We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Warden Duo (2box) looking for advice

Hey folks,

My question is about what class to combine with a Warden, and which races for both?

I need help finding a setup for taking down just about anything its possible to take down, in particular bosses like Tyrants and in instances where possible. That's my goal. I love to explore and to defeat what I find, even if its really tough.

I 2box most of the time. Sometimes, my wife plays the bot - so the bot cannot be too complex (cant be a 2nd warden) but it can be moderate difficulty.

I generally do both Keyboards manually, but I can setup synergy etc to run they both off 1 keyboard if necessary.

It is nice if both races have stealth, which I like, but if you think it will be easier without, then we can skip that! I am fond of Elves and Hobbits (as you can see), but slightly more fond of Elves, unless there is a lot of shouting then the Hobbit wins.

Here is what I have currently....
    Id like to level as little as possible. Based on what you think it should be the 2nd class, do you see a way I can fit in a warden? These alts are low so I dont mind swapping them around accounts, but if possible itd be nice to not! I am not a play all day kind of person.

On account A I have:-----------------------------And on account B I have:
    Champion (Elf) 65 --------------------------------Minstrel (Elf) 65 *MAIN*
    Captain 29-----------------------------------------Runekeeper (Elf) 62
    Hunter (Elf) 24------------------------------------Warden (Elf) 17
    Guardian (Elf) 20----------------------------------Warden (Hob) 17
    Minstrel (Hob) 17---------------------------------Guardian (Hob) 29

I used to do the Champ/Minstrel setup, but the Champ simply gets hurt too much and the minstrel ends up healing all the time. You cant defeat the really tough bosses this way, and I want the Warden to fill the Champs shoes. Since I have to level the Warden, I dont mind levelling the helper if RK/Minstrel isnt ideal. I want the best combination! If a captain will be total win, I can make a captain on account B. Will having a man however impact stealth, etc? I dont know, so thats why Im asking. Also, which races?

Help me out!
    Last edited by E_Loomis; Sep 22 2011 at 10:04 PM.

Re: Warden Duo (2box) looking for advice

i duo boxed an RK and an Captain and it worked very well. I ran the captain as my main and the RK as my secondary. while the rk is a complicated character, it isn't bad to have as a dps secondary mode -- you basically limit everything the rk is capable of doing and focus on the basics.

Cappy - big buffs, on the move heals and a herald - bot of a bot.

Op, if you expect to take down bosses or keep aggro with a warden while you are afk on him and on your other tune.. umm.. roll a guard. Wardens get enough bad rep for doing a mediocre job and you will get tired of one of your tunes dying. You will need to hit keys constantly to keep the warden combat going.. auto attacking will just get you killed. Warden is not a face roll class...

Head to the stickies at the top to see how active you will be.

If, however, you want to put your wife's tune on autofollow and drag her around to auto level her and make it so it is impossible for her to ever learn to play her class properly because you power-leveled her.. pick any other class, maybe a hunter to help you kill faster when she can face-roll on the keys occasionally or a RK where she has less interaction. LM will be too busy and has too steep of a learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlgon View Post
    Op, if you expect to take down bosses or keep aggro with a warden while you are afk on him and on your other tune.. umm.. .
    I don't really understand your post... ??? I play the main box fully (normally champ), and when free of the mouse (which is only used to assist movement or complex targetting) I operate the bot blind with my right hand with the abilities all bound to the keys and the keys marked braille style (which isnt necessary after awhile but it helps getting into the groove). I move with RDFG to enable my pinky to be responsible for 10 keys instead of 3, etc...
    I've been doing this for over 6 years in DAoC with main enchanter and bot mentalist & druid (3 keyboards no programs with druid using only 2 heals and buffs), and in LotRO with champion and minstrel... though I do have 3 founders accounts here I dont run 3 because none of the classes are effective enough fully passive to make running 3 worth it, and I dont have 3 hands so I can only operate the main and 1 bot.

Yes, I have 1 hand on each keyboard and that is how I play, looking at only 1 large screen with a second screen butted up against it (which is used only for complex positioning or trading). It works fine in my opinion once you know your classes and how they best work together, and I think anyone could do it this way if they trained themselves. It was much easier learning to do this than learning to type dvorak and still type well on qwerty. I am ambidextrous, but more than as people normally refer to it, including more than just writing with either hand as I draw and chisel equally with both hands. I am a professional artist and make my living this way. I'm only saying this to explain what is going on so you understand and can therefore better advise me. I never said anywhere that the main or bot would be afk - one is played fully and the other at halfish capacity depending on the encounters movement requirements.

My question is what class pairs best with warden, race to use, etc. I do expect to take down bosses by myself, because I have seen other wardens do it by themselves. If they can solo, I can solo as well, and with a bot hooked on played to 25-50% capacity (or more if it just heals or buffs) (assuming it does not require positioning which alters the attention on the main) it should not be difficult.

I hope explaining this in tmi detail helps avoid the generalizations so we can cut to the chase!

Thanks.
    Last edited by E_Loomis; Sep 23 2011 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geoboy View Post
    Cappy - big buffs, on the move heals and a herald - bot of a bot.
    Geo, do you think the benefits of the captain outweighs the loss of a form of stealth gained via hobbit/elf or the pull/feigndeath mechanic of the minstrel in trying to separate a boss from adds?

Maybe you should wait and see how things are in RoI, i.e - If champs self heals / bubbles make them better for soloing stuff, if finesse really does affect wardens more, thus reduces their abilty to solo bosses relative to other classes, if the gap between DPS of classes gets bigger, etc...

Also do you never group? Just you say your champ keeps dying (even with a mini healing) yet there is a guy in the champ forums Athelious (I think) who solos Tyrants, NCF, etc by himself without dual boxing, so I'm wondering if your gear is limited due to not doing raids, etc.* I realize the Athelious guy is obviously not your average player, but I would of thought with a mini healing you shouldn't have problems...

* - If that is the case RoI might be good news for you as allegedly a standard set of raid gear will be avaiable for skirmish marks / superior fourth marks. (a lot of skirmish marks...)
    Last edited by zimble; Sep 23 2011 at 09:24 AM.

I had a very successful duo with Warden/Loremaster. The Warden's achilles heel is power, not morale. So having the Loremaster to provide power is very useful. Loremaster's also have a couple of heals (which will be buffed in the expansion). The Loremaster can also hit the enemies for multiple debuffs, which makes things easier. And of course, you get to be stun-proof which is wonderful.

When dual-boxing, you need to consider reaction-based skills. In general, its tough to react on a second box. This makes guards poor second box characters due to the randomness of parries and blocks. Burgs are similarly tied to crit reactions. Loremasters have flanks. Captains have battle-ready state and defeat events to react to.

If you go with a loremaster, you will probably miss out on a lot of flanks. So it would be best to go with a build that doesn't rely on those flanks as much. Here's what I would do for an opening battle macro for the lore-master:
    Opener:
    SoP: Command (Cheap and quick debuff)
    SoP: Righteousness (stun-proof for the warden)
    Firelore: Melee debuff (on longer CD)

Damage rotation:
    SoP: Wizardry (DoT)
    Burning Embers (DoT and slow)
    Light of the Rising Dawn (Damage and Stun)
    Staff Strike
    Staff Sweep
    Test of Will (Damage and Stun--longer CD)

When you run low on power or morale, break the lore-master out of the damage rotation and use a heal or power transfer. Also, make sure to apply "SoP: See All Ends" when facing particularly hard hitting opponents. It will reduce his crit chance by a big chunk.

Running CC from a second box is likely to be tricky, so you'll probably only use CC at the beginning of the fight.

As always, running a character from a second box will be much less effective than having a human behind the keyboard. But with a lore-master, you are providing a lot of utility without generating a lot of threat. It could work out well, and would certainly be more fun for your wife when she steps in.

--Harperella
    [url=http://alesandtales.com]The Lonely Mountain Band[/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/freestyleharp]Freestyle![/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/winharperella]Winner: Top Guild Leader![/url]|[url=Weatherstock.guildlaunch.com]Weatherstock V[/url]

Thanks guys, these are great recommendations. I will look into that other champ and see what he has going on. My champ is not in raid gear, only my minstrel. The champ also does not have finished virtues, which Im sure matters, but it is heartening to hear I can improve matters!!! You are right in that much is changing and a little wait-and-see might be worth it!

Also I had never considered the LM because what I knew of it from raiding is that it is a very versatile class and it sounded too complex to run from the off-box... even though just watching them in t2 Gorth makes the class look a blast! But it does sound doable. It's understood the bot does not operate at peak efficiency and half is plenty good - they are more of an assistant than anything else... it also makes exploring fun =P

I do group where permissible, but a lot of times anymore people are off doing their own things, especially lately. It also feels unfair to me to run both characters in a group. It can also add to stress, which I avoid anymore, if the other person pulls a lot of aggro etc and doesn't dovetail with your setup... I don't like having to manage targetting on the bot because I have to look at the screen/keyboard to do it - and thats an instant loss on the mains performance.

I play on Landroval (raiding in Hobbitual and grouping with The Bounders or Tarnorili's crowd) as Reanigael. My wife is also a harper (not professionally), her harp is about 3' tall. It's gotten a lot of dust since the kids tho =( She says by the time she's done tuning someone needs her for something!
    Last edited by E_Loomis; Sep 23 2011 at 11:20 AM.

edited message
    Last edited by E_Loomis; Sep 30 2011 at 03:31 AM.

Any more input on this after the update?

Quote Originally Posted by E_Loomis View Post
    Any more input on this after the update?
    Captains are even more badass and easier to maintain buffs. (IDOME becoming a toggle skill)