We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

concerns over Finesse

hey guys, is anyone else concerned about how monsters having finesse is going to affect wardens?

last night i suddenly realized that since our tanking ability relies on avoidances, putting finesse on monsters almost seems particularly biased against wardens.

of course i don't really know how it'll play out... just a concern.

Re: concerns over Finesse

lol are u joking?

I honestly dont think it will matter much as long is your finesse is equal to that or greater then the monsters as far as regular baddies as for tanking bosses i honestly kinda like you really want to see how that plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by hecticjackel View Post
    I honestly dont think it will matter much as long is your finesse is equal to that or greater then the monsters as far as regular baddies as for tanking bosses i honestly kinda like you really want to see how that plays out.
    so you're saying that your finesse cancels the effect of your opponent's finesse?

i wasn't aware that was the case.

You just explained the basic premise of Finesse's function.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000008a48/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by gniht View Post
    so you're saying that your finesse cancels the effect of your opponent's finesse?

i wasn't aware that was the case.
    Finesse doesn't cancel Finesse. Finesse reduces B/P/E.

For players, it allows them to more consistently hit Bosses.

For Bosses, it further differentiates Tanks and Non-Tanks. Player B/P/E Caps being raised to 25% is what allows Tanks to overcome Boss Finesse.

For Wardens, it means there's a reason to use all our +Defence Gambits again.
    Last edited by Fenaril; Sep 26 2011 at 02:16 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001a23dc/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Fenaril View Post
    Finesse doesn't cancel Finesse. Finesse reduces B/P/E.

For players, it allows them to more consistently hit Bosses.

For Bosses, it further differentiates Tanks and Non-Tanks. Player B/P/E Caps being raised to 25% is what allows Tanks to overcome Boss Finesse.

For Wardens, it means there's a reason to use all our +Defence Gambits again.
    this is how i thought it worked. it basically makes defense gambits more critical on bosses. but that's what i'm worried about. we still don't have a very good way to get defenses and establish agro initially. i guess i'm the only one who sees monsters having finesse as particularly bad for wardens?

Quote Originally Posted by gniht View Post
    this is how i thought it worked. it basically makes defense gambits more critical on bosses. but that's what i'm worried about. we still don't have a very good way to get defenses and establish agro initially. i guess i'm the only one who sees monsters having finesse as particularly bad for wardens?
    The TL;DR answer is we can't know yet... but we will soon

The longer answer?

-If Boss Finesse is ~5% we are better than pre-RoI
    -If Boss Finesse is ~10% we are roughly the same as pre-RoI
    -If Boss Finesse is >10% we are potentially worse than RoI

The reason I said "potentially" is we don't know how Boss Finesse is actually applied especially where we might be "over-capped" - i.e. if we have >25% Block with Defences up, does Boss Finesse subtract from the 25% Cap or from our "Over-Cap" totals? Nobody knows.

The biggest problem I've seen from people worried about Finesse is they all assume Turbine is setting all Boss Finesse at >10% levels, when in actuality we don't know if any Bosses have Finesse that high.

Be patient. Don't freak out. Take a breath and consider it is highly unlikely that Turbine is actively trying to break Tanking in LOTRO, and even if by some amazing chance after Beta it is broken that Turbine won't work quickly to fix it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001a23dc/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]