We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Houses everywhere

Hi there!

Simple question here, and maybe I'm a simple mind, but:

Could we think about building houses in major cities in the future?

I mean, buy a house in Bree, Hobbiton, Rivendell, or any spot in the game where we can see and talk to citizens. If there is citizens, there is daily life, housekeeping, buying food and all this stuff....

Can we expect living with the real citizen of Middle-Earth, someday? Or are we doomed to those ghettos...

Just wandering...

Re: Houses everywhere

iam just thinking about the same thing, i mean why dont the houses exist out of the Homestad?

now a kin could own a house for exemple in the failds of bree or somewhere near it and the kin house there would cost atleast 70 Gold, may be!

me and others in my kin thought that it would be cool if we can own a full neighborhood for the kin and turbine could put a good price on such think which all the kin need to pay for, like +100 Gold or more!

The main problem with that is they'd be in such popular demand that there wouldn't ever be enough for everyone on a single server. Sounds fantastic though.

The other issue is that you end up with the SWG ghettos unless Turbine uses a instance technology where everybody opens the same door in Bree. Goes thru the portal to their own personal copy of the house.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

The very first MMO I played, old Anarchy Online, had housing system entrances located in so called backyards. Backyards were fairly populated because they had banks, transplant clinics and were low gas zone (giving a PvP safe zone to run to from the city). Once one would "buy" apartment one would get their own instanced copy that could be entered only by a key owner and members of their group/raid.
    Exiting the apartment would bring you to another instance filled up with players twinking, sorting banks, running away from tougher opponent or just sitting around and chatting. Very different from LotRO empty neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by CFury View Post
    The very first MMO I played, old Anarchy Online, had housing system entrances located in so called backyards. Backyards were fairly populated because they had banks, transplant clinics and were low gas zone (giving a PvP safe zone to run to from the city). Once one would "buy" apartment one would get their own instanced copy that could be entered only by a key owner and members of their group/raid.
    Exiting the apartment would bring you to another instance filled up with players twinking, sorting banks, running away from tougher opponent or just sitting around and chatting. Very different from LotRO empty neighborhoods.
    As an "old Anarchy Onliner", I agree that it was the single best thing in their housing system.

Also the ability to drop stuff on the floor and that they remained there made decoration quite interesting. I myself grinded yellow rubber ducks from Halloween, and decorated my Deluxe apartment with them. Almost 100 ducks in my big swimming pool always made me smile when I got there.
    Even though throwing things out from inventory and hoping they land to the right spot the right way around (it took me a whole week to get them just right) was a bit frustrating, it still was better than the placement in LotRO by a huge margin.

The instancing for the apartments right from the commonly used backyards (which actually were the original "new player zones" in the game, and in turn were placed around all cities in the game) was very nice indeed.
    Bravery calls my name, in the sound of the wind in the night. My sword will drink blood, and I will fight, yes I will fight, in the Dawn of Battle!
    - Manowar, Dawn of Battle

Quote Originally Posted by Henshaw135 View Post
    Even though throwing things out from inventory and hoping they land to the right spot the right way around (it took me a whole week to get them just right) was a bit frustrating, it still was better than the placement in LotRO by a huge margin.
    Now that was fun and beat hook system by a mile. I cant tell how many times I ended with the table growing out of the wall instead of being placed in the corner. Made for some crazy decorations as well

Considering that AO is one of the oldest MMOs out there, certainly a lot older than LotRO, I dont believe there is some special coding used to make housing without the annoying hooks possible. So I am sure it could be changed, if only Turbine would care.

Thumbs up Re: Houses everywhere

This would be awesome!

Thumbs down Re: Houses everywhere

Keep housing areas instanced please! ><

On many games, I've seen people totally wreck areas due to housing being placed in the normal playing areas. Some games allowed you to add unique yard items and people just junked up their yards to look as run-down as possible. One virtual world "game" called There allowed unlimited placement of content on the users' property space which devolved into gaudy trash-ridden slums. One person's trashy property is another person's in-your-face-pride-and-joy! -(

I understand if the game was coded like Star Wars Galaxies where player-created towns were encouraged. But this is Sparta...er... LOTRO! -)

TQQdles™,

Dolnor Numbwit
    Eternal Newbie
    Satine's Web Browser
    Φ 3.4 GHz i7-2600 • 8 Gigs DDR3-1333 Memory • ATI HD6770 • 768K DSL Broadband • 2x500gig RAID0 Storage • RealTek Integrated 5.1 Digital Audio • Windows 7 Home Premium • Dell 2410 24" LCD Monitor Φ[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000020d1/01007/signature.png]Dolnor[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The other issue is that you end up with the SWG ghettos unless Turbine uses a instance technology where everybody opens the same door in Bree. Goes thru the portal to their own personal copy of the house.
    the realy good thing about SWG housing or aliance (or what ever they called it) housing was the ability to sell items via NPC's even the alliance house had space for members to sell via their NPC's which made some of the housing areas less of a dead zone than lotro.. oh and the housing wasnt instanced either. it was a case of find a spot and dump your house or bunker where ever you wanted within your aliances area

