We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Wardens & Small Groups

Hello there my little penguins!

Okay, so right down to business.
    Im going to be playing primarily with a couple friends, meaning very little solo, very few full groups, and in all honesty (at least for now) not many instances - My groupmates are a LM, and a HNTR, I would in all honesty like to roll a Warden, BUT!! I know that other than Tanking, and Soloing we rather fall short when it comes to filling another role, with that said - In a small adventuring party, would a Warden (when tanking isnt that important) become, shall we say worthless.. This is what I foresee... Hunter downing mobs in blinks of an eyes, LM ensuring that no mobs get to the hunter, and the warden, either getting to the mob to late, and if he DOES happen to close the distance in time, he can mearly 'pretend' to having an effect on the creatures health, before it falls to the floor, full of holes...

Tell me Im wrong, and if a Warden is even noticed in small groups, or if at all when not Tanking....

Thanks in advance and such my frosty little shakes, Ill catch you later!

Re: Wardens & Small Groups

Hunters are being somewhat nerfed. Warden DPS is being nerfed given that we're going to have to give up some DPS when we give up either spear capstone, JODF, or GMWT to slot WoTW.

But we will still shine in 3-mans, tanking and healing them both (I've done both without difficulty, and I'm sure most everyone else here has as well). We can even DPS in 3-mans and should be able to even after the changes.

So if you're in a small group, no need to worry. If you want to do larger group content, then you may be out of luck with the upcoming changes, but for small groups you should be golden - and able to do adequate DPS whilst tanking so that it isn't an issue.

Edited for clarity: I'm no waden, not even an uber-warden. I may have become a warrrden on a few occasions (those one-shot ungodly crtis that downed an elite master, though they have been few and far between - but they have happened). It's not like you're going to have to work extra-hard to get to the point of being able to tank + heal most 3-man content - we have those capabilities already, no gyrations necessary.
    Last edited by Chanah; Sep 22 2011 at 08:19 PM.

Tell me Im wrong, and if a Warden is even noticed in small groups, or if at all when not Tanking....
    In small groups, when tanking? Yes.

When not tanking? nope.

If you're just burning through solo landscape content with that group, then yeah, you're probably right, the hunter/LM will be doing most the work before you get to the mobs, and you'll be a bit of an afterthought.

As soon as it gets remotely serious though(3man instances/skirms/whatever), content that the hunter can't just faceroll through without you touching mobs, so you actually get to tank, wardens are very noticeable and useful. The ability to be both tank and healer is very useful, and with an LM to back you up, warden is a very strong character in 3man content.

Hmm.. Thanks for the information - Its as I thought...
    Im not sure how much instanced content we will be facing, and Im just not sure if playing a class with only a single role is for me, but dang - Wardens are awesome... DECISIONS!! Worthless and Cool, or Useful and easypeasylemongreasy...

So a couple days ago, at an off-hour there was me, a LM and an RK (fire spec), and we decided to 3-man GS, I know people have soloed it, but we burned through that instance like nothing. I was blue traited, and the LM (5 deep in Deep in DPS traits) equipped light of hope for spot healing - it was more than enough. And that's a (level 60) 6-man. When you pair a LM and a warden, they share healing duties and it works REALLY well. We can pump out a ton of heals if we can get enough power to do it (see loremaster power share).

As for the hunter, even if their DPS is a little lower than other top-tier DPS classes, it's still in the same ballpark, and will melt the faces off mobs all the same. You've got an awesome group. Go for it.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

Yeah, but you're going to be in Dol Dinen, Angmar, and Aguamar or similar places, just in LANDSCAPE content. And trust me, they'll want you then.

Had a funny experience on my 58 warden running with a 65 champ friend not too long ago. We ran into a nasty elite master and decided we'd go for it. Champ goes in, swords shing-shinging thinking to protect the little warden (before I'd had a chance to react - can't blame him, I have a champ alt myself, I get the temptation).

Champ ends up dead in 5 seconds. The little warden who needs protecting downs the elite master solo, losing no more than 10% of her health in the process.

Your hunter may do the same thing as the champ a few times. He WILL learn

With that group and mostly landscape, quite frankly, I'd go with an RK. All ranged dps for normal stuff, then you can switch to healing the bear for more difficult fare.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000237e4a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Keth(65 Warden), Tula(65 Hunter), Az(Champ and Warden), Ghaele(Cpt), Mahlya(Burg), Shilly(RK), Byrena(Guard), Kahnya(LM), Naht(Mini), Rea(Burg), and others
    Alt problem? *twitch* I ain't got no Alt problem! I can stop any time!

I considered the RK rout, and your right, an RK would be a better fit, but Im bored of RK - I wouldnt say I've "mastered" the class, by any means, but Im looking for more of a challenge I guess..
    Warden seemed to fit that fairly well, muscle memory, and the class just seems more visceral, y'know?
    /sigh I just dont know.. /ponder.

It's a very, very fun and addictive class to play. Roll a tiny toon. Gear him decently (though I'd say that for all the tiny toons - most people say gear doesn't matter at that level, but honestly, if you go into the newbie zones with the starter instance gear you'll start wondering why people say champs can DPS).

Play for an evening, do your 15 class quest for a taste of what's to come (just a small one).

I reckon you'll be hooked by then. My RK doesn't come out to play often anymore. And as other people have noted, wardens and LMs are a match made in heaven.

Alternatively, you could roll a burg - slow to fruition but they're another class that's a blast to play, and can do quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by geoboy View Post
    So a couple days ago, at an off-hour there was me, a LM and an RK (fire spec), and we decided to 3-man GS, I know people have soloed it, but we burned through that instance like nothing. I was blue traited, and the LM (5 deep in Deep in DPS traits) equipped light of hope for spot healing - it was more than enough. And that's a (level 60) 6-man. When you pair a LM and a warden, they share healing duties and it works REALLY well. We can pump out a ton of heals if we can get enough power to do it (see loremaster power share).

As for the hunter, even if their DPS is a little lower than other top-tier DPS classes, it's still in the same ballpark, and will melt the faces off mobs all the same. You've got an awesome group. Go for it.
    Isn't it theoretically a level 56 instance? At least that is what I think it says in the instance join.
    85 RK | 85 CHMP | 75 BRG | many others

Quote Originally Posted by Brummagem View Post
    I considered the RK rout, and your right, an RK would be a better fit, but Im bored of RK - I wouldnt say I've "mastered" the class, by any means, but Im looking for more of a challenge I guess..
    Warden seemed to fit that fairly well, muscle memory, and the class just seems more visceral, y'know?
    /sigh I just dont know.. /ponder.
    Problem is that, in the vast majority of landscape action, a meleer with two ranged dps will feel like a spare.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000237e4a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Keth(65 Warden), Tula(65 Hunter), Az(Champ and Warden), Ghaele(Cpt), Mahlya(Burg), Shilly(RK), Byrena(Guard), Kahnya(LM), Naht(Mini), Rea(Burg), and others
    Alt problem? *twitch* I ain't got no Alt problem! I can stop any time!

Yeah.. Even other Melee toons would either DPS, or CC (Champ/Burg) would bring something else to the table, but when not utilizing my 'Tanking' role, I got nothing.
    I am used to /other/ MMOs were most classes have two, or more roles, even with LotRO the Guardian can DPS without looking the fool, so I dont know - Maybe I'll just do it anyways and face the consequences later.. Just seems like the Warden SHOULD be able to DPS, or something - I feel like the class is punished for having a fun play-style or something, but thast my angry face talking.

And I have a Burg, love him to death, but dislike having two toons of the same class.

Warden DPS isn't as terrible as many claim.
    ProTip: Don't attack the same mob the two attack.
    Instead of you 3 following each other and attacking the same mob; attack 2-3 different mobs. Or fight in areas that are congested with lots of aggro mobs and fight mobs 2-3 levels above yours.

For me the first fun group I was in was killing the elite goblins and spiders in LL.
    There isn't much group content and most mobs are easy to steam roll while solo so your going to have to find ways to actually have fun while grouped rather than feel like your grinding towards Lv65
    [COLOR=SeaGreen][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020100002ee48c/signature.png]Venobyte[/charsig]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=Black]Terrabyte[/COLOR] - Brinson - Arvein - Aviente

Quote Originally Posted by KahnyaGnorc View Post
    Problem is that, in the vast majority of landscape action, a meleer with two ranged dps will feel like a spare.
    Someone needs to go loot all the corpses!

But seriously, this trio will rock when pushed into a tough situation and the warden will shine. Landscape you'll blow through no matter what 3 characters you roll. Once you get skimishes, your warden will get a chance to shine in 3-man skirms. Once your hunter and LM have to deal more than 3 mobs they'll be very thankful for the AoE threat and tanking ability of the warden. Stick a RK in the same 3-man skirmish and they'll all be slaughtered.

--Harper
    [url=http://alesandtales.com]The Lonely Mountain Band[/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/freestyleharp]Freestyle![/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/winharperella]Winner: Top Guild Leader![/url]|[url=Weatherstock.guildlaunch.com]Weatherstock V[/url]