We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy I cannot get enough mats for Scholar Expert Proficiency...

I cannot find enough materials to get the proficiency of Expert Scholar so that the Artisane lvl can appear at last. The recipes I can make demand all Faded Sindarin Passages which are extremely difficult to find/get (Torn Craftman's Diaries and Cracked Dwarf carving are less difficult to find but still). I bought some dye recipes but the ingredients are also very rare to find: woad plants are very rare, bluebottle petals and juicy blackberries are rare criticals of the farming profession. I wonder if I am missing something. I mean if you want hides just go and kill some mobs and soon you get what you want, the same counts for getting ores, farming is easy as well, etc. so I think there must be some other way, if not something is very wrong with this profession. I wonder if there is any other recipes where the crafting scholar materials are somewhat easier to get.

Re: I cannot get enough mats for Scholar Expert Proficiency...

Scholar is about the toughest craft to level for this reason, all you can do is go scouring ruins for nodes, but also remember 'brigand' type mobs also drop scholar mats, so do the rounds of your local bad guys' camps as well.

Scholar has always been one of the toughest to level up. All I can suggest is you farm humanoid mobs on the relevant level and seach ruins, same goes for all the scholar levels.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000014b2f1/01005/signature.png]Goshawk[/charsig]

I am in the same boat with my alt Scholar, I managed to get to Artisan by having the luck to save all the items I start getting earlier enough, no that I am artisan I am having the same problem to get items, specially those 3 you mentioned.

Forgot to add above .. don't expect Turbine to make it easier, there's a reason the Store sells ingredient packs and crafting XP boost scrolls.

Yes it is hard and I made on top of that the mistake of making my toon a lore-master, the wolves walk by me growl and I die, what a piece of garbage toon, I wish I could buy a token to change the lore master to any thing.

Lore-Master is a great class, it's not at all 'garbage'. A bit slow to start but easy to level as long as you're not trying to play it for something it isn't. Maybe you just need to learn to play it the way it is, which isn't hard.

The best way to get scholar materials is to put a standing APB out in your kin DO NOT VENDOR SCHOLAR MATS!!! I had it set as message of the day with the names of the characters in the kin who needed them.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002a1600/signature.png]Awesomely[/charsig][U][SIZE=2][URL="http://tinyurl.com/bptwyea"][COLOR=#0000ff]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#ffff00]A Hunter Wants You To Know[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE][/U]

Scholar isn't too awful, and even though it is a bit harder than the others, it should be. You have the potential to make significantly more money(or help for yourself/friends) with scholar than through any other profession.

Tips for getting low level mats:

Nodes, of course.
    Grind humanoids of that level.
    Find other players who are already grinding those mobs, and offer to buy their mats. Many low level players don't see them as items of value and so sell to the vendor.
    Ask friends.
    Find someone to farm you a bunch of fields of T7 rep flowers. This field produces several crit items to be used in scholaring.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000c5929/signature.png]Naughtymistress[/charsig]

And some creeps. Most of whom shall remain nameless :p

Some guy in Michel Delving gave me 300+ bluebottle petals. I mailed them to my Scholar. Sometimes you just have to get lucky. Like others have said, being in a kin who collects mats is a huge help! My kin bought out a neighborhood and each officer's house contains mats of a different profession in the storage chests that characters of all levels donate to and use.

Your other option is to buy the needed mats from the AH. They are not always available there and prices do vary when they are but at least you can benefit from the gathering efforts of others assuming you have enough coin to puchase the items. If coinage is a problem may I suggest you roll an alt (if you don't alrdy have one) and give that alt the explorer profession to gather wood and ore. Both of these items sell well on the AH (especially since the crafting gated quests were removed). Then use the money made from selling your ore and wood to buy your needed scholar mats. Ore and wood nodes (as you may alrdy realize) are many times more plentiful then scholar nodes.

I know its all work but about everything to be done in this game involves a certain amount of invested time and some things (scholar profession advancement) more then others.

Welden
    Welden of Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaryo View Post
    Yes it is hard and I made on top of that the mistake of making my toon a lore-master, the wolves walk by me growl and I die, what a piece of garbage toon, I wish I could buy a token to change the lore master to any thing.
    Hate to break it to you, but that's got nothing to do with the class. Playing a Lore-master well requires a lot of skill and at the very early levels is when you need to learn to use your pet and your stun effectively to keep mobs at range.

Sorry for the threadjack, OP. I'm leveling a scholar alt right now, too, and I remember how tough that tier was.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Expert was the easiest level for me to complete. Go to the Lonelands and find the dwarf cave, I think that it is Iorvinas. There are TONS of vases in there and humanoids to kill as well
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/nalv.jpg/][IMG]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7739/nalv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyxzl View Post
    Expert was the easiest level for me to complete. Go to the Lonelands and find the dwarf cave, I think that it is Iorvinas. There are TONS of vases in there and humanoids to kill as well
    Ditto. Iorvinas is a godsend for Expert tier Scholar mats. I recently leveled my Scholar through there, and after the interminable grind that was the Apprentice and Journeyman tiers, it was like paradise. Get thee to Iorvinas FAST.

^^ This. There are quite a few nodes, a fairly fast respawn rate and yes it is Iorvinas.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

While you've got great advice for getting more mats you might find it easier to get other recipes. Take a look at the expert recipe list on the wiki: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Scho...t_Recipe_Index. The basic power and morale pots only require 1 Torn Craftsman's Diary each and would appear to be the most resource efficient way to skill up. I thought those were automatically granted but I may be mistaken, or perhaps the wiki is wrong.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001e0c1c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Just wait until you step into Moria. You'll have a joygasm from all the scholar nodes laying around everywhere.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000016c6/01007/signature.png]Tenerial[/charsig]
    I am writing a book about the most productive citizens of Middle Earth. It's called "Seven Hobbits are Highly Effective People."

