We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Raven or Bear ?

Raven or Bear ?

Hi everyone !

I'm a Lore Master, when i started my adventures i could summon a Raven, and now i can summon a Bear, so i assumed that the Bear is a stronger ally than the Raven because i got the skill later on, but am i right in this ?

When i summon my Raven now, i dont really feel that he's weaker than my Bear, so ... which one should i choose ?

Thanx
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000002044d8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Raven or Bear ?

Go here: http://www.lotroinfo.com/lore-master_pets

It explains much about pets.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000266de/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Crickhollow- Erian - Female Hunter
    [INDENT] Woldenskir - Dwarf Guardian[/INDENT]
    [INDENT] Epigaea - Hobbit Minstrel[/INDENT]

Oh, very interesting link, thanx

So basically any animal that we summon is gonna grow in power just as we do, the Raven doesnt get "stuck" at his early levels then ? I didnt know that, that's cool !!

And it seems that we can get new companions like the Lynx or the Eagle, i cant wait for that !!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000002044d8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

That is a pretty good guide, it was written in 2008, but most of the information is not out of date. One glaring mistake is the absence of the Bog-guardian, another pet you can get from a legendary trait. But you won't have to worry about that untill level 58.

You should check the loremaster sub-forums here, http://forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay...0-Lore-masters There should be a few threads on pets.
    [i]From the smallest blade of grass to the largest mountain, where life goes, so too should you.[/i]

Raven, until you get your lynx.
    Then you'll be using your lynx 95% of the time, and the Raven the other 5%, for shadow mitigation and fire debuff.

Sure, you can play around with the others, but these two are the best, bar none. The bog lurker is nice, but not worth having to trait 5 blue.
    [CENTER][FONT=book antiqua][B]Maradie Dyer[/B]
    [I]Mythgard
    [/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
    Hoc est quo deum antecedatis:
    ille extra patientiam malorum est, vos supra patientiam.

My 62 LM still uses her Lynx. Keep in mind that you can name your pets also.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Use Raven til Lv30, then use Lynx for trash mobs, Raven only for tougher mobs. Then around Lv50 switch back to Raven (unless you want to use the Eagle). From there until Lv75 it's a mix of Raven/Eagle/Bog/Bear/Lynx, depending on the situation.

But please never, EVER use a Lynx in groups. It pains me to still see some LMs doing this. It is a USELESS pet for grouping, the Raven is so much better for groups, heck, even the Bear is.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    But please never, EVER use a Lyx in groups. It pains me to still see some LMs doing this. It is a USELESS pet for grouping, the Raven is so much better for groups, heck, even the Bear is.
    I disagree, while it's not the most used pet I have, there are group situations where it's fine.

I only ever use the Raven for its' Shadow Mitigation (its ability to interfere with ranged attackers is something I prefer to manage with Blinding Flash) and its fire-damage boost really is pretty 'meh'.

The Bear is my most used for general group and raiding when Shatter Arms is more desired than other pet skills.

The Lynx though is not without its uses, it has good spike damage and at pinch can off-tank if its initial attack lands, that said I'm not saying I use it a lot, but all our pets have their place, even the Sabretooth!

The sabertooth is for casual groups as it has the most AoE attacks by default. Just right click them so that they autofire all the time, set the pet to autoattack everything it sees, grab a tank who enjoys rushing from fight to fight, then jump in and wham, bam, the instance is over.

Only caveats, if your tank can't quite hold aggro, use the bear for the 10 second force taunt. If you're fighting dead things, use the raven for the Shadow damage mitigation as that's likely the type of damage they'll be tossing out (check the combat log, though, if it's all common damage go back to the sabertooth). In a casual group you'll be too busy feeding power, buffing/debuffing, and generally just dpsing to be micromanaging your pet, so grab the one that does the most damage to groups.
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back. He kept the pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    In a casual group you'll be too busy feeding power, buffing/debuffing, and generally just dpsing to be micromanaging your pet, so grab the one that does the most damage to groups.
    In that sort of group I'll sometimes run the Eagle, every drop of ICPR is worth its' weight in gold, and I have my own personal rez. when things go pear-shaped.

Each pet is useful depending on the situation. Ask 5 LMs what their go-to pet is and you can get 5 different answers. I still use my bear at level 67, because I have evolved into a play-style that fits me. Usually solo or in 3-mans. Even so I have and use all my pets depending on other situations.

So it could be Raven or Bear at this stage for you. Find the one you like the best with how you attack, and what tasks you need to do. I would suggest working both of them to discover each ones strengths and weaknesses.

I would suggest getting a bear-cub talisman too.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotlbeme View Post
    Each pet is useful depending on the situation. Ask 5 LMs what their go-to pet is and you can get 5 different answers.
    Yeah that's what it seems from the different answers above
    But they're interesting to read, this way i see different points of view !
    I think i'll stay with my Raven for now then, i named him "Nehemah" and i really like how he's flying to my ennemies to defend me, and then i'll probably switch to the Lynx and then the Eagle !
    Anyway, thank youy everyone for sharing your thoughts on this

the raven is not just for shadow mitigation... it's for tactical mitigation...

anyway, I'm at lvl 19 myself, but I tend to use the bear more... it keeps attention on itself fairly well, and you can buy bear food from the class trainer already, so it is the stronger of the two pets for me, at this time...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140100000b9311/signature.png]Mavirthael[/charsig]

6 Chestnut Street, Branway, Breeland, Crickhollow

The bear is an excellent solo pet. It stuns, removes armor, and can grab aggro should you need to flee. I have my pets set to auto-use skills. Read the above link to pets to find out what that means. Other pets have very specific uses.

The Sabre-tooth cat is a good aoe pet when dealing with groups of mobs. Trait to dps (red line), then the two of you make short work at close range of most threats.

The Raven is excellent vs undead, due to fire debuff and the LM fire skills, plus shadow mitigation.

The Lynx is fine for when you need a burst of dps on an elite solo mob, but it's staying power is low, so plan on grabbing aggro fast from it; once it's in plain site, it's just not as effective.

The Eagle is just a rez pet, use it up instead of using up your revive, and that's not worth much either, the legendary trait can be put to much better use IMO.

The Bog-guardian is a good pet, but requires a class focus out of dps, and makes for long fights while you balance your debuff and pet healing.

The Limfran from ROI is a joke, avoid it like you would a door-to-door salesman. If instead of the group heal when sacrificed it rezzed, it might be worth something.

Like others have said, try it and see what works for you as you will never get 2 LM's to agree let alone thousands.

For my play style from low level to 65 cap I went Crow to Bear then Bog-Guardian, only using the Lynx when Deed farming or doing epics. Mainly at low levels you need a pet tank to survive a fight, but once you hit about level 28ish you can start Tanking your self when soloing.

So once 28+ the choice for me was the Bear which can hold agro well enough or the Crow which what no-one has mentioned yet flanks a lot more than the Bear, which you need to heal your self if tanking. Flanking is what the Bog-Guardian excels at, easily flanking 2-4 times during a fight, plus it has a default ranged attack so its not going to run up to a set of mobs and Pull the lot.

One pet I avoided completely was the Saber, personally I found it useless. All its special attacks are aoe, so if you have to crowd control in a fellowship or solo that is the last thing you need.

Flanking is achieved more easily by placing yourself opposite the pets position vs the mob. That is what the term flanked means. I've never seen any problems with flanking when my pet is behind the mob and I'm in front, regardless of what pet I use.

flanked past participle, past tense of flank (Verb)

Verb:
    1. Be situated on each side of or on one side of (someone or something).
    2. Guard or strengthen (a military force or position) from the side: "flanking towers".

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin_Eldar View Post
    I disagree, while it's not the most used pet I have, there are group situations where it's fine.

I only ever use the Raven for its' Shadow Mitigation (its ability to interfere with ranged attackers is something I prefer to manage with Blinding Flash) and its fire-damage boost really is pretty 'meh'.
    The Raven gives Tactical Mitigation since RoI, roughly adding 5% to Shadow/Fire/Acid/Frost/Lightning in the fellowship. Plus it flanks the most out of all the non-legendary pets.
    Personally I often go DPS traited unless there's a proper raid, hence no BF.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    Use Raven til Lv30, then use Lynx for trash mobs, Raven only for tougher mobs. Then around Lv50 switch back to Raven (unless you want to use the Eagle). From there until Lv75 it's a mix of Raven/Eagle/Bog/Bear/Lynx, depending on the situation.

But please never, EVER use a Lynx in groups. It pains me to still see some LMs doing this. It is a USELESS pet for grouping, the Raven is so much better for groups, heck, even the Bear is.
    AT end game levels, Moria and beyond, I find the Bog Guardian or the Bear, some times ol' Snaggle tooth ( all three to tank), to be the best for soloing. For grouping, your pet will depend on the content, but I find, in order of what I use, Bog Guardian (Ranged, flanks and pulling), Bear (Tanking and taking agro off of me or the healer), Eagle (Power regen and Fan the Flames), Raven (Shadow Defense and flanks) I use most often and maybe the Wisp (Healing).

After you get dual wield, Staff and Sword, and you have LIs, make sure your LI staff has -5 on Staff Strike cool down, use the Bog Guardian for the Flanks. Flanks and Staff Strike every 5 seconds is really a good thing, smack a 12 or 20K mob for 2k+ a couple of times after you have ran your debuffs and while loading your DoTs, plus the ranged damage from boggy makes for some very short fights.
    Ujest - 105 Lore-master, Opun - 76 Warden, Cneasai - 39 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)