We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Re: X-fi Users Rejoice! (Creative Releases Drivers to Fix BSOD Issue)

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusLSC View Post
    It was the game update that triggered this known flaw in the drivers, as i've ran it in hardware mode with uax enabled before this update and it was fine. Turbine has acknowledged this too now. Their soution as well as yours is to use an unsupported driver, though I bet in the next update the hardware mode/uax will suddenly start working fine again (as it has in the past.) But no, this isn't the games fault?!
    No. It is not the game's fault. Unless you have a bizarre understanding of the word "fault."

Let's say you have a piano. . . and through a bizarre mishap, the key on the far right of that piano is somehow wired up so that when it is pressed a big cartoony looking boxing glove comes out and punches you in the gut.

Now, your whole life, you've only played five songs all in the lower octaves. . . and you've never had cause to press that highest key. You have lived your life happily never getting punched in the gut by this flaw in the piano.

Then, however, you get some new sheet music, or you decide that you will play your sheet music in a higher octave, so you begin using that faulty key. . . a lot. And suddenly you're getting punched in the gut all the time.

Do you blame the sheet music makers? Of course not. . . the key in the piano is flawed. Not the music. Your piano should not be deploying a boxing glove and punching you in the gut no matter what the sheet music says!!!

Do you approach the people who made the sheet music and ask them to make sure their music never uses that key? Of course not! They would tell you that they will write proper music and that the problem with your piano needs to be fixed by the piano manufacturer.

Back in the real world. . . the flaw is with the driver (piano). There are drivers available without that flaw. It simply just isn't "how things work" that you should expect to be able to tell Turbine to stop doing things to trigger that flaw. Turbine is writing code to the OpenAL standard. They should be expected to be able to do so. Asking them to cease doing so is not a reasonable request.

Both Creative and Turbine need to respect the OpenAL standard and write their code (Turbine) and drivers (Creative) in such a way that OpenAL functions according to specs without problems. Creative was not doing so with their older driver. But both now do (as long as you're using the newest Creative drivers). Needing to run the newest Creative driver is not Turbine's fault. Nor is it reasonable to ask them to stop writing proper code so that you won't have to run Creative's latest drivers.

Honestly, it's somewhat bizarre to see how much you're willing to twist things in order to spread the blame beyond where it belongs. Turbine is responsible for writing their audio code properly. They are not responsible for working around problems in Creative's old drivers for which a replacement already exists. You really have to twist things around or have some anti-Turbine agenda to make this Turbine's responsibility in light of the facts. Though, I should point out that Turbine was instrumental in getting Creative to fix their drivers (that is something they can/should do, and they did it!).

--H
    Last edited by Hurin; May 22 2012 at 07:13 PM.

The point I was trying to make was that I used hardware mode with EAX enables hours before the update with no issues at all, and was hard set at that being the prover to my thouht it was the games fault.
    Wether or not I had issues in the past though, you are right that I shouldn't say it should be Turbine fixing it though (your last analogy is good ) I've contacted Creative to see what they will do...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

(your last analogy is good )
    Thanks! I chuckled a bit while I wrote it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Thanks! I chuckled a bit while I wrote it.
    Now to start this over again with Creative
    Last edited by IcarusLSC; Dec 29 2014 at 11:06 PM.
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Probably becasue I'm sure by now you want to toss me a few shots to the gut

Now to start this over again with Creative
    Perhaps the reason nobody up until now has taken issue with needing to run beta drivers is because we suffered with this problem for years. So by the time Creative released the beta drivers that fixed it, we were all so relieved/grateful that asking for anything more (WHQL signing, etc.) seemed like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Honestly though, my advice would be to uninstall the old drivers, install the new ones, and then if you need to contact anyone's tech support, reverse that procedure first.

Good luck with Creative though. Can't hurt to ask (though I suspect you'll be politely brushed off).

--H

P.S. My apologies for doubting your motives/sincerity earlier. Perhaps I am getting paranoid now, but I had my reasons to suspect I might be getting. . . tweaked. . . given some recent events. But that's no excuse to question your "good faith" without real cause. Again, my humblest apologies.

It has been a solid week since I posted here, with hours and hours of gaming in LOTRO, and after installing the Creative Beta driver still not one single BSOD or lock up. Can't see any reason why one wouldn't at least try the beta driver. To be honest it pisses me off that Creative hasn't released a WHQL driver in over a year (July 26, 2010 actually!). I think I may go with a different sound card manufacturer next time that provides better driver support.
    Last edited by Horcus; May 23 2012 at 10:10 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000274ab0/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

This issue is back with latest driver version 2.30.04!

Quote Originally Posted by Seedless View Post
    This issue is back with latest driver version 2.30.04!
    I had the same problem. I was forced to revert to the 2.18.0015 driver to prevent any BSODs when starting LOTRO. I haven't had any problems sticking with the old drivers yet in Windows 7 but this might cause more problems for people with Windows 8 and X-Fi sound cards. I don't plan on upgrading to Windows 8 any time soon so I can't test that.

support for x-fi

The following are the details for the 2.18 driver from Creative. It looks like the SB X-Fi card is supported along with the other versions. Anyone try this driver yet for the X-Fi? Right now, the only way I can play LOTRO is with my SB X-Fi card disabled.

Release date : 16 Feb 11
    File Name : SBXF_PCDRV_XPVT_LB_2_18_0015.e xe
    This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows® support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.
    This download supports the following audio devices only:
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty® Professional Series
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Fixes:
    Resolves the following issues:
    • System taking more than two minutes to shut down.
    • PowerDVD® DX 8.3 (Dell® version) not working properly.
    • Passthrough of Dolby®/DTS® audio to an external decoder not working with Windows Media Player 12.
    Requirements:
    • Microsoft Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit with Service Pack 1 or higher, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher, Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2004 or later
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above
    Notes:
    • Do not install this driver for Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.
    • To install this driver
    1. Download the SBXF_PCDRV_XPVT_LB_2_18_0015.e xe file onto your local hard disk.
    2. Double-click the downloaded file.
    3. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Smile SB X-FI card new driver!

I can confirm that the driver listed below will work for plain old SB x-fi cards. I no longer have game crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by qeqivah View Post
    The following are the details for the 2.18 driver from Creative. It looks like the SB X-Fi card is supported along with the other versions. Anyone try this driver yet for the X-Fi? Right now, the only way I can play LOTRO is with my SB X-Fi card disabled.

Release date : 16 Feb 11
    File Name : SBXF_PCDRV_XPVT_LB_2_18_0015.e xe
    This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows® support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.
    This download supports the following audio devices only:
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty® Professional Series
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Fixes:
    Resolves the following issues:
    • System taking more than two minutes to shut down.
    • PowerDVD® DX 8.3 (Dell® version) not working properly.
    • Passthrough of Dolby®/DTS® audio to an external decoder not working with Windows Media Player 12.
    Requirements:
    • Microsoft Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit with Service Pack 1 or higher, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher, Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2004 or later
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above
    Notes:
    • Do not install this driver for Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.
    • To install this driver
    1. Download the SBXF_PCDRV_XPVT_LB_2_18_0015.e xe file onto your local hard disk.
    2. Double-click the downloaded file.
    3. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenStrider View Post
    I had the same problem. I was forced to revert to the 2.18.0015 driver to prevent any BSODs when starting LOTRO. I haven't had any problems sticking with the old drivers yet in Windows 7 but this might cause more problems for people with Windows 8 and X-Fi sound cards. I don't plan on upgrading to Windows 8 any time soon so I can't test that.
    I can confirm that this issue is back. And you are right, on windows 8 systems this is a huge problem. I had (was forced to) upgrade to the new drivers from 2.18.0015 as otherwise windows 8 wouldn't upgrade. The new drivers cause a bsod as soon as the game tries to start. At this point one can't even get to the title screen with the latest drivers. In my opinion this should be a high priority gamebreaking bug. The driver could be borked, but I suspect that the real fault lies inside the lotro client as no other game I've played has these issues.

Downgrading to the previous driver isn't an option as the installation for that driver simply refuses to install on windows 8. Until this is fixed I simply can not play the game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000af3cc/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Just a quick FYI. . . I'm going to be starting a new thread to try to troubleshoot, work around, and document the new issue now affecting full-fledged x-fi cards that perform hardware-acceleration within LotRO (not all "x-fi" cards actually do this).

There have been (now confirmed and fully documented) reports that the newest x-fi driver (release March 7, 2014) breaks hardware accelerated audio in LotRO. Basically, as you play, more and more sounds drop out until you are finally playing in near-silence.

Why now if this has been going on since March? Well. . .

• The beta driver (XFTI_PCDRVBETA_US_2_17_0008.e xe, for pci-e versions) that finally fixed the BSOD issues and doesn't suffer from this new issue is actually no longer hosted on Creative's website. I'm loathe to post it elsewhere myself due to licensing/restrictions. But if anyone still wants it, I can help you find it (PM me).
    • That old beta driver does not install properly in Windows 8.1 (the Creative Control Panel does not install along with the driver).
    • While best for LotRO, that old beta driver has other non-LotRO-specific issues: Creative Control Panel settings not being remembered unless you have the computer "sleep" after changing a setting, Upon Windows boot, occasionally card will only make a squeeling sound via DTS/digital output (not sure if this affects analog as well), etc.

Currently, you can play LotRO with full hardware-accelerated sound, but only with the beta driver that is no longer provided and only if you work around the Windows 8/8.1 installation issues. I'll likely post the work-around for getting the old beta driver working in Windows 8/8.1 in the new thread.

Please keep in mind that hardware acceleration for sound in gaming is falling a bit by the wayside (very few modern sound cards, even from Creative, actually have OpenAL acceleration as a feature anymore, it's all off-loaded to the CPU and done "in software") and it may be difficult to bring the proper amount of attention to this issue. However, we won't know until we try!

Thanks everyone for all your kind words in this thread back when it offered a solution to the long-standing BSOD issue. Here's hoping we can get a new driver that retains the BSOD fix and addresses the issue introduced in the March 2014 driver.

--H
    Last edited by Hurin; Jan 29 2015 at 12:19 PM.

Creative blamed the sound card in my case and I replaced it 2x as it was out of warranty and the new ones did the same. I bought a new computer and tossed the xfi card in the garbage fwiw...
    Last edited by IcarusLSC; Jun 26 2018 at 01:04 AM.
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

dl2z12's backlink

Nice post. Thanks!

command line ftp

Confirmed that X-Fi drivers no longer work on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

After selecting the server and pressing play, the computer will BSOD and reboot. Sometimes with the message: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (ha20x2k.sys)

This does seem to be an incompatibility between LOTRO and the creative drivers.
    I tried on Windows 8.1, driver version 6.0.230.4 dated 2/28/2014
    And on Windows 10, driver version 6.0.230.10 dated 9/4/2015
    Both crash in the same way.

If anyone has an idea to fix this, please post. Next I'm going to try my motherboard audio instead of the X-Fi.

Built another PC with a Xfi card and crashing again with the newest drivers from them and updated game. Only I game I have this issue in, so will be blaming the game from now on as I have replaced the card 2x in a previous system and it was that according to all but it didn't fix the issue...

Exclamation

Windows 10, X-FI Xtreme Gamer sound card, latest drivers (SBXF_PCDRV_L11_2_30_0011) -> BSOD
    Any chance to run LotRO with this sound card nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Liahimar View Post
    Windows 10, X-FI Xtreme Gamer sound card, latest drivers (SBXF_PCDRV_L11_2_30_0011) -> BSOD
    Any chance to run LotRO with this sound card nowadays?
    For me the same. I get an BSOD. Same System. Plz Hlp.

I am also getting a BSOD: Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal , when I try to run LOTRO (and also DDO). Once I select a server on the launcher and click play, it goes to blue screen. I have a 3 Ghz quad core processor, Win 10 64 bit, 8 GB of Ram, a 2 TB hard drive, 2 GB Geforce GTX 670, and an X-fi XtremeGamer Creative Sound blaster card. All drivers are updated. LOTRO worked before in the past, but not now. Are there any ways to get it to work? Thanks.

I found a solution to get LOTRO working with an X-Fi card, and how to avoid the blue screen (BSOD) that came up. Since I had a similar problem in Dungeons and Dragons Online, I asked for help on the DDO board here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ing-to-run-DDO .

I got an answer that worked. To quote from the page and apply the DDO solution to LOTRO, basically go to 'The Lord of the Rings Online' folder under documents and find the userpreferences ini file. Edit and replace the Sound section with this:

[Sound]
    DMTextVolume=0.00
    MaxPlayingSounds=8
    SoundFeatures=Software
    SoundDisabled=True
    EAXEnabled=False
    UIVolume=0.00
    SoundProvider=OpenAL
    MusicVolume=0.00
    MusicDisabled=True
    SoundVolume=0.00
    PlayerMusicVolume=1.00
    VOVolume=0.00

This should allow the game to start with no sound.

Now start the game, and it should work. Go to Options, audio, and immediately make sure the Sound device is Generic Software Audio and not X-Fi. Then turn the sound in the Options back on, and the game works. Yes, it is without X-Fi or EAX, but at least the game works now!

Maybe this solution should be stickied? Assuming it also helps others...
    Last edited by Yistaan; Aug 03 2017 at 11:36 AM.

BSOD on launch

I'm trying to reinstall the game through steam but i can't get past selecting a server. once i hit play i get the blue screen. On the blue screen it says

Stop code: driver IRQL not less or equal
    What failed: ha20x2k.sys

I've tried uninstalling the sound drivers for my creative sound blaster x-fi card and doing a fresh install with the latest drivers. This is the only game that does this. I have windows 10 64-bit. Any solutions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by isaacAA View Post
    I'm trying to reinstall the game through steam but i can't get past selecting a server. once i hit play i get the blue screen. On the blue screen it says

Stop code: driver IRQL not less or equal
    What failed: ha20x2k.sys

I've tried uninstalling the sound drivers for my creative sound blaster x-fi card and doing a fresh install with the latest drivers. This is the only game that does this. I have windows 10 64-bit. Any solutions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Sorry for the late reply. Make sure your card is on entertainment mode, not game mode. Then follow below:

I found a solution to get LOTRO working with an X-Fi card, and how to avoid the blue screen (BSOD) that came up. Since I had a similar problem in Dungeons and Dragons Online, I asked for help on the DDO board here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ing-to-run-DDO .

I got an answer that worked. To quote from the page and apply the DDO solution to LOTRO, basically go to 'The Lord of the Rings Online' folder under documents and find the userpreferences ini file. Edit and replace the Sound section with this:

[Sound]
    DMTextVolume=0.00
    MaxPlayingSounds=8
    SoundFeatures=Software
    SoundDisabled=True
    EAXEnabled=False
    UIVolume=0.00
    SoundProvider=OpenAL
    MusicVolume=0.00
    MusicDisabled=True
    SoundVolume=0.00
    PlayerMusicVolume=1.00
    VOVolume=0.00

This should allow the game to start with no sound.

Now start the game, and it should work. Go to Options, audio, and immediately make sure the Sound device is Generic Software Audio and not X-Fi. Then turn the sound in the Options back on, and the game works. Yes, it is without X-Fi or EAX, but at least the game works now!

Maybe this solution should be stickied? Assuming it also helps others...

They really need to fix the GAME. So many issues and bugs now, lag, etc...
    All these devs sitting around at home and they still can't work on it?!
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8