I only run tier 3 skirmishes. Lots of my friends do as well, so better reword that "noone" comment, as it's innaccurate. Once you master them they aren't that difficult and you get more marks. Plus, I enjoy the challenge - and it's great training.
    I run skirmishes for SM/hour largely (which is true for most I'm aware of outside of you), not the excitement, as I think they are sort of boring. But just went and ran my usuals (rift, dannenglor) at T3 to see what I've been missing. Used my herbalist to be conservative and a banner, no herald. Went swimmingly traited LtC and using Blade Bro (for reflection mostly). No deaths, no cooldowns needed, but certainly rather harder than T1. Not as hard as soloing GS, IMHO. Don't plan on doing it regularly as the 25% extras SMs + a few in the chest don't make it worthwhile as the mobs with twice the hitpoints take over twice the time to kill. Not sure what it is great training for, as the things I consider hard, like OD T2, would seem to require different skillsets.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast