We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Tusks of the Boars

I'm having some trouble completing the quest "Tusks of the Boars" in the Dunbog. The quest gets you to an instance where the Dunbog men are about to attack an enemy camp. You have to pick out 4 helpers to accompany you. They seem to have different roles depending on who you pick. (First time I ended up with 1 melee and 3 archers, second time I had 3 melee and 1 healer). Going through the instance is pretty straightforward. You move forward, trigger crowds of 4-6 enemies and blow up siege engines. Along the way there are occasional patrols or adds. This all goes pretty well and I can keep my 4 helpers alive. Until the final fight. You get wave after wave of Dunlendings, Uruks, and Trolls. At one point, an enemy chieftain comes out and your quest changes to "kill the chieftain". After that, you are supposed to talk to the friendly chief and I see him with a ring above his head. However, there's a ring of trolls and orcs and dunlendings that appear to be out of combat, as well as areas of fire that look dangerous. The chief stands right behind one of them. All the helpers are gone at this point. Gone also is my big defensive buff. I go to talk to the chief, but get attacked by more adds who stun me, then hit HARD. From the two times I ran this, it was pretty similar. Everything is manageable until the end, then I'm all alone against some nasty opponents and the chief wants me to talk to him. What am I doing wrong? Is the instance bugged?

--Harper
    [url=http://alesandtales.com]The Lonely Mountain Band[/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/freestyleharp]Freestyle![/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/winharperella]Winner: Top Guild Leader![/url]|[url=Weatherstock.guildlaunch.com]Weatherstock V[/url]

Re: Tusks of the Boars

I'm not sure what's up with the quest, but I share your frustrations. I ran it twice last night- both times I killed the siege captain, talked to the chief, tried to click on the horse and got mobbed. The first time I died almost immediately as I was already low on health. The second time I dropped a Rain of Thorns and hit Desperate Flight- I got ported to the "graveyard" but lost the quest. I just logged out there and went to sleep. When I logged in this morning, I was in Wulf's Cleft instead of Dunbog, which definitely sounds like a bug.

I know that I completed the quest pretty easily. I don't even think any of my helpers were still alive. When the boss came out, I attacked only him and hit him with everything I had. After that, I didn't have anything really attacking, so I talked to the chief, jumped on his horse and ran away.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000000406/01003/signature.png]Eridric[/charsig]

Here is my experience on having completed this instance three times. Your Mileage May Vary.

When you enter the final area, you are on the clock. You got to finish this fight before the Boar clan is defeated. Your goals are:

1) Get the boss activated
    2) Kill the boss
    3) Talk to the Brenin
    4) Get on the horse - leave the area as the Boar clan is killed or surrenders

When you come in, head south west. Make sure your friends are with you. Note where the boss that is green is standing due west. Talk to the Brenin from the south. Concentrate on staying on the south or west as much as possible while wiping out his first few waves. As soon as he goes red, kill him as quickly as possible.

He will go green at least once - hopefully your buddies will not wander off to the east where the rest of boar clan is. Keep banging away on him. Keep an eye on the Brenin. Always makes sure you know where he is. Make sure you have located the horse. As soon the Boss goes down. Talk to the Brenin. Get to that horse.

You will not always succeed, sometimes funky things happen. I had one case where I came in from the north side to talk to the Brenin. My buddies all went up to fight the east waves. One of the members of the first group the Boss sends in was stuck behind the wall. The instance hung. After 10 minutes. I had to exit the instance.

Another time, The boss, The Brenin, My buddies and the rest of the Boar Clan all managed to get up into the east area in a huge ball. The trolls killed my buddies right as the boss died. I was able to talk to the Brenin. Got all maybe four steps before the trolls made mashed elf out of my Hunter.

This instance is one of several depressing content elements for Isengard. You get to be a part of massive loss. It has to be this way. Saruman unifies all the Dunlendings under his control. Or they are slaves / prisoners. Or they dead. Maybe a handful of survivors that slip thru the mailed fist of Saruman.

Two thumbs up for the way Turbine made us a part of Tolkien's story. Yula was there as Saruman took over.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Oct 20 2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Boy am I glad to see this thread, because I had *exactly* the same experience and just came away confused by exactly what happened. I killed the captain, but the chief I was supposed to talk to was standing with his ring in the midst of burning flames and about a half-dozen other trolls and other bad things who wiped me out. I guess it really did simulate well the chaos of combat, but I wasn't really sure what had gone wrong. I lost track of the helpers completely.

I managed to get through this instance at last. I think the secret is to dump aggro as soon as the boss goes down. If you try to burn down the enemy, they will just keep coming until you die. And all those nice buffs disappear once your helpers do. So I made it out quite easily by feigning death. I had 150 morale left, and was about 1/2 filled from ICMR and SoS pulses by the time I popped up. All the enemies ignored me while I talked to the elder and strolled to the horse.

--Harperella
    [url=http://alesandtales.com]The Lonely Mountain Band[/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/freestyleharp]Freestyle![/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/winharperella]Winner: Top Guild Leader![/url]|[url=Weatherstock.guildlaunch.com]Weatherstock V[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Harperelle View Post
    I managed to get through this instance at last. I think the secret is to dump aggro as soon as the boss goes down. If you try to burn down the enemy, they will just keep coming until you die. And all those nice buffs disappear once your helpers do. So I made it out quite easily by feigning death. I had 150 morale left, and was about 1/2 filled from ICMR and SoS pulses by the time I popped up. All the enemies ignored me while I talked to the elder and strolled to the horse.

--Harperella
    This mechanism only works for Minstrels, Burglars and Hobbits. It is no help to a Woman Captain, Man Champion or an Elf Hunter
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    This mechanism only works for Minstrels, Burglars and Hobbits. It is no help to a Woman Captain, Man Champion or an Elf Hunter
    Very true, Yula. Here, let me make a more general statement:

Once the boss is down, the elder stops assisting you and all your helpers will be gone. Furthermore, you'll have all your buffs gone. I was hitting damage in the double digits on all my skills that normally do 300-500 damage. The only damage I was doing was on crits, and those were about 1/2 of what I would expect. If you continue fighting the mobs, you most likely will die. Its time to fire off your "escape" skills while you quickly talk to the elder then run to the horse.

Elf: Grace of the Eldar parries for you while you talk to the elder and then run to the horse.
    Hobbit: Do a hobbit flop and stay down the entire duration.
    Dwarf: Like the elf, pop your racial +block skill
    Man: Hit your man-heal and take it like a man(probably not enough)

Minstrel: Play dead
    Burglar: HiPS until the mobs are otherwise engaged.
    Captain: Last Stand
    Guardian: Use one of "invincible" skills. You are probably ok just soaking up damage and leaving quickly.
    Warden: Use Never Surrender, and make sure Shield mastery is up.
    Lore-master: Use storm-lore or ent stomp for mass stun, then talk quick and leave. Or run away and root everything with herb-lore.
    Runekeeper: Put your stone somewhere far away, then use your aggro-dump skill. When the mobs take the bait, run to the elder. Or use -movement debuffs to run away.
    Hunter: You're screwed. Beneath notice might get you out. Else just talk and leave quick!
    Champion: I have no idea. Hopefully you can take the beating.

After playing this scenario through 6 times, I have to say it makes perfect sense from a lore point of view. You are part of a failed raid, and need to run away rather than beat the mobs back. Its just not real clear when this point comes, especially in the chaos of battle. Its hard to tell enemy from friendly dunlendings. And some orcs and trolls are out of combat just walking by. Plus the boss you are killing is grey most of the time, since the elder is taking him on. I suppose the best course might be to just support the troops and dump aggro for the whole fight. I'm not sure if the dunlendings can do it without your assistance though. That enemy chieftain is certainly tough.

--Harperella

Quote Originally Posted by Harperelle View Post
    [snip]
    Man: Hit your man-heal and take it like a man(probably not enough)
    [snip]
    Champion: I have no idea. Hopefully you can take the beating.
    For what it's worth, I finally got this finished on my Man Champion. It was still very confusing, but this time I made sure to try to keep the fight with the Captain boss toward the middle of the ring of fire (to better avoid the other patrolling mobs on the periphery -- why attract guests?). Beating down the boss took forever, but as soon as it happens the ring appears on the chief guy, the helpers disappear, and the whole area gets swarmed by trolls and things, so it's best to try to stay close to him. I quickly clicked the ring, which changes the quest to instruct me to take his horse -- which of course I couldn't see because of the swarming mobs and the fire. Since I was being beat upon pretty hard, I just ran like heck in what I hoped was the direction of the horse and just barely managed to click it to mount and ride away. Whew!
    Last edited by DanteIL; Oct 21 2011 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    I just ran like heck in what I hoped was the direction of the horse and just barely managed to click it to mount and ride away. Whew!
    Best advice on this instance! Run away run away!

--Harper

This quest needs something adding to help you along and to identify when to think about running (e.g. some text appearing onscreen to say something along the lines of "The battle goes ill against you. You must find a way to escape" or something along those lines). Putting a quest with defeat as an outcome is a good plot twist but it's not too well executed at the end since the outcome leaves you wondering if they forgot to finish it properly or whether it's just buggy.

I'm glad I happened upon this thread; I tried this instance last night and had no idea what was going on after I took the boss down. A troll stomped my poor little hobbit flat before I could even locate the brenin. I'll be better armed when I try it again.

When I first was choosing my NPC's,..my herbalist ran up to the gate and went into combat! Which put me in combat, preventing me from selecting my remaining NPCs'!

I hung back and pulled some aggro my way which pulled my npc back out of combat range and that fixed it.

Other than that,..things went as planned.

Though I was getting beat on,..I did manage to click the horse and book out.
    ----------

So far,..I have enjoyed all of the Roi quest instances, very well done and cool to see.(Aside from the bugs that is)

It took my hunter four or five tries to clear the instance. The first few times I really didn't understand that when you defeat the Siege Captain and click on the Elder that you then have to go over to a horse and ride out of the battle. It wasn't until I defeated on the second or third try that I stuck around and panned around the battleground and then saw the horse.

It might be possible to aggro the siege captain when he becomes active and draw him a bit farther out than he might otherwise come, thereby getting that part of the fight out of the main furball that is breaking out. It might make it a bit easier and keep you closer to the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    He will go green at least once
    He went green all the time on my hunter. Only turned red after I had zillion adds and Elder at like 500 morale left. No single chance to kill him and ofc I got swarmed by the adds. I did that quest twice before, on champion and minstrel and never had such stupid bug.

What I am gutted most about is when I opened the ticket the GM didnt even deem me worthy talking to, just closed my ticket without a word. I am getting to the game breaking point with such lousy management.

So glad I found this thread! My sister tried this on her hunter last night and had a dickens of a time trying to complete it. I found the thread and passed the info on to her, and she finished it easily after following your advice, Harperelle. I was also easily able to complete it following your advice! Thanks!
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb412/lcainsa/LOTRO/newcustomsig_zpsa3ba3eae.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

I realize I'm necroing a long buried thread but this instance tossed me in the rez circle a few minutes ago at the very same point Harperella did in the OP. Seeing such a distinguished sampling of Vets challenged by this content was a balm to my bruised ego. I haven't come skulking in the forums for a bail out since configuring those mirrors in Moria. Very helpful and astute advice, many thanks for the info.

Well this thread is still hell to finish.
    It's a pity when I get all through the whole quest line to get to this point, and I just can't finish it.

I suppose I'll have to return after I've gained a few levels.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000041ed7/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Well this thread is still hell to finish.
    It's a pity when I get all through the whole quest line to get to this point, and I just can't finish it.

I suppose I'll have to return after I've gained a few levels.
    I'm hung up just getting started. I pick my 4 helpers, talk to gwin, defeat the first wave right there, then proceed up the hill to the first catapult and kill the 2 waves of mobs there, set off the powder keg, and all is well, I then move up the hill to the next catapult and defeat the mobs there, but there is no powder keg to activate. I ran all over the instance, killing all kinds of &&&&, and never found another way to destroy another "siege engine", so I can't advance the instance.

What am I missing?

There should be a barrel for you to set off at each catapult. But that is what you expected and the second one? didn't show up.

Does this always happen (i.e. you've done it several times) or is this from the one time you tried to do the instance?

It sure sounds like the instance glitched out on you. If you've only done it once, maybe try it again. Since you couldn't finish it, running it again would let the instance script roll out as it should. Obviously the script got off-track because you couldn't advance through the instance to its conclusion.

One thing to consider. Perhaps. Is that the game server has trouble with the load at that time. This also seems to relate to complaints about irregular responsiveness during mounted combat in Rohan. In your case, perhaps a key packet got lost or not processed so the script stalled out. It might have resolved itself if you stayed on for quite a while or it might not.

If it happens again, check the area of the first catapult or the last one that worked as intended and see if there are any hostile npcs left, perhaps stuck somewhere. Probably not, but you never know.

Good luck. My problems were not knowing that I had things left to do, like click on the horse to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by fezzick View Post
    There should be a barrel for you to set off at each catapult. But that is what you expected and the second one? didn't show up.

Does this always happen (i.e. you've done it several times) or is this from the one time you tried to do the instance?

It sure sounds like the instance glitched out on you. If you've only done it once, maybe try it again. Since you couldn't finish it, running it again would let the instance script roll out as it should. Obviously the script got off-track because you couldn't advance through the instance to its conclusion.

One thing to consider. Perhaps. Is that the game server has trouble with the load at that time. This also seems to relate to complaints about irregular responsiveness during mounted combat in Rohan. In your case, perhaps a key packet got lost or not processed so the script stalled out. It might have resolved itself if you stayed on for quite a while or it might not.

If it happens again, check the area of the first catapult or the last one that worked as intended and see if there are any hostile npcs left, perhaps stuck somewhere. Probably not, but you never know.

Good luck. My problems were not knowing that I had things left to do, like click on the horse to escape.

Turns out I was the fool, and was bugging out the instance. When it says "let the dunlendings move out" they aren't kidding.

Once I let them roll out, then proceeded, all the barrels were where they should be! Got through the end fight and everything.

Thank you for the advice, though!