We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New player new home?

Just started the LOTRO journey today. Played EQ for years and then WoW from vanilla up through WOTLK. Tired of the constant time sink/grind required to competitive in WoW, and I won't even start talking about the horrible community in that game.

Would Crick be a good place for a casual new player to roll a character or two? Basically looking to enjoy the lore and community in the game.

Re: New player new home?

We'd love to have you join us! I really like the community on this server at least. I've played others briefly but never really felt like sticking to them.

And if you roll an elf and want a roleplay group, my kinship could probably take you in too... /shamelesskinplug-daroamaetho

Welcome to Crickhollow! We're one of the smaller servers, but very friendly. Hope you enjoy your stay here!

I have no experience with any of the other servers, but we're a pretty comfortable community without much of the drama I read about elsewhere. I'm not sure it's accurate that we are a small population server any more, though. What is true is that we have a nice mixture of serious gamers, casual gamers and role-players. Crick is not a role-playing server, but is known to be a RP-welcoming server, with a number of very active RP kins and RP-encouraged kins.

Thanks for the replies. Elf Hunter is my current character, however I have only done the lvl 1 - 2 tutorial thus far. Did not want to go to far until I found a server to stick with. I assume I will not see too many people until I reach a certain level, Just curious what level that is, and where do most people gather in game?

Hey welcome to Crickhollow where we have cool people like me . but really i love this server to death im born and Raised on this server so i don't know about other ones but i can tell you ive had Fun and never forget moments on this server. i have been meeting new people every day and thats just awsome. The place to be now is in 21st hall in moria lvl 50+ but the most of the talk is in Glff i know its not the place but still fun place to talk and have some good laughs. in all i love this server and feel Free to add me to your friends list if you want and you can talk to me any time you want (if im on ).

Sletho
    Crazy hobbit warden
    The one the only Sletho

Thank you guys for the reply and I lookforward to metting everyone in-game.

I'll echo the rest of the posts in this thread by saying that Crickhollow is a great place for a new player. It is one of the mid-sized servers, which means you should be able to find people to play with but there is not too much competition for resources. I've spent some time on 5 different servers, but the community here was the best match for me. You may want to sample a few different servers before committing, but I think in the end finding the right kinship (LOTROspeak for guild) is perhaps even more important. This server is full of a number of good ones.

I actually started out with an elf hunter myself. It's a good class for learning the game. I eventually got a bit bored with the class, but it is always a comfortable one to switch back over to even after a long layoff. Just don't be put off by the slurs against hunters (as a healer I know that the other classes can mess up just as often).

Right now you may find a good number of people on alts (in addition to other new players like yourself), but with a new expansion out next week the low level population will thin out a bit. I encourage you to stick it out, though. Make friends and contacts as you level and reach out to those who are playing around you.

If you have any questions or would like anything crafted for you, feel free to contact me on Rosalie. Happy hunting!
    Rosalie from Crickhollow's Second Breakfast
    Community events reporter at http://lotroplayers.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Visit http://secondbreakfast.guildlaunch.com & http://crickhollowmusic.guildlaunch.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Second Breakfast's weekly events--Fridays 9pm: Bread & Jam at the Prancing Pony
    Saturdays 1pm: Breakfast Club plays at Bree-town's South Gate
    Saturdays 4:30pm: Dulcet Tones play at the fountain in front of the Pony
    Sundays at 11am and Mondays at 11pm: Elevenses at the Bird & Baby
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Find out about the kinships of Crickhollow at crickhollowkins.tumblr.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wink Re: New player new home?

Quote Originally Posted by yossalu View Post
    I'll echo the rest of the posts in this thread by saying that Crickhollow is a great place for a new player. It is one of the mid-sized servers, which means you should be able to find people to play with but there is not too much competition for resources. I've spent some time on 5 different servers, but the community here was the best match for me. You may want to sample a few different servers before committing, but I think in the end finding the right kinship (LOTROspeak for guild) is perhaps even more important. This server is full of a number of good ones.

I actually started out with an elf hunter myself. It's a good class for learning the game. I eventually got a bit bored with the class, but it is always a comfortable one to switch back over to even after a long layoff. Just don't be put off by the slurs against hunters (as a healer I know that the other classes can mess up just as often).

Right now you may find a good number of people on alts (in addition to other new players like yourself), but with a new expansion out next week the low level population will thin out a bit. I encourage you to stick it out, though. Make friends and contacts as you level and reach out to those who are playing around you.

If you have any questions or would like anything crafted for you, feel free to contact me on Rosalie. Happy hunting!

Oh no hunters have that same stigma as in the other game a?

I played all the major roles, healer tank dps always worried abt being top of the charts. I jist want a game to enjoy not a second job ;-)

Ive been switchin between hunter and ....the one with the owl pet. Enjoy both so far but still trying to get used to everything...especially thr UI. can the UI be changed/customized?

Anyway thank you all again and I hope to run into all of u soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Disident View Post
    Oh no hunters have that same stigma as in the other game a?

I played all the major roles, healer tank dps always worried abt being top of the charts. I jist want a game to enjoy not a second job ;-)

Ive been switchin between hunter and ....the one with the owl pet. Enjoy both so far but still trying to get used to everything...especially thr UI. can the UI be changed/customized?

Anyway thank you all again and I hope to run into all of u soon.
    Owl pet? You mean Raven?

As far as the UI goes, type ctrl + \ and rearrange it how you see fit.

Oh forgot to mention...Character name: Epicyon

Thanks again

Well I am really enjoying playing, so much so that I bought the preorder and am now premium. Met a couple of friendly.elves along the way also. The 25% xp bonus from the preorder is pretty darn nice also. :-) I plan to pick up MoM expansion at.some point also for the extra classes and the 1 month of vip and all thr benefits that brings.

Again look forward to seeing everyone in game.

Ive been switchin between hunter and ....the one with the owl pet.
    An owl pet would be awesome!!! Can I get a HOOT HOOT!

Welcome to Crickhollow and LoTRO! This game is much more fun than EQ and WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngi View Post
    An owl pet would be awesome!!! Can I get a HOOT HOOT!

Welcome to Crickhollow and LoTRO! This game is much more fun than EQ and WoW.
    lol..yea Owl/Raven whatever it was it is a Bear now!

I am having loads of fun though, the only thing I dislike at the moment is the lack of storage space, which I know will improve, but I am such a pack rat it is making things tough.

I really love doing tradeskills, so I feel I have to save everything, that combined with not really knowing what I will and won't need means full bank and full bags all the time!

Welcome to Crickhollow, feel free to shoot me a tell on any of my characters if you ever need a hand with fellowship quests or anything.

I have characters ranging from 6-30s currently.

Thumbs up Re: New player new home?

Hello!
    I'm a new player as well and I love it here!
    Folks are just so nice and dandy!

Recently I've gone out of my way and got me a rune-keeper.

Dwarf+rune-keeper+Crickhollow= fun no end.
    Fun fun fun.

I am having loads of fun though, the only thing I dislike at the moment is the lack of storage space, which I know will improve, but I am such a pack rat it is making things tough.
    If you're a true pack rat, it may actually not get much better even when you do know what you're going to need for crafting. With all five bags, maxed out vaults, house storage, alts, alts' kin house storage... I'm still finding myself short on space.

Ishumi, welcome to the server!

Thumbs up Re: New player new home?

Welcome to LOTRO, if you've got the system to run the client in Ultra-High DirectX 11, I strongly suggest it. The environments/regions/landscapes are really nice compared to some other MMOs out there.

@Clepto I really agree. I play on a mostly broken laptop with wifi and all the settings at their lowest, but I had the opportunity of playing on a really nice gaming computer a few times, and it was like playing an entirely different game, loved the experience.

Welcome to Crick, I played wow from orig to wotlk as well. Coming from a high volume wow server to Crick was a pleasant change. We have a good community atmosphere, once you hit lvl cap it seems everyone knows everyone. So even pug groups dont really feel like pug groups.

If you find yourself running low on bag space you may want to consider becoming vip for a month, and unlocking the 5 bag slots as well as gold cap removal.

Hope you enjoy your stay here
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000004bc8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Welcome to the server. Feel free to look me up if you need anything (Name a level range, I probably have a toon there, lol). My main is Ssenir, a 66 hunter, although to be honest I play my captain Carolin a lot more.

And, if you're looking for a kinship, there are lots of good ones on this server as well... Justified, Second Breakfast, Oort Cloud, just to name a few, depending on what you're looking for in a kinship.