We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Please put Lua Scripting changes into Release Notes

This is just a reminder to any Turbine employees that might be following this forum...

Please put Lua Scripting changes into the Release Notes!

There's a major change for Update 5 (Character Selection, Manage Plugins) that isn't in the Bullroarer release notes.

Re: Please put Lua Scripting changes into Release Notes

Oh wow just saw this on Bullroarer. Thank you!!

I think a lot more people will be willing to download plugins now that they're more properly integrated into the game.

Also, plz let us know (soon) how to add stuff to the options pane on the main menu. Thanks again,

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

A reminder that Bullroarer release notes, and everything on Bullroarer, are subject to change and should not be viewed as 'complete'. In point of fact we do put LUA notes in the final release notes when they are posted.

More so than communicating changes in release notes, I wish whoever at Turbine is working on the Lua stuff would start talking to plugin authors. We're almost completely in the dark, we don't know if anyone at Turbine has even ever read about all the issues that have been discussed here or on lotro-interface, we have no feedback from the "Future API Requests & Discussion" or "Current API Issues & Discussion" forums, pretty much never have, we don't know what's coming, what's being changed, how it's being changed, when it's being changed. Bit of a shame, ultimately we're writing code that improves the game experience of other Turbine customers and we don't bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Equendil View Post
    ...and we don't bite.
    Well, Gnash has been known to nibble on a hobbit or two, but it would certainly be more productive if we had some communication. Especially in terms of the current rash of client crash bugs that are giving Lua plugins a bad reputation. I was a wee bit sad to see Narrel post asking "what inventory bug" when we had been posting about it for half a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Equendil View Post
    More so than communicating changes in release notes, I wish whoever at Turbine is working on the Lua stuff would start talking to plugin authors. We're almost completely in the dark, we don't know if anyone at Turbine has even ever read about all the issues that have been discussed here or on lotro-interface, we have no feedback from the "Future API Requests & Discussion" or "Current API Issues & Discussion" forums, pretty much never have, we don't know what's coming, what's being changed, how it's being changed, when it's being changed. Bit of a shame, ultimately we're writing code that improves the game experience of other Turbine customers and we don't bite.
    For the most part, at least this was true when ForsakenArcher was working on it, and I've seen the new dev's name on there as well (at the time they weren't online), they'd be on LotROInterface's IRC channel #LotROUIDev.
    perhaps its worth checking out, as if the new dev handles things like FA did, then there's plenty of opportunity to bring up issues to them there.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    A reminder that Bullroarer release notes, and everything on Bullroarer, are subject to change and should not be viewed as 'complete'. In point of fact we do put LUA notes in the final release notes when they are posted.
    I was trying to say that even the plugin authors play on Bullroarer and many will play harder if they know about any changes to scripting. I think we all understand the "not complete" and the "subject to change" nature of Bullroarer but you don't have to wait until the final release notes to mention changes to Lua scripting!

We all want to make LotRO the best that it can be and in particular, the people that follow this forum are passionate about their work and do a pretty good job of finding and reporting things that might be fixable during the testing cycle, if they know to look.

Regards,

Brad