We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Black Dye Recipe

I would like to sugjest that the black dye recipe be placed for sale in the store. This is one of the rarest yet most wanted of all the dye colors. This solves two issues one is supply on demand , the other is that people will have to stop overpriceing the dye on the AH.

Re: Black Dye Recipe

Black dye is for sale for 100 tp in the store already
    [url]http://joel-end.blogspot.com/[/url]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000001d6c/01005/signature.png]Hoppa[/charsig]

The "overpricing" isn't due to the rarity of the recipe, but the relative scarcity of the main ingredient, iron oxides. Add to that the fact that Scholars need to buy or trade for the ingredient, because only prospectors can get it, and yes, you have the makings of an expensive dye. (Although, I should say that purple and crimson sell for similar amounts on my server at least.)
    [i][color=#dbb953]"Yet there may be a light beyond the darkness; and if so, I would have you see it and be glad."[/color][/i]

AW: Black Dye Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck1771 View Post
    I would like to sugjest that the black dye recipe be placed for sale in the store. This is one of the rarest yet most wanted of all the dye colors. This solves two issues one is supply on demand , the other is that people will have to stop overpriceing the dye on the AH.
    Why don't you buy the dye directly in the store?
    Or- you could get it much easier- your prospector is able to get the iron oxides, why don't you ask a friendly scholar to make this dye for you?
    And- don't forget that the "normal" black dye is only the crit of brown dye... other possibility is only the scholars-guild recipe.
    [CENTER]Lange Tage und angenehme Nächte - Long days and pleasant nights
    ---Moon is full, never seems to change...---

[/CENTER]

The recipe is not the problem, it's a pretty common drop. Like stated before black dye is a crit item from brown dye. The scholar recipe needs a scroll and sometimes there are more important things to use those on.

p.s. There is no overpricing, it's a free market. People can bid and/or pay whatever they think is appropriate.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000212bd/signature.png]Raran[/charsig]

I'm curious, what do you feel would be a fair price for black dye? What does it even mean for a completely unnecessary item, which gives absolutely no advantage whatsoever in gameplay, to be "overpriced"? It currently runs from 200S to 400S from what I see here, at least on my server. You'd like it for less, I guess, maybe 100S? Or is that too high? What price would meet with your important approval?

I don't suppose you've considered that the problem isn't rarity of the recipe -- the only black dye recipe that exists can be bought in game in the scholar's guild, and the rust recipe (which crits to black) isn't very rare from all the drops I've gotten of it -- but rather the irritation that comes from gathering the necessary mats?

I also love this note about how this "solves two issues." Not having a glut of supply of black dye rises to the dignity of being an issue? I'm curious what makes it an issue. Do you cry out in pain or maybe have a seizure every time you see someone wearing something other than black? Have you consulted a doctor on this?

I would think that is the very reason why they are like now.

By the way, overpricing isn't the real issue.
    People buying it for what you think overpriced is the issue.
    If nobody buys it, the price will automatically go down.

If you are not satisfied... I recommend you to make your own scholar.
    You will find it not that hard to make a couple dozens of black dye, if you have a prospector.
    In fact, I got quite a lot of them just by training my scholar even without using the crit mats/scrolls.

Lastly, we do not use dyes that often, thanks to cosmetic outfits.
    Having something somewhat challenging to obtain now and then is the very source of fun to me.
    If it becomes super easy to do whatever I want... I will be very disappointed for not being able to have sense of achievement in this game.

Well that's the point the ingredients for black dye can only be found in ancient iron deposits....While white is found in kazad-copper i believe...
    Don't forget that black is a CRITED dye, so unless you use the guild recipe there isn't a 100% change you get it....

Personally i don't have a problem with it, i just go out and get them from prospecting, i can use the metal, the crit items and since we have a supreme scholar in our kin it's quite easy....but yes no prospecting is hard to get the dyes..

Just asking how much do they charge for them? because on vilya they ask 1-2G's for 5 dyes...

MT
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000241100/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Black dye is NOT overpriced. In the summer of '07 I was posting them on the AH for 1 to 1.5 gold a piece, and they were selling like hotcakes. Red dyes were selling for over 500 silver. At the time, players were filthy rich if they had over 20 gold. These days, there are ways to make 20 gold in a day, if you set yourself to the task. Personally, I have stopped making and selling black dye (or any dyes for that matter). It is not profitable enough to spend the time prospecting for Iron Oxides, and people charge enough for Iron Oxides on the AH that I can't reliably make a profit if I buy it.
    Last edited by SGWB; Sep 23 2011 at 02:16 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by MTminas View Post
    Well that's the point the ingredients for black dye can only be found in ancient iron deposits....While white is found in kazad-copper i believe...
    Don't forget that black is a CRITED dye, so unless you use the guild recipe there isn't a 100% change you get it....

Personally i don't have a problem with it, i just go out and get them from prospecting, i can use the metal, the crit items and since we have a supreme scholar in our kin it's quite easy....but yes no prospecting is hard to get the dyes..

Just asking how much do they charge for them? because on vilya they ask 1-2G's for 5 dyes...

MT
    I'm on Vilya, buy them from me. I sell them weekly on the AH for 950-980 silver. I know I can sell them for more, but I'm nice.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001736f3/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    |Princess Yasmyne Parvaneh - LM| Darling Andena Duran -RK| Barmaid Dahalia Sevingy - Guard|

Quote Originally Posted by YasminParvaneh View Post
    I'm on Vilya, buy them from me. I sell them weekly on the AH for 950-980 silver. I know I can sell them for more, but I'm nice.
    Lol ill consider it, but i meant that the general prices are around this price...
    I do think i got 10 dyes in my vault....oxides come easy if you actually NEED Ancient iron
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000241100/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Considering they never "go bad" once you use them, so you only ever need to use 1 per item (and you can share that cosmetically via wardrobe, to boot), I dont think its really too much to have to pay 1G for it on the AH, if you're too bothered to make it yourself via alts.

Realistically, you know a lot of players would want to go all-black because it looks "so cool" or whatever. Thats not really lore-appropriate (since black is the color of the Enemy), its not really aesthetically pleasing (who wants to see Bree-town looking like its overrun with ninjas?), and so thats why black dye is only available as a crit recipe - to keep it purposefully rare and hard to acquire.

The recipie is easy to get as others have said. If you truely feel that they are over priced go ahead and collect all the required matterials and ask a scholar to make them for youi. My guess is that most scholars will be happy to make them for free if you provide all the matterials. This will also give you a better idea of how much work is involved in making the dye. Most non scholars dont have any idea how much work is involved in gatthering the scholar mats and just say the scholar items are over priced. Its not like gathering wood and ore, you have to stay in the ruins to find scholar chest to pull mats and crit items. And to get a go return on the black dye vs rust dye you want the crit item. Other crafters can gather thier matterials while questing. Scholars dont get to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleRose3 View Post
    Most non scholars dont have any idea how much work is involved in gatthering the scholar mats and just say the scholar items are over priced.
    Very true, i never fully apreciated scholars due to thinking matts were overpriced till i made ones myself...
    The plants for dyes are ramdomly found while others come from prospecting....and the shatered pitchers, ancient vases etc... can't be found in open places, ancient ruins and broken down buildings are generally the places to search..

But i did notice that scholars can make a lot more usefull stuff then i and probably others anticipate, the battle lores are extremely usefull

MT