We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 139
  1. #1

    Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Currently happy with what cappy is at now, but i willing to see new pet for captain. I mean how epics is it to have one of big dog dunlending have as your pet. It not that hard to implement and not as gamebreaking. Suggestion for power maybe a shout that could activate our defeat respond.

    I like it also so you can make it usefull for group enviroment so captain dont just have banner as the only options in raiding and grouping.

  2. #2

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Dude, I want a Mabari!
    Commander Cariance - Mostly Dead - Riddermark
    Sentry Wariance - ISMELLMANFLESH - Riddermark

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,688

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Quote Originally Posted by faernnaoloth View Post
    Currently happy with what cappy is at now, but i willing to see new pet for captain. I mean how epics is it to have one of big dog dunlending have as your pet. It not that hard to implement and not as gamebreaking. Suggestion for power maybe a shout that could activate our defeat respond.

    I like it also so you can make it usefull for group enviroment so captain dont just have banner as the only options in raiding and grouping.
    the reason why a herald isn't really viable in group play is because he can die.. and cannot be resummoned during combat

    don't see how a huge dog changes that :P

    lore masters are our pet keepers tho.. a captain isn't a dogsitter
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b36d8/signature.png]Slartibart[/charsig]
    "O Captain! My Captain!"[/CENTER]

  4. #4

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    So make it so that captain can revive their pet in battle. Plus war dog is really suitable for the captain class.

  5. #5

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    As much as I like dogs (see icon)...naahhh.
    [CENTER]

    [/CENTER]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    872

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    a trained war-hound sounds like a creative idea... reminds me of the mabari in dragon age... this could be the melee opposite of the archer we have, although I have other ideas at hand:

    I'm thinking that we should be able to alter our herald roles, depending on the appropriate color trait-line legendaries... 5 yellows turn him into a shield-wielding tank (protector), 5 blues turn him into non-combat healer (herbalist), and 5 reds turn him into an AOE damager (warrior), all with the herald auras applicable to them... plus, our toggle 'brother' skills would fit each of those pet types appropriately... the current 5-red trait bonus that turnes our pet to signature level should have its own legendary trait, like the loremaster's 'noble savage'... a +5% melee damage modifier could take the place of the 'armaments of the oathbound', while turning the oathbreaker skin into a consumable pet cosmetic with prerequisite of getting kindred with the iron garrison guards...

    these are all radical thoughts for the future I know... but the point is, I am all for adding more pet types to our class... and I happen to like the war-dog idea, as a sort of companion, literal 'man's best friend'... of course, this is all pending what lore experts have to say on the idea...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140100000b9311/signature.png]Mavirthael[/charsig]

    6 Chestnut Street, Branway, Breeland, Crickhollow

  7. #7

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    ...really?

    We have two classes in the game that have "pets". Lore-Masters have actual pets (blah blah "animal companions" blah blah), so this could make sense for them. Look at LM pets: bird, bear, cat, cat, spirit, bird, swamp... thingy. Adding a dog wouldn't be incongruous.

    Captains, however, have human "pets", which are actually heralds. Captains have heralds so that no matter where we go, we can always be leading our own little army. A better way of phrasing it would be to say that we have "soldiers" or "heralds", not pets. Going from 3 different flavors of bannermen to archer made sense, because archers are still human soldiers. We just got a different type of soldier with higher DPS for soloing, when banner buffs aren't all that good. But look at our herald list right now: human, human, human, human*. Adding dog to that list doesn't fit at all.

    Captains lead armies, not puppies.

    I know we can make them into dwarves or oathbreakers, but my point still stands. Depending on what armaments you use, they're all the same species.
    [CENTER][color="#1188FF"](███████████████ THERE IS NO DEATH[COLOR=Grey]╠[U]▀‼▀▀▀▀!!!▀▀▀▀‼▀[/U]╣[/COLOR]THERE IS THE FORCE ██████████████)[/color][/CENTER]

  8. #8

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    We are Captains, we do not have pets. We have heralds, much like the knights of old had squires. We are not dog whisperers, we lead MEN into battle. Please do not degrade our class into animal trainers. Thank you and G'day...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000006edfa/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,142

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    No nOooo NOOO plz dont! im dont want a dog;p
    The Oathbreaker is the best and COOLEST (pet) in the game~seriously just change the common dmg...

    [Tangaar Captain R 7][Barukhazad Minstrel R 9]

  10. #10

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    I may sound silly in previous post because of sleepy. Let me give you a good argument for this, first lore wise it not silly to for captain particularly a noble captains to have hunting and war dog. I means the dunlending have pack of them for wars and considering that medieval setting in which lord of the ring is clearly based it is not uncommon for noble blood to possess hunting dog.

    Ok the fun argument is what could it hurt. Loremaster get new pet all the times, and most of times it not even close to vision what loremaster should be capable in tolkien lore. I'm not going to bash on loremaster or anythings. Fact is herald is part of captain gameplay and one part that have not receive any significant update from the time of Moria. Fact is our herald cosmetics barely even change from angmar and the biggest difference is oathbreaker. One expansion already passed and our herald has not gotten any upgrade at all.

    Right now i settle for a new cosmetics for our herald but how about going futher and doing something special. Make a big hunting dog for a captain beside if it that suck to have a unre-zable follower in group setting what could it hurt?. It could be only useful for solo and that good. that is my argument.

  11. #11

    Red face Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    i like the idea of having a dog as a captain pet, you can use it like the archer.

    Also it would look better than the ones we got now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2222500000003a6c5/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,600

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Quote Originally Posted by faernnaoloth View Post
    I may sound silly in previous post because of sleepy. Let me give you a good argument for this, first lore wise it not silly to for captain particularly a noble captains to have hunting and war dog. I means the dunlending have pack of them for wars and considering that medieval setting in which lord of the ring is clearly based it is not uncommon for noble blood to possess hunting dog.

    Ok the fun argument is what could it hurt. Loremaster get new pet all the times, and most of times it not even close to vision what loremaster should be capable in tolkien lore. I'm not going to bash on loremaster or anythings. Fact is herald is part of captain gameplay and one part that have not receive any significant update from the time of Moria. Fact is our herald cosmetics barely even change from angmar and the biggest difference is oathbreaker. One expansion already passed and our herald has not gotten any upgrade at all.

    Right now i settle for a new cosmetics for our herald but how about going futher and doing something special. Make a big hunting dog for a captain beside if it that suck to have a unre-zable follower in group setting what could it hurt?. It could be only useful for solo and that good. that is my argument.
    I'm not against the idea, but I just don't see what role it would fill that an archer or herald isn't filling.

    I wouldn't mind having a loyal dog to fight beside me - although it seems more like a hunter idea than anything else.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  13. #13

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Quote Originally Posted by faernnaoloth View Post
    Right now i settle for a new cosmetics for our herald but how about going futher and doing something special. Make a big hunting dog for a captain beside if it that suck to have a unre-zable follower in group setting what could it hurt?. It could be only useful for solo and that good. that is my argument.
    I don't even want new cosmetics. Right now, I have squire herald armaments, and my skirm soldier is wearing a hobbit surcoat. It gives them the exact same uniform, so it really feels like I'm leading an army ^^

    But yeah, new cosmetics would be fine, as long as they fit the captain. Captains were never intended to have pets.
    [CENTER][color="#1188FF"](███████████████ THERE IS NO DEATH[COLOR=Grey]╠[U]▀‼▀▀▀▀!!!▀▀▀▀‼▀[/U]╣[/COLOR]THERE IS THE FORCE ██████████████)[/color][/CENTER]

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    I have to disagree on this one. I just don't think that it fits the flavor of Captain in Lord of the Rings. In the books there are no mention of the free peoples using animals in battle that I can recall. You had the eagles in The Battle of 5 Armies, but they came on their own volition. There was the thrush who served as a messenger for Bilbo and Bard, but that was as messenger only. Farmer Maggot had dogs, but they were hardly battle trained animals. Yes, nobles would characteristically keep hunting hounds, but LOTRO Captains are not necessarily nobles.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

  15. #15

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Well there is Huan the hound from the Silmarillion...
    "Argle-bargle morble whoosh?"

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000099a14/01003/signature.png]Yvain[/charsig]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,688

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Quote Originally Posted by YvainBlakhart View Post
    Well there is Huan the hound from the Silmarillion...
    it just doesn't seem realistic for a captain... maybe someone higher up in the ranks can afford the luxury to keep a personal warhound but the position of a captain isn't really cut out to lead dogs into battle
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b36d8/signature.png]Slartibart[/charsig]
    "O Captain! My Captain!"[/CENTER]

  17. #17

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    I'd rather see current heralds improved.
    I've only found them useful in solo play - that was when I had to get some object protected by 20 mobs, I'd send mr hope with shield of the dunedain to grab agro, then I'd get what I need and run off... I can be cruel sometimes

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    872

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    hound or no, I want to see our pets improved in some way, cosmetically and/or in practice... but I have to applaud the OP's original idea in its creativity... war-hounds sound like companions in battle, not the fluffy passive puppies that are meant to be taken care of... the war-hounds as I understand them, would be self-sufficient to a point, while showing a level of intelligence that allow them to be effective in fights... consumables would be cooked food (meat), with skills that depend on what the dog's role would be... right now, we miss an AOE type of any kind...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140100000b9311/signature.png]Mavirthael[/charsig]

    6 Chestnut Street, Branway, Breeland, Crickhollow

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,600

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcircus View Post
    the reason why a herald isn't really viable in group play is because he can die.. and cannot be resummoned during combat

    don't see how a huge dog changes that :P

    lore masters are our pet keepers tho.. a captain isn't a dogsitter
    Um no....

    It's because the herald is doing common damage.

    Experience has shown that a herald is remarkably survivable.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Heralds are underestimated by many of my fellow Captains - and I'll never understand why. They are extremely durable, making them very good CC. They move with you so they are almost always better than banners in any sitution where you are moving a lot - and the Archer is a nice buff to your DPS. They can also take damage from bosses that would other-wise hit other players. The bias against using Heralds is something that has always baffled me. I would like my Captain a lot less if he didn't have my herald.

    That being said I'd love to see more variety added in looks and types of Heralds. I'm always game for making something good even better.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,688

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Um no....

    It's because the herald is doing common damage.
    really now? because of those 3-4% less dps? because herald dps is at all relevant?
    Experience has shown that a herald is remarkably survivable.
    experience has shown me that he isn't
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b36d8/signature.png]Slartibart[/charsig]
    "O Captain! My Captain!"[/CENTER]

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,362

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    no.

    im a Leader of Men! not a Leader of the Pack! (vroom vroom)

    id rather get a hobbit slave or an elf slave, i mean herald.
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Heralds are underestimated by many of my fellow Captains - and I'll never understand why. They are extremely durable, making them very good CC. They move with you so they are almost always better than banners in any sitution where you are moving a lot - and the Archer is a nice buff to your DPS. They can also take damage from bosses that would other-wise hit other players. The bias against using Heralds is something that has always baffled me. I would like my Captain a lot less if he didn't have my herald.

    That being said I'd love to see more variety added in looks and types of Heralds. I'm always game for making something good even better.
    The problem with Heralds is that they were originally developed as a nerf and do not add additional combat capabilities beyond their banners. Well, originally they did offer a guaranteed stun, but that required a mark, mutually exclusive to Revealing and Telling, to be applied to the target. That mark was replaced by Noble Mark and the heralds' stun was changed to only apply 25% of the time. Since then, heralds have simply been outpaced by the introduction of banners and other game developments.

    When I started playing, the Herald was the only option, and I used it extensively when leveling. I learned how to use them pretty well as an off-tank. But in order to do that, the captain has to delay healing the herald for as long as possible. They simply don't generate enough aggro to hold a mob against more than a couple heals. The trouble is that with our self healing we no longer need an off-tank, and the herald is a bit redundant. The Archer is good for additional DPS and to give some ranged damage for a few places where it is helpful. I use the Archer a lot for solo content. But in group content, it is so hard to get the heralds and archers out of AoE damage that I just use the banner and avoid that headache. For so little benefit, most players just don't see the benefit in learning how to use the herald well.

    So, that leaves the heralds as something like an appendix.



    Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    no.

    im a Leader of Men! not a Leader of the Pack! (vroom vroom)

    id rather get a hobbit slave or an elf slave, i mean herald.
    I admit it. I lol'd.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

  24. #24

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcircus View Post
    it just doesn't seem realistic for a captain... maybe someone higher up in the ranks can afford the luxury to keep a personal warhound but the position of a captain isn't really cut out to lead dogs into battle
    I'm not for or against the proposal. Someone mentioned it being unsupported in the lore, I just had to lore-monkey a bit to say that, yes, there was a Hound that played a significant role in the Lay of Beren and Luthien, one of the seminal stories of the First Age.
    "Argle-bargle morble whoosh?"

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000099a14/01003/signature.png]Yvain[/charsig]

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Dunlending War Dog for Captain New Pet

    Quote Originally Posted by YvainBlakhart View Post
    I'm not for or against the proposal. Someone mentioned it being unsupported in the lore, I just had to lore-monkey a bit to say that, yes, there was a Hound that played a significant role in the Lay of Beren and Luthien, one of the seminal stories of the First Age.

    You got me. I had forgotten about Huan. But as a cheap cop-out, I must mention that Turbine doesn't have rights to the Silmarillion..... so
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

 

 
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload