We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do YOU reduce raid lag?

The 12-man skirmishes are great fun and award better loot than ever before, but for a good number of people, raid-sized skirmishes produce so much lag that they're almost unplayable. I usually run them on the lowest graphic setting just to be safe, but sometimes even that doesn't help. There are times that my skills will lag a good 5-10 seconds behind, I miss out on fellowship conjunctions, and I'll see the trash mobs literally teleport across my screen.

That said, I have a relatively decent computer: dual core, 4GB of RAM, and a good video card. I've talked to people who have worse specs than that, and they argue that they can run raid skirmishes on extremely high settings without so much as a hiccup. So I wonder what the trick is, and I'm interested to see if anyone has some good suggestions as to what they do to increase performance in raids.

Of course there is always the obvious: Turn down graphic settings, turn off floaty names, and avoid skirmishes with insane weather effects (like Gondamon). What else am I missing?
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

Re: How do YOU reduce raid lag?

Turn down Floaty Damage, Names, disable Cloaks. Under Social Options turn on Show Dispellable Effects Only.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/arkenstone/bobion/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000021d81/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/url][URL="http://www.themeaningofhaste.net"]www.themeaningofhaste.net/[/URL]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/arkenstone/lorthag/]Lorthag, R6 Uruk Warleader[/url] - The Meaning of Hate
    "The only thing our opponents can do that we care about is die." -- Graalx2

I close my eyes to reduce lag. If you can't see it lag, it's not lagging right?

I'm running quad core, ati radeon hd 5770 with 4gb ram in dx9 on xp(because I had trouble running lotro on win7) and I only have minor lag spikes of 2-3 seconds or less when there's a trash pull of 10+ and lots of LM/AoE effects going on. I never miss FM's or anything else important while running Ultra High graphics.

I do disable post processing effects, and floating anything should be off basically.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000cbf97/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

There is also a crowd quality setting you can reduce. It helped me a bit, but I still have some lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Feybobiam View Post
    Turn down Floaty Damage, Names, disable Cloaks. Under Social Options turn on Show Dispellable Effects Only.
    If you absolutely insist on having names on, disable "Player Kinships", "Player Surnames" & "Player Titles"

Also on social options, turn on "Only show effects casts by me" (it stacks with the above dispellable effects options)

If all else fails, refuse to bring tactical classes with all their Michael Bay special effects.
    Last edited by Brya; Oct 18 2011 at 11:49 AM.
    [SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
    [color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]

people use the term "lag" very loosely and well who knows what they are talking about when they mention it.

For me lag is a "network" problem which is completely independent of anything related to graphics.

When people say turn down graphics etc I assume they are suffering from:

A. Reduced Framerate (FPS) < 15FPS would make the game appear stuttering, jumpy.
    B. Frozen screen/ Locked up <1FPS where the game appears to go frame by frame with the amount of effects present.

Network Lag can look like graphics lag because things lock up and stop working but typically network lag should not affect your framerate.

if i were to describe what network lag woudl look like on your screen, it woudl be:

A: clicking on skills but they dont work,
    B: unable to move your character.
    C: everyone has stopped moving! whats goign on!

If you can still see your mouse cursor moving around the screen its less likely to be graphics lag, and more likely network lag. Confused? Press CTRL+F in game and look for the FPS counter... if this drops below 10.0FPS (Frames per Second) graphics lag could be your issue.

To pinpoint a network Lag issue, one must understand how an online game works. you have clients and a servers... the clients send and recieve information (packets) to and from the server/s. You have servers for various things, Chat, instances & Zones, voice comms, and who knows what else in lotro, but its all connected together and they have to work flawlessly or things dont appear to work... you get the effect of LAG and other broken stuff.. like when you click on the vault guy and wait for your vault to be displayed... some times it takes a second and another day it might take 30 seconds... that is because the vault is possibly on its own server somewhere and its got issues!

the simplest way to prevent lag is to fix your end, because you cant fix turbines end for them.

DO NOT USE WIFI! as awesome as wifi is and you can have no issue with it playing LOTRO it is most likely your downfall in raids. WiFI increases your latency and multiplying lag issues... its just not good for raiding in lotro.

How raids differ from normal solo or group play is there are more players.. and each one of those players is sending and recieving 'packets' from the server. The more players... the more packets you have to deal with! on top of that each packet needs an Acknowledge packet aka ACK packets which is returned to the sender to say hey thanks got the last packet you just sent, got anything else to send? in a raid of 12 people we are talking a serious number of packets! and when they go missing or get delayed the lag sets in and only ever recovers after the battle is over.

eg. person A casts a skill... it sends a packet to the server saying hey i cast a skill! the server sends that information to all the other players in the raid and everyone gets to see Person A cast a skill... Now multiply this by lots and lots of stuff going on... skills, movement, damage, heals, effects...then add in all the NPC stuff too! OMG my internets cant handle this! Lotro will compensate and drop packets, sending limited information but at some point you need to be able to move, cast a skill etc... raids dont stop for packet loss...

Dont share your internets! sharing internets is fun! and anyone can do it these days having lots of computers online in your home... but sharing = LAG. Someone harmlessly watching a hidef 1080p 10 hour youtube video somewhere else in your house can seriously affect your LOTRO. if you pay the bills You can do what you like, if you dont... i guess you are out of luck here..

You may say but I haz teh Fibre optics Internets! its the fastestest!!! This may be true but its only as fast as the slowest point... Anything that causes lotro packets to be held up, delayed, dropped is your problem. Lotro can work great over dialup internet if you configure things right so having a fast internet connection doesnt guarantee anything.

Anyhow since computers are pretty silly and most people connect to their router via 100Mb or even gigabit Ethernet windows and its networking get a little confused and just handle things as best it can, basically first in first served... Silly windows thinks it can fit more out through the internet than it actually can so stuff gets dropped or delayed...

How we fix this is using traffic prioritization, aka Packet Shaping, we take all the packets and we set it up so Lotro gets first class treatment and everything else has to wait... You cant do this in windows without special software or a special piece of expensive hardware such as a packeteer. If Lotro was the only application that used the internet on your computer there wouldnt be an issue and you wouldnt need to prioritise anything but lots of programs use the internet now, all by themselves... checking for updates constantly sometimes lotro might have to wait 1 whole second for this other applciation to check if there is an update... ack... I was in the middle of a raid and now i've gone linkdead! stupid adobe reader updater!!! arggh!

Now we could all turn our updating programs off but that would allow johnny the hacker to steal things from your computer so best not tinker with things you dont know much about.

Anyhow everyone is confused now so here is my list of things you can try to fix your lag:

1. Do not use wifi... plug in the cable. I could go into the complicated bits about why, but just trust me on this one.
    2. Ban anyone else in the house from using the internet while you are playing lotro. unplug any device that may be accessing the internet also.
    3. Close MSN, yahoo, IE, Firefox, Skype, random P2P programs make sure its all closed.. even your email! close it!
    Tell your AV and firefall software you are playing lotro, if you can close them else temporarily disable them. Windows firewall doesnt cause any hassles it can stay... tell windows update to check for updates when you are asleep. tell any other update programs to go away...
    4. now load lotro and enjoy no lag!
    5. Play with lotro settings: Lotro has a connection speed setting under troubleshooting options, you could lower this to say ... 64.0 or lower and see if this changes anything... I dont know what this setting does exactly, as the tooltip just says it give the server a hint about your connection speed. i guess setting it low would help prevent lotro servers from sending you too many packets. A dev may be able to explain this setting. if you change it i think you need to restart the game.

If you are still getting lag, you must have missed a step... else your pc has issues... Check the calendar it may be your birthday soon... mmmm new computer!

Because ultimately if you check all this and your are having lag then its gotta be your actual internet connection.

you can check this yourself open up a command line and type: ping -t my.lotro.com

it should give you replies with a 'time' in ms... now if your internet is happy and healthy the numbers should remain the same or at a steady rate ( +or- 5ms) over the duration of at least a minute. if the times go up and down like a yoyo there are issues... it probably still something your end causing the issues unless your ISP is just plain evil and provides you with terrible internet.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001509dc/01006/signature.png]Laetitia[/charsig]

Elaborate on your specs. Which CPU? Which video card? What OS? Video card driver? Did you buy this from a vendor or build it yourself?

Most of the time if you have decent hardware and things are going slow it's because of something or multiple things running on your computer. How much is running? Do you have antivirus? Is that running? Other firewall/security software? What about P2P stuff? Bittorrent? Do you have 50 web browser windows open?
    \\ Galidin \\ Unpossible \\ Rawlor \\
    ...::: Defenders of the Lost Light - Brandywine :::...

Quote Originally Posted by Laetitia View Post
    people use the term "lag" very loosely and well who knows what they are talking about when they mention it.

For me lag is a "network" problem which is completely independent of anything related to graphics.

When people say turn down graphics etc I assume they are suffering from:

A. Reduced Framerate (FPS) < 15FPS would make the game appear stuttering, jumpy.
    B. Frozen screen/ Locked up <1FPS where the game appears to go frame by frame with the amount of effects present.

Network Lag can look like graphics lag because things lock up and stop working but typically network lag should not affect your framerate.

if i were to describe what network lag woudl look like on your screen, it woudl be:

A: clicking on skills but they dont work,
    B: unable to move your character.
    C: everyone has stopped moving! whats goign on!

If you can still see your mouse cursor moving around the screen its less likely to be graphics lag, and more likely network lag. Confused? Press CTRL+F in game and look for the FPS counter... if this drops below 10.0FPS (Frames per Second) graphics lag could be your issue.

To pinpoint a network Lag issue, one must understand how an online game works. you have clients and a servers... the clients send and recieve information (packets) to and from the server/s. You have servers for various things, Chat, instances & Zones, voice comms, and who knows what else in lotro, but its all connected together and they have to work flawlessly or things dont appear to work... you get the effect of LAG and other broken stuff.. like when you click on the vault guy and wait for your vault to be displayed... some times it takes a second and another day it might take 30 seconds... that is because the vault is possibly on its own server somewhere and its got issues!

the simplest way to prevent lag is to fix your end, because you cant fix turbines end for them.

DO NOT USE WIFI! as awesome as wifi is and you can have no issue with it playing LOTRO it is most likely your downfall in raids. WiFI increases your latency and multiplying lag issues... its just not good for raiding in lotro.

How raids differ from normal solo or group play is there are more players.. and each one of those players is sending and recieving 'packets' from the server. The more players... the more packets you have to deal with! on top of that each packet needs an Acknowledge packet aka ACK packets which is returned to the sender to say hey thanks got the last packet you just sent, got anything else to send? in a raid of 12 people we are talking a serious number of packets! and when they go missing or get delayed the lag sets in and only ever recovers after the battle is over.

eg. person A casts a skill... it sends a packet to the server saying hey i cast a skill! the server sends that information to all the other players in the raid and everyone gets to see Person A cast a skill... Now multiply this by lots and lots of stuff going on... skills, movement, damage, heals, effects...then add in all the NPC stuff too! OMG my internets cant handle this! Lotro will compensate and drop packets, sending limited information but at some point you need to be able to move, cast a skill etc... raids dont stop for packet loss...

Dont share your internets! sharing internets is fun! and anyone can do it these days having lots of computers online in your home... but sharing = LAG. Someone harmlessly watching a hidef 1080p 10 hour youtube video somewhere else in your house can seriously affect your LOTRO. if you pay the bills You can do what you like, if you dont... i guess you are out of luck here..

You may say but I haz teh Fibre optics Internets! its the fastestest!!! This may be true but its only as fast as the slowest point... Anything that causes lotro packets to be held up, delayed, dropped is your problem. Lotro can work great over dialup internet if you configure things right so having a fast internet connection doesnt guarantee anything.

Anyhow since computers are pretty silly and most people connect to their router via 100Mb or even gigabit Ethernet windows and its networking get a little confused and just handle things as best it can, basically first in first served... Silly windows thinks it can fit more out through the internet than it actually can so stuff gets dropped or delayed...

How we fix this is using traffic prioritization, aka Packet Shaping, we take all the packets and we set it up so Lotro gets first class treatment and everything else has to wait... You cant do this in windows without special software or a special piece of expensive hardware such as a packeteer. If Lotro was the only application that used the internet on your computer there wouldnt be an issue and you wouldnt need to prioritise anything but lots of programs use the internet now, all by themselves... checking for updates constantly sometimes lotro might have to wait 1 whole second for this other applciation to check if there is an update... ack... I was in the middle of a raid and now i've gone linkdead! stupid adobe reader updater!!! arggh!

Now we could all turn our updating programs off but that would allow johnny the hacker to steal things from your computer so best not tinker with things you dont know much about.

Anyhow everyone is confused now so here is my list of things you can try to fix your lag:

1. Do not use wifi... plug in the cable. I could go into the complicated bits about why, but just trust me on this one.
    2. Ban anyone else in the house from using the internet while you are playing lotro. unplug any device that may be accessing the internet also.
    3. Close MSN, yahoo, IE, Firefox, Skype, random P2P programs make sure its all closed.. even your email! close it!
    Tell your AV and firefall software you are playing lotro, if you can close them else temporarily disable them. Windows firewall doesnt cause any hassles it can stay... tell windows update to check for updates when you are asleep. tell any other update programs to go away...
    4. now load lotro and enjoy no lag!
    5. Play with lotro settings: Lotro has a connection speed setting under troubleshooting options, you could lower this to say ... 64.0 or lower and see if this changes anything... I dont know what this setting does exactly, as the tooltip just says it give the server a hint about your connection speed. i guess setting it low would help prevent lotro servers from sending you too many packets. A dev may be able to explain this setting. if you change it i think you need to restart the game.

If you are still getting lag, you must have missed a step... else your pc has issues... Check the calendar it may be your birthday soon... mmmm new computer!

Because ultimately if you check all this and your are having lag then its gotta be your actual internet connection.

you can check this yourself open up a command line and type: ping -t my.lotro.com

it should give you replies with a 'time' in ms... now if your internet is happy and healthy the numbers should remain the same or at a steady rate ( +or- 5ms) over the duration of at least a minute. if the times go up and down like a yoyo there are issues... it probably still something your end causing the issues unless your ISP is just plain evil and provides you with terrible internet.
    I could not have said this any better than myself. NO WiFi. When we moved into our new house over a year ago, I tried wifi because our new house was 2 stories. That lasted about 30 minutes in a raid. Went to the local geek store, bought a 50 foot network cable, plugged that baby in and eveything went right back to where it was before we moved. So what if I have a cable running from upstairs to down stairs, I have no lag and it makes my gaming that much better for me and my kin...

Quote Originally Posted by Laetitia View Post
    To be honest, I intended to use lag in as very general term here since I didn't have the appropriate space in the title to adequately explain my problem. I don't use WiFi, but it's quite likely that my issues stem from a combination of both network lag and poor graphics processing. I sometimes notice the symptoms of network lag (skills locking up, players running in place, etc), but they never last long enough to cause any big concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawlor
    Elaborate on your specs. Which CPU? Which video card? What OS? Video card driver? Did you buy this from a vendor or build it yourself?
    For me personally, I run Windows 7(64bit) on an old Intel Core2 6600 processor, and use a Nvidia 9800GT for my graphics card. However, I was hoping for a few more general tips so that others might gain some insight and use out of this thread as well. Turning off player names and floating damage is a big one - this has helped out remarkably over the past few years, especially in graphic intensive raids like the old 24-man Helegrod and the Watcher fights.

Another big thing is cosmetics and post-processing effects. As a raid leader I usually insist that others turn off cosmetics, disable cloaks, shoulders, and so-forth. Some listen, some don't (or can't quite grasp the concept). Post-processing has always made a difference in the past, but I'm pretty sure that they get automatically disabled when I turn my graphic settings down past "Medium" or so. I believe this is true for the crowd volume feature as well, but I'm not 100% positive on that one.

As for background programs, I never have extra internet browsers open, don't run anything like anti-virus while playing, and generally have all other programs closed. As I share an apartment, I don't have much control over what others are doing on my network at the time, so that is just something I will have to grin and bare.

I'm looking for more tips or settings that I can adjust in-game. Sorry Runekeepers, I love you but your healing stones absolutely kill my performance. Even on the lowest settings, I still get slowdown when those healing effects are floating all over my screen. I've given it a brief look, but I can't seem to find any way to turn these off or at least tone them back a bit. As already stated, I look to turn off floaty names, damage, and practically anything else that hovers around, though even with chat bubbles unchecked, the skirmish soldiers still seem to keep shouting for reinforcements.

While all the tips so far can indeed be helpful for many, keep the tips coming. I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say and share. And thanks to so many in advance!
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Feybobiam View Post
    I've played around a bit with this and there are some things that make a huge difference and some things don't matter much at all.

Turning off floaty names in a raid makes the quickest most obvious performance boost on client side issues. And you simply have to press (defautl) 'N' to make it happen. Don't have to leave the game window into menus to turn it off and on.

I would also add to turn off "Post Processing Effects" in your advanced graphics settings. It makes the water pretty, among other things, but its a resource hog.

Turning off cloaks hasn't helped me much, and its a bear to try and get others to respect that, so I don't bother asking and haven't seen much of a result when everyone does. But, if you can get everyone to do so, and it helps, then that is good.

Now, for places like the moors where you get two raids +taggers in the same area... there is no setting that will help. This is a Turbine issue and their servers/programming/resources/whatever the problem is can't handle it. Just do the best you can and try to find another fight that doesn't have quite the numbers (I think the actual limit is more around 60+ as I see this whenever there is Craid+Fraid+WP which pushes up to 3 raids on screen at a time).

Quote Originally Posted by Krindus View Post
    How do YOU reduce raid lag?
    I buy an Intel Core i7-920, an nVidia GTX 560 Ti DS, 6GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD, an 850W PSU, a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, turn my graphics up to Ultra High, then sit back and enjoy a wicked awesome lag-free spectacle. You guys should try it, it's amazing!!!!

I've always had problems with lag (I use the whole shebang of turning graphics to lowest, no cloaks, no names etc), running in most raids with 5-15 fps, but I'm used to it and it hasn't affected my effectiveness...

... UNTIL the Draigoch raid came out. For some reason I'm having ridiculous lag now whenever I turn my screen to the dragon. And what's worse - my fps gets worse after every time I do it and it won't go back to normal even after I leave the raid (0.0 fps anyone?).

I've learned to counter it - I'm having someone on follow for movements for the whole raid and I turn my camera so that I would be looking at the walls or floor whenever possible, but this is weirs. I wonder what makes me lag out so bad?
    Quit.

Find me on Steam and ESO, same name.

i am experiencing network lag on a regular basis when i'm in an instanced fellowship...

i was grouped with 2 others doing environment quests and was doing fine (with maybe 1-2 seconds of lag at most)

but once i was in the instance (some epic storyline quest with tom bombadil ) the action would be 8-10 seconds ahead of me... i even missed some of the NPC interactions (when tom saved us).... i couldn't cast healing spells fast enough - my fellowship would be out of range when it finally cast.

anyhelp would be appreciated on how to fix this... i'm worried i wont be able to enjoy the higher level content like this.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002be0ae/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

The suggestions in this thread are all good ones, but tbh, you need a better processor. Looking at your specs, everything seems fine except the processor and I reakon that will be your bottleneck.

Theres some easy tests you can do.

1) See what your PC can handle when you are solo. Go to the middle of nowhere, pump up your settings and monitor your FPS.

2) Now go to somewhere really well populated (like Galtrev) and see how well you manage. Your FPS will drop due to increased load on your graphics card, so lower the settings to find an acceptable FPS. With your graphics card, you should be able to handle Very High settings at a stable 30-40fps in galtrev.

3) Now go somewhere and enter combat. Start scaling up your group size by doing instances. If you have a good processor then you can handle larger and large group sizes. The amount of graphics processing in draigoch wont be much greater than standing in galtrev with 100s of people running around. However, the calculations your processor makes will go up lots.

What I expect you'll find is that you can handle high graphics very easily when not doing anything because your graphics card is still OK, but because your processor is massively out of date you simply can't handle large group sizes. In this case, none of the settings you change will make a difference.

To put it in perspective, I recently upgraded my PC. I went from an AMD Athlon X2 5200+ (dual core) with 4gb ram to an AMD Phenom II 955 (quad core) and 8gb ram. The ram hasn't made a difference, but where as I used to have to raid on all the lowest settings possible, I can now do raid skirmishes, draigoch 24man etc on Very High settings with a minimum of 25fps, no matter how many LMs and RKs there are! And, im still using an old Nvidia 8800 GTS. Lotro is an old, bloated game and not very efficient in its coding so it requires more powerful CPUs than ever before.
    [CENTER][I]Formerly Jennifern, Rank 7 Captain and Raid Leader of Divine Retribution on Snowbourn[/I]
    -
    Currently awaiting the next best thing!
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by opurt View Post
    I buy an Intel Core i7-920, an nVidia GTX 560 Ti DS, 6GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD, an 850W PSU, a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, turn my graphics up to Ultra High, then sit back and enjoy a wicked awesome lag-free spectacle. You guys should try it, it's amazing!!!!
    Too bad when the game released none of that hardware was out, so the suggestion is a little silly - don't you think?
    I'm an expert - look at my join date, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrywisdom View Post
    Too bad when the game released none of that hardware was out, so the suggestion is a little silly - don't you think?
    Many games are built to run on future hardware (in other words, moderately well today, but very well tomorrow when more power is available). But possibly a little silly regardless. I have a moderately better system than that and still see lag. The server side lag is something we can't correct no matter how much money we have to throw at our rigs. But the client side is ours to deal with and I do think I see less lag than most with a decent PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrywisdom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hucklebarry View Post
    Many games are built to run on future hardware (in other words, moderately well today, but very well tomorrow when more power is available). But possibly a little silly regardless. I have a moderately better system than that and still see lag. The server side lag is something we can't correct no matter how much money we have to throw at our rigs. But the client side is ours to deal with and I do think I see less lag than most with a decent PC.
    Well I have no idea what Starrylackofwisdom's statement means exactly, but as Hucklebarry notes, we can't control Turbine or the internet, but we can control our PCs. And the occassional lag I do see is not because of my PC.

I run through most skirmishes with no problems. The one that kills me though is Amon Sul. At the first wave, I'm on total lockdown: skills queued to no end, can't move except a side-step every once in awhile...it's so bad that when the leader is showing the chest loot, the cargul still has 50k morale left, and the adds are still running around. Once the fighting is done on my screen, I'm free to move. I had a similar problem in the 21st Hall skirmish; I was just fine until the last fight, but once the auras hit my screen, I became basically immovable again.

As i said, all other skirmishes are just fine, so it has to be something very specific I'm overlooking. Thoughts?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002ed181/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Haldern View Post
    I run through most skirmishes with no problems. The one that kills me though is Amon Sul. At the first wave, I'm on total lockdown: skills queued to no end, can't move except a side-step every once in awhile...it's so bad that when the leader is showing the chest loot, the cargul still has 50k morale left, and the adds are still running around. Once the fighting is done on my screen, I'm free to move. I had a similar problem in the 21st Hall skirmish; I was just fine until the last fight, but once the auras hit my screen, I became basically immovable again.

As i said, all other skirmishes are just fine, so it has to be something very specific I'm overlooking. Thoughts?
    I've had the same problems with the same skirmishes. Very frustrating.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000010da9a/01008/signature.png]Murili[/charsig]

One issue in the Moria skirmishes is the banner buffs. The pulsing colors of six to 10 banners creates terrible lag. Yes, you can get 10 in 21st hall. It sucks when the raid leader demands all banners be saved for last boss. Omg!

I agree and disagree, sometimes the problem can be at your end, but sometimes it can be the server itself being overloaded. I have a 100Mb/S Internet connection that is reliably 100Mb/S at all times and I have a fairly powerful 6 core PC with a respectable Nvidia GTX480 graphics card. I have very low pings generally, but from the UK I get a consistent ping of 90ms on the LOTRO server, yet I still have intermittent lag which is worse at busy times. I can play other online games however with are more demanding without any noticeable lag. The LOTRO servers are clearly old with outdated connections that need upgrading, but I doubt they want to invest.

in this case it is server lags an this is no losely use of *lag*...

for if it happens, the game freezes, well, my toon does, the *world* goes on with its action...

taken acid, you jump around, all things fine... all of a sudden, your screen freezes, 3-4 secs...
    and you will find yourself ready to get rezed

and it must b about update 6, for it started back then, so it is... its not our systems nor is it our isps...

what about the services turbines usin? subscribed to a cheaper one? eventually...

i cant tell, i can guess, as most of us...
    but what i do can tell is that my game exerience isnt much fun these days...

i frequently run another mmo on my system, absolutely no issues...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2721800000021d389/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [url=http://imageshack.us/f/842/rank11.jpg/]Morizena[/url]

Pre-update 6:
    No significant lag for anyone in the raid.

Post-update 6:
    Consistent freezing, skill lock, delays for EVERYONE in the raid. Several Orthanc Challenges become near-impossible.

Graphics performance is flawless, at any settings on a Radeon 5850.

Affecting everyone on every server (at least who raids or PvMPs). What's the dealio?
    Last edited by Beastnas; Apr 03 2012 at 02:28 AM.
    Beastwise | Gladden | Shock and Awe

Unhappy Didgusting lags...

Quote Originally Posted by MrJaZn View Post
    I close my eyes to reduce lag. If you can't see it lag, it's not lagging right?

I'm running quad core, ati radeon hd 5770 with 4gb ram in dx9 on xp(because I had trouble running lotro on win7) and I only have minor lag spikes of 2-3 seconds or less when there's a trash pull of 10+ and lots of LM/AoE effects going on. I never miss FM's or anything else important while running Ultra High graphics.

I do disable post processing effects, and floating anything should be off basically.
    My HArdware is Amd Athlon x4 640, 8gb RAM, Geforce GTX 660 2GB and even lowest of low graphics makes my Raids lag...
    All the other games work like diamond ultra high and all but lotro has only problems but only raids...

Most in this thread have focused on hardware, but there are major game-related processing problems that you simply can't fix with better equipment / setups. Those processing issues relate to &&&&ty coding of debuffs.

1. A Minstrel can lag guys with the highest spec machines and T1 connections by using Echoes of Battle on the DPS target. This tends to only happen in raids where there are a lot of other debuffs being processed by the server, and most Minstrel's aren't in Harmony or Warspeech so the bug is rarely observed, but be on the lookout for ghost swards.

2. A Captain using Telling Mark with the Telling Mark legacy on his LI continuously switching to other LIs without the Telling Mark legacy can cause a lot of lag.

3. A Captain with Revealing Mark armour swapping a set that buffs Revealing Mark can lag the raid.

I never use Echoes of Battle in raids anymore. I make sure Telling Mark's buff is on every LI that may be swapped in combat or else that Captains doesn't use Telling or doesn't swap. If the Captain is armour swapping he can't run Revealing Mark.

Even if you do the above you may still get lag- especially in zerg situations with a lot of debuffs running. One work around is to have a pet (LM or Captain) attack the boss and skill target forward through the pet. You will notice your lag drop significantly.
    Last edited by bastiat1; May 23 2013 at 05:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast