We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quest: Taking a Stand

I finally got through this, the time was up, & it never ended. Waves kept coming, so I finally just died to get out of there. Is this one bugged?

ok, nvm - horse...

/facepalm at self
    Last edited by Ellyllon; Sep 29 2011 at 06:26 AM.

Re: Quest: Taking a Stand

What I'm curious about this quest is is it possible to actually keep the NPC's alive during the whole timer? Or are they pretty much supposed to die? Didn't have much luck on the minstrel and ended up just kiting around the Dunlendings for five minutes after everyone got killed. But I'm wondering if it's doable on, say, a guardian or warden?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000a789d/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [Gammi MIN] [Eldagar LM] [Lindoniel HNT] [Slynt BRG] [Grumpli CHP] [Chubo WRD]
    [Nimeirien CPT] [Faemiriel RK] [Thangwen GRD] [Merrily HNT]

i like how this quest says it can be duo'd but i gather only if you both have the quest?.....really? i mean why bother?
    also the rohan npc's are about as tough as littler girls. did the writer of this quest even try playing it?
    Last edited by Hetweith; Sep 30 2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Right now on Landroval there is a MASSIVE chicken run going on, just for fun. http://www.twitch.tv/lotro_abby Things like this are not uncommon...... welcome to the joke that is endgame

Thumbs down Re: Quest: Taking a Stand

I've heard that the idea is that you're supposed to 'keep all the enemy (mobs) together'. Well, as a 71LM, the NPC's are somehow popping aggro from the far ends of the movable map (WELL beyond sight range!!!), so how on earth am I supposed to get aggro and keep them together. Not happenin'.

This quest is worse than herding chickens, it's monkey mania with each NPC randomly moving everywhere, for no apparent reason, fighting 1-3 NPCs by themselves, and so that all the 'good' NPCs are dead before the time is even at half, and being an LM against 4 12k Sig and 2 regular enemies -- btw, the Sig's are immune to mezzing/CC, so I'm wormfood in (at best 30seconds) .. and that's with +5Hope, all foods, maxed Traits, Cappie buffs, etc, running.

HUGE thumbs down to the devs on this one. Sorry guys. So far, RoI's been great, but this quest is simply psycho. I can only imagine how much worse it will turn into beyond this point.

PLEASE balance it out.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000947de/01007/signature.png]Leriol[/charsig]
    Leriol, Elf, 65 Hunter, WM Farmer, SM/K Woodworker | Carleriol, Man, 65 Captain WM/K Cook | Draleriol, Dwarf, 65 Guardian SM/K Metalsmith | Leriadan, Elf, 65 Rune-keeper WM/MA Scholar | Leridar, Man, 71 Lore-master WM/K Explorer | Lerison, Hobbit, 65 Burglar SM/K Tailor | Toleriol, Hobbit, 65 Minstrel SM/K Tailor| Rhororin, Dwarf, 50 Champion SM/K Weaponsmith | Lerskald, Hobbit, 29 Hunter, SM/K Jeweller

Just completed it with a trick as a hunter. Unless you go with a duo, or have good ICMR or self-heal to kite, or all the mobs are Normal and fix the arrgo range of the NPC Rangers, I think it is pretty much unsoloable.

The trick I has used:

If you has any stealth skill (Hunter with Camouflage/Burglar with Stealth/any class in elf-race with Silvan Shadow), just run up to the hill directly from where you start, and use the skill. Then wait when time run out while letting the Rangers all die, go back to the Scout Camp to return the quest. Done.

Was able to duo it as a Hunter, with my RK kinnie full-healing me.
    Morphen- Hunter
    Morpheth- Rank 6 Spider
    Kinship- "Tolkien's Legacy" on Vilya

Ok, what if I have a toon that can't hide? My LM won't be able to do it I am afraid. Can the quest chain be advanced? On my elvish RK I was able to hide and in that way get the quest line to isendale, but what about those poor characters that can't get through Taking a Stand?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000130007/01004/signature.png]Elenyae[/charsig]

I finished on my hunter solo at 72. No issues. Kept all the NPCs alive. I didn't do any tricks or stealth the entire time. I just targeted through the NPCs so the second they aggro on the mobs I started shooting
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000057ea6/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[B]¬∃x ∈ power (x > Barz)[/B]

I am having trouble with this quest as a hunter. Tried at least ten times, each time I wiped - everytime all of my NPC's die, and I am left alone with a bunch of mobs with at least 3 minutes to be left to survive. Once I had only 5 seconds left and they killed me. My friend, who is a champion, did not have any problems - he did it the first time and had 3 of the NPC's alive at the end!

I am saying really unbalanced solo instance if you ask me.
    Last edited by Amram; Oct 02 2011 at 03:30 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/23221000000139afd/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Amram View Post
    I am saying really unbalanced solo instance if you ask me.
    I;'m guessing the devs don't play loremasters or runekeepers, the idea of making us fight WAVES of enemies, includeing UNMEZZABLE signatures (whose "brilliant idea" was that? seriously.. denying a class thats already squishy one of it's standard surviablity tools.. not fun)

I got through it (after doing it twice & being too dim to realize you get out via horse) My trouble with it now is that you can't help someone else with it. It would be nice if this was repeatable or something like that - a reflection pool type quest.

I did it when it was orange, and it was VERY hard. (on my rune keeper) I tried healing some, which failed, since the Rohirrim guys just run off on their own too often. I finally just did as much damage as I could, as fast as I could, & that worked. I'm terrified to do it on my hunter though. (My son breezed through on a guardian tank, of course, & explained to us why it was easy....)

This one was a piece of cake on my champ, didn't lose a single Rohirrim, but I can imagine it would be nasty on a light armor class.

One of the keys I found is to keep your allies grouped up. When they get split fighting separate mobs they are more vulnerable. I would grab aggro on one mob and pull it to the other fight location, bringing my allies together. Also, keep pulling your allies back to the center as much as possible. That way, when you defeat a mob, you will get a few extra seconds of ocmr which is huge for you and your allies.

When I run on my hunter I expect I will have to circle kite a fair amount letting my allies wear down mobs I am kiting.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000095852/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

As a warden and after 2 fails at lvl 71, I managed to complete it (all alive) taking the agro "one by one" with precise blow, melee the archers asap, and helping the lonely rangers taking the mob back to the group.
    The Signature

yea this is another one of the many poorly designed quests sprinkled throughout this expansion, it's really an "unwinnable" design where at the end you have to not aggro or you won't last long enough.

Much like the book quest w/ the boar clan warriors at the end you have to ride out on a horse (note you can be getting pounded by extraneous aggro) and you have one shot to figure it all out on the fly.

If turbine is paying more than minimum wage for this program design they are getting ripped off.
    [COLOR=#ffa500][I]Hossi Smashi [/I][/COLOR][I][COLOR=#0000ff]Berenhad Halberen Berendur [/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]Belberella [/COLOR][COLOR=#008080]Beerbo Burpo
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#afeeee]Bron Yr Aur[/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]

[/COLOR][COLOR=#cccc33][B]Poxid - Snarlz[/B][/COLOR][/I]

My issue is the unbelievable AI of the Eorlings, it's like the only enemy they can successfully dispatch is the first spawn, after that they primarily attack any new spawn instead of finishing the one in front of them and their attack speed gets very slow.

After several tries I just gave up, ran up the northern slope and waited for the timer.
    Re-ni-AN-nen - strayed (ppt. of renia- 'to stray')
    Aeled Reniannen, Defender of Middle-earth ~ Nendhiniel, Forge-Warden : Captain and Wardenette from [EN-RP] Laurelin
    Fluffrash, Blade of Barashish ~ Nathraen, Conqueror of Towers : Warg Puppy and Spider Tailor from the darker side thereof
    Faradwen, Swift-Arrow : Huntress from [EN-RE] Landroval

As if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
    ~~~~~
    Kári was a little Dwarf. / Smaller than you or me. / And wherever Kári went / He took his axe… or three.

Cool Re: Quest: Taking a Stand

This was hard enough on my hunter with a minstrel helping me. I really could not guess how I would solo this on my own minstrel. A couple strategies came to mind. Warspeech and do as much damage as possible. Non-warspeech and heal the NPCs so they can survive.

The quest is 8 minutes long. There are 6 mobs that continuously respawn and advance towards the tree. They are a random mix of 14k Captains, 12k Riders and 6k Archers. I can solo a captain. With clever use of Cry of the Valar to fear, I might be able to handle two mobs. With significant kiting and healing... well, maybe 3. Probably not.

Without intervention, the 4 NPCs are defeated within about 3 minutes. For elite Rohan soldiers, they aren't too bright and don't take advantage of their strengths (teamwork, focusing on one target, etc).

So, I took the best course of action suggested by so many others. At the start of the quest, I talked to Leofward, grabbed my popcorn, ran up the North Slope and watched the action. After the quest timer expired, I ran back down, aggroing the mobs standing around the tree, clicked on the horse and escaped. Easy-peasy.

Not the best quest in Rise of Isengard. But at least it has a work-around for the impossibility of it all.
    Gilgorandir, the Elven Hunter - Serving Windfola since November, 2007

The NPCs have no morale regen at all - in or out of combat. A couple of ROI instances are like that, and it significantly adds to the difficulty.

My guard got flustered by the idiocy of the NPCs, who'd split up and fight individual duels throughout the area. This fustrated her attempts to tank... sure, she'd get agro from a rohirrim drag their mob over to the next one and repeat the process, but it takes time to take agro off all 4 rohirrim when they're all spread out, during which they take damage, and repeat this every spawn. Tragically, there was only one left when the timer ran down, and even he died a few minutes later (damn archers popping him). On her own she was able to carry on fighting till i got booted out of the instance...

My captain failed the quest first time, lost a couple npcs, after that he started getting healing agro from untapped archers and died. Went back in with healing traits, words of courage on npc1, words of courage on npc2, words of courage on npc3, words of courage on npc4, now the HOT is just about to expire on npc1 so switch back to npc1 and repeat. All 4 rohirrim alive at the end. But i could swear first time i was getting mostly signature spawns, second attempt they were pretty much all normal mobs and died quickly. Actually got a second or two of breathing space between waves.
    Elf females - Nemulias (grd) Arenor (min - retired)
    Men - Farrowden (Champ), Rhoswith (lm), Manorborn (cpt)
    In Training : Snorlin (rk)
    Tankstrels RIP [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssQv83k6arY[/url]

Yeah pretty bad quest. I ended up just running up the hill (no need to stealth) and waited until the timer ran out. Proving what a bad quest this is, that workaround really shouldn't work either LOL.

failed first time with my hunter, finished easy 2nd time solo, just pick your fight, kill the normals then the sigs who are aggroed on npc's.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
    we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and
    listening to repetitive electronic music."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e000000054261/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

The lack of morale regen of the npc surprised me too, and as you said this is not the only instance in RoI where the npcs never regen morale.

I've done this 4 times now - 2 failures & success with a champ (3rd time I didn't do any different just was lucky I guess) and once as a captain - spent the last 2 mins 40 seconds - on constant pot cd, self heal, last stand and luckily my archer kept me alive via healing mark, but next time will just wander up the hill for it is a silly quest.

OT which is worse this one or the one in dunbog marsh where the npcs will stop for a rest on an orc respawn spot?
    [SIZE=3][COLOR="#006400"]Wal's Army on Eldar - Walred (Champ), Walbert (Cappy), Walmur (RK), Walori (Guard), Walrandir (LM)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Massively posted an entertaining column on this quest o' fail yesterday. I like this quote from the author:

Taking a Stand failed me on so many levels that it's hard to identify just one spot where it went wrong. It's a perfect storm of badness, in a way. It's not that much fun of a quest to begin with. It's not balanced for every class. It has poor AI, unreasonable CC restrictions, and a brutal difficulty level for a standard quest. There's no way for someone to duo it with you unless she happens to have that quest as well. And the only way to "cheat" it is not heroic in the least.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11...-failed-quest/

Quote Originally Posted by RedlineJunkie View Post
    Massively posted an entertaining column on this quest o' fail yesterday.
    Yep, that was a good article. The only way I managed to complete this horrible quest on my Champion was, following the advice of some of my kinmates when I begged for suggestions after failing multiple times, just to survive as many of the waves as possible at the beginning until all of the idiot NPCs were dead, and then kite around like crazy for the last 5-6 minutes. I managed to maneuver my way back to the horse *just* as the timer was up -- I was never so glad to be done with an instance! If I had known about the hide-in-the-corner trick I would have done that. I have no pride.

A truly dismal experience. Maybe that was the point, though, since the whole storyline is about failure.

Unhappy Re: Quest: Taking a Stand

I tried with my LM 3 or 4 times. Wiped. Did all my buffs. Couldn't heal the NPC's. Not enough DPS. So, I finally tried hidding up the hill in Silvan Shadows while the Rohirrim died and then ran to the horse and got the h out of there with stun immunity. Ugh... bad way to win an instance.....I tried calling for a duo, but no takers....hummm. Then again there has been a lot of moral ambiguity, starting with helping the white hand... then participating in bullying prisoners... then an uruk enforcer in Orthanc!
    Last edited by endurin; Nov 14 2011 at 09:58 PM.

Dear Turbine: A lot of these supposedly "Solo"-type quests in RoI expansion are absurdly difficult. This is only one of them, namely those involving signature mobs that are way, way, way over-powered. They're several levels below my Hunter and can tear him to pieces in about 5 hits... AND they can't be stunned, feared, or trapped. Most of these quests don't even have quest buffs or NPC allies to take agro from the "Super-Signatures." Almost impossible for a non-tank same-level class to solo, except for tricks and workarounds like those mentioned above.

I can only assume that whoever was making a lot of these quests didn't realize or know how to mark them as "Small Fellowship" quests. I am also further assuming that whoever was designing the signatures didn't know at all what they were doing.

I could see from just one attempt what a poorly designed quest this was and that repeated attempts would only serve to drive me to frustration. So I hit the internet and unsurprisingly when typing "taking a stand" into google, the third suggested entry was "taking a stand lotro" - hmm, sure is a popular quest, and probably not because people love it so much... /endsarcasm.

Like others before me I just ran up the north hill and sat out the fight. I didn't even have to run back down to the horse as it teleported me out of the instance automatically after the timer finished.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast