We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

what is your game name and what does it mean/why did you choose it?

I'm interested in the names and their meaning to you and to the game! plus I wanted to see if i'm anywhere close to what other people have as names (not to copy just i don't want to have a stupid name) why i picked. It doesn't matter what class you are. TY<3

Re: what is your game name and what does it mean/why did you choose it?

Elovie - Female hobbit. I don't know why I picked this name, probably because all the other more hobbit-like names I wanted were taken. :P

Haelwyn - Sounded Rohanesque enough. I wanted to RP a woman of Rohan and was messing with the random name generator. I came across a similar name and tweaked it to my liking.

Haldvin - Random in-game Dwarf name generator.

Millona - Couldn't think of a Gondor name for my captain. She's an upper-class type girl, and the name sounded upper-classy to me.

Sometimes I put a lot of thought into my names, sometimes I don't.

On Landroval I have a hunter named Nimradhir, it's a random name from the generator I think. Either that or I mashed it up from a Sindarin name site. I can't remember.

not going to list mine as there are too many across the servers.

suffice to say i never use the same first name twice though i will share surnames.

all my names fit the lore and are based on race/gender/place of origin.

i use the internet to research the names and it rarely takes me longer then 5 minutes to find a unique name that is not taken.

my names at other games always where timeraider (dont ask me why), my first char here was a loremaster, afterwards i switched to RK, so i combined loremaster and timeraider into loreraider :P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e01000026dbfb/signature.png]Lorewriter[/charsig]

[url="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?418366-Journey-through-Flame-and-Darkness"]Wanderer of the Yourney through Flame and Darkness[/url]

Hildewyn -- I wanted a nice name for a Rohirrim girl. Rohirrim names tend to have Germanic roots, with Hilde being a nice German name (Hildegaard, Brunhilde, Mathilde). I added the suffix -wyn. Hilde also has a Sindarin translation of "heir" and wyn translates to "maiden." So her name has a double meaning as "heiress."

Hortensia -- No deeper meaning. An hortensia is a type of carnation, Hobbits have flower names. Hortensia is also a name used IRL, but it's kind of old fashioned. I basically went down a list of flower words until I found one that worked as a name and wasn't in use. She's a burglar and I play her as being kind of mischievous and ill-behaved, so I like the juxtaposition of a sweet old fashioned floral name with a sneaky little witch who likes to stab things in the kidneys (and don't think she doesn't play that for all it's worth!)

Aenaru -- This one started as kind of a joke. Her first name is Sindarin for "red bird" and her surname translates to "head cover." I was going for a gender-bending Robin Hood thing when I made her. She's grown a bit beyond that, but the "official" reasoning for it in RP terms is that when Smaug came to Dale, her family went west and south and became something of Nomads. She grew up living partially in Elven lands, Gondor, Bree...anywhere there was a road, basically.

I have more, but those are the only ones I really play that much and so have characters established.
    Last edited by SailorVee; Sep 29 2011 at 03:28 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001bc373/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Derran - dwarf/hunter - is named for my char in another game, also a dwarf hunter. He was Darren, but that was already taken here.

Lamium is a flower, befitting a female hobbit.

Pelros, elf/LM, I used the random generator, got something I sorta liked, and tweaked and shortened it. When I hit on 'Pelros' I though that sounded like a good elvish name. Only until I played him several levels did it dawn on me why. If they make me change it, so be it, but I hope not - P. is likely to become my main, I'm really liking loremaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmokk View Post
    You got a Jalad as well?
    [center]Hi, my name is:
    [color=gray]Liathron[/color]~[color=red]Audrel[/color]~[color=orange]Gress[/color]~[color=yellow]Laureaseas[/color]~[color=green]Anzeleran[/color]~[color=blue]Dosha[/color]~[color=purple]Linasereth[/color]
    [color=gray]Champ[/color]\[color=red]Burg[/color]\[color=orange]Guard[/color]|[color=yellow]RK[/color]|[color=green]Hunt[/color]/[color=blue]Ward[/color]/[color=purple]Mini[/color]
    [color=gray]Elf[/color]\[color=red]Man[/color]\[color=orange]Dwf[/color]|[color=yellow]Elf[/color]|[color=green]Elf[/color]/[color=blue]Man[/color]/[color=purple]Elf[/color]
    [color=gray]75[/color]\[color=red]39[/color]\[color=orange]7[/color]|[color=yellow]18[/color]|[color=green]22[/color]/[color=blue]24[/color]/[color=purple]35[/color]
    ...and I'm an Alt'aholic.[/center]

-----Your Conseince-----
    Valicetra [url]http://valicetra.deviantart.com/[/url]

My hunter is called 'Calamis'. There's really no real meaning behind it (as far as I know - it just popped out).

I named my hunter like that because it's the name of a much beloved elf archer PC/NPC of mine on many Pen & Paper RPG campaigns I took part of.

Annúnion is Sindarin for "Son of the West" or "Son of the Sunset", a name I thought very appropriate for a Man of Gondor of old Númenórean lineage. In-game naming restrictions forced me to make it simply Annunion, which doesn't look half as good, but oh well. His surname, Arantir, can be translated as "King's Guard", signifying both his character class (Guardian) and his private allegiance to the line of the Kings of Men.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001dc7c9/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I had to actual go and write these down, some I forget how to spell on occasion XP

Liathron - The base 'liath' means gray in Gaelic, so named because if you ever see him, he is gray.

Linasereth - I think the base word in here means song, or singer in elvish, but I don't remember so well any more which one as I'm not as familiar with elvish as I am with Gaelic

Anzelaran - The base word here is green in Gaelic, I'm sure you can begin to see a pattern here with my elf names.

Laureasearas - Meaning golden leaves in elvish

Audrel- Is my one human, and this is a name I've used for another roguish RP character in D&D

and finaly we have...

Gress - It was the only dwarf sounding name that wasn't taken

So those are my character names, I know I have a lot of them...I might have a problem with the character generator...
    Last edited by Valicetra; Oct 03 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: clarity
    [center]Hi, my name is:
    [color=gray]Liathron[/color]~[color=red]Audrel[/color]~[color=orange]Gress[/color]~[color=yellow]Laureaseas[/color]~[color=green]Anzeleran[/color]~[color=blue]Dosha[/color]~[color=purple]Linasereth[/color]
    [color=gray]Champ[/color]\[color=red]Burg[/color]\[color=orange]Guard[/color]|[color=yellow]RK[/color]|[color=green]Hunt[/color]/[color=blue]Ward[/color]/[color=purple]Mini[/color]
    [color=gray]Elf[/color]\[color=red]Man[/color]\[color=orange]Dwf[/color]|[color=yellow]Elf[/color]|[color=green]Elf[/color]/[color=blue]Man[/color]/[color=purple]Elf[/color]
    [color=gray]75[/color]\[color=red]39[/color]\[color=orange]7[/color]|[color=yellow]18[/color]|[color=green]22[/color]/[color=blue]24[/color]/[color=purple]35[/color]
    ...and I'm an Alt'aholic.[/center]

-----Your Conseince-----
    Valicetra [url]http://valicetra.deviantart.com/[/url]

Talventus; Elf Lormaster; Gladden: I was listening to this epic song from which I'll impart a line: "I am the voice in wind and the pouring rain...The dance of the leaves when the Autumn winds blow". I knew I wanted an elf Loremaster and that Sindarin (elvish language) was derived some from Latin so I went to google translate that said the latin name for wind was Ventus. Since then I found a Sindarin dictionary file:///C:/Users/Stauffer/Desktop/dict-en-sd.html and found the real word was far off but it sounded worse anyway: Gwaew. My Bear partner as of now is named Braig which IS Sindarin for Fierce. Tal is just one of the suggested prefixes

I'd tell you about my other character's name but time forbids

Name generator threw out *Feathalion* for my Elf character , strong will or strong spirit i believe , was rather chuffed with that.
    Cuthilion
    Children of Iluvatar
    Laurelin

I'll share one of mine with you: Stendec

I won't share the whole story but I will say that the term "Stendec" is at the heart of an intriguing mystery. 64 Years ago a passenger aircraft was shuttling passengers on a routine flight over the Andes mountains. It was minutes from landing. The aircraft radio operator, expecting to land soon, closed transmissions with the ground with a cryptic message: "STENDEC". The ground operator wasn't familiar with this word and asked that the message be repeated, twice. Twice the answer came back "STENDEC". That was the last message received from the plane. The plane never arrived at the airport. Rescuers searched the aircraft's route but couldn't find a crash sight. The aircraft had simply vanished.

It wasn't till about 50 years later that the mystery began to reveal itself, opening up like a blossom in the sun. Most of the story of what happened is clear now. It is, indeed, quite tragic. But one mystery remains. We can speculate and conjecture but no one will ever truly know what the on board radio operator meant when he sent the message "STENDEC".

Hopefully I've piqued your interest and you'll follow the links below and read much more in depth and interesting description the story of Stendec and ill-fated Avro Lancastrian Star Dust.

Star Dust on Wikipedia
    NOVA: Vanished!

I think Wikipedia gives the best, most concise synopsis. There's good stuff on the NOVA! site too though. And you can find plenty more if you search the internet.

For me, when I read the story I thought it would make a great D&D character name. Turns out it works pretty well for LotR:O too!

Nimpriel - Pale daughter. 'Nimp' also implies frailty or weakness. I deliberately chose it and her appearance to be ironic: she is as thin and pale as I could get her, clothed in things that accentuate this, while her personality is that of a thoroughly uncompromising warrior. She refuses other names and titles.

Narwyn - Fire, female suffix. Just cause.

calmante/elf/hunter- no RP here. Portugese for calm/soothing

Lancearon/ elf/warden - Got it off an sindrain translator translated to my RL- name... no joke got lucky

Daren/hobbit/burg - Just seemed to fit the hobbit profile. Hobbits seemed to have 2 syllable names. Diffrent forms of daren seem to be popular so i know im not the only one who thinks so.

Domonic/man/captain - Easy male name for man.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0100001522f0/signature.png]Charolet[/charsig]
    Hunter-Calmante-R6, Warg-Morgdush-R6

Den of Iniquity, Seattle Metroplex, NW-US, NorthAm, Sol-3, Sector 2814

Being a semi-controlled altoholic, the Coterie contains six characters with a seventh waiting in the wings. As long-time role-player, I've come up with reasons why they all share a Bree household. Naturally, I've spent too much time working on what their names should be. Lastly, being a Tolkien geek, most of their names are Sindarin.

Bretobrand Longtoes is my main character, based on my default character for starting many games: the Snarky but Heroic Brick/ Tank & Compulsive Carouser. Hobbits lads are known for having long first names that get shortened (e.g. Meriadoc to Merry) so he's usually called Breto. What the name actually means is lost in the mists of history, The last name of Longtoes is an accurate description of a family trait that is the source of many amusing stories.

My second character is my Man Champion, Corungil Threethorns, who is a good hearted, loyal and trifle dense farmer from Dale. The first name means Cunning Star which has yet to rub off on him. The family name I took from my SCA household from what grew on our property (Holly, Roses & Blackberries).

I chose an Elven Hunter for my third using a name I'd come up with after studying the Silmarillion, Ambadil Calungil. The first name means, roughly. "Friend of the Mundane World" which is not always a good thing to say about elvenkind. He prefers the rough ways of other Free People, even the dwarves! His last name (which I just realized is misspelled) means Green Star that he saw on his wedding day, which coincided with the Change of the World (SA 3319). When he sees it again, it will be time to leave.

Next up is my Dwarven Minstrel from the Lonely Mountain, Dringil Starsong. He was born there and grew up hearing of the adventure that brought dwarves back to the mountain. His family wanted him to stay there and rebuild but he just wanted to have some fun (and get away from his sibling, see below). His friend, Corungil, had already done it so he followed him. His actual names are secret but he likes being called Hammer Spark and he does a lot of singing beneath the night sky.

Next up is my grumpy Warden/ Spear Maiden from Rohan, Eryngil Oefenstarr. Her birth name is only used by her parents and her horrid little sister and will never be revealed to the Coterie. Always more fascinated with the woods than the stables, she was called Forest Star by spinster aunt, brothers, and friends. Her family name is the Saxon version of my family name, Evenstar, so I can claim her as an ancestor.

Last is my sharply dressed Dwarven Rune-Keeper, Galungil. After hearing about the fun that his sibling, Dringil, was having, he packed up his stones and headed West. So far, Lucky Star has been enjoying himself immensely, zapping evil, dispatching monsters and embarrassing his more serious sibling. Their resemblance to another set of siblings is just a coincidence, honest! At some point, he'll get a surname reflecting his adventures.

Oh yes, waiting in the wings is an Elven Lore-Master, Forgil Paferil. North Star a very young elf-maiden from the Far South, who's always preferred the moon & stars to the sun. Her surname, Book Lover, was given to her when she chose reading over dancing. She didn't see it as insult and immediately adopted it to the chagrin of the spurned elf-lad. At some point, she'll leave to search for Rivendell libraries and her long lost uncle, Ambadil.
    Last edited by Carven; Oct 18 2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar Corrections
    Carven's Coterie is still active despite any evidence to the contrary.
    Be Seeing You!

A long time ago, There was this Norse Viking that was a well-known fighter. He was involved in many battles and killed many people. There was this one incident in particular where this Viking and his fleet were sailing towards an island far North. It was very foggy so no one on the boat could see anything or anyone on the island until they got there. As they stepped out of the boat they all got out of the ship and began walking up the beach towards the forest. The minute they got off the beach was when they realized they stepped into an ambush. These people ambushing the Vikings outnumbered them 2-1. Now, this one Viking was not surprised, nor was he nervous. He simply began defending himself. Over time, the Vikings slowly started dying to this enemy, but the Viking never let up, never lost his cool, never tried to run or hide, just continued fighting. Hours later, the Vikings numbers were reduced to a little less then a dozen, and there were still a good number of enemies still on the beaches. Soon after, it was just the Viking. He swings his mighty axe at his enemy and it goes right in between the shoulder and the neck. As he takes out his axe he looks up at the sky. He realizes the fog has cleared up, and the sun has started to shine.

At that moment this Viking's head was cut off.

Think it was a good story? I made it up as I went along. haha

I chose Syntho because it sounds cool.

Owwkaaay... not on a roleplay server, but that don't matter much for the name history thing imo. These are the mains:

Jorri Stonebreaker, Dwarf Guardian... well... truth be told, I was inspired by the Warhammer Dwarf Slayer army and its "Look Snorri- Trolls!" rule that allowed the Dwarf Slayers to take an extra move if I recall correctly. Snorri of course was not available, so I ened up with Jorri instead. Stonebreaker: Because all dwarfs need a surname, and Jorri carries a pickaxe.

Azrakhul Shieldhammer: Even worse, I had to come up with a dwarven name, thought of the Chamber of Mazarbul, and mentally generated Azrakhul. There you go. Shieldhammer because (this is his 2nd surname, the first is lost in time) he found a cloak in the 16th hall with two hammers, and he prefers hammers... and he is a Champion, so he hammers a lot. Oh, and a Metalsmith :-). If singing a song about Azrakhul, his name is pronounced "Azzie-cool".

Salmira Twoblades: Ah, infamous Salmira, treasure hunter and expert cookie-thief ( ask Azzie). Salmira, because I had come up with Salmirasse in a previous game, in a different time, but that don't sound hobbity, and Salmira does, and Twoblades because her ancestry is somewhat unclear in the names department ( her father Gorbulac still needs a last name, but my wife is happy with it) and she prefers swords above anything else, even though she is a burlgar and gets a paltry 2% damage bonus with daggers and/or clubs. Of course, she carries Gorbulac's Tool Belt. Because, you know, the tools help her to break into houses (she being a burglar).

Hallwyn Nuinloth: Hallwyn because my wife's mini is called Lyllwyn and she needed a husband, and Hallwyn sounded nice. Nuinloth, why, means "Beneath Blossoms" in Sindarin. Pointy-eared elf hunter, this one.

Brairn Thorvaeldsson: Brairn because uhm, it sounded ok, Thorvaelddson because we wanted to hit undying together (Thorvaeld, my wife's dwarven hunter, and Brairn), and Throvaeld made it, but Brairn did not, and as a consolidation was adopted by Thorvaeld.

The so-called minor mains, another seven or so, first need to prove themselves by entering Moria.
    Roses are red, Polar bears are white, if you meet one at night you'll get quite a fright.

I mainly use the random generator and just go with what sounds good, but lately I've been turning toward lore-appropriate names, searching Realelvish and other sites for names that carry a proper meaning.

Baralur (Champion of Gondor): My very first character and my main (even if he competes for this status with my other character on Imladris, Denenthera). I basically used the random generator until the name came up and thought it sounded cool. As with a lot of names gotten on the random generator, trying to translate the character's name into Sindarin or whatever other language it's supposed to be in is kind of a nightmare. "Bara" means "fiery" in Sindarin, and definitely fits the hot-blooded personality that I sometimes display with him. But there is no "lur" in Sindarin, and the only name that has it as the end is Gandelur, a second-age Exilic-Sindarin name meaning Heart of the Lyre, and the translation from Quenya makes it plain that the L is part of "quendel."

Then I checked out the thread for Pumyra's RP Prompts in the Landroval server forum, in particular the prompt "What's in a Name?" where her character Talaesyn explained that her name came from elements of both of her parents' names. I decided to name Baralur's father Baranir (meaning "fiery man"), and have his mother lend the other part of their son's name from the great Elven ancestor of her family, Gandelur, who fell in love with a Nûmenorian woman named Narûphel a thousand or so years ago, had a number of kids by her, and eventually outlived her (as is the way with Elven romances with Men, even the longer-lived ones from Nûmenor) and withdrew to the refuge of Edhelion with that famous grief that Elves who lose their loves are known for before going out in a blaze of glory when Skorgrím Dourhand and his dwarves made their assault on the place.

Now thanks to this, I've got a Second Age love story in the works, an in-story explanation for Baralur's preference for dual-wielding (even if he also uses two-handed weapons a lot) and interest in weaponsmithing, and two legendary Second Age swords that belonged to both lovers that he plans to recover and reforge when he gets high enough in level.

Denenthera (Guardian and Shield-maiden of Rohan): My other main character, this was another case of mucking around with the random generator until I got a name that satisfied me. I couldn't even tell you what that name means in Old English or Anglo-Saxon -- the closest translation that I could come up with after looking through this site for Anglo-Saxon/Rohirric names and name-parts was "servant of the valley" or some such, though it's also worth noting that the second half of her name also means "untamed" in Greek, which also describes her quite well. It's definitely a non-standard name for a Rohir woman, and one that I will definitely need to go through some hoops in order to fit into the lore like I have with Baralur. Especially since she's also going to be Baralur's partner and love interest in the ongoing storyline that I'm working on for them.
    Last edited by Baralur; Nov 13 2011 at 10:51 AM.

Estelriel - Female Elven Warden - Means "Maiden crowned/adorned with a wreath/garland of hope"

Heledir - Male Elven Hunter - Means Kingfisher (literally, the bird), and as the kingfisher is a hunting bird, I thought it was appropriate.

Hundvir - Male Dwarven RK - I liked the name. Not sure if it means anything.

Periadoc - Male Hobbit Burglar - I liked the name.

Caerathon - Male Elven Champion - Base word Caeraes, which means wall of thorns. Thought it worked well for a champ.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000006a50b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Hundvir - Lvl 75 RK | Periadoc - Lvl 41 Burglar | Estelriel - Lvl 75 Warden
    Proud member of Daro A Maetho, Elven RP Kinship, Crickhollow

AW: what is your game name and what does it mean/why did you choose it?

Arhum - I'm human (Rohan). It's the name of a character in my Lord of the Ring - Fan Fiction. Arhum Tharagth in full.

He's Haradrim and a traitor to his people. His clan wanted to join the battle on the side of Sauron, but he refused to follow.
    He was punished for it and inprisoned. They wanted to excecute him as a loyality trade to Sauron, but he got free and fled the south. He stole a horse from one of his kin and crossed the borders to the north and further to the east. He went over the mountains, fighting orks and trolls on his way. Arhum went all the way to Rohan, were he was captured and thrown in prison. After Saruman took control over Theoden and he refused to follow him as well, Eomer released him and disguised himas one of his own. (that's how far I got right now)

Arhum has a big scar over his left eye and his mouth from the tortures he had to endure in Harad. He's a skilled fighter with spear, swords and bow. One of his own weapons is a chain-sickle-blade (like I call it). It's a long chain made of steel that has a sickle on one end and a dagger on the other half. The chains got two staffs between that gives him hold.

Looks like this in some way http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/v...f/assassin.jpg
    "I may not go with my people... . But this war is still my war... ."

mine have been updated.
    Last edited by Wyndelleu; Mar 10 2012 at 11:28 PM.

While I've borrowed both of my characters names from TES lore, they still happen to be fairly lore appropriate.

Namirae; borne from "Namira", the daedric goddess of darkness, and is often associated with spiders, insects, slugs, etc.
    That's why she's my thief.

Kynareth, the goddess of the heavens, the winds, the elements, and the unseen spirits of the air.
    That, however, has no impact on the actual character. The character herself is a heavily armored ex-guard from Gondor who is stoic and sometimes outright mean.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002d5d05/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Bootsy - it's the diminutive form of Bouteloua (Latin name for Bluegrass) an appropriate name for a Hobbit Minstrel. Her name gets shortened further to Boots.

Himminga - Anglo Saxon for Boots (My alt for Man events on Laurelin)

Habadhond - Sindarin for tall shoes (Boots) {My alt for Elf based events on Laurelin}

Throngol - A Sindarin mashup for Leaf-blade, appropriate for a weaponsmith.

And several others that have nickname names because the real name it already taken e.g. Popsy short for Papaver, that and poppy were already taken.
    Last edited by Vestrinexx; Dec 20 2011 at 01:00 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000144989/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast