We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

[Plugin] LoTRO Alerts

Ever get blown-up while wandering in stealth just to realize you missed the tracking warning? Ever have some stray arrow break your stun/daze/mez on a critical NPC and not know who to rant at, er I mean provide constructive criticism too?

Well, never miss an important message just because it's burried in a rapidly scrolling mountain of chat. Welcome to Alerter.

See samples of alert setups at http://www.lotrointerface.com/portal.php?id=35&a=faq

Version 1.05 adds the ability to use pattern captures from the original alert message in quickslot aliases. This update also adds the ability to save the alerts to a log file as well as the ability to set alerts to be shared across all of your characters so that you don't have to recreate alerts that you use on every character.

Version 1.04 introduces "Delay" alerts - you can now set an alert to fire a set amount of time after a chat message is received. This is great for remembering to reapply buffs or fire any skill that causes a messages in the chat log when used.

You can also specify that alerts should wait or be suppressed when you are in combat (you can also specify this for when you are out of combat but I've yet to think of a good use for that case). If an alert is fired when you are in combat but it is set to wait and it has a "Delay" the delay time will count down but the actual alert will not fire until you are out of combat.

This plugin allows you to set specific phrases to watch for in specific chat channels and if any match occurs in a specified channel, a message is displayed prominantly in the middle of your screen. You can control the size, text, color and duration of the message as well as whether it flashes and how quickly.

With Version 1.03 you can now create alerts that have a quickslot - click on the alert to use the skill, item or alias assigned to the quickslot. Additionally, alerts can now be made to popup at the mouse location so quickslots can be available without moving the mouse.

You can also set alerts to scroll vertically when you set the display box to a greater height than the actual message - you can control the scroll speed with the alert duration. This is perfect for alerts that are expected to occur frequently and which may have variable values to display.

Another fairly major change with version 1.03 is that you can display multiple alerts simultaneously now. Each alert is a separate instance so they will not replace each other when triggered.

Version 1.02 adds the ability to use an image instead of just text or a combination with the text displayed over the image. To use an image, simply save a .jpg or .tga file in the GaranStuff/Alerter/Resources folder and then enter just the file name in the Image field for your alert. Note that if your image does not match the size of your alert it will currently be automatically stretched to the size of the alert. I will probably be adding an option in a future version to allow selecting stretched/tiled/fixed sizing.

In addition to images, you can now position your alert. When the alert setup window is displayed, a red and white border will show where your alert will be displayed. You can either move/resize the border with your mouse or enter the Top, Left, Width and Height directly into the setup window.

If you upgrade from a prior version of LoTRO Alerts to version 1.02 or higher you will have to open the setup window and reselect the Channels for each alert and resave them. I have changed the way in which the Channels are saved to allow for greater flexibility in handling channels but this method is not backwards compatible with versions 1.01 and 1.00.

There are a couple of additional channels, including Emote Act (the prior Emote channel is now Emote Text as it turns out emotes with text use a separate, previously undocumented channel) and NPC channels. There is also a "Custom" channel where you can enter a channel number which can be found using the Alert Chat Log window for any other undocumented channels (I suspect the DE and FR clients have a number of these).

You can use the Chat Log Window to determine the channel and text you are trying to match. Click the "Show Log" button or use the "/Alerter Log Show" command to display the Chat Log Window. The chat log will have three columns, the first is the channel (text if recognized, numeric if unknown), the second is the "Sender" which currently seems to always show the current player and the third is the message Text with all hidden XML tags exposed. You can start/stop logging and clear the log from the window. You can also start/stop loggin with the "/Alerter Log Start" and "/Alerter Log Stop" chat commands. The chat log will retain up to 1000 messages before it starts automatically recycling space by dropping the oldest entries.

To install, simply download the file and unzip it into your /Plugins folder. There are no dependancies on 3rd party files, everything you need is in the zip.

To load it, use /Plugins load Alerter.

The "/Alerter setup" command will display the setup/configuration screen. By default the plugin loads hidden, you will have to display the setup screen at least once to define one or more alerts. There is no practical limit to the number of alerts you can set, but you will eventually start to notice a performance hit if you define a hundred or so

To define an Alert, select "New" from the Alert selection list. Then enter a label for the alert (this is what will display in the Alert selection list so you can modify the alert later if you wish. Then enter the text that you want to display - note, if you leave the message text blank, the entire message that triggers the alert will be used for the message (see the stun break example). Enter a Duration in seconds. You can use decimal values to get partial seconds. Select a Color and Font for the message text. Select the flash interval in seconds - by entering 0, the message will not flash but will display for the entire Duration. Select the Chat channel(s) where you wish to trap a message - note in the LM example, the stun break message occurs in the Death channel, not the Combat channel which you might expect, so some experimentation may be required to get the proper channel. Lastly, enter the portion of the message that should trigger the alert - the larger the section of text the better - and click Save. If you want to see how the alert will look, click Test.

Version History
    Version 1.05
    Fixed alert position bug for alerts using Mouse Position and a Delay time.
    Fixed bug that could generate an error when displaying the "Alert Saved" or "Alert Deleted" message.
    Fixed bug in language selection not immediately updating State radio button labels and selection list labels.
    Added "Shared" option. This will allow an alert to occur for all characters. This will make creating alerts that should occur for all characters much easier. Note, if you uncheck this option, the alert will ONLY exist on the current character - if you want a copy on other characters you must first save an unshared copy on those characters by logging into the character, opening alerter setup, selecting the alert, then select "<NEW>", enter a new name, deselect "Shared" and click "Save".
    Added "Save to Log" option. This will create a log file
    Added message captures to quickslots so you can now create /alias quickslots that contain captures from the original alert message
    Ex: Create an LM Stun break alert with Pattern "(.+) has freed (.*) from (.*)" and Quickslot with Alias text "/scold Scolds %1 for breaking %2" will create a quickslot that has a "Scold" emote for the person that broke the stun.

Version 1.04
    Added separate tabs for Trigger settings and Result settings to help group settings and clean up the cluttered interface
    Updated the DE and FR support. The whole interface should now support both German and French (although some translations may still be a bit literal).
    Changed channel select boxes to automatically reorder alphabetically when language changes.
    Added the new channels from Update 6 (Combat - Player and Combat - Enemy).
    Changed Item quickslots to accept item instance IDs instead of generic IDs (the first part of the ID should not be 0). Use drag & drop to generate the ID. Note, for items with more than one stack, only the stack that is actually dragged to the control will work.
    Implemented permanent fix for the version 1.03 infinite loop bug caused by ExaminationItemID tags containing byte data.
    Added Delay setting for alerts - you can now trigger an alert to go off x number of seconds after the chat message which is great for knowing when to refresh certain skills, etc.
    Added States (currently only "In Combat" and "Out of Combat") for triggers. You can choose to delay an alert until the state is no longer true or suppress he alert all together. This way you won't be bothered by social alerts while in combat (but you can choose to have them pop up once combat ends), etc.
    Fixed a bug that could allow an alert Quickslot to continue to display even after the alert duration had expired.

Version 1.03
    Modified Alerts so that more than one alert can be active simultaneously - alerts no longer override each other.
    Added limits to the alert template when resizing with the mouse - you can still override the limits by manually entering lower values.
    Re-added the Opacity slider
    Added tinting to areas of the setup panel to indicate related fields and help a little with the clutter
    Added Quickslot controls to alerts - these let you click on the alert to execute an alias, perform a skill or use an item
    Added an option to display alert at the mouse position, overriding the Top and Left coordinates (mostly useful for Quickslot alerts)
    Added an option to scroll the text vertically upwards within the defined alert box - the scroll rate is controlled by the duration

Version 1.02
    Added Cooldown setting to alerts - allows setting a minimum time between alerts for the same trigger.
    Added a graphical frame which is visible when the setup window is visible for graphically moving/resizing the alert panel in addition to left, top, width and height fields that can be manually entered.
    Added the ability to use a graphic image with alerts. Save the image in the GaranStuff/Alerter/Resources folder and then just enter the image file name (without path). Alternately, you can use any of the built in resource IDs.
    Added a chat log which displays the chat channel, sender and message arguments for the last 1000 incomming chat messages.
    Altered the way that channels are selected - you will need to redefine any previously created alerts by reselecting the channels and resaving.
    Added a "Custom" channel to allow users to match agains any previously undefined channel that they find in the log. Undefined channels will show up as a number, enter that number in the Custom Channel field. Note, undefined channels will still be matched by the "Any" channel category.
    Added the ability to use "captures" in the Pattern which can be reproduced in the alert Message by inserting a %number where "number" is the iteration of the capture.
    note that the captures do not need to be reproduced in the order in which they were captured, that is %2 can preceed %1 in the Message.
    When creating patterns, note that the incomming message may not be quite what you expect, the built in chat window processes some of the text before adding it to the chat display. For instance, "Tells" do not include the sender's name or the words "tells you," in the message, those are added by the chat window.
    The Message field can contain three special fields, %C for the Channel and %S for the Sender and %M for the original Message.
    Added a chat command to Start, Stop and Show the Chat Log - "/Alerter Log Start","/Alerter Log Stop","/Alerter Log Show"
    Added an "Enabled" checkbox. Clear this to temporarily disable an alert without having to delete the alert definition.

Ver 1.01 Updates/Fixes
    Added a Delete button
    Added French and German translations for most of the interface, Chat channels are not yet translated
    Fixed incorrect label for the Font selection list
    Fixed the mouse click-though bug (reported by Eldarian on LoTROInterface).

Download at LoTROInterface.com:
    http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...nfo.php?id=609
    Last edited by Garan; Sep 25 2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: updated for 1.05

Re: [Plugin] LoTRO Alerts

Very cool. I've been working on something similar in concept (called "Say What?"), but I think this covers the function rather well.
    Lycius [size=1][color="gray"][ELF HNT][/color][/size] / Dannav [size=1][color="gray"][MAN WDN][/color][/size] / Pius [size=1][color="gray"][HOB BUR][/color][/size]
    [i][color="gray"]Landroval[/color][/i]

My LM thanks you!

Edit: The "Death" channel is actually known as the "Combat Event" channel, or at least, that's what it is called in game. Not sure if the LUA stuff calls it something different or not.
    Last edited by Stever1388; Oct 01 2011 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stever1388 View Post
    My LM thanks you!

Edit: The "Death" channel is actually known as the "Combat Event" channel, or at least, that's what it is called in game. Not sure if the LUA stuff calls it something different or not.
    I went with the names that were in the ChatType enumeration. I thought it seemed odd that Combat Events were showing up in the channel that Turbine calls Death instead of the one they call Combat. Just a somewhat misleading name they put on the enumeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    I went with the names that were in the ChatType enumeration. I thought it seemed odd that Combat Events were showing up in the channel that Turbine calls Death instead of the one they call Combat. Just a somewhat misleading name they put on the enumeration.
    That's what I figured you were going with, and I agree its a bit confusing. Combat should refer to the channel that outputs the combat/damage logs.

Version 1.01 is released and should be available for download shortly.
    Changes include a Delete button, most of the interface translated for DE/FR clients and two bug fixes. This will probably be the last release for a while unless any more bugs are reported.

Wow your plugin was hiding on page 2.. I've been chasing a plugin exactly like this for ages and its been here for ages already.

Works Great I am using it to inform me when my friends come online.

Thanks heaps! will recommend to others

Quote Originally Posted by Laetitia View Post
    Wow your plugin was hiding on page 2.. I've been chasing a plugin exactly like this for ages and its been here for ages already.

Works Great I am using it to inform me when my friends come online.

Thanks heaps! will recommend to others
    Thanks. I wouldn't say it's been here for ages, just since RoI made chat monitoring possible. Glad you find it useful

It´s very nice, pity i can´t put it to work in the ToO Lightning wing, when the boss calls Shocks. I wrote the exact phrase, the word Shock/shock, my character name, etc ... all work while me or another player type it in /say, but it doesn´t work when the boss does it. I have put the "all" channels for if it wasn´t the say channel, but i can read it on a "say" chat tab i created, so it´s really on the "say" channel.

Does anyone know about this issue? I saw someone using it and working but i can´t make it work in raids.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000185a83/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Also featuring: Saril, lvl 75 Human Loremaster, Dirgations lvl 75 Human Champion.
    Phoenix Legion kin, Laurelin Server.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradegor View Post
    It´s very nice, pity i can´t put it to work in the ToO Lightning wing, when the boss calls Shocks. I wrote the exact phrase, the word Shock/shock, my character name, etc ... all work while me or another player type it in /say, but it doesn´t work when the boss does it. I have put the "all" channels for if it wasn´t the say channel, but i can read it on a "say" chat tab i created, so it´s really on the "say" channel.

Does anyone know about this issue? I saw someone using it and working but i can´t make it work in raids.
    If I ever find the time to actually play I'll try to look into this. I've been wanting to try out some Orthanc runs but I've been too busy with side projects It should be a rather straight forward solution such as putting just your name in the trigger, leave the message blank and select the "All" channel. I'm thinking of adding a logging option in the next release so that people can see which channel certain messages are detected on.

I'd like to request the ability to position the flashing alert text. I'd actually prefer to move it closer to my Quick Slots. Might that be possible?

I have also been unable to get it to work in Orthanc Lightning Ring. I have tried the previous suggestion, but it doesn't seem to work. It works fine in the other Orthanc locks, but not Lightning. Maybe it's because Kâlbak has an accented character in it?
    Last edited by Psarra; Feb 10 2012 at 01:05 AM.
    Camden • Bancroft • Kimball • Melinnas • Psarra • Prentice • Lirendil

Quote Originally Posted by Psarra View Post
    I'd like to request the ability to position the flashing alert text. I'd actually prefer to move it closer to my Quick Slots. Might that be possible?

I have also been unable to get it to work in Orthanc Lightning Ring. I have tried the previous suggestion, but it doesn't seem to work. It works fine in the other Orthanc locks, but not Lightning. Maybe it's because Kâlbak has an accented character in it?
    Thanks for the comments.

First, the next version of Alerts will have several new options for the type of alert as well as positioning - unfortunately, I have no time frame on availability as I have less time available right now to work on plugins.

As to Orthanc, the accent should not matter unless you are using the name as part of the pattern to be matched and failed to enter the accent in the pattern. Since the pattern is a Regular Expression, you can simply replace the "â" character with a "." to be sure that any character will match, but it should work just fine without the replacement.

Version 1.02 is now available with lots of new features including the ability to move/resize alerts and using images as well as text. This version also has a new Chat Log window which can be used to capture the channel and message text with xml tags exposed. This will allow people to more easily determine what text should be in the pattern to correctly match the incomming message. Version 1.02 also includes "captures" so that you can insert portions of the original message in your alert - this can be useful for repeating the name of a target, etc.

Please note that if you are upgrading from a prior version of LoTRO Alerts to version 1.02 you will need to open the setup window and reset the selected channels for any existing alert definitions. I found it necessary to change the method for handing channels as well as having added a couple of undocumented channels (NPC and Emote Text) and the new channel definition is not backwards compatible.

Just some of the neat/fun things that can be done with ver 1.03:

Here's a simple alert for showing your self heals as scrolling text - it can fairly easily be modified to show any heals.

or even modified to show scrolling incomming damage or other effects.

or you can create an alert that let's you return a Wave without having to stop to find the person that waved to you...

For the Quickslot alerts, you can either manually enter the SkillID/ItemID/Alias and manually select the type or you can simply drag a skill/item/alias into the quickslot and the interface will set the data and type for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradegor View Post

On the off-chance you see this, or anybody else: It does work all you have to type is "shock <name>" where <name> is your character name. And check the "all" box. Our kin uses it for this wing.

For the creator: I have tried every single thing possible that I can think of for the fire and ice wing to get it to work for the INDIVIDUAL bosses corruptions.

I have tried typing two apostrophies instead of a quotation mark. I have tried typing it with no comma. I have tried every combination I can think of to get it to work, and I honestly cannot figure it out. The callout is "Usgarren/Crissiant says, "My Power builds!"

It will work for just "My power builds!" but it will not work for the specific boss's callout. Is there anything you can think of to make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by keikii View Post
    On the off-chance you see this, or anybody else: It does work all you have to type is "shock <name>" where <name> is your character name. And check the "all" box. Our kin uses it for this wing.

For the creator: I have tried every single thing possible that I can think of for the fire and ice wing to get it to work for the INDIVIDUAL bosses corruptions.

I have tried typing two apostrophies instead of a quotation mark. I have tried typing it with no comma. I have tried every combination I can think of to get it to work, and I honestly cannot figure it out. The callout is "Usgarren/Crissiant says, "My Power builds!"

It will work for just "My power builds!" but it will not work for the specific boss's callout. Is there anything you can think of to make it work?
    As it turns out, many NPCs that "say" things do not do it in the "Say" channel. There is another channel which is not in the enumeration provided by Turbine which is now available in LoTRO Alerts as the "NPC" channel (you can avoid this by using the "All" channel option but then your pattern has to be more exact or you will get matches from random chat in OOC or GLFF, etc). Additionally, many of the messages that are displayed also include hidden formatting tags.

The in-game chat window adds text to the message in some cases, so things like the sender name or the "says," portion of the message may not actually be IN the message. In your case, if the actual channel is the NPC channel (officially, undocumented channel # 16777232 ), then the actual message may not include the NPC name - rather the NPC name may be in the "Sender" argument and the chat window may be adding the name and the "says," to the actual message. So a message that shows in the chat window as "Usgarren says, My Power builds" may actually exist as:
    Channel: NPC
    Sender: Usgarren
    If you want to see what the actual message is, activate the Alerter Chat Log (use "/Alerter Log Start") to catch the actual message and then review it after the fight (use "/Alerter Log Show"). I would be curious to see what it reports (I haven't had the opportunity to run any Orthanc instances and due to recent issues with my graphics card it may be a while before I can ).
    LoTRO Alerts does not yet allow matching on Sender as that argument is not used in most channels and defaults instead to your character's name. I will be adding "Sender" as a trigger parameter in a future release.

If you find any hidden formatting tags in a message, you can replace them with a wild card in your pattern, the .* wildcard (a period and asterisk) will match any group of characters and is a good bet for substitution for a formatting tag. Note, if the NPC name has any special characters (typically characters with accents) you have to include the exact name or replace the special character with a period.

EDIT: WARNING ver 1.03 has a bug that can lock up the client if you loot a corpse while the chat logger is logging. Ver 1.03a is a hotfix for this problem and is now available.
    Last edited by Garan; Feb 29 2012 at 05:21 PM.

I know for the lighting boss,
    Kâlbak says, "Storms come!"
    translates to:
    <Select:IID:0x0304000265C55B0D >K**lbak<\Select> says, ''Storms come!''LF
    where ** is 0xC3 0xA2.

Since the â actually counts as two characters, it's bound to confuse people.
    Arkenstone: Guntred Burg, Flormir Guard, Marv LM, Willaman Mini
    Mirnakh Warg, Slimezem Def, Litemup BA, Bloodletr WL

See below:
    Last edited by Evendale; Mar 30 2012 at 10:24 PM.
    [B]Elendilmir - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evenwyn[/COLOR][/B] Burglar[B] - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evendale[/COLOR][/B] Guardian
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=2][B]Combat Analysis[/B] [/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=2]([B]v4.2.3b[/B]) - [/SIZE][/FONT]Download "[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info502-CombatAnalysis.html"]here[/URL]"

Here's a better specific list:

> Note the filter needs to be set to "Unfiltered" (or "<ALL>")

Lightning:
    Pattern: .* says, ''Shock (.*)!''

Fire/Frost:
    Pattern: <Select:IID:0x.*>(.*)</Select> says, ''My power builds!''

Pattern: <Select:IID:0x.*>(.*)</Select> says, ''The ancients shield me!''

EDIT: this still isn't working for some reason omg. Will test again soon and update
    Last edited by Evendale; Apr 01 2012 at 01:08 AM.
    [B]Elendilmir - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evenwyn[/COLOR][/B] Burglar[B] - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evendale[/COLOR][/B] Guardian
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=2][B]Combat Analysis[/B] [/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=2]([B]v4.2.3b[/B]) - [/SIZE][/FONT]Download "[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info502-CombatAnalysis.html"]here[/URL]"

Version 1.04 includes the new combat chat channels from Update 6 as well as a couple of other significant changes. The most obvious change is that the UI is now split between two tabs to help organize it and cut down on the cluttered appearance.

There are two new features, "Delay" and "State". The Delay allows you to set an alert to fire x number of seconds AFTER the chat message is received. If you want to remember to rebuff people, just set the delay to a short time before the cooldown will expire and you will get a reminder to rebuff - you can even put the buff skill right in the alert for easier access. The "State" setting is pretty simple - you pick a state, currently only "In Combat" and "Out of Combat" are recognized and specify what effect that state has on the alert (chose "N/A" if it does Not Affect the alert) - 'Delay' will prevent the alert from displaying until the state is no longer true, 'Suppress' will completely suppress the alert, making it never display.

I should have the FAQ samples updated in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    I should have the FAQ samples updated in the next couple of days.
    You know, I was just about to ask for something like this. Thanks!

I think one common sample should be the Lightning Boss in Tower of Orthanc. Most people are installing Alerter specifically for this.

Ver 1.05

Version 1.05
    Fixed alert position bug for alerts using Mouse Position and a Delay time.
    Fixed bug that could generate an error when displaying the "Alert Saved" or "Alert Deleted" message.
    Fixed bug in language selection not immediately updating State radio button labels and selection list labels.

Added "Shared" option. This will allow an alert to occur for all characters. This will make creating alerts that should occur for all characters much easier. Note, if you uncheck this option, the alert will ONLY exist on the current character - if you want a copy on other characters you must first save an unshared copy on those characters by logging into the character, opening alerter setup, selecting the alert, then select "<NEW>", enter a new name, deselect "Shared" and click "Save".

Added "Save to Log" option. This will create a log file

Added message captures to quickslots so you can now create /alias quickslots that contain captures from the original alert message
    Ex: Create an LM Stun break alert with Pattern "(.+) has freed (.*) from (.*)" and Quickslot with Alias text "/scold Scolds %1 for breaking %2" will create a quickslot that has a "Scold" emote for the person that broke the stun.

The shared alert option is great (especially for things like tracking in the moors). Thanks for the update!
    Eraelin | Redemnus

Motivating Speech

For Cappys that are frustrated by SSG's latest move with Motivating Speech, you can set up an alert to easily help you to keep Motivating Speech up. The following screens show an alert definition that will trigger 20 seconds before Motivating Speech expires and includes a quickslot for easily reactivating the skill. You do have to fire the skill once to start the alert cycle processing - you can use LogRemind to remind you to fire the skill the first time (great for reminding you to renew things after defeat as well).

When you are first creating the definition, the "Alert" dropdown will be "New" instead of "Motivating Speech" - these screenshots were of an existing definition.
    The delay of 280 will trigger the alert after 280 seconds (4 minutes 40 seconds) or 20 seconds before the prior Motivating Speech expires.

Note, if you drag the Motivating Speech skill onto the quickslot in the response tab it will enter the skill# for you (or you can type the info in manually)

EDIT:
    OK. Turns out there IS a good reason to use the Custom Lua code. If you refresh the skill using a client quickslot instead of the alert quickslot, the alert will sit there and continue to cover the screen instead of nicely going away. By using the Custom Lua in the trigger it will clear the alert no matter how you refresh:

So, just edit the existing alert definition (or add this when creating a new one) and it will clear whether you refresh using the quickslot in the alert or a built-in quickslot.

So you can copy and paste, the code for the Custom Lua is:
    Code:
    for k,v in ipairs(alertMain.AlertDisplays) do
    if v.Message:GetText()=="Reapply Motivating Speech" then
    v:SetVisible(false)
    end
    end
    Last edited by Garan; Jun 09 2021 at 08:24 PM.