Quote Originally Posted by CFury View Post
    Considering that AO is one of the oldest MMOs out there, certainly a lot older than LotRO, I dont believe there is some special coding used to make housing without the annoying hooks possible. So I am sure it could be changed, if only Turbine would care.
    ive never understood why they never used AO type housing either. theres plenty of houses within the main towns which could be instanced like AO..
    but the item placement in lotro requires less data storage. way i see it AO and IIRC SWG require(d) more data for storage in housing ie instance (and excluding SWG's house placement), house, item, X,Y,Z location... lotro requiers a little less. just house, item and hook.. although its a only lacking 2 columns of info it requires a lot less storage space on the servers even hooks can be limited to a 2 digit number which deffinatly requires less storage space, it sucks but there you go.. and assuming theyre using SQL to store data then each time an item is added, removed or moved the amount storage space increases at least temporarily

iirc with data storage its a case of guessing a number and tripple it. base figure for each server shard may be arround 10,000 people X at most 15(?) tooons X the amount of data required for each toon (bags, vault space, wardrobe, equiped items, housing etc, etc) X 3 X the number of shards..
    unfortuatly its a case of less space you have to provide per person the cheaper it is to run the service
    Last edited by Finglonger_UK; Feb 19 2012 at 04:06 PM.
    [CENTER][URL="http://mpws.guildlaunch.com/"][U][SIZE=3]Mischievous Pipe-Weed Smokers[/SIZE][/U][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] Blissfully smoking pipe-weed together on [I]Snowbourn[/I] since 14/04/07[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]spend all day smoking pipeweed and dreaming of gold[/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://mpws.guildlaunch.com/recruiting/create_apply.php?gid=163438"]JOIN US[/URL][/CENTER]

I would definitely like to see a move from suburban homesteads into the major hubs.

They could do it very similar to homesteads except smaller.
    Bree for example could easily have 5 different instances which could contain housing.
    1- Entrance from Beggars Alley
    2- Entrance from Jasmines Garden (or nearby)
    3- Entrance from Scholars Walk
    4- Entrance from Cat Lady's house (towards the prancing Pony)
    5- Entrance from The farming area just south of North Gate

Smaller instanced areas with entrances from pre-existing hubs would probably be good for both the hubs and the housing instances.

Last edited by Spordo; Feb 19 2012 at 06:18 PM.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0100002292c3/signature.png]Nagslime[/charsig]
    [B]R.I.P Mom! - March 09, 2012[/B][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Finglonger_UK View Post
    the realy good thing about SWG housing or aliance (or what ever they called it) housing was the ability to sell items via NPC's even the alliance house had space for members to sell via their NPC's which made some of the housing areas less of a dead zone than lotro
    To me this is a undesirable feature. You have to travel to visit the store. I want everything available via a common sales interface.
    .. oh and the housing wasnt instanced either. it was a case of find a spot and dump your house or bunker where ever you wanted within your aliances area
    Another undesirable feature because the landscape is cluttered with all the player facilities.
    ive never understood why they never used AO type housing either. theres plenty of houses within the main towns which could be instanced like AO..
    Our housing system is a port the existing Turbine housing system used in Asheron's Call. In Asheron's Call Turbine had the SWG ghettos. There were dozens of these manually constructed housing communities all over the landscape by Turbine designers. For us Turbine did four communities out of the dozens in Asheron's Call. Used Instance tech to copy each of the four masters.

You asked about hooking stuff. It is done this way because it is a game architecture requirement. The physical location of every object is hard coded. The x, y and z have to be set manually by the designers before game software (load is built). There is no possibility of putting an apple on a table unless a developer hard coded in a fruit hook with the correct x, y and z coordinates before the load was built. That why some decoraton do not look right. You open the hook, insert the item into the fixed location in the landscape. They rendering engine composes a frame using the art assets and the clipping rules.

Turbine would not use a floor hook and a fruit hook. You could choose to hook the apple. Not put in the table. You have a floating fruit in your house. Objects are always put on or attached to permanent pieces of your house. Or carefully checked to see that they clip correctly like a bed and rug. I've seen some interesting combos with the paired floor hooks. The wet bear rug in the pool.

Since a large number of the assets are not operated by the physic engine you do not get the drop into place behavior like you do in a game like Skyrim. If a designer codes in a bee hive with the proper x and z. Y is six feet above the ground. The beehive will be in your face or above you. They set Y to six feet underground. You can see the dot on the farming tracker. You can see the hive because it is underground. You can not pick it up.

We can not have dynamic housing because the fixed nature of game software. The best they could do is use rendering tech and some other tricks to make already existing options appear, disappear and or become passable. You see this behavior in action with the housing chests.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Feb 19 2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

IMHO, a really simple, yet really nice thing turbine could do is putting the Homestead in the city, instead of outside. simply put a portal that open the same housing istances.
    Maybe put the portal somewhere between the bank, the auctioner and other crowded areas.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000000d57f0/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Have smaller rental apartments in the cities. Entering from the same door then makes perfect sense, and it doesn't clutter the existing landscape.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000002f807/01008/signature.png]Hrodberht[/charsig]

Lightbulb Re: Houses everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Hrodberht View Post
    Have smaller rental apartments in the cities. Entering from the same door then makes perfect sense, and it doesn't clutter the existing landscape.
    I totally wholeheartily support this great idea! -)
    Φ 3.4 GHz i7-2600 • 8 Gigs DDR3-1333 Memory • ATI HD6770 • 768K DSL Broadband • 2x500gig RAID0 Storage • RealTek Integrated 5.1 Digital Audio • Windows 7 Home Premium • Dell 2410 24" LCD Monitor Φ[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000020d1/01007/signature.png]Dolnor[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Hrodberht View Post
    That's what EQ2 has and it's FANTASTIC. This way, they never run out of a size of housing.