We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Song of aid

Unhappy Song of aid

I'm surprised no one has brought this up.. maybe because no one uses it? Previous use of Song of aid used to be (for minstrels is what I'm looking at since I solo with my mini): Minstrel: Unlocks all Ballads and Anthems. now it doesn't .. nothing lights up.. it says it unlocks .. a heal.. that's always unlocked.. Anyone else notice this problem? Usually I would put that up right before a boss fight and would use song of aid that would unlock one of my Legendary attacks that used to only be unlocked after a tier 3 but now are permanently unlocked.. so.. what's the benefit to a solo mini using this?.. nothing.

Re: Song of aid

Quote Originally Posted by Borikitty View Post
    I'm surprised no one has brought this up.. maybe because no one uses it? Previous use of Song of aid used to be (for minstrels is what I'm looking at since I solo with my mini): Minstrel: Unlocks all Ballads and Anthems. now it doesn't .. nothing lights up.. it says it unlocks .. a heal.. that's always unlocked.. Anyone else notice this problem? Usually I would put that up right before a boss fight and would use song of aid that would unlock one of my Legendary attacks that used to only be unlocked after a tier 3 but now are permanently unlocked.. so.. what's the benefit to a solo mini using this?.. nothing.
    from dev diary

Song of Aid:
    Class abilities that are opened while Song of Aid is active are consistent with the changes made to all classes. Skills or abilities unlocked are a little more potent in some cases.

from old lorebook

Song of Aid:
    The minstrel inspires his fellows to heroic feats.\n\nBurglar: Gains a Critical Response.\n\nCaptain: Gains an Enemy Defeat Response.\n\nChampion: Gains an Enemy Defeat Response.\n\nGuardian: Gains a Block Response and a Parry Response.\n\nHunter: Gains a Parry Response.\n\nLore-master: Beacon of Hope has a decreased Cooldown and Morale cost.\n\nMinstrel: Unlocks Bolster Courage for free and War-speech Calls.\n\nRune-keeper: Scribe's Spark and Prelude to Hope have decreased Cooldowns.\n\nWarden: Shield Piercer has a decreased Cooldown.

------------------

So , I believe it still does all that...it is mostly for fellowship help,...usually you'd announce you will drop it so others can prepare for when their skills go up.

From the sounds of it,..Roi gave it a slight buff too.
    [color=orange][size=3][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/Tabloid42]"Welby's Machinima and Vids Channel"[/url][/size][/color]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/welbyflickr/sets/]Welby's Cosplay & Con pics[/url]

I've only soloed so that was something I used to use right before boss fight.. now it's literally useless to a minstrel. Given also that the Minstrel has a line on the description that it's supposed to unlock.. it's not working as intended as the one thing it unlocked now is a heal that was already unlocked.. In the past it unlocked powerful songs that did something.. so removing all benefit to the minstrel.... rendering it useless to the Minstrel who's casting this. It's also a deed for use to use it over and over.. so what's the point of using it over and over when it gives zero benefit?

It unlocks warspeech calls for those not in that stance and it allows you to cast bolster courage on others if you are in warspeech.

In warspeech bolster courage becomes bolster my courage, song of aid unlocks the regular version. It is a grouping skill not meant for solo.

Good info, I was wondering about it as well. Also, has anyone tested to see if the improved version still updates the deed? Believe it or not, I still haven't used the skill 400 times in 3 years of playing. >.< lol
    "The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."
    [b][u][ M e n e l d o r ][/u][/b] | Aethniniel || Aethnin || Aethwen |

I would typically use it to quick cast a anthem of the free peoples before..

Since it was quicker to hit song of aid, wait a couple seconds for it to open , then to chain up a ballad.

I dont think I ever used it to help the fellowship.. as its way to long of a song.. If I actually had that sort of time during most instances, it would behoove me to jump in a few hundred dps then unlock most of those skills.

I think I used to use it during turtle as not much happening at the start of fight, to unlock chams red haze defeat response

But I dont know if does that anymore..

It appears that it might not be all that useful other then to play around in a WS build for a 3 man or something..

Frankly Im contented for some time that some of these fellowship skills should be insta or small duration songs..

like the fellowship manevour one, unless you have a burg calling it out, its impossible to predict, and frankly your stuck half the time healing someone, thats why you have the last fm slot to start with. Its more importatn for me to finish that bolster courage then to 10% increase on that fm. It should be a toggle skill or once you hit it , stays till a fm goes off.

Oh well.. its a small skill really, and works well with burgs in group.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000001f0d6/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    75's: Mevelvith (HNT), Carfail (LM), Anglegas (CHN), Silverwinds (RK), Prada (Burg)
    SeaofStars(WD) Upnext: 12 CPT Lanmoir

The Improved version DOES update the deed (I never had it completed either), hehe.
    [CENTER][color=#CC66FF][b]Nadjia[/b] ~ Minstrel of Edhellond[/color] * [color=#7777FF][b]Sonjia[/b] ~ Captain of Dale-Lands[/color] * [color=#33CCCC][b]Jorjia[/b] ~ Rune-Keeper of Mirkwood[/color]
    [URL=http://www.theguardiansofhonor.com][B]GUARDIANS OF HONOR[/B][/URL]
    [I]Elendilmir Server[/I][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Dedfyre View Post
    It unlocks warspeech calls for those not in that stance and it allows you to cast bolster courage on others if you are in warspeech.

In warspeech bolster courage becomes bolster my courage, song of aid unlocks the regular version. It is a grouping skill not meant for solo.
    Bolster courage was never locked. it's a main heal that's open at all times grouped or solo. The original use for Song of Aid in the past was to open Anthem nukes and all tier 3 ballads regardless of grouping. Now it does absolutely nothing for a Minstrel. Sure it does more for other classes but for a minstrel it serves no purpose. When I'm done with my deed it's going to sit useless.. which is a shame since I used it constantly when soloed to start off an encounter.

Yeah, its a little uninspiring. But I never used this skill overmuch, except for the champs I liked and LMs during heavy damage. Yes, I stopped healing, and I let the LM spam its heals. While I peacefully channeled away - for the duration, they can outheal you, and it saves more important CDs like TS. Both of these will still work, so I'm not disappointed.

Editted to add: This only works with LMs who aren't morons when you tell them you're about to start SoA.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000082ef7/01004/signature.png]Armytha[/charsig]

I used it always before a tough fight (while tanks was going to pull).

I mainly used since it used to unlock all ballad tiers with the healing bonus. I would at least use one of the ICMR buffs and depending on traiting a threat reduction for the start of the fight. Benefit of using song of aid was that you got these up very fast (more than 5 seconds before normal pull) with extra benefit of no threat generated.

So song of aid seems to go from a nice skill to be used in most tough fights to get a lead without drawing unwanted agro to a niche skill that I will only use in AOE heavy fights when guardian is tanking... just to help get those adds faster, as a guard starting combat with both reactives open is very nice to get a big AOE threat lead.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/22219000000054873/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=#000000]Mordecai CHM - Morken GRD - Gilthen MIN (and many others)[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]