I found T1 scholar i knightmare to get matts for , but yeah some lvls are much harder than others !

Add another recommendation for Iorvinas. I've run two scholars through there and been able to blaze through expert in less than a day off the bounty of crafting mats. Another good place to look would be the various minor instances in the Barrow Downs - the nodes are tier 3 but I've gotten materials up to tier 5 (mostly the much-needed texts & moon letters) off the various undead inside.

Oh and whoever said dyes were the easiest way to level up scholar obviously had no idea what the blazes they were talking about. You get a paltry handful of points compared to the time it takes to find or farm all the non-vendor materials. I've been using the warden/ hunter oils, bow chants, and battle/ warding lore scrolls. The first two usually take more reasonable materials and the later has the best return on points per craft.

One suggestion I would make is to not use materials for the more involved recipes while you are still levelling to Master, while levelling ANY tier.
    The XP is lower, but you are grinding more results.
    Do you use scrolls? The best tools for your level? These all increase results.
    For me it was fun to run around ruins. Some days that's all I would do during a playing session. I would always finish mastery without near full stacks of all materials so that I could better achieve the crits on the recipes I really wanted or which sold.
    A bit more if I may...
    The extra crit items have changed things recently. It used to be you could not crit until after mastering the tier. Now you can crit sooner. As stated there are also recipes for crit items. While I personally feel that is a backward progression (why not have recipes that don't require any materials? Just learn the recipe and presto!) it is another example of the "McCrafting" trends in this game.
    It is soooooo much easier that it used to be. No I am not saying I had it harder, I am saying that it seems no matter how easy they make it, people want instant results. Crafting is, well, crafting. Speed clicking just seems too easy.
    Where did somebody ask "chives?". I got the impression they felt that was a useless crit item. Be a cook trying to master that tier, and wish you could find more chives!
    The crafts are supposed to link alts and players together by way of giving each of us something useful and each of us a need to acquire items from other crafts. What is wrong with that?

Don't forget that if you want more good stuff, you need these materials all over again to get Guild rep. It is a long road, one made much shorter. And to paraphrase a very early statement from the game designers a way back, crafting was almost removed the game entirely! It has been a very long process of change.

That level is a particular pain to complete. I found this link helpful to remind me of node locations:
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...096#post336096

Also, when all else fails the Barrow Downs can be a good source. Between that, the cave in Iorvinas and a little route back and forth between the Midgewater Marshes and Ost Baranor, I finally got the level done. I used my farmer for getting the dye mats, and crafted potions with the rest. Don't forget to farm extra mats for your guild rep as well.

Hate to say but you will be cursing the lack of Tier 4 and 5 nodes too.

Concentrate on making power pots and/or morale pots and fire oils. They require less mats. Fire oil has a pretty good demand, specially if your server has a lot of hunter/Warden PVPers. I always prioritize fire oil making when i was leveling as it helps me recover most of my expenses. You can sell it at an average of 400s for 10 fire oils (each mat produces 3 fire oils). At the highest tier, everything is sellable so this is a very rewarding profession.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001a47aa/signature.png]Morgim[/charsig]

Iorvinas for tier 3 (expert) mats is the best site I've found.

For tier 1 mats, the brigand camp in the Narrowcleve is the best drop rate I've found, though still painfully slow to level up.

Grindy, grindy, grind.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

I generally do the orc fortress on top of Iorvinas first - there are also a lot of nodes and orcs dropping the fades sindarin passages and the rest of the mats - then go in the door if Iorvinas if I'm still short (it's just on the left side of the orc fortress).

If you know where to look, expert is a really easy tier. If you don't...I did my first scholar without knowing about that little wealth of materials. It was painful.

If you're going the guild route, start at expert - the largest scholar symbol turn-in (once per week) nets you 70 scholar XP points, the every 3 days one gives 35 points, and the daily one - 10 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Issachar44 View Post
    Ditto. Iorvinas is a godsend for Expert tier Scholar mats. I recently leveled my Scholar through there, and after the interminable grind that was the Apprentice and Journeyman tiers, it was like paradise. Get thee to Iorvinas FAST.
    Yes. And, looking ahead....

When you get to Artisan level, the place to go is Ost Durgonn, north of the Great Road in the western Trollshaws. There are about a zillion Whiskerbacks (jumped-up Cave Claws) there; I have the advantage, which you perhaps don't, of being a higher level than they are so that they're all grey to me. I'm collecting mats for my baby Burglar, who is only 25.

Having gotten him through Artisan, I'm now collecting tier V mats at Gabilazan in the Misties. Every ten minutes two Ancient Vases spawn, regular as clockwork.

For Tier VI, there are several places, but whh and I like the Palace of Nain and other sites within easy running distance of Dolven-view, Moria. Be sure you get all the way down to the understructure of both the Palace and the Dolven-view building. The latter was clearly built around a gigantic amethyst geode, with observation galleries on three sides so that the Dwarves could stand there and admire that splendid work of Aule.

For Tier VII, of course, there's the Bonevales.

Of course this all depends on your Scholar either being of a level that can survive in those places, or having a Scholar alt who is. For some strange reason Turbine assumed that we were all going to train our crafting in a leisurely fashion, getting no further advanced in crafting tier than we were in level. Didn't work out that way.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast