We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: 2 more octaves?

2 more octaves?

Any chance we could see another couple of octaves made available? I'm not sure what the difficulties would be, but it sure would be nice to go one more octave above and below the 3 we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarach View Post
    Any chance we could see another couple of octaves made available? I'm not sure what the difficulties would be, but it sure would be nice to go one more octave above and below the 3 we have now.
    (I'll give my thoughts, but it's academic, because it is extremely unlikely that any range will be added. Possibly a couple semitones, but not entire octaves.)

One issue is that adding a note to an instrument is a big undertaking. The sound samples need to be just right in order to fit well with the other notes. It is so difficult that, after all these years, most of the instruments still have a few sour notes.

Another problem is that some of the instruments are already near the practical limit of their range. For instance, Flute starts becoming too shrill at the top end (at the bottom, it begins sounding less like a flute), and Theorbo gets too boomy at the bottom (at the top, it already sounds close enough to Harp that it wouldn't be needed). But Lutes and Harps could probably do with a few more notes at the top. Horn and Clarinet could handle more on both ends. Pipes and Pib, though, don't really have much of a pleasant range to begin with.

The idea is that all instruments have the same range of notation (but each actually plays a certain number of octaves higher or lower than what is written). That being the case, a higher octave cannot be added to some and a lower octave to others without changing the current degree of transposition. And if they did that, existing music would play in the wrong octaves. (However, I'm sure someone would almost immediately write a utility that could convert an old piece of music to play correctly with the revised transposition values.)

Really, I would find two additional octaves to be excessive, as I never see music requiring a five-octave range for a single instrument. However, I frequently wish the instruments had four. (But, for the reason just mentioned, they would have had to design it like that right from the start, because some ranges should go higher and others lower.)

Adding an octave would mean that Drums could have 12 more sounds. That would be really nice. (Such as timpani notes at melodic intervals.) It might be possible to expand Drums without even adding range to the other instruments. But, really, if they were to add more percussion sounds, I think it more likely that they would do it by introducing a second type of Drums, instead of expanding the existing one. (That would allow another 37 sounds with our existing chromatic range of notes.)

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Halgoreth View Post
    (I'll give my thoughts, but it's academic, because it is extremely unlikely that any range will be added. Possibly a couple semitones, but not entire octaves.)

One issue is that adding a note to an instrument is a big undertaking. The sound samples need to be just right in order to fit well with the other notes. It is so difficult that, after all these years, most of the instruments still have a few sour notes.

Another problem is that some of the instruments are already near the practical limit of their range. For instance, Flute starts becoming too shrill at the top end (at the bottom, it begins sounding less like a flute), and Theorbo gets too boomy at the bottom (at the top, it already sounds close enough to Harp that it wouldn't be needed). But Lutes and Harps could probably do with a few more notes at the top. Horn and Clarinet could handle more on both ends. Pipes and Pib, though, don't really have much of a pleasant range to begin with.

The idea is that all instruments have the same range of notation (but each actually plays a certain number of octaves higher or lower than what is written). That being the case, a higher octave cannot be added to some and a lower octave to others without changing the current degree of transposition. And if they did that, existing music would play in the wrong octaves. (However, I'm sure someone would almost immediately write a utility that could convert an old piece of music to play correctly with the revised transposition values.)

Really, I would find two additional octaves to be excessive, as I never see music requiring a five-octave range for a single instrument. However, I frequently wish the instruments had four. (But, for the reason just mentioned, they would have had to design it like that right from the start, because some ranges should go higher and others lower.)

Adding an octave would mean that Drums could have 12 more sounds. That would be really nice. (Such as timpani notes at melodic intervals.) It might be possible to expand Drums without even adding range to the other instruments. But, really, if they were to add more percussion sounds, I think it more likely that they would do it by introducing a second type of Drums, instead of expanding the existing one. (That would allow another 37 sounds with our existing chromatic range of notes.)
    Plus it would probably end up broken. '.'
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

I would be surprised if we even got the sustained bass that was hinted at some time back. As much as I wanted and argued for more octaves when the revamp was starting out, I would settle for simply having the lost note trouble taken care of but I've heard nothing about it so I assume we have all we are ever going to have.

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    *Les Beaux Chapeaux Bandmember,* Transciber, Officer
    Founder of the Hobbit Coalition for Giving us Bunny Cosmetic Pets
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys