We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: I cannot get enough mats for Scholar Expert Proficiency...

It's the one-tier behind problem, and it's true in all the crafts. Want a level 31 sword? You'll be in tier 3 country questing until 34 or so, but your materials are in tier 4 country. Same with leather armour and scholar mats.

All the best gear in the early game (up until mid to late 50s) is the crafted stuff. With things arranged the way they are, if you're trying to make your own gear, you probably won't be able to crit the tier you need gear from until you're considerably over-level for the area you're questing in. I think that's one of the reasons everybody suggests making your main an explorer and getting it higher level than your other toons - it can supply crafting mats - including a fair few scholar mats, because those drop from mobs, too.

In addition to the other ways mentioned, the Tier 7 "Wild Flowers" farming recipe will allow you to grow and harvest vast quantities of vegetative dyestuffs.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by Issachar44 View Post
    ..Get thee to Iorvinas FAST.
    lmao! +rep for the laugh, even if credit should given to my inner voice when reading that sentence..

In case no one has mentioned it (I haven't finished the thread yet), I want to emphasize that you MAKE CERTAIN you have as many of the potion recipes for the tier as you can get. Check the scholar vendor, on the AH and keep hunting. There SHOULD be a potion or three (hunter/warden oils, focus pots, & debuff-removal pots) that uses ONLY the easier to find mats (plus the store-bought ingredients) that will help you, along with dyes & paints, to tier up quickly (well, as quickly as you can)..

And, yes, Iorvinas was a gift from Eru..
    Last edited by MRNot; Nov 28 2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: typo
    [I][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=comic sans ms]~ Occasional Taunter of Masked Badgers[/FONT][FONT=comic sans ms] ~[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant_Turtle View Post
    While you've got great advice for getting more mats you might find it easier to get other recipes. Take a look at the expert recipe list on the wiki: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Scho...t_Recipe_Index. The basic power and morale pots only require 1 Torn Craftsman's Diary each and would appear to be the most resource efficient way to skill up. I thought those were automatically granted but I may be mistaken, or perhaps the wiki is wrong.
    And here's the post I didn't get to before posting mine.. D'OH!
    [I][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=comic sans ms]~ Occasional Taunter of Masked Badgers[/FONT][FONT=comic sans ms] ~[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    In addition to the other ways mentioned, the Tier 7 "Wild Flowers" farming recipe will allow you to grow and harvest vast quantities of vegetative dyestuffs.
    Of course ... first catch your Tier VII.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Astarte View Post
    Iorvinas for tier 3 (expert) mats is the best site I've found.

For tier 1 mats, the brigand camp in the Narrowcleve is the best drop rate I've found, though still painfully slow to level up.

Grindy, grindy, grind.
    For level 1, I found Orodost, the goblin camp that is near Noglond in Ered Luin to be the best. There are only 2 nodes, but there is also a body to loot and then all the goblins. As an RK when those were green to me, if I killed all the goblins the nodes would be respawning. So while it is still a grind, at least you are not sitting around waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyxzl View Post
    For level 1, I found Orodost, the goblin camp that is near Noglond in Ered Luin to be the best. There are only 2 nodes, but there is also a body to loot and then all the goblins. As an RK when those were green to me, if I killed all the goblins the nodes would be respawning. So while it is still a grind, at least you are not sitting around waiting.
    I didn't remember that as being a terribly rich dropsite, but Ered Luin in general was maddeningly stingy with scholar mats, so that spot surely is worth a second look. Thanks for the tip.
    [FONT=palatino linotype][SIZE=2][COLOR=#b22222]LilyRose of Gladden[/COLOR][COLOR=#b22222], Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at[/COLOR][URL="http://rangerswest.guildlaunch.com"][COLOR=#b22222] rangerswest.guildlaunch.com[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#b22222].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thumbs down

I can't believe I am writing this three years after the last thread and there aren't any more expert mats available now, than there were three years ago. This is disgusting lotro. Not only that but you took away the quests in Duillond where we could at least get the mats we needed through quests. I spent ages trying to get Faded Sindarin Passages today with my scholar. Not one single one dropped in any of the areas mentioned in any of the guides. None in scholar nodes and no drops from mobs. How is a person supposed to craft in the expert level if you can't get the mats. The Ancient Vases only dropped dwarf carvings, nothing else. This is utter rubbish and it makes me very angry. Every other craft has heaps of recourses in ore or wood throughout their level but not the scholar. What is going on with that. It really needs to be looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirah View Post
    I can't believe I am writing this three years after the last thread and there aren't any more expert mats available now, than there were three years ago. This is disgusting lotro. Not only that but you took away the quests in Duillond where we could at least get the mats we needed through quests. I spent ages trying to get Faded Sindarin Passages today with my scholar. Not one single one dropped in any of the areas mentioned in any of the guides. None in scholar nodes and no drops from mobs. How is a person supposed to craft in the expert level if you can't get the mats. The Ancient Vases only dropped dwarf carvings, nothing else. This is utter rubbish and it makes me very angry. Every other craft has heaps of recourses in ore or wood throughout their level but not the scholar. What is going on with that. It really needs to be looked at.
    There are plenty of scholar materials. Indeed, I have storage stuffed with them (tier 9 excepted currently). Kill humanoids and research Ancient Vases. You also get some special recipes now that work like the high tier ones. Gather all sorts of scholar stuff, even the lower and higher tiers and loot treasure nodes (corpses and chests). For Faded Sindarin Passages, hit the shades in the Fields of Fornost and then cross over to Evendim and hit the tomb robbers on the Brandywine. Finish by going over to the Lone-lands and slaughter every Dourhand, troll, orc, half-orc, goblin, wight, and shade you can find.

If you're on Dwarrodelf or Nimrodel, give me a holler. PM me on the forums and I'll try to work something out for you.

Oh yeah, before I forget it. Run through Haudh Iarchith killing everything and researching every urn and vase. Be sure to go into every barrow except Othrongroth. I get so much Tier 2 and 3 stuff in there that I have to sell the excess at fire sale prices.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Hi! Follow wiki advice and thread advice and go visit Iorvinas for some quick material farming. Also consider putting your farming to good use to get crit petals and berries to make dye - I think t3 has both turquoise and violet. Also...the cracked carving thingies are used for making potions, I think. If you have not yet done so, check your scholar npc for recipes.

Make sure that you kill mobs inside Iorvinas too, for potentially more scholar mats and a lot of mixed vendor stuff+recipe scrolls.

I don't really understand the bit about mats and Duillond...as per the wiki and any number of forum threads, you get some basic t1 scholar mats from t1 nodes most easily in Ered Luin (easy, yes, but not quick). There are a grand total of three of those. You also get them in Bree-land, worth a visit.

Consider using + craft boosts - oh, and remember to finish your expert craft quest when half way through and keep a port to Rivendell open.

I spent ages trying to get Faded Sindarin Passages today with my scholar. Not one single one dropped in any of the areas mentioned in any of the guides. None in scholar nodes and no drops from mobs. How is a person supposed to craft in the expert level if you can't get the mats. The Ancient Vases only dropped dwarf carvings, nothing else.
    U13 changed the way Scholar materials work. Now we are only suppossed to gather one kind of material from mobs, nodes and the like and then to craft the other kinds of materials from what we gathered. Check your crafting log for a "Research" section for each tier. That will allow you to transform materials into more advanced materials.

As a side effect, the Research steps give crafting XP as well, allowing us to advance the Scholar craft by producing less scrolls, potions and the like. For example, a scroll of battle lore used to give 10 crafting XP. Now it gives the same 10 crafting XP plus 6 crafting XP from transforming the materials, for a total of 16 crafting XP.
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    U13 changed the way Scholar materials work. Now we are only suppossed to gather one kind of material from mobs, nodes and the like and then to craft the other kinds of materials from what we gathered. Check your crafting log for a "Research" section for each tier. That will allow you to transform materials into more advanced materials.

As a side effect, the Research steps give crafting XP as well, allowing us to advance the Scholar craft by producing less scrolls, potions and the like. For example, a scroll of battle lore used to give 10 crafting XP. Now it gives the same 10 crafting XP plus 6 crafting XP from transforming the materials, for a total of 16 crafting XP.
    Yup, low lvl scholars have to upgrade the tier of the mat now in their "Research" section of the crafting.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Expert scholar mats are more common than orcs and goblins in the Nan Wathren Western Pass! U13 they revamped the North Downs. And I couldn't believe the sheer amount of scholar nodes!

Quote Originally Posted by Stigger32 View Post
    Expert scholar mats are more common than orcs and goblins in the Nan Wathren Western Pass! U13 they revamped the North Downs. And I couldn't believe the sheer amount of scholar nodes!
    Seriously! Could've sworn they were Broken Urns though. Giant Halls in Misty Mountains also has lots of new nodes, scattered all over the place (Tier 5 I think).

I'm working on updating my North Downs scholar resource map (link in signature). Found lots of new nodes in Nan Wathren, but none on landscape in Fornost or Dol Dinen.
    Laineth, Lassdhel, Rikkom, Rilem, & alts // Google+ (http://plus.google.com/b/113811507425749946527/113811507425749946527)
    Scholar Resource Maps for Eriador (https://goo.gl/photos/RavGWt9AYPNb6Wes5), Rhovanion (https://goo.gl/photos/jRuu1TmSoXGCfpTS7), and Gondor (https://goo.gl/photos/UD6JKgJQLcsMLYNHA)
    Many hands make light work; please help update the LOTRO Wiki! (http://lotro-wiki.com)
    It takes a tree decades to grow to maturity, minutes to cut it down.

Iorvinas in Lone Lands. Learn it. Love it. Farm it.
    Congratulations to Sanrael who correctly solved the puzzle and won 500 TP. Stay tuned for future puzzles!

I have stockpiled mats available for those who need them.

PM me and we'll talk

I can't believe anyone has trouble leveling Scholar.
    Just for completing the tiers, it's easy. Use the farming profession to farm for dye mats. (use the 100% crit item available where you buy your seed and soil)
    You will get plenty of dye mats, and enough cook's crit items to pay for the farming materials just by npcing them, not to mention selling the crops. Auction whatever dyes you don't have use for, and you'll make decent money, along with leveling up tiers for both Farmer and Scholar.

The problem isn't in leveling the tiers, it's in getting some of the rarer mats for crafting things you want after you have achieved the tiers!

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyxzl View Post
    Expert was the easiest level for me to complete. Go to the Lonelands and find the dwarf cave, I think that it is Iorvinas. There are TONS of vases in there and humanoids to kill as well
    Between this place, the half orcs and the orcs (one cave entrance is right outside the orc fort), Expert level is a breeze. To get artisan mats, just run the 3 GA instances, all the [sentient] mobs drop the mat, especially the undead ones. For Master level, head to the Giant halls of the Misty Mountains, there are ancient vases EVERYWHERE and not even by ruins. I have never had a problem getting mats (I have raised 5 scholars) and now they made it much easier to get xp points since you have to make the higher level materials. Hardest level used to be Apprentice, but not so sure now with the changes.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

No, what needs to be looked at (by YOU) is the patch notes for the latest update, plus you need to look in your scholar crafting at the "research" section, where you will notice that Faded Sindarin Passages are created by combining two Cracked Dwarf Carvings. This is now the only way to get Faded Sindarin Passages, as all nodes and drops for expert level will be Cracked Dwarf Carvings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotlbeme View Post
    Between this place, the half orcs and the orcs (one cave entrance is right outside the orc fort), Expert level is a breeze. To get artisan mats, just run the 3 GA instances, all the [sentient] mobs drop the mat, especially the undead ones. For Master level, head to the Giant halls of the Misty Mountains, there are ancient vases EVERYWHERE and not even by ruins. I have never had a problem getting mats (I have raised 5 scholars) and now they made it much easier to get xp points since you have to make the higher level materials. Hardest level used to be Apprentice, but not so sure now with the changes.
    Apprentice is still the hardest, for the nodes are very few in number (best spot is the ruins in the Midgewater Marshes); but that is mitigated by humanoid mob drops and that the amount you need is not very large.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

There are certain 'honey holes' for each tier you just have to learn where they are and farm the mats. Iorvinas is by far the best for tier 3 and generally within a few circuits (including stepping 'out' through the interior door to the dourhand fortress on the hill) you can have all you need within 30 minutes or so. Many people claim that tier 1 are very difficult as well but if you just wait until you get to breeland (no matter your race) then you can grab enough within 20 minutes or so by making a circuit of the marshfort area to the brigand ruins in chetwood. Doesn't take long at all.

Good luck.

+ 1 vote fof iorvinas.
    + 1 vote for auction house for getting recipies.

It took 3 toos from lvl 1 to 85, to get all recipies for one scholar. And they did deeds on the way. Sxholar isnt the hardest proffession. If someone really wants to take a leap into wild side, to submerge into bottomless abyss of totaly pointless grind, go and join cooks guild.
    Disclaimer: i do not, will not, have no responsobility for youth spent in vain, if you do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin_Eldar View Post
    Lore-Master is a great class, it's not at all 'garbage'. A bit slow to start but easy to level as long as you're not trying to play it for something it isn't. Maybe you just need to learn to play it the way it is, which isn't hard.

I have a level 64 LM and really brilliant to play, scaled up to 95 on moors a bit low on audacity but the pets all scale to 96 and the bog lurker is all but indestructible on level. as for scholar mats, this is a real pain even with 10 toons from 95 down to 25 supplying my level 50 mini scholar he is battling to level his crafting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2