We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maizael View Post
    There is already a viola in game. It is crafted by woodworkers for Bree rep, I believe. Only you cannot play it. You should put violas in game to play! It could not be worse than that pigblast.
    Ah the Pighorn. Most won't play it, Minnies refuse to teach it, NOBODY wants to listen to it, and it seems we're stuck with it

The violin is one of my favourite instruments. I would absolutely love to play some songs with it in game!

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    Ah the Pighorn. Most won't play it, Minnies refuse to teach it, NOBODY wants to listen to it, and it seems we're stuck with it
    Aaw give the poor Pibgorn some lurve, it's actually great for vocals on some songs, but you have to choose those songs wisely or risk the derision of all those who's eardrums you end up perforating as a result of your bad decision making...

+1 for the sustatined string instruments idea though, I'd suggest two, fiddle for all those jaunty jigs etc, plus something else to cover the medium/low ranges for all those songs that need strings in the background.

give us a violin,and give us other nice instruments like a deep wardrum,military snaredrum,recorder,battle horn(trombone style)and a scottish hornpipe and give all this only to the musicians(bards) in the game,so we can play REAL battle music when in the moors or at thorog etc

Unfortunately, any synthesized bowed string instruments sound like ####.
    I'd much prefer if they fixed the bagpipes first.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    ...Everyone forgets the cello...

*Walks off whistling*
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Keli View Post
    A great many of the tunes played by the bands and serious musicians is of Gaelic origin, usually traditional folk tunes, and these almost always use a violin (fiddle). It can be pretty hard substituting for this although some fantastic transcriptions are available.

Thank you for listening.
    This, this, a thousand times THIS!

Let's see. The dwarfs in the Hobbit had violins, you can craft violins for reputation, but you can't play one in our music system.

Supposedly this year will be the year of updates rather than having an expansion. How about updating the music system to include a violin. We've been asking for this for years.
    Aldekim (95 Landroval) Aldekim (65 Meneldor), Aldekim (13 Arkenstone),Aldekim (33 Laurelin), Aldekim (11 Nimrodel), Aldekim (Crickhollow), Aldekim (Elendilmir)

Yes! /signed
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/LeavesOfLaurelin/index/"]Leaves Of Laurelin - Landroval and Laurelin[/URL]
    [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië - Elven music society - Laurelin & Landroval[/URL]
    Makalaurë, Cotumo, Laurefindë, Witred, and Tulus!
    [/CENTER]

Yes, yes. The violins are a-calling! (to be implemented into LOTRO!)

/signed
    Riddermark Freeps and Creeps: Morgunith, LM/Hadellost, Burglar/Nukzat, Reaver Rank 6
    Meneldor Freeps and Creeps: Cambanod, Cpt

Quote Originally Posted by Domenicos View Post
    ....and give us other nice instruments like a deep wardrum......
    It is actually possible to create the deep wardrum/orchestral kettle drum sound using a harp playing only the drum notes for that particular drum at the deep end of the spectrum in tandem with your drum player playing the same note on the correct bass drum that is already available in lotro.

It is tricky, because it involves messing around cloning the drum track (for the harp to play) in the midi and deleting all the superfluous drum notes from the track, as well as adjusting the dynamics and getting the transpose on the notes right.
    I have only made one song where I got it absolutely spot-on, a cheesy sci-fi theme tune, but it is possible.

If you want to hear the proof for yourself, ask my band (Birds of a Feather) on Landroval or Silverlode to play the Star Trek Voyager theme tune for you, mention that you read this post and I will be happy to oblige.

We need this in the game, make it happen!

While I think having a Violin in the game to play would be great. I also think it would be one of the most difficult instruments to have in game and get it to work properly. I say this because their are folks from all different cultures around the world that listen and some produce different types of music.

Im from teh USA so the types I know about are

Classical music
    Country music
    Pop/Country cross over music.
    Pop Music
    old time folk music or "fiddle tunes"

Many many different sounds can be made to come from a violin/fiddle so if this were to happen i think it would probably take a very long time to make sure its done right.

It would still be cool tho. :-)

Produktion Malphunktion is offline Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™
    Sorry Violin is not in the immediate cards....

But some things are coming soon.
    I tease. I'll talk more about it real soon, but the music system is getting some love.

Pricks up the ears (pun intended)

Ah, that sounds interesting.

I read once in a PC paper magazine, that maybe within the time span of a decade, computers would be powerful enough to calculate the interaction of the strings of a violin with its wooden corpus, to create a natural sounding melody. That was 15 years ago.

Maybe today there are machines that could do this; but I doubt that they have any capacity left for other things like playing Lotro. If they are there, they must be so expensive, that the sound track composer of the Isengard expansion could not afford them. We are still far from the time when a virtual string instrument sounds same as a real one.

Greetings, Polymachos

Quote Originally Posted by Produktion Malphunktion View Post

I tease. I'll talk more about it real soon, but the music system is getting some love.

Ohh shouldn't tease! Now I am curious!!
    *offers some cookies*

A violin is a versatile instrument, with several very distinct modes of playing, and numerous common variations of those. Would LotRO limit the violin to one mode of playing? Let's say, bowed with vibrato. Pizzicato (plucking the strings) and playing notes without vibrato are also extremely common, and these three modes are all likely to be intermixed in the same piece. The LotRO music system would have to support different playing modes for the same instrument, or it would only be possible to implement a very abridged version of a violin.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval

I would be happy if we got two more octaves, one up and one down, and fix the out of tune instruments, that in itself would do wonders for us
    Then.......after we get cosmetic bunny pets, then give us a violin
    Bunnys FTW!
    [URL=http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/fincinelodie/media/sig-lotro_zps75917b70.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t544/fincinelodie/sig-lotro_zps75917b70.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    *Les Beaux Chapeaux Bandmember,* Transciber, Officer
    Founder of the Hobbit Coalition for Giving us Bunny Cosmetic Pets
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

Well, it's obvious then, isn't it? You've been playing out of the wrong deck! xD

But seriously... what kind of luv? ^_^
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of [U][B]Riddermark[/B][/U]ed For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ [U][B]Landroval[/B][/U]

*Cringes at the thought of another Pibgorn...*
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000029110f/signature.png]Orladan[/charsig]

Voloin would be great. Could add something to the bands we see around from time to time. Currently the only way to have a steady note is with a wind instrument, and they lack the natural smoothness of he violon (coming from someone who actually plays the instrument). Little things make all the difference. Implementing this instrument would be very great.

/signed

Quote Originally Posted by Emere View Post
    I would be happy if we got two more octaves, one up and one down, and fix the out of tune instruments, that in itself would do wonders for us
    Then.......after we get cosmetic bunny pets, then give us a violin
    Bunnys FTW!
    I second this, however I'm easier to please, I'll be happy just with 5 octaves...

Yes please. Violin/fiddle is definitely a hell yes from me.

This instrument has been asked for since beta or hell probably even alpha. Every time we ask we get an excuse or we ended up with the Middle-Earth vuvuzela aka pibgorn. I too sign this in hopes that a violin will be added. The flute stance could be modified to use a violin and since there's work to be done on the busted music system why not add another instrument to it while you're at it.

When ask about violin when they announced they were making changes to the music system for U15 the Dev responded saying:

Violin- not for U15. But let me ask, if we 'fake' it and use already established animations instead of creating violin animations would that be acceptable?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast