We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Recipe drops

Recipe drops

I have a question for some of the longer term players. I played for a few months last year on Withywindle, and have just recently returned to play on Snowbourn. I'm on a premium account and started up some new alts.

One thing I have noticed and have to ask about is that in the 3 or so weeks I've been back playing, I've noticed recipe drops just seem to be the same drops over and over. I've just started some new chars (with starting on a new server) and have been round and round with my alts but it appears, to me anyway, that recipe drops are very limited to the types that drop, and I'm convinced now some will probably never drop. I've even tried the AH's, but these recipes are non-existant.

I have to ask if this is a policy of turbines to try to coerce you into spending TP's on recipes? If any of you older players have noticed this?

Perhaps I need to play for longer, but the amount of recipes I have gotten that are just duplicates of the same recipes, and the ones i do need not dropping is getting a little beyond coincidental IMO.

I'm pretty positive that last year the alts I had on Withywindle had their full range of lower lvl crafting recipes all in place really early on. Perhaps because I was a VIP back then too.

Have any of you older players noticed changes like this since turbine took over from codemasters?

Thanks.

Re: Recipe drops

Quote Originally Posted by vestan27 View Post
    I've noticed recipe drops just seem to be the same drops over and over. I've just started some new chars (with starting on a new server)... and I'm convinced now some will probably never drop.
    Odd.

I have to ask if this is a policy of turbines to try to coerce you into spending TP's on recipes? If any of you older players have noticed this?
    Nope and nope.

Perhaps I need to play for longer, but the amount of recipes I have gotten that are just duplicates of the same recipes, and the ones i do need not dropping is getting a little beyond coincidental IMO.
    Welcome to the nature of random rolls-- each future roll is disconnected from previous rolls. Flipping 10 coins has no bearing on the odds of the 11th coin being heads.

Have any of you older players noticed changes like this since turbine took over from codemasters?

Thanks.
    Nope.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Lime]Have Questions? Get the Answers Here![/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=Green][I]The Answers to Your Questions Thread![/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?335135-Answers-to-Your-Questions[/URL][/SIZE]
    [I]I'm the leader of [URL="http://haruelo.com"]The Haruchai and the Elohim[/URL], an Arkenstone kin which has been around since June 2007.
    Contact me if interested in a fun Arkenstone kin.[/I] :)
    [/CENTER]

I've been playing for about 1 yr and noticed that as well. But sometimes if you play in another region that region may have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluros View Post
    Odd.
    Really?

Nope and nope.
    So you work for turbine then?

Welcome to the nature of random rolls-- each future roll is disconnected from previous rolls. Flipping 10 coins has no bearing on the odds of the 11th coin being heads.
    Thanks genius.

Nope.
    Wow. I'm just overwhelmed by the depth of knowledge and the lengths you'll go to to explain things. Where would the community be be without people like you?

Quote Originally Posted by Leoten View Post
    I've been playing for about 1 yr and noticed that as well. But sometimes if you play in another region that region may have it.
    Perhaps on other servers? I dunno. Pretty frustrating at the mo for me. Thanks for the reply though.

I have *FELT* the same as the OP on newer alts myself, but it must be remembered that they did significant alterations to crafting organization over the past year, resulting in the current allotment of recipes having little to no resemblance whatsoever to the former complement of recipes, so it is probably just frustrating RNG & misperception that makes us feel cheated.. I don't really know one way or the other, though..
    Last edited by MRNot; Oct 26 2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Wow! One misplaced letter really changed the tone of one point
    [I][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=comic sans ms]~ Occasional Taunter of Masked Badgers[/FONT][FONT=comic sans ms] ~[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

Really?

Thanks genius.

Wow. I'm just overwhelmed by the depth of knowledge and the lengths you'll go to to explain things. Where would the community be be without people like you?

So you attacked the one person who told you the truth...wow....
    No conspiracy here. Except the one to start a conspiracy......
    Holding on by the last hair on the dwarfs beard.

Really?

Thanks genius.

Yeesh; you make a post and ask questions. I gave answers that I believe are generally considered factual. Please don't insult me. My post wasn't made to attack; I'd appreciate the same courtesy.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Lime]Have Questions? Get the Answers Here![/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=Green][I]The Answers to Your Questions Thread![/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?335135-Answers-to-Your-Questions[/URL][/SIZE]
    [I]I'm the leader of [URL="http://haruelo.com"]The Haruchai and the Elohim[/URL], an Arkenstone kin which has been around since June 2007.
    [/CENTER]

One thing I have noticed and have to ask about is that in the 3 or so weeks I've been back playing, I've noticed recipe drops just seem to be the same drops over and over. I've just started some new chars (with starting on a new server) and have been round and round with my alts but it appears, to me anyway, that recipe drops are very limited to the types that drop, and I'm convinced now some will probably never drop. I've even tried the AH's, but these recipes are non-existant.
    The way loot recipes drop without too much detail. Each humanoid has a tier they will drop. If they drop a recipe - the first thing that happens is that the profession is picked. More or less equal chance of each profession. Some profession has so few loot recipes in a tier they are reduced in chance. After the tier is picked then it is an equal chance of any recipe. One shot shots are generated different than infinite use recipes - they are hard to find.
    Not that I have noticed. It is hard to find a specific recipe if you want something like a specific tailor recipe. You got to get a recipe drop. You got to get a tailor drop. You got to get the one you need. It can easily take a thousand kills given the quirks of a random number generator to get a specific tier 3 or 4 tailor recipe.
    You are going to see a lot of this when the recipe is a profession that has very few recipes. Fortunately, they changed it some. There are seven production crafts. At some tiers there is only one scholar recipe - for the fun of it. Call it the Yula Dye recipe. 1/7 of the recipes would be Yula dye recipes. 1/7 of the recipes are scholar recipes - there is only one choice for a scholar recipes.
    I'm pretty positive that last year the alts I had on Withywindle had their full range of lower lvl crafting recipes all in place really early on. Perhaps because I was a VIP back then too.
    Back in the 2007 and 2008. There were fewer recipes. It was easier to get em all. There were tons of players. The auction hall was full of them. There were a lot of recipes on corpses. Maybe late 2008 or 2009 - after tons of customer complaints about too much worthless loot on corpses. Turbine changed the tables. Took all the food, some of the pots, all the trash weapons off the bodies. Reduced the number of body parts - made em stack higher. Compacted the critical items to one item per profession per tier. Got rid of all the funny one shot items - replaced them with a universal shard for each tier.

One of the complaints was - stop with all those recipes. Turbine reduced the chance of a recipe being dropped on a corpse. They were being left behind. The vendor value of the recipe was put back as vendor trash instead. These days most people have their recipes. There is very little profit in hauling recipes to the auction hall and selling them. I am selling tier 7 recipes for 30 silvers. Getting a number of them back.
    Turbine always did the code. The only chance for a change was the Update 3 or Isengard. I have not noticed any change in the drop rate in since the loot reorganization requested by the customers to reduce the number of items on corpses - that was a long time ago.

Summary - It has changed from game launch due to customer request. Recipes are not as common as they used to be because the recipes were driving the non crafters nuts. May have been driving crafters nuts that already had recipes. These changes happened long before development started on the Lotro Store.

F2P brings a new wrinkle. VIPs like me have 30 auction haul slots. The Free and Premium players have to utilize their limited slots carefully because they do not have many slots. Recipes do not generate much silver per auction. They do not move fast - takes a long time to sell em. They are not going to use valuable slots on a recipe - they are going to sell a stack of ore.

I sell recipes mostly as a service to the community. If I got a recipe I think people might buy. I am headed to the auction hall to sell other stuff. I have some slots left out of the 30. I will post some inexpensive recipes. The balance are sold to a vendor.

I buy a lot of my recipes to fill out my recipe books. You can not find em in the tiers with a lot of recipes. When Turbine adds tier 2, 3, 4 recipes. I do not kill that stuff any more. I buy em.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Oct 26 2011 at 08:00 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

To the OP's question of suspected change in recipe drops....

Yes I have noticed a change in drops rates as well. And I am not just leveling a single alt. Currently I have about 5 low level alts leveling and the drop rate for lower tier recipes does seem to be off considerable from what it was pre-F2P. I know some will now label me as a conspiract theorist but everything always looks rosey to those wearing rose colored glasses.

Whether or not the change is in relation to encouraging players to purchase recipes from the AH....

At this point, nothing would surprise me, nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by MRNot View Post
    I have *FELT* the same as the OP on newer alts myself, but it must be remembered that they did significant alterations to crafting organization over the past year, resulting in the current allotment of recipes having little to no resemblance whatsoever to the former complement of recipes, so it is probably just frustrating RNG & misperception that makes us feel cheated.. I don't really know one way or the other, though..
    As a returning player who hasn't played in a while, it was just one thing that I have noted as being different from the last time I played. I'm not totally sure myself, I was just wondering whether any others had noticed or actually knew for certain that changes had been made to the game mechanics regarding recipe drops. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanisul View Post
    So you attacked the one person who told you the truth...wow....
    Firstly, the curt responses got my back up. If you are so miffed that other people online aren't as cool and edgy as you, I'd rather you didn't respond. Secondly, if it's just an opinion he is spouting i.e. he don't work for turbine, so doesn't actually know for certain that criteria for drops has been changed - then it cannot be ascertained as being the factual truth.

You do understand the difference right?

No conspiracy here. Except the one to start a conspiracy......
    So perhaps comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours. I was simply asking if others had noticed a difference in recipe drops, and apparently a few people on this thread have. That's all I wanted to know.

Yeesh; you make a post and ask questions. I gave answers that I believe are generally considered factual. Please don't insult me. My post wasn't made to attack; I'd appreciate the same courtesy.
    I'd appreciate in future you not responding to any questions I may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The way loot recipes drop without too much detail. Each humanoid has a tier they will drop. If they drop a recipe - the first thing that happens is that the profession is picked. More or less equal chance of each profession. Some profession has so few loot recipes in a tier they are reduced in chance. After the tier is picked then it is an equal chance of any recipe. One shot shots are generated different than infinite use recipes - they are hard to find.Not that I have noticed. It is hard to find a specific recipe if you want something like a specific tailor recipe. You got to get a recipe drop. You got to get a tailor drop. You got to get the one you need. It can easily take a thousand kills given the quirks of a random number generator to get a specific tier 3 or 4 tailor recipe.You are going to see a lot of this when the recipe is a profession that has very few recipes. Fortunately, they changed it some. There are seven production crafts. At some tiers there is only one scholar recipe - for the fun of it. Call it the Yula Dye recipe. 1/7 of the recipes would be Yula dye recipes. 1/7 of the recipes are scholar recipes - there is only one choice for a scholar recipes.Back in the 2007 and 2008. There were fewer recipes. It was easier to get em all. There were tons of players. The auction hall was full of them. There were a lot of recipes on corpses. Maybe late 2008 or 2009 - after tons of customer complaints about too much worthless loot on corpses. Turbine changed the tables. Took all the food, some of the pots, all the trash weapons off the bodies. Reduced the number of body parts - made em stack higher. Compacted the critical items to one item per profession per tier. Got rid of all the funny one shot items - replaced them with a universal shard for each tier.

One of the complaints was - stop with all those recipes. Turbine reduced the chance of a recipe being dropped on a corpse. They were being left behind. The vendor value of the recipe was put back as vendor trash instead. These days most people have their recipes. There is very little profit in hauling recipes to the auction hall and selling them. I am selling tier 7 recipes for 30 silvers. Getting a number of them back.Turbine always did the code. The only chance for a change was the Update 3 or Isengard. I have not noticed any change in the drop rate in since the loot reorganization requested by the customers to reduce the number of items on corpses - that was a long time ago.

Summary - It has changed from game launch due to customer request. Recipes are not as common as they used to be because the recipes were driving the non crafters nuts. May have been driving crafters nuts that already had recipes. These changes happened long before development started on the Lotro Store.

F2P brings a new wrinkle. VIPs like me have 30 auction haul slots. The Free and Premium players have to utilize their limited slots carefully because they do not have many slots. Recipes do not generate much silver per auction. They do not move fast - takes a long time to sell em. They are not going to use valuable slots on a recipe - they are going to sell a stack of ore.

I sell recipes mostly as a service to the community. If I got a recipe I think people might buy. I am headed to the auction hall to sell other stuff. I have some slots left out of the 30. I will post some inexpensive recipes. The balance are sold to a vendor.

I buy a lot of my recipes to fill out my recipe books. You can not find em in the tiers with a lot of recipes. When Turbine adds tier 2, 3, 4 recipes. I do not kill that stuff any more. I buy em.
    Thanks very much Yula. That was most informative (whilst simultaneously showing others how to construct a well reasoned response). Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandybux View Post
    To the OP's question of suspected change in recipe drops....

Yes I have noticed a change in drops rates as well. And I am not just leveling a single alt. Currently I have about 5 low level alts leveling and the drop rate for lower tier recipes does seem to be off considerable from what it was pre-F2P. I know some will now label me as a conspiract theorist but everything always looks rosey to those wearing rose colored glasses.

Whether or not the change is in relation to encouraging players to purchase recipes from the AH....

At this point, nothing would surprise me, nuff said.
    The recipe drops are just one thing I've noted. From playing last year, I have also noted that tin deposits are now everywhere, and copper seems to be rather scarcer than it was.

The major problem for me with grinding for recipes is that by the time you finally get the drop for that first tier lvl full set of leather armour - your toons are already over levelled for that gear, which kind'a defeats the whole point of the recipe in the first place.

As far as conspiracies go, there are adults who play the game that will give you well reasoned information or opinion, then there are 14 yr old fanboys. I can do without the fanboys, and that's a fact!

Cheers.

I'm leveling alts atm, a whole bunch of them, and I noticed the same. Nearly no jeweller recipes (found 2 til lvl 40, and I've done all the deeds). Tons of weaponsmith and metalsmith recipes, but 90% (and this is not an exaggeration) of the metalsmith recipes are crafting tools. At the AH, you see the same ratio. Tools, tools, tools and some oneshot recipes in between. Nearly no jeweller recipes. I haven't seen a single LM pet recipe for months now, neither as loot nor at the AH.

It's not only different to pre-f2p (cannot compare with that era), but also different to 1 year or even 6 months ago. Definitely. And as we know that the RNG is a myth, and that Turbine never mentions changes to their "RNG" in their patchlogs and generally refuses to confirm modifications like this, I assume another sneak change. Or a bug.

AW: Recipe drops

Well, for the high level content I DO believe that not all receipes exist even.

They are also not to be found in the shop, which is odd enough.

Re: AW: Recipe drops

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Well, for the high level content I DO believe that not all receipes exist even.

They are also not to be found in the shop, which is odd enough.
    Sure; there are some recipes that intentionally not available as world drops, because they're rep-gated (or guild-gated). Tier 7 crafting does seem to encourage building reputation in Dunland, as some recipes (such as the High-quality Calenard Ingot Recipe) can't be used unless you're of a certain standing.

Since these sort of recipes can be purchased from in-game vendors, it's thankfully a fairly moot issue, from a recipe-dropping perspective.

EDIT: On that note, the Lorebook is an excellent tool for determining where to find recipes/etc. If anyone's looking for something more specific than "kill mobs", it's a great tool, and is available in-game.
    [/CENTER]

Edit: Removed my response after reading subsequent posts by the OP attacking those who answer him/her.

AW: Re: AW: Recipe drops

Sure; there are some recipes that intentionally not available as world drops, because they're rep-gated (or guild-gated).
    I know, but ...

I think I have all recipes that can drop (I do daily checks at the AH and watch for crafted pieces as well) and I checked the rep vendor. Still I am not able to get complete sets of level 66 and 68 armor.

If no one is selling either the product or the recipe and if it's not at the rep vendor, my guess is that it does not drop at all or it does not even exist (but I tend to say that the loot table is gaga).

Re: AW: Re: AW: Recipe drops

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    I think I have all recipes that can drop (I do daily checks at the AH and watch for crafted pieces as well) and I checked the rep vendor. Still I am not able to get complete sets of level 66 and 68 armor..
    You never will. These recipes do not exist. Tier 7 crafting is incomplete. A lot of recipes are not in game yet. Jeweler, Metal Smith and Tailor are three very obvious professions that only got a lick and a promise. Hopefully Update 5, December 2011 will see the introduce of more recipes to help fill out our recipe books.

Looking over the available recipe list. It appears that Turbine decided we can not do it all. Lets do:

1) Provide decent crafted gear for the level 75 characters

2) Provide a nice range of foods

3) Provide some nice scholar consumables

4) We are out of resources. Make one glove. One boot One earring. One ring ... for the 66-74 crowd. If they really a crafted set it will be a piece together gear set of many different levels of gear that they can not finish until they are close to level 75.

This situation can be frustrating at all tiers. You could be looking for gear or a recipe for gear at a specific level of character. Turbine never provided the recipes. Tier 6 is like this. There is a level 65 Captain banner. There is no level 65 Captain Herald equipment. You can get level 65 gear for one play style. You are stuck at level 60 for a different play style.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Oct 27 2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Re: AW: Recipe drops

Sure; there are some recipes that intentionally not available as world drops, because they're rep-gated (or guild-gated). Tier 7 crafting does seem to encourage building reputation in Dunland, as some recipes (such as the High-quality Calenard Ingot Recipe) can't be used unless you're of a certain standing.

Since these sort of recipes can be purchased from in-game vendors, it's thankfully a fairly moot issue, from a recipe-dropping perspective.

EDIT: On that note, the Lorebook is an excellent tool for determining where to find recipes/etc. If anyone's looking for something more specific than "kill mobs", it's a great tool, and is available in-game.
    Interesting, I hadn't gotten around to looking too deeply into the Westfold recipe tier yet (except what I've kept from loot drops).

Even more OT, very thankful Turbine decided to make them stackable scroll cases - that's a boon!

@OP: no, I've always got alts out scavenging recipes and with regards to drops, I still get a large number of (different) ones. Try looking in more than one area, it seems to help as has been mentioned.

Also a lot of people probably don't pick up stuff off corpses at times, certainly recipes, so the ones you may be looking for... may be going to waste unfortunately.

..The major problem for me with grinding for recipes is that by the time you finally get the drop for that first tier lvl full set of leather armour - your toons are already over levelled for that gear, which kind'a defeats the whole point of the recipe in the first place...
    This annoys me, too, but I wanted to point out that I think it's specifically serving the intended purpose rather than defeating it. It is a not-so-gentle nudge to depend upon the community for your gear (feeding the need for the Auction House items & depending on kinmates & friends who can craft what you need). I don't like it either, as I prefer to be self-sufficient, but I think this is the idea..
    [I][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=comic sans ms]~ Occasional Taunter of Masked Badgers[/FONT][FONT=comic sans ms] ~[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

Re: AW: Re: AW: Recipe drops

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    ..Tier 7 crafting is incomplete. A lot of recipes are not in game yet. Jeweler, Metal Smith and Tailor are three very obvious professions that only got a lick and a promise. Hopefully Update 5, December 2011 will see the introduce of more recipes to help fill out our recipe books..
    I will defer to what I see as your superior familiarity with all things Turbine & gamish, because you seem to do more research and have a longer history, but I just wanted to add:

I was starting to get the impression this is simply the way they designed it, and your "full set" is supposed to be a mish-mash leveling set until you hit 75 and can get the ":end-game" set?

Also, from my experience with the captain, at every tier there was a banner recipe on the "5"s and a herald recipe on the even "10"s, so you can upgrade your banner at lvls 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, and your heralds at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60..? I don't know why they did it this way, but I just figured it was intended design..