We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Copying Keybindings to Other Characters?

Hello,

How do I copy my key bindings from one character to another?

I have 2 minstrels and have made significant changes to the key bindings in one and would like to copy them to my other character. Manually entering all the changes seems to take a long time and does not ensure 100% accuracy. Also, future changes to one can subsequently be copied to the other in a timely manner.

Is there a file somewhere? I've already looked at the lotro.keymap file and that is obviously just the key mapping for all characters and not the actual key bindings them self.

Thanks for everyone's help! =)

Re: Copying Keybindings to Other Characters?

There is two kinds of key bindings:

1) The permanent key bindings which can not changed.

2) The key bindings that are in the lotro keymap file which are shared by all characters.

The UI settings are stored on the server. They are character specific. You can use the UI load and save commands to copy some of this information to your PC. Load it to a different character.

The UI settings contains information like what skill is in each quick slot. The colors and sizes for chat text. The locations of UI elements on the screen. The aliases for each character.

Note: Not all the character specific setting stored on the server can be exported or imported via the UI load and save commands. For the settings that are not supported you will have to manually set them for each character.

For example, the skills that go in a quick slot are not exported and imported. The locations of the bars on the screen are.

it is easy for me to rearrange the quick bars. I do not have to worry about blowing up the skills assignment to the slots. The skills for my Champion are not the same as the skills for my Hunter. If I had to two Hunters - there is no way to share the skill placement between the two Hunters.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Nov 04 2011 at 05:34 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I suspect what the user is refering to is actually 'quickslot bar' order, which unfortunately, isn't transferable except manually.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    I suspect what the user is refering to is actually 'quickslot bar' order, which unfortunately, isn't transferable except manually.
    If this is the case, take a screenhot and open the game in windowed mode. This way you can see the bars bars from the screenshot and copy that into game on your other character.

Actually I was referring to the hot-keys them self lol. Sorry if I was unclear about that. Here is an example:

I set F as heal on Minstrel #1. Instead of going to Minstrel #2 > options > key bindings, and setting F as heal for him as well, I was wondering if there was an easier way of transferring that hot-key such as finding the actual hot-key/key binding file somewhere on the computer and copying the text over to the other minstrel.

It is in the lotro keymap file. Here is one entry.
    QUICKSLOT_1 [ Old [ 0 DIK_1 ] ]

Once you change it for one character. It should change for all characters assuming you exit normally and the keymap file is saved.

Edit is manually save a copy. You can foul it up real easily.

You have to put the heal skill manually in same slot for both characters. You assign F to quickslot 1. In order for that to be Bolster Courage - you have to drop Bolster Courage into slot 1 for both Minstrels.

Note: It may not be possible to assign F to a quick slot because of the way the slots are laid out. It might result in F, Alt-F, Cntl-F because the quickslots are accessed via a two key combo. A shift function to select the bar and a second key to select the position on that bar.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Nov 04 2011 at 08:01 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I have 2 level 75 mini's and your keys will stay they same for both toons if you key map off your quick slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm429 View Post
    I have 2 level 75 mini's and your keys will stay they same for both toons if you key map off your quick slots.
    Ah, very nice. You are correct! Thanks for clearing that up for me. =)