We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Warden Discovery

Okay, so I've taken your advice, and pulled my Warden out (Lv.48, catching up to my friends who are Lv.56).
    It was interesting remembering all the Gambits, it took an afternoon to get back in the swing, but am rolling pretty smoothly now.
    Earlier today a cocky DPS made a second pull after I made my own, we barely made it through, was on the cusp of death for longer than I would usually care to be, and it dawned on me.. Part of why I quit playing my Warden before was that I got bored, and it took that near wipe to realize I only have fun when Im about to die, or everyone else is about to die for that matter..
    Take my Burglar for instance, Im applying Tricks, Riddling, Stunning, Starting CJs, my work is cut out for me even on a smooth group and can occupy myself with that, but as a Warden, I get terribly bored in a perfect group...
    Wardens although complex due to the Gambit system (requiring muscle memory, and timing), are truly simple, especially when not Tanking, its severely repetitious with only a handful of skills (no utility at all) that are simply more difficult to execute than pushing a single button (like every other class).
    Im not complaining, or QQing, and maybe only stating the obvious.
    Its the only class I've played that only really thrives when your about to die.
    I guess thats why Im torn, when it comes to the Warden, and why I often feel as if they are lacking something, I have to have a little (or alot of) chaos to actually be having fun.

As afore mentioned, I am only lv.48 - Does this change?
    Did you guys reach this same conclusion?

Yours Truly,
    -B

Re: Warden Discovery

That's why I pull more and more mobs until I can barely survive. Just keep making it harder on yourself. My friend and I intentionally screw up instances just to see if we can pull it off. If it is too easy make it hard that's my view on the matter
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000025e7/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Its not just Warden, the same could be said about other classes. Hunters cycle through their DPS cycle, which is mostly just PS/QS/BA. Champs, Hunters, Cappies, etc. all have their respective DPS cycles they go through 85% of the time. The only difference is they have cooldowns, and Wardens have "cool-ups" via gambit building.

That being said, at 48 you have most of what you need except DbtD. Beyond that, its mostly just "improved" versions of your existing skills. There is more strategy to it than what you're describing, though...you have to know when to stack bleeds, when to switch to straight DPS, how to balance your heals, how to hold aggro when you're with others, etc.

The problem sounds like it might just be that you like playing CC/debuff classes, where theres 'a lot to do' against an opponent besides just damage. Which is fine, the world needs LMs and burglars too

I dunno about OP, but i keep my warden near the brink of death most of them time. mostly by soloing small fellowship quest at or 1-2 level below. and grey/green full fellowship quests.

DbtD is one of the key warden skill, and contribute to what i feel makes the warden playstyle interesting - morale surfing. lost count of the numerous times when I pulled back from brink of defeat by gritting my teeth, switching stance, and spamming self heal, stopping at 45% morale to switch to spamming power regen, and repeating the cycle cause the HoTs wear off and your morale plummets to 15%....

on the other hand, i have also lost count of the numerous times i crashed and burned during morale surfing

Dear OP, you, at level 48, have truly discovered the meaning of the warden class, to a greater degree than most wa(r)dens I know ingame.

I nominate the OP for Waden status.

Before Waden status can be attained, one must discover the awesomeness that is Conviction.

Also, unlike a certain Steve, one must morale surf under 100 hp without forgetting his/hers morale leeches with 5+ on lvl mobs around him/her.

Sorry, forgot to answer the OP.

As afore mentioned, I am only lv.48 - Does this change?
    Did you guys reach this same conclusion?
    Nope.

I did, most I've met ingame don't. Hopefully most of the wardens posting on here have though.

Its the only class I've played that only really thrives when your about to die.
    I would disagree with this though. Any class is really fun when actually pushing its limits. Very little occasion to do so though.