We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Looking for a healer?

I'm not sure if it's just me, or if other healers on the server feel the same way, but I have to put it out there to find out. . . I want everyone to realize this is not to be putting minnies against rks, both have their strong points AND both can heal quite well. That said, minnies and rks do not heal the same way-minnies are able to heal large amounts at one time, rks heal smaller amounts over time that add up (just for those that didn't know, believe me, they're out there). Neither class is capable of the impossible which is what some people seem to expect from them.

I have recently been in a raid where the leader (a minnie in the other group) told me I had to heal my group more. Sadly, I was sitting at less than 1/4 power because I had been healing my group (and the other group when needed). . . at least the ones I could reach. In my opinion, it is not a healers job to run around and heal people who are out of range, it cuts out time that can be used for inductions; therefore, less heals overall. If people want heals, they can move closer to the healer. If there is a reason for the healer to move, then by all means, move. . . but if it's to reach one or two people out of range because they can't keep with the group, it's up to those people to find their healer.

Also, there is an old myth, "if the group completes the instance, it's because they had a good tank. If the group wipes, it's because they had a bad healer." I've heard this since I started playing and I still can't believe it. I don't think the tank or the healer can be held fully responsible for how well or how poorly a group does. If the people in the group can't work together, it doesn't matter how good or bad anyone in the group is-nobody will live long enough to find out.

If for some reason anyone thinks I'm wrong on these points, please let me know. All advice is good advice if it's used wisely and it's always nice to learn something new. Who knows, maybe I missed something somewhere along the way.

Re: Looking for a healer?

From what I've heard and my own experience...

RK's are great at single-target healing....once attunement is built. Mini's are better spot healers because they have the big heals. Spreading RK heals around is not effective at all, though can be manageable. Both have pretty powerful group heals, as far as I know, but I only use one of them and the other is the 'oh s@#t' heal.

As far as movement, no. I don't know many reasonable raid leaders that expect the healers to move much unless it's absolutely called for and even then, you can only expect so much.

As far as what causes or who is to blame for wipes....generally speaking, a good healer can compensate for a lesser tank and vice versa. A good healer and good tank can compensate for lesser other classes. Any class can cause a wipe though. Anyone who is not doing their job is not helping the group in tough instances and raids will often = fail.

Edit - Oh, and RKs seem to have way better power management. I only say this because I rarely use much power at all healing and most Minis I know complain that it's been an ongoing issue with them.

I've always thought that an RK/mini team is the most effective healing duo.

RK's can keep there HoTs up while the mini's roll out their buffs. Very effective for keeping the entire raid at high morale.

RK's can keep the main tank and with practice main tank and off tank fully HoT'ed up. While Mini's look after any dps'er that cops a stray AoE/random aggro.

And when the you know what does hit the fanthe RK can pop a shield/group shield, and start on the group HoT's, while the mini goes in for the lifesaving, OMG you saved my skin heals.

The RK/Mini healing is built to complement each other, and is really easy to see when you have been working with someone of the other class for a while.

/agree with Merlin. An RK - Mini duo that know how each other works is a healing machine.

There is a serious lack of cappy love in this thread.

cappy heals = awesome
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320201000044d2cf/signature.png]Tronsaw[/charsig]
    [B]Crickhollow[/B] Tron- r7 EZmode Champ Minitron-65 Minstrel, Spidertron r6 weaver
    [B]Brandywine[/B] Tronsaw r8 Freaver [B]TWKSL[/B]

The way I look at it is that each member of the group has a responsibility. If that player fails to fulfil their duty to the group dynamic then they are the reason the group failed. No player has the responsibility to pick up the slack generated by another player. Some people are able to and can do this and they are heroes. It is the healer's duty to the group to ensure the tank is healed and no player dies. It is the tanks job to control the aggro of mobs and protect the group. It is DPS's job to kill the mobs and to ensure they don't pull mobs off the tank. It is supports job to do just that, support the whole group with their skill set. Sometimes depending on class you'll have alternate additional tasks and duties to the team. For instance as a champ it is my duty to ensure that any mobs that the tanks miss don't make it to the healer. I am always to do what I can to die before the healer. If I as the DPS dies then the instance just takes longer. If the healer dies we wipe. The entire team succeeds or fails an instance. The team must understand their respective duties and the way they interact with each other. All classes bring something valuable to the fight and it is the duty of all team members to understand the respective strengths and weakness of their team-mates. Understanding the way classes interact and each respective player's abilities allows for the team as a whole to cancel out each other's weaknesses and capitalize on success leading to synergistic effects.

I wish I had a dime for every time someone assumed the healer wasn't "healing enough," (really? What do you think I'm doing, filing my nails?) when in fact someone, or a group of someones, were in fact ignoring encounter mechanics and thus taking way too much damage. When devs design encounters with specific mechanics they want players to use (i.e., "don't stand in the poo"), they enforce it by making the penalty of ignoring the mechanic so severe that no healer can reasonably be expected to heal through it. With a little bit of research and practice your group should learn the mechanics and reduce their own damage taken to an acceptable amount, that your healer CAN keep up with.

Long story short - if you are tempted to blame your healer, look again. Chances are you are taking too much damage and need to change your strategy.

most of the time (not every) if a group wipes because of a lack in heals, it isnt because your healer did do their job. Its due to somebody else causing something unexpected (like breaking a mez for example). I have to agree with everyone here, that an RK/mini together is amazing, BUT even if you had the best RK/Mini/Capt's in game, there are still things that can wipe your group if everyone doesnt work together or follow instruction
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000069a14/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Crickhollow:
    *Ellannore - 75 Minstrel*.*Ellowin - 75 Hunter*.*Sneaker - 68 Burglar*
    *Adawinn - 75 Lore Master*.*Arrawin - 55 Captain*

Windfola:
    *Ellowin - 65 Hunter (retired)*.*Emmawin - 65 Minstrel (retired)*

I do agree that everyone in a group has a job to do. I myself have been in groups where either one or a few players are not doing their job. It's makes for a REALLY tough group. But, there have been many instances where somehow we've survived. So I will say this, a great healer can deal with the unexpected pulls and such if they are really paying attention to what is going on.

Totally agree Serephine.

Its times like those that I love crit heals.

I apologise for the lack of cappy love, considering I have run with some of the best cappies on the server I should know better.

tsk tsk merlin

Captains aren't really noticed in a group because they are a support group. They just make the whole group more awesome all around. It isn't like tanking, healing, dps, or CC where you can see the effect. It just makes things go smoother. Which makes captains awesome. Please give me more crit buffs please. I love captains so much.

I do not yet play either healer or tank in group settings (though I have both) and I've always gone by the myth that if the tank dies -first-, it is the healer's fault, if the healer dies -first- it is the tank's fault, and if anyone else dies first (i.e., myself and the rest of the dps) it is their own fault. Though it's much easier to go with 'Ouch, that sucked, how can we do better?' as opposed to 'This wouldnt happen if you didn't suck as a DPS/heals/tank/buff...'

People blame healers for wipes? I thought we all agreed to blame Hunters for those. :P
    [b][SIZE=3][COLOR="#FFFFFF"]Cainwen Ciaphas[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][COLOR="#C3C3C3"], Captain of Crickhollow, [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/CiaphasCain]HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH[/url]!!!
    [i]I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered![/i] My opinions are my own![/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor38 View Post
    Captains aren't really noticed in a group because they are a support group. They just make the whole group more awesome all around. It isn't like tanking, healing, dps, or CC where you can see the effect. It just makes things go smoother. Which makes captains awesome. Please give me more crit buffs please. I love captains so much.
    aside from those crit buffs... when the healer is having a hard time or a bad pull happens, it's up to the cappy to notice and compensate. increase heals by 20%, reduce group damage, add his own group-wide heals , switch to noble mark, etc. make sure the healer has power with song brother...

i'd say if healing is a problem, see if your cappy can do something to help. - M.

ps - like the other posters.. doesn't matter how good your group is individually.. if you aren't playing together as a group or if you're playing the encounter poorly.. you are going to wipe.
    Last edited by Meagh; Nov 08 2011 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meagh View Post
    aside from those crit buffs... when the healer is having a hard time or a bad pull happens, it's up to the cappy to notice and compensate. increase heals by 20%, reduce group damage, add his own group-wide heals , switch to noble mark, etc. make sure the healer has power with song brother...

i'd say if healing is a problem, see if your cappy can do something to help. - M.
    Is there any limit to the awesomeness of captains? I swear captains are amazing. I want to group with five champs and a captain and just watch as the awesomeness of the death machine tears through everything. Heals, buffs, damage, and survivability. Captains are the man.

> Is there any limit to the awesomeness of captains?

*makes note to give Aridor the blade brother buff...

Thanks everybody for the input, it is much appreciated to know how others feel on this.

There was not intended to be a lack of love for cappies in this thread, they are awesome!