We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Can Minstrels Wear Medium Armour?

Please excuse the question. I have a LvL 29 mini, but haven't really worked on it much for levelling, and it was only yesterday that I went back to it after so long. (just for a short while)

I'm very sure that at some point in the past, minstrels were able to wear medium armour.
    Mine is currently wearing light armour. So I went over to the minstrel trainer in the Prancing Pony in Breetown to see with the class trainer whether or not my mini could wear medium armour. But there was nothing there. :-/ (neither in the passive or skills section)

I'd chosen a piece of medium armour yesterday (top body part) as a reward from a quest I completed and found I couldn't wear it.
    I'd received an error message saying I wasn't proficient to wear it. :-/
    So I asked around in the advice channel, and got mixed replies from different players. 1 person said I could, another said I couldn't.... it had me confused. :-/

I joined a new kin with my mini, and 1 member said they would look it up for me.
    They told me I should have a trait slotted called "Armour Of Song"
    I do have this slotted, but still I cannot wear medium armour on my minnie. :-/

Is there anyone who can clarify for me (with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY) whether or not minnie's can wear medium armour please?
    I don't know whether I'm coming or going here with this.

And if they can't.... then when exactly was the game updated for them to NOT have this capability?
    I know for definite that they were able to waaaaayyyyy back.
    Last edited by pppppppp; Nov 16 2011 at 10:47 AM.

Re: Can Minstrels Wear Medium Armour?

You are absolutely correct: Minstrels did have a trait to let them equip medium armour until just recently. The release of Rise of Isengard changed that trait into Armour of Song, which does not let you equip medium armour but increases the total armour percentage. Now we can only use light armour.

RoI also brought a lot of other major changes to the minstrel class. You might want to take a look at the patch notes: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Patc...se_of_Isengard. The thread in this forum Visual Guide To Minstrels in Rise of Isengard also has a helpful, very thorough overview of the new minstrel.
    My characters are listed at my [url=http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User:Elinnea#LOTRO_Characters]lotro-wiki page[/url].

It's not such a bad thing. A lot of minstrels didn't use the Medium Armor trait anyway, since Medium armor was overwhelmingly designed to be used by the physical DPS classes, and there wasn't a lot of what we wanted on it, anyway.

It tended to be that starter mini's would use medium armour moving towards light armour as they progressed so as to make use of the bonuses on lighter armour which was more applicable than medium armour. The Isengard expansion ended all this.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130100000f3c41/signature.png]Foulgash[/charsig]

Question Re: Can Minstrels Wear Medium Armour?

Thank you for the very helpful replies.

From the replies here, it appears that minnies are no longer required to wear medium armour, simply because the bonuses and stats e.t.c were too overwhelming, right?

Personally I don't see what problem this would have in soloing, but in groups, they are always first and foremost used as healers at the back that medium armour wouldn't have any impact because they are not doing/taking any melee damage.
    Would this be another good reason why minnies shouldn't really be wearing medium armour too?

Quote Originally Posted by pppppppp View Post
    Thank you for the very helpful replies.

From the replies here, it appears that minnies are no longer required to wear medium armour, simply because the bonuses and stats e.t.c were too overwhelming, right?

Personally I don't see what problem this would have in soloing, but in groups, they are always first and foremost used as healers at the back that medium armour wouldn't have any impact because they are not doing/taking any melee damage.
    Would this be another good reason why minnies shouldn't really be wearing medium armour too?
    Orion's explaination of the change:

Re: Minstrel losing med armor - conversion to light with no equivalent compensation
    Armour of Song, the revised version of the medium armor trait, provides a 20% boost to all sources of armor. Any worn armor is increased by 20% and any armor from buffs is increased by 20%.

If players were using rather generic pieces with no regard for the stat bonuses that the armor supplied, then the new version of the trait will move their armor values right back up to near where it was before the change.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000008a315/01004/signature.png]Kyarra[/charsig]

In addition to:
    Cirra Ceemstress, 72 Hobbit Hunter
    Cyrawyn, 75 Woman Captain
    Keharra Thistleknott, 38 Hobbit Warden
    Kyari, 43 Elf Runekeeper
    Kyradriel, 37 Elf Loremaster
    Kyrafern, 29 Woman Champion
    Kyre Thistleknott, 29 Hobbit Burglar
    Keralin, 28 Hobbit Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by pppppppp View Post

Well in truth, medium armor was always useless for minstrels. Those who used the trait would claim to withstand more damage, but if you look at the numbers the difference was so small for most it made little real difference.

The only really good part with wearing medium, was if you found some piece of armor with "unique" stats compared to any of the light pieces you had at the time.

Only if you used full medium armor + improved tale of warding would you start to see a difference, and even then it would only be for common damage. All the (few) minstrels I ever saw using the medium armor trait, used it in their "DPS" builds. ie they did not use improved tale of warding with it - hence probably only got less then a 5 % bonus from it, to common mitigation.

The exception would, as I said, be if you found some stat not present on light armor. "x % chance to ignore x damage while taking common damage" is such a stat. I never, ever saw another minstrel using a piece like that (except my own minstrel, for various "bored" builds).

And though we got "compensated" with a trait with +20 % to armor, the cap cap isn't raised so we're still kept within light armor limits - a poor "compensation" in other words. That trait is fairly useless as well, unless you're doing something very special.
    [CENTER][SIZE="4"]♔[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]-----------------------------------------------------------
    Tarkrîp Chief says, ''I'll have your heart.''
    -----------------------------------------------------------[/CENTER]

Of course, we WARRIOR Skalds who wore medium armour FOR the melee stat bonuses get the shaft. AGAIN. Once again, someone telling me I have to play my character the way THEY want, but this time they can actually change the game to force it on me.

R.I.P NIDOR of Brandywine Server(1970-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    Of course, we WARRIOR Skalds who wore medium armour FOR the melee stat bonuses get the shaft. AGAIN. Once again, someone telling me I have to play my character the way THEY want, but this time they can actually change the game to force it on me.
    I dunno about you but when I trait armour of song I pretty much have the same armour value as a dual wielding guardian and better set bonuses for my class. So I may not be getting might or vitality but I am much much harder to hit and take a heck of a lot less damage.
    Lvl 75 Alts:Rosebelle Shouting it up Warden. Hollybelle Pew Pewing Hunter. Sillian Bear Hugging LM. Ecgiel Stone Collecting RK.
    Residing with the kettle on with The Lost Companions of Laurelin.

Thumbs up Re: Can Minstrels Wear Medium Armour?

Hey there!

Thought I would just share this tidbit of info with you guys. If you are a fashionista like me then you were probably horrified at not being able to use your medium armor on your mini for the look BUT you still can.

Put the item in your shared wardrobe slot, then from there you can drag it into your chosen outfit slot. You can dye it right in the wardrobe slot too it never leaves that place. Items in wardrobe have no restrictions on wearing them! I did this today myself so I know it works from experience!

Cheers!