We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Great Minstrel Solo List

*Edit* The following challenges are confirmed to have been soloed! If you've done 1 too many skirmish raids, healed enough school/library runs to make you want to set fire to all eregion and deconned enough legendary weapons to fill a pulp fantasy novel, try some of these instead!

In roughly (guessed) ascending order of difficulty:

Garth Argawen challange mode
    Fields of Fornost
    Bogbereth (raid spider in Angmar)
    Sword Halls of Dol Goldur(all bosses)
    Urugarth(Lhugrien, Lagmos and Morthrang are a notch harder than the rest)
    Carn Dum(Everything dies! Pictures of PhantonPunkk's awesome strategy for taking down Mordirith
    Barad Gularan (Brings lots of pots!)
    Ettenmoors Creep outpost
    Mirror-Halls of Lumal-Lar
    Forgotten Treasury
    Skumfil HM
    Fil Gashan HM
    Grand Stair
    Northcotton Farm
    Stoneheight
    Sword Halls challange mode
    Gregoris and Cargadel (Ettenmoors spider raid bosses)
    School at Tham Miridain(second boss)
    Library at Tham Miridain (Level 75 Challange!)
    Pits of Isengard, first boss
    Northcotton T2 Challange
    Stoneheight HM (The holy grail!)

*Original Text Below*
    I haven't been able to find a minstrel thread similar to the great solo lists for wardens and champions. Maybe it was lost in some great forum purge, maybe we just don't toot our own horn as much (pun intended). Surely there are great minstrel soloers out there.

Here's the champion thread:
    Great Champion Solo List

How many of you have soloed things on this list? I have made a meager start on this list. So far, my accomplishments include soloing Sword Halls(all three bosses) and Bogbereth, the old raid spider in Angmar.

Post your accomplishments! +rep for cool pictures.
    Last edited by fuzzywolf23; Dec 26 2011 at 06:20 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000021963f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Great Minstrel Solo List

So far, my current best solo is Northcotton Farms, Tier 2 Challenge mode at level 75. I soloed the entire thing. I also soloed through Helchy in CD at level 65 before I couldn't take it anymore (I gave up due to tedium, not how hard it was).

My current self-challenge is Stoneheight T2 Challenge, which is giving me some trouble. Having to make sure not to use Anthem of the Valar and Herald's Strike is awful in there.

Uh, next time I solo NCF, I'll try to remember to take screenshots!

(And really, I think that the reason there isn't a big thread about Minstrel solos is that people who play Minstrel as their main are a different sort than those that play other classes. *shrug*)
    Narlinde ~ Minstrel, Singer of the Lament of Windfola

My own solo list may be rather mild in comparison, but I wasn't able to do so before so...

I've soled Urugarth up through Lhugrien (server went down before I could press further)
    I've soloed Carn Dum up through Rodakhan and Salvahk. (I skipped Barashal and the Cargul in the middle.)
    I've soloed the entirety of Fornost.
    I've also soloed Garth Agarwen Fortress.

I have solo'd creep controlled ettenmoors outposts (the DoF-controlled ones are much harder). I'll make a screenshot next time.

I take up the challenge to find other stuff to solo . maybe some other bosses in the ettenmoors or 3-man instances. I'll let you know.
    I think when bosses aren't immune to your piercing cry stun half the battle is fought already.
    [B][URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?385713-Kinship-Revamp-Proposal"][COLOR=#ed2669]A vote for the kinship revamp proposal is a vote for progress! Vote today![/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Soloed northcotton and stoneheigt T1 so far. Tried stoneheigt T2 a Bit but did Not work out yet.
    Will have to try the other meantioned inis.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywolf23 View Post
    I haven't been able to find a minstrel thread similar to the great solo lists for wardens and champions.
    If there was never a thread, I suspect it's because Minstrels weren't so solo friendly before RoI. You could solo stuff, like Bogbereth, but it was harder then it is today with all the new OP abilities.

The only thing I "soloed" so far was SH HM at lvl74.
    [CENTER][SIZE="4"]♔[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]-----------------------------------------------------------
    Tarkrîp Chief says, ''I'll have your heart.''
    -----------------------------------------------------------[/CENTER]

I have pictures!

