We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Do the Docs and LUA files get updated?

I am just wondering if the C:\Users\%currentuser%\Documen ts\The Lord of the Rings Online\Plugins\Turbine files get automatically updated now or does one still need to update the actual Turbine LUA files from somewhere? And is this for Developers only?
    [CENTER]Cynegar - Warden of Rohan[/CENTER]

Re: Do the Docs and LUA files get updated?

No. You will need to visit lotrointerface.com and download the updated versions of your favorite plugins. You can set a list of favorites to make finding them easier.

You should wait at least a week. -until Narell has posted the updated docs for the developers, and for the developers to update nd test their plugins for for today's patch. Plugins on lotto interface.com as of this morning (Wed 19 Oct) are intentionally "broken" -features disabled - because of the bug introduced with the release of ROI and hopefully fixed today.

(from my iPad -excuse typos)
    Last edited by Valamar; Oct 19 2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Re: Do the Docs and LUA files get updated

Quote Originally Posted by joshmiller83 View Post
    And is this for Developers only?
    Not certain if you are asking about this forum or about plugins in general.

In either case you will discover a mix of both plugin developers and users posting on this forum, and at lotrointerface.com. I am simply a "heavy" user, myself. I don't write the plugins, but use them heavily and actively report findings to the developers and try to help less experienced users.

While the Lua interface is still listed as "Beta" by Turbine (and so are the LOTRO Community Forums themselves - look at the logo in the upper left) the Lua plugins have an active user community. "Beta" basically means -- Turbine does not invest (assign) Dev time and effort to "officially"support the Lua system. Bugs get fixed and features added on a "spare time available" basis.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Re: Do the Docs and LUA files get updated

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    While the Lua interface is still listed as "Beta" by Turbine (and so are the LOTRO Community Forums themselves - look at the logo in the upper left) the Lua plugins have an active user community. "Beta" basically means -- Turbine does not invest (assign) Dev time and effort to "officially"support the Lua system. Bugs get fixed and features added on a "spare time available" basis.
    Is that what beta meant? I'd always assumed it meant that the Lua system was unstable enough that you could a) crash your client and b) hard lock your client via scripts.

Actually, given that it's not even feature complete (at least I hope not - the API can always use expanding. Like giving us access to the target), I'd say we're technically in alpha. Mind you, it's a pretty usable alpha.

Question Re: Do the Docs and LUA files get updated?

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar
    No. You will need to visit lotrointerface.com and download the updated versions of your favorite plugins. You can set a list of favorites to make finding them easier.

You should wait at least a week. -until Narell has posted the updated docs for the developers, and for the developers to update nd test their plugins for for today's patch. Plugins on lotto interface.com as of this morning (Wed 19 Oct) are intentionally "broken" -features disabled - because of the bug introduced with the release of ROI and hopefully fixed today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar
    Not certain if you are asking about this forum or about plugins in general.

In either case you will discover a mix of both plugin developers and users posting on this forum, and at lotrointerface.com. I am simply a "heavy" user, myself. I don't write the plugins, but use them heavily and actively report findings to the developers and try to help less experienced users.

Neither of these were answers to my actual question and maybe I worded it wrong. I am a heavy user as well and I do some personal development for my wife and I.

I know where to get plugins and how to get them. My question was not about Plugins in general.

I was asking if the actual Turbine LUA code examples and code files were updated on the Client Side on every patch or if there was new Turbine LUA files that needed to be downloaded out there somewhere. LOTROInterface (where I am a premium member) would not have them as these are Turbine Specific and posted in the forums above. This info most likely would be known by a Turbine Dev or Plugin author.

Thanks for the try though.
    [CENTER]Cynegar - Warden of Rohan[/CENTER]

Re: Do the Docs and LUA files get updated?

As far as I know, the examples haven't been updated recently.

The documentation is in the works, but I suspect stabilizing the party system is probably a higher priority. No use documenting something that's kind of crash prone.

So far I've been getting by via table dumps and using __index to track object accesses.