We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Let me get this straight - how big are people's head in Middle Earth?

So if you kill an Ox or Cow, you get 0-2 Large Hides.

The description of Large Hide reads : "A large, fully intact hide of a fearsome beast".

It takes 8 Large Hides to make 1 Finished Leather, so 4-8 Oxen or Cows.

It takes 3 Finished Leather to make one Rider Helmet, so 12-24 Oxen or Cows.

Aren't the devs just on the side of ridiculous while making this particular resource sink? Just how big are people's head in middle earth?

Re: Let me get this straight - how big are people's head in Middle Earth?

I see what you are talking about. My thought is that the leather/helmet is made up of layers, making a thick piece of leather that actually might protect you. But I may be wrong.
    Proud member of Reflections of the Light on Gladden.

I'm sure its layered too. But there is no way you can layer 12-24 cows' worth of leather on anyone's head lol. Not even one cow I'm sure.

Perhaps the rumors about a cooperation between Turbine and Zynga and a merge of Lotro and Farmville are true. Then it would make sense
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]"HELP!!!!??"[/COLOR] is not an appropriate thread title.
    Only fools use [COLOR="#FF0000"]apostrophes[/COLOR] in a plural. That's when they're called fool's apostrophes.

The list of absurdities - total surreal absurdities - (as well as outright wrong stuff) in the crafting recipes for every craft is nearly as long as the total list of recipes.

Anyone who knows *anything* about real handcrafts, from mining to cooking to tailoring could design a system that regardless of the machine mechanics looked better than what they made. I can only think that a city person who had never been outside the town limits and thinks that meat comes from supermarkets and spaghetti comes from trees was put to work doing the crafting recipes.

Btw, for a laugh, google "spaghetti comes from trees" and look for the old april fools newscast from *italy*.

Tailoring is a goldsink, always was, always will be. Only reason I got to tier 6 in the first place is because I have so many alts who donate all their leather. After tier 3, it's either buy overpriced leather on AH, or lose your mind grinding the local wildlife. I'm not surprised they upped the ante with Isengard. I'm just thankful that one of my characters has uncanny lottery luck, so I can keep dumping money into the hide industry.

Let's face it, crafting is the most unrealistic and badly designed part of the game. I only use it to gain the craft xp so I can make an occassional bit of armour for my chars and basically write the crafting system off as useless for 90% of the time in game.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyCalavera View Post
    Tailoring is a goldsink, always was, always will be. Only reason I got to tier 6 in the first place is because I have so many alts who donate all their leather. After tier 3, it's either buy overpriced leather on AH, or lose your mind grinding the local wildlife. I'm not surprised they upped the ante with Isengard. I'm just thankful that one of my characters has uncanny lottery luck, so I can keep dumping money into the hide industry.
    Actually...a large part of successful hide collection without going out of your mind is knowing what to kill where. The ideal location is one with a fast spawn of a single mob type with a reasonably reliable hide drop rate. There are certainly excellent places to "farm" T3, T4, T6, and T7 hides. T5 is a bit of a problem.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Fun thread. No, it makes no sense. But does it make sense that you have to kill 6 oxes to obtain 6 pieces of ox meat? No, it does not. One ox would be more than enough to provide the meat. But it's a game, keeping us busy.

It isn't very realistic as well that you can jump of a cliff with your horse and only getting a temporary speed penalty. In reality you and/or your horse would have broken bones or die instantly.
    Aranimda, L80 Elven Hunter, Evernight.
    1 Twinfall Path, Norrant, Falathlorn Homesteads.

~lol!~ Great post - my frustration as well.

There are certainly excellent places to "farm" T3, T4, T6, and T7 hides. T5 is a bit of a problem.
    T3: Aurauchs outside estedlion, 2-3 peices apeice and if you outlevel by more than 5 levels a joke to grind through, by 75 you cna kill them faster than they spawn.

T4: Bears down near Ost Forod in evendim.

T5: Aurauchs in foroschel, 2 good concentrations, lots of hides, but you really need to be 65+ for fast kiling here.

T6: This is the tough one these days, they nerfed the hell out of the concentrations in early moria of deep claws and the latter T6 only really has the boars in early mirkwood to work on.

T7: several good concentrations, notably the boars just outside galtrev.

Yeah, this stuff is never "realistic", it's going to be set up in a way that is almost... metaphorical... in the way you collect things and advance.

Collect spider eyes. Great, spiders have eight eyes, this should be easy... but apparently I destroy seven in the process of killing a spider, and get one eye per kill.

Farming. Seriously? What do you mean mint is harder to grow than taters? Have you ever actually grown mint in real life? It's harder to NOT grow mint.
    Landroval: Ardgytha/Cap - Burnet/Guard - Fernwithy/Burg - Maethanir/Hunt
    Elendilmir: Mithildir/Guard - Finnur/Champ - Sweetbriar/Hunt

TV Tropes has an awesome discussion on these kinds of things, although it's more about the fact that you should get four hooves for every boar you kill...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...wentyBearAsses
    Landroval: Ardgytha/Cap - Burnet/Guard - Fernwithy/Burg - Maethanir/Hunt
    Elendilmir: Mithildir/Guard - Finnur/Champ - Sweetbriar/Hunt

Of course if they start adjusting material requirements based on the relative size of the armour piece, then they also need to make different ones for the races. A hobbit could make a full set out of the same amount of material a Man needs for a chest piece.