Sword Halls bosses and Mirror Halls bosses.

Sword Hall is pretty easy if you don't do challenge mode (props to any minstrel who does. I haven't managed yet.). Tale of Battle helps in here, and you have to save your piercing cry to interrupt heals on the second boss. +3 DG medallions, +20 tier 2 relics, +100k ixp

The mirror halls bosses are a lot harder, I feel. Both bosses have large wound dots that, even with 6k morale, need to be potted off right away. First boss hits hard, but its morale regen is low enough that timeless echoes of battle will (eventually) bring it down while you kite. Second boss has dread, power leech, knockback on a limited platform ... he's rough. Hope tokens needed for sure. +2 lothlorien tokens, +10 tier 2 relics, +50k ixp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fuzzywolf23; Nov 19 2011 at 05:43 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000021963f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

My experience has been that minstrels were very solo friendly before RoI. I solo'd much of CD, Uru as well as Rockwithers, and an Ettenmoors Outpost pre-RoI, but they take a lot less time now (my other half actually Fraps'd one of the OP takes 2 years ago - and it took 20+ minutes and was very boring). I added an Ettenmoors Chieftain recently though, which I don't think I would have been able to do prior, given power issues.

If you wanted to solo a big elite mob before RoI, you could - you just needed to come armed with a ton of time and power pots *shrug*
    ? R13 Minstrel ? Guardians of the Dagorlad ? Jaiyne ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianrial View Post
    My experience has been that minstrels were very solo friendly before RoI. I solo'd much of CD, Uru as well as Rockwithers, and an Ettenmoors Outpost pre-RoI, but they take a lot less time now (my other half actually Fraps'd one of the OP takes 2 years ago - and it took 20+ minutes and was very boring). I added an Ettenmoors Chieftain recently though, which I don't think I would have been able to do prior, given power issues.

If you wanted to solo a big elite mob before RoI, you could - you just needed to come armed with a ton of time and power pots *shrug*
    My sense is that your are probably correct. I must say, though, that I hit 65 just as RoI was coming out. Challenging myself to solo old fellowship content is a good way to see stuff never got to do on-level.

I did Urugoth today -- all of it. The bosses ranged from "Wait, did I just kill a boss?" to running screaming from a boss and 20 of his closest elite friends. Some of the fights were genuinely fun and challenging. Walked out with 15g worth of quest items that sold on AH almost right away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Soloed Library lvl 75 HM some time ago. It's pretty easy but involves a lot of kiting and it gets boring quickly. Haven't tried School but don't see it possible because the bosses got range attacks.

Saw this thread so I thought I'd give a few of these a go...

SH (Easy mode - HM is next)
    Ettenmoors OP (Creep controlled)
    Culling the Brood in the Ettenmoors (Gorgoris - Nemesis Spider)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000011a7fd/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Think SH HM is too easy? Just kite around until all the adds spawn (just healing until then, not doing any dmg) - then see how you manage.
    [CENTER][SIZE="4"]♔[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]-----------------------------------------------------------
    Tarkrîp Chief says, ''I'll have your heart.''
    -----------------------------------------------------------[/CENTER]

I once solo'd Skybreaker back in the day. D: but looks like I'll have to see what all I can do now.

I soloed Barad Gularan.

Last boss is a bit tricky, you have to heal through his AoE and pray he doesn't use the instant death wound when your potion is on CD. His heals can be interrupted, but that gives you an increased chance of an instant kill wound.

I'm still having massive trouble with the last boss in Stoneheight. Everything else in Stoneheight can be done in Tier 2 Challenge mode (just have to remember not to use Cry of the Valar and Herald's Strike on the bosses!), but Dale is just not giving up the ghost. It's those nasty stuns... those nasty LONG stuns and the massive damage you take if you don't interrupt his spear toss thingee while you are stunned. I end up just healing myself and not being able to do much damage and they wear me down by attrition. Grr.

Oh well. Here's a screenshot of the first boss.

Narlinde ~ Minstrel, Singer of the Lament of Windfola

I can confirm that NCF t2 challenge can be soloed.
    STH 1st and 2nd boss as well.

The third killed me quite fast... I'll need some more attempts there.

I finished all of Carn Dum except for Moridrith today. Moridrith is a very demanding fight in that you have to remember his script perfectly. I failed the fight when I decided to run *around* the boss instead of *through* him while I was kiting and he punted me into the lava.

I was filled with Trepidation when I started the fight. I wasn't sure I could handle +8 dread from a boss.

However, I never expected it to end like this:

Helchgam was challenging until I realized that every pillar and rock in his lair could be used to block line of sight. This means that you can fight 1 tentacle at a time and the others won't attack you. If you get low, just pop SoS and hide. Helch by himself does less damage than SoS heals. Helchgam's slime on my server goes for up to 20g on the AH, and my kin is full of hunters, so I imagine I'll be making a few of them very happy over the next few weeks.

Also, I learned the value of circle-strafing to deal with adds and bosses that hit hard. In a nutshell, if you hold down your right mouse button to control the camera and move left(or right) instead of forward, you can side run around in a circle at close to your full speed and still count as facing the mob so you can blast it.

I really hate the cauldron in ncf ^^ did not try it therefor on T2. Gotta find a better tactic for the poison clouds and kiting. Do you wait till one pops up or continually kite when you have an eye up?

I nearly got T2 stoneheight (not challange), had dale at 17k and orcie down.

Basically kiting all the way, starting in warspeech but quickly dropping to spam selfheal codas while using minor and perfect ballads to do damage ( damage legacies for those ).

I noticed dale didn't stun me, except for one time at the start, because I was constantly running, and he was being blocked by the orc, a lot.

When the orc finally died, he started stunning again (nothing to block him).

So I figure I just did the order the wrong way around, next time I'll go there, I'll take out dale first and then the orc.

Of course, I was spamming my lovely selfhealing corruption removing cry all the time (whenever I could), but I'm not that well geared, or have that much experience in soloplaying a minstrel. So it won't be long...

I think all this attention on NCF and SH is pretty exciting. We, as minstrels, are soloing content just 1 expansion old that used to give groups fits.

Some posters in the champion forums made remarks saying that gameplay like this is the new endgame, at least for now. After getting pretty much all the gear I want from skirmish raids and instances (I could stand to upgrade a few pieces, I'm sure), a lot of players are turning to older content for new challanges. There's not a lot of direct reward for our mains -- except bragging rights -- but my captain alt is going to have a full set of lothlorien gear as soon as I bother to level him enough.

I would like to broaden the discussion, if I may, by talking about gear and traits that people are using while soloing stuff like in this thread. I'm sure that the level 75 PvMP gear is probably ideal, but I've yet to get to the Entenmoors at all. Here's what I'm using: (instance drop gear has its stats in parentheses)

Armor: Dirge-singer's robe/leggings/gloves/boots, Assault Hat of Theodred, Fated Shoulders of Theodred, Cloak of Hollin's Memory(+57will/vit) -- soon to be replaced with warrior's cloak of Theodred

Jewelry: 2x excellent fated dunlending ring, bracelet of oaths spoken, bracelet of strength remembered, Librarian's Amber Stud(86 will, 148 morale, 316 tac offense/healing), Pure Amethyst Earring (57will/vit, 130 power, 158 offense/healing), Dusty Gold Chain(57 will/vit 316 healing/offense) Angolwir(pocket, 87 will, 58 vit, 160 crit)

Traits: Valour/Zeal/Compassion/Charity/Innocence
    Armor of Song/Herald's Hammer/Light in the Dark/Powerful Voice/Unrelenting/Smooth Voice/Imp. Raise the Spirit

I'm trying to keep a respectable level of will but max out defenses and morale as much as possible. With this set up, I sit at 5.8k morale, 5.4k power, ~1200 will, 16k tactical, which is not very impressive. However, I run with 40% common mitigation and 30% tactical mitigation.

What are you other minstrels using? Many more people are reading this thread than posting in it, so we might as well make it educational.

Soloed Mordrith way back when. It is a pretty easy fight if you use the ledge to gain distance. Run him up it, jump off, etc.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3...shot00076j.jpg
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/3...shot00075s.jpg
    http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/939...shot00081m.jpg

The Elder staff didn't drop =[.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

My solo list on my minstrel includes:
    Northcotton Farm tier 2 (challenge)
    Stoneheight tier 2 (challenge)
    Sword Halls (challenge)
    School (75) first two bosses
    Library (75) the boss without pale-folk adds.
    Forgotten Treasury
    Creep Outpost
    Both two spider raid bosses in the Ettenmoors (Gorgoris + Caragdal)
    Many "Sub-/mini-bosses" in The Delving of Fror (for example Munglug The Egg-keeper)
    Inn of the Forsaken - Umin, Tier 2 (75) - Note: Didn't manage to kill the Spirit of the Necklace

Haven't caught any videos or screenshots yet for my kills, but might take some next time.

The traits I'm using is four yellow and three red.
    Red traits: Enduring morale, armour of song and light in the dark.
    Yellow traits: Smooth voice, glorious anthem, lyrics of bravery and the fourth doesn't really matter.
    The idea of this build is that you can do good dps in war-speech while getting both power and morale from the coda.
    This way you don't need to use potions or other healing skills. (5 seconds cooldown on anthems)

School at Tham Miridain (Level 75 Challange!)
    This is what I find very interesting. The challenge is to extinguish all ten books right?
    I tried it and failed the challenge. Not sure why, but I think it was because I pulled only a few mobs out of the room at once and killed them.
    EDIT - After finally clicking the link I found Norana's post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Norana View Post
    Soloed Library lvl 75 HM some time ago. It's pretty easy but involves a lot of kiting and it gets boring quickly. Haven't tried School but don't see it possible because the bosses got range attacks.
    So there's just a typo in the front page..
    Last edited by Tobex; Nov 22 2011 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobex View Post
    Stoneheight tier 2 (challenge)
    Splendid! Can you share any details of your strategy?

The traits I'm using is four yellow and three red.
    Red traits: Enduring morale, armour of song and light in the dark.
    Yellow traits: Smooth voice, glorious anthem, lyrics of bravery and the fourth doesn't really matter.
    The idea of this build is that you can do good dps in war-speech while getting both power and morale from the coda.
    This way you don't need to use potions or other healing skills. (5 seconds cooldown on anthems)
    That's a really interesting build. Do you miss the Unrelenting trait, or since most bosses are immune to stun, do you hardly notice it? I think I'm going to try this out!

So there's just a typo in the front page..
    Good catch! Fixed.

Splendid! Can you share any details of your strategy?
    Well I pop-up my bubble and hots at start of the fight. Keep running around, Call of the Second Age helps a bit. I have used a strategy to kill Bubhosh-grat first(whatever his name was), although Dale Truitt might be more ideal to kill first as when his corruption tiers up he gets more and more run speed.(?) Anyway I can be in war-speech all the time in my build, spam coda and use potions if need to. Dale won't stun unless bubhosh is dead except at the beginning.
    And remember to unslot herald's strike + cry of the valar if you want the challenge and extra 2000 destiny points.
    Might grab a video the next time I go there.

That's a really interesting build. Do you miss the Unrelenting trait, or since most bosses are immune to stun, do you hardly notice it? I think I'm going to try this out!
    Unrelenting is a good trait, but at the most bosses its completely useless. There are many good traits out there so I wouldn't waste a slot for a trait that is useful only when clearing unchallenging trash mobs.

I will not be able to play LOTRO for some hours and check it by myself, but how difficult is NCF solo? I have done SH EM yesterday and it wasn't that hard. Is NCF much harder? I would be mostly interesed in doing quickly first and second boss, for grinding necessary relics and runes. Any special tactics for them?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/20224000000100363/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Warden(85), Minstrel(85), Rune-Keeper(85), Burglar(85), Captain(85), Hunter(85